Black Chai Blend
Cocoa, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Melon, Vanilla, Malt, Smooth, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Cardamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy, Butter, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cedar, Creamy, Pine, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “I have been eyeing WP teas for a while now, but couldn’t resist a promo sample offer that was posted recently. When my cup is hot, I get a ton of clove and some cardamon to back it up. There...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 713 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! I’ve had a reasonably bad cold since Thursday evening, so I’ve mostly been drinking comforting teas that I’m familiar with. There’s no point trying something new...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1637 tasting notes
  • “I believe this sample was old or suffered from Ziploc flavour loss. I received it in a swap and, do to my backlog, waited far too long to sample it. It wasn’t the delight that every other...” Read full tasting note
    TeaNTees 117 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another hit for the day. In ordering this chai, I was hoping for a chai that didn’t need milk and sugar, since those are off limits for the time being. This fit the bill perfectly. ...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 636 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Legend of El Dorado tells of a majestic place deep in the wilderness of South America. With streets paved of gold and sacred temples of silver, this mythical place was filled with riches…

Luckily for you, you don’t have to search the jungles of South America in search of untold riches, for you can find them in your cup with El Dorado Chai! With a base of our Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black, hand-cut Madagascar vanilla, holy basil and the four classic masala chai spices, you’re sure to strike gold with your first sip!

This lightly-spiced masala chai is smoother than a street of gold and sweeter than untouched jungle spring water. El Dorado Chai opens with pure wildflower honey and creamy vanilla, giving way to a hint of pine. The body is rich like a fresh croissant filled with the finest dark chocolate. A warm, tingling spice lingers near the end of the sip, reminiscent of the sweet spices on an apple pie crust. The finish is mouthwatering, with a full honey sweetness and a touch of malt.

Enjoy the immeasurable riches of this golden chai fit for the Gods!

""Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied—
“If you seek for Eldorado!”

-Edgar Allen Poe

Notes: Honey, Chocolate-Filled Croissant, Cream, Pine, Vanilla, Malt, Apple Pie Crust

Ingredients: Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black Tea, Organic Ginger, Organic Cardamom, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Allspice, Organic Tulsi, Hand-Cut Madagascar Vanilla Beans

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I have been eyeing WP teas for a while now, but couldn’t resist a promo sample offer that was posted recently. When my cup is hot, I get a ton of clove and some cardamon to back it up. There is a little malt in the back of the taste that comes out a little more as the cup cools. It has an overall hearty taste and is well balanced. I’m having it without any additions, but would love to try a cup with some cream. Adding cream… it seems to dampen the flavors a little. The malt is dampened, but it does have a sweeter creamier taste overall. I think I prefer it straight. I had my first cup yesterday in class and the caffeine level seemed to go a good job of getting me through the day. Overall I really like this tea!

Sipdown! I’ve had a reasonably bad cold since Thursday evening, so I’ve mostly been drinking comforting teas that I’m familiar with. There’s no point trying something new when I can’t taste it, after all. I’ve enjoyed this one, both with and without milk. It’s super smooth, with prominent chai spices and delicious creamy vanilla caramel. I’ll miss this one.

1 tsp, 2.5 minutes, boiling water. No additions.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I believe this sample was old or suffered from Ziploc flavour loss. I received it in a swap and, do to my backlog, waited far too long to sample it. It wasn’t the delight that every other Whispering Pines tea I’ve had is. It’s flavour was so light that I refuse to give it a rating at this time. I will eventually try a fresh sample and use that to determine a rating.

Yum! Another hit for the day. In ordering this chai, I was hoping for a chai that didn’t need milk and sugar, since those are off limits for the time being. This fit the bill perfectly. Even though I am not crazy about the base by itself, in this tea it is perfect. The combination of spices and base are magic. I love it. The balance between base and spice is exactly how I like it. Strong spice.

OK, I deleted my last review on this tea because of my own tasting mistake. This tasting came out perfect for me. This isn’t a chai that slaps you in the face with spices. The spices are there but they are more subtle than most chai’s I have had. The first thing that hits you is the floral aroma of this tea. Fruity, almost. I get hints of malt, bread, cocoa, and even some vanilla coming through, but again, it is subtle. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel gives way to a finish of evergreen…almost a minty flavor. Very light in color and mouthfeel. Almost an orange yellow. This isnt your grandfathers chai, thats for sure!

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Melon, Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

No idea who sent this to me… but my brother and I really enjoyed it last night. Very smooth with a spice taste that didn’t take away from the golden brew.

Oversteeped it just a touch, but I think this is a lovely tea nonetheless. Rich, a tiny bit sweet, some smoke that isn’t lapsang souchong -y, more like smoked salmon or something along those lines. Smoked chestnuts? There’s a lot of complex layers to this one, and I’m loving all of them in different ways.

Overboard TTB #15

I was so excited when I saw the sample of this in the TTB! I haven’t tried a lot from Whispering Pines yet, but I love Golden Snail and a chai with that base definitely sounded like a winner to me. And it is! Smooth and malty with the perfect balance of spicy and sweet and just a hint of vanilla in the aftertaste. I enjoyed it both plain and with milk this morning and will be savoring the remainder of the sample (and probably re-ordering at some point once it’s gone.)

Flavors: Malt, Smooth, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla

This was a surprise sample in my swap with Tealizzy! She kindly included two extra teas that were on my wishlist. It’s been a while since I last had the Golden Snail base, but I do remember liking it (and really, it’s a Yunnan, what’s not to like?), so I’m happy to try this one even though I’m not a big chai fan. There are a lot of crushed spices mixed in with the base tea, though I don’t actually see any pieces of vanilla bean. Dry scent is very strong on the cardamon and ginger, which is not a good sign for me.

Happily, the steeped tea smells much milder and sweeter, and I can smell the vanilla and cinnamon now. Oof, the cardamon is strong with this one! A little too strong for me, as I don’t add sugar or milk to my teas. The clove is fairly strong here too, though I don’t mind that as much. I can taste perhaps a tiny bit of vanilla? And it’s a shame, the strong spicing is drowning out the base tea for me, which I know to be quite tasty. Oh well.

Flavors: Cardamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy, Vanilla

Tealizzy

I had the same problem with the base and I like my chai with milk and sugar, so I thought the milk was drowning it out, but maybe not, based on your review. Interesting!

Cameron B.

Yeah, I’m not a chai person in general but I find the WP ones to be very strongly spiced. Which is probably a good thing for most people, but not for me. Teehee. :P

TheLastDodo

too bad you didn’t like it! i love strong and spicy chai. Cardamom is also a good sign for me too :P

boychik

i didnt like it with milk but a little maple syrup (yes dear) does the trick!

I think I messed up my parameters on this one. I was really excited to try it as I love a good chai. The dry leaf smelled like vanilla chai. Yum! I steeped it for 3 minutes and added a little sugar and a splash of almond milk. Unfortunately, I think the milk muted the base tea. So, I did a second steep without milk and found it tasted more balanced, but I still think I under leafed it. Hmmm. Soooo, next time, I’m going to add more leaf and skip the milk. The spices are delicious, though. Very spicy and nicely balanced. I just want that base tea to come through more. I also got a buttery taste which was interesting. I’ll reserve final judgement until next time!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I definitely recommend this one without milk or sugar :-) give it a try straight with the directions on the bag. There is much balance in this blend ;-)

boychik

i tried it both ways and i really like it without milk but tiny touch of maple syrup, just a drop

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohh that sounds good boychik!

Cameron B.

Ohhhh boychik, queen of the maple syrup. :D

boychik

Cameron, i also like condensed milk ;D what i like abt maple it doesnt change completely, doesnt make sickly sweet. but you know me, i can drink without anything pu, Lapsang Sauchong, spicy teas.

Tealizzy

@boychik – I’ll have to try that! It’s weird for me to not put milk in chai, but I think i could get used to it.

boychik

Tealizzy, do you normally put milk in Chinese black tea? I don’t . I tried first this tea with milk and sugar like any other chai. Milk muted the base.

Tealizzy

boychik- I have to admit that I do add milk unless I’m steeping it gongfu-style. I usually only add a little splash. ☺️