Black Chai Blend
Cocoa, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Melon, Vanilla, Malt, Smooth, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Cardamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy, Butter, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cedar, Creamy, Pine, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Legend of El Dorado tells of a majestic place deep in the wilderness of South America. With streets paved of gold and sacred temples of silver, this mythical place was filled with riches…

Luckily for you, you don’t have to search the jungles of South America in search of untold riches, for you can find them in your cup with El Dorado Chai! With a base of our Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black, hand-cut Madagascar vanilla, holy basil and the four classic masala chai spices, you’re sure to strike gold with your first sip!

This lightly-spiced masala chai is smoother than a street of gold and sweeter than untouched jungle spring water. El Dorado Chai opens with pure wildflower honey and creamy vanilla, giving way to a hint of pine. The body is rich like a fresh croissant filled with the finest dark chocolate. A warm, tingling spice lingers near the end of the sip, reminiscent of the sweet spices on an apple pie crust. The finish is mouthwatering, with a full honey sweetness and a touch of malt.

Enjoy the immeasurable riches of this golden chai fit for the Gods!

""Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied—
“If you seek for Eldorado!”

-Edgar Allen Poe

Notes: Honey, Chocolate-Filled Croissant, Cream, Pine, Vanilla, Malt, Apple Pie Crust

Ingredients: Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black Tea, Organic Ginger, Organic Cardamom, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Cloves, Hand-Cut Madagascar Vanilla Beans

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

OK, I deleted my last review on this tea because of my own tasting mistake. This tasting came out perfect for me. This isn’t a chai that slaps you in the face with spices. The spices are there but they are more subtle than most chai’s I have had. The first thing that hits you is the floral aroma of this tea. Fruity, almost. I get hints of malt, bread, cocoa, and even some vanilla coming through, but again, it is subtle. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel gives way to a finish of evergreen…almost a minty flavor. Very light in color and mouthfeel. Almost an orange yellow. This isnt your grandfathers chai, thats for sure!

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Melon, Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

No idea who sent this to me… but my brother and I really enjoyed it last night. Very smooth with a spice taste that didn’t take away from the golden brew.

Oversteeped it just a touch, but I think this is a lovely tea nonetheless. Rich, a tiny bit sweet, some smoke that isn’t lapsang souchong -y, more like smoked salmon or something along those lines. Smoked chestnuts? There’s a lot of complex layers to this one, and I’m loving all of them in different ways.

Overboard TTB #15

I was so excited when I saw the sample of this in the TTB! I haven’t tried a lot from Whispering Pines yet, but I love Golden Snail and a chai with that base definitely sounded like a winner to me. And it is! Smooth and malty with the perfect balance of spicy and sweet and just a hint of vanilla in the aftertaste. I enjoyed it both plain and with milk this morning and will be savoring the remainder of the sample (and probably re-ordering at some point once it’s gone.)

Flavors: Malt, Smooth, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla

This was a surprise sample in my swap with Tealizzy! She kindly included two extra teas that were on my wishlist. It’s been a while since I last had the Golden Snail base, but I do remember liking it (and really, it’s a Yunnan, what’s not to like?), so I’m happy to try this one even though I’m not a big chai fan. There are a lot of crushed spices mixed in with the base tea, though I don’t actually see any pieces of vanilla bean. Dry scent is very strong on the cardamon and ginger, which is not a good sign for me.

Happily, the steeped tea smells much milder and sweeter, and I can smell the vanilla and cinnamon now. Oof, the cardamon is strong with this one! A little too strong for me, as I don’t add sugar or milk to my teas. The clove is fairly strong here too, though I don’t mind that as much. I can taste perhaps a tiny bit of vanilla? And it’s a shame, the strong spicing is drowning out the base tea for me, which I know to be quite tasty. Oh well.

Flavors: Cardamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy, Vanilla

I had the same problem with the base and I like my chai with milk and sugar, so I thought the milk was drowning it out, but maybe not, based on your review. Interesting!

Cameron B.

Yeah, I’m not a chai person in general but I find the WP ones to be very strongly spiced. Which is probably a good thing for most people, but not for me. Teehee. :P

too bad you didn’t like it! i love strong and spicy chai. Cardamom is also a good sign for me too :P

i didnt like it with milk but a little maple syrup (yes dear) does the trick!

I think I messed up my parameters on this one. I was really excited to try it as I love a good chai. The dry leaf smelled like vanilla chai. Yum! I steeped it for 3 minutes and added a little sugar and a splash of almond milk. Unfortunately, I think the milk muted the base tea. So, I did a second steep without milk and found it tasted more balanced, but I still think I under leafed it. Hmmm. Soooo, next time, I’m going to add more leaf and skip the milk. The spices are delicious, though. Very spicy and nicely balanced. I just want that base tea to come through more. I also got a buttery taste which was interesting. I’ll reserve final judgement until next time!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I definitely recommend this one without milk or sugar :-) give it a try straight with the directions on the bag. There is much balance in this blend ;-)

i tried it both ways and i really like it without milk but tiny touch of maple syrup, just a drop

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohh that sounds good boychik!

Cameron B.

Ohhhh boychik, queen of the maple syrup. :D

Cameron, i also like condensed milk ;D what i like abt maple it doesnt change completely, doesnt make sickly sweet. but you know me, i can drink without anything pu, Lapsang Sauchong, spicy teas.

@boychik – I’ll have to try that! It’s weird for me to not put milk in chai, but I think i could get used to it.

Tealizzy, do you normally put milk in Chinese black tea? I don’t . I tried first this tea with milk and sugar like any other chai. Milk muted the base.

boychik- I have to admit that I do add milk unless I’m steeping it gongfu-style. I usually only add a little splash. ☺️

I snagged this one from the last round of the ’Here’s Hoping’ teabox. I had pumpkin pie for breakfast and I really think CHAI goes with pumpkin pie. This particular blend contains the golden snails that I tried before: a light sweet potato flavor. Not the deepest darkest chai, but sometimes it’s nice for a change. I love the mix of spices in this one and it’s the perfect balance. Sweet potato base with just the right spices. I like that this one has the vanilla beans (the occasional crunch in my teeth) and also the holy basil to give it a little bit of a vegetal flavor. The second steep was just as spicy. This one is very good… it would be my choice for a lighter base chai, but I think I’d usually go for a brisk chai.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // couple minutes after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5min

I’m cold. I’m not a huge fan of winter. I like Autumn. When I get cold, I want chai. I don’t want bad chai. MOST chai is bad chai. I usually make my own. Fortunately for me, now I don’t have to as the HaikuHobbit has me covered.

The base of this spectacular chai is my beloved Wee Snaily Yums. Anything that starts with Snaily is pretty much gonna have to be great. And it is. Perfectly spiced, smooth and creamy dreamy.

Review and the song on my blog at: https://atasteofmzpriss.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/el-dorado-chai-whispering-pines-tea-company/

its perfect! so is FoxFire Chai.

I haven’t had the FoxFire yet – but I adore this. Stay warm!

You too. FoxFire is smoky, i dont remember if you like smoke in teas.

I just ordered this and can’t wait to try it!

@julesbean – you will LOVE it
@boychik – I do NOT love the smoke. I’m ok with the smokey parts of sheng but not a fan of regular smokey tea.

Then foxFire is not for ya, but that OK. Plenty of others are awaiting :-)

@boychik – Do you like December from WP? And if so, do you want mine?

i’d love to try because i dont have it. So far everything i tried fr WP i really liked.

I love almost all WP except the smoke things. I will send it to you.

thank you. we need to swap ;)

we do indeed. I need put all the things I have into my cupboard

me too :)

Fragrant, very tasty and smooth. The spice blend is lovely with the tea base, but I would say that the most prominent spice note in scent and taste would be cloves, which is nice although a wee touch heavy. Delicious with milk, as is my preference.

i pick out a few of the cloves when i make this…works well to balance things out a little for me

I’m going to try that next time I make it. :)

My tasting notes are all out of order this morning and a little bit random. This is a tasty tea. I think my only complaint is that there’s just a bit too many cloves going on. I really like the vanilla, malt and smoothness happening going on. i’ll have to play with this one a bit more – maybe try it with milk and a bit of honey.

Or some maple syrup? ;)