Black Chai Blend
Honey, Malt, Spices, Vanilla, Butter, Cardamon, Ginger, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Cedar, Creamy, Pine, Smooth, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “I think I messed up my parameters on this one. I was really excited to try it as I love a good chai. The dry leaf smelled like vanilla chai. Yum! I steeped it for 3 minutes and added a little sugar...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 627 tasting notes
  • “I snagged this one from the last round of the 'Here's Hoping' teabox. I had pumpkin pie for breakfast and I really think CHAI goes with pumpkin pie. This particular blend contains the golden...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1523 tasting notes
  • “I'm cold. I'm not a huge fan of winter. I like Autumn. When I get cold, I want chai. I don't want bad chai. MOST chai is bad chai. I usually make my own. Fortunately for me, now I don't have...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 145 tasting notes
  • “Fragrant, very tasty and smooth. The spice blend is lovely with the tea base, but I would say that the most prominent spice note in scent and taste would be cloves, which is nice although a wee...” Read full tasting note
    caile 198 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Legend of El Dorado tells of a majestic place deep in the wilderness of South America. With streets paved of gold and sacred temples of silver, this mythical place was filled with riches…

Luckily for you, you don’t have to search the jungles of South America in search of untold riches, for you can find them in your cup with El Dorado Chai! With a base of our Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black, hand-cut Madagascar vanilla, holy basil and the four classic masala chai spices, you’re sure to strike gold with your first sip!

This lightly-spiced masala chai is smoother than a street of gold and sweeter than untouched jungle spring water. El Dorado Chai opens with pure wildflower honey and creamy vanilla, giving way to a hint of pine. The body is rich like a fresh croissant filled with the finest dark chocolate. A warm, tingling spice lingers near the end of the sip, reminiscent of the sweet spices on an apple pie crust. The finish is mouthwatering, with a full honey sweetness and a touch of malt.

Enjoy the immeasurable riches of this golden chai fit for the Gods!

""Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied—
“If you seek for Eldorado!”

-Edgar Allen Poe

Notes: Honey, Chocolate-Filled Croissant, Cream, Pine, Vanilla, Malt, Apple Pie Crust

Ingredients: Bi Luo Chun Yunnan Black Tea, Organic Ginger, Organic Cardamom, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Cloves, Hand-Cut Madagascar Vanilla Beans

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I think I messed up my parameters on this one. I was really excited to try it as I love a good chai. The dry leaf smelled like vanilla chai. Yum! I steeped it for 3 minutes and added a little sugar and a splash of almond milk. Unfortunately, I think the milk muted the base tea. So, I did a second steep without milk and found it tasted more balanced, but I still think I under leafed it. Hmmm. Soooo, next time, I’m going to add more leaf and skip the milk. The spices are delicious, though. Very spicy and nicely balanced. I just want that base tea to come through more. I also got a buttery taste which was interesting. I’ll reserve final judgement until next time!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I definitely recommend this one without milk or sugar :-) give it a try straight with the directions on the bag. There is much balance in this blend ;-)

boychik

i tried it both ways and i really like it without milk but tiny touch of maple syrup, just a drop

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohh that sounds good boychik!

Cameron B.

Ohhhh boychik, queen of the maple syrup. :D

boychik

Cameron, i also like condensed milk ;D what i like abt maple it doesnt change completely, doesnt make sickly sweet. but you know me, i can drink without anything pu, Lapsang Sauchong, spicy teas.

Tealizzy

@boychik – I’ll have to try that! It’s weird for me to not put milk in chai, but I think i could get used to it.

boychik

Tealizzy, do you normally put milk in Chinese black tea? I don’t . I tried first this tea with milk and sugar like any other chai. Milk muted the base.

Tealizzy

boychik- I have to admit that I do add milk unless I’m steeping it gongfu-style. I usually only add a little splash. ☺️

I snagged this one from the last round of the ’Here’s Hoping’ teabox. I had pumpkin pie for breakfast and I really think CHAI goes with pumpkin pie. This particular blend contains the golden snails that I tried before: a light sweet potato flavor. Not the deepest darkest chai, but sometimes it’s nice for a change. I love the mix of spices in this one and it’s the perfect balance. Sweet potato base with just the right spices. I like that this one has the vanilla beans (the occasional crunch in my teeth) and also the holy basil to give it a little bit of a vegetal flavor. The second steep was just as spicy. This one is very good… it would be my choice for a lighter base chai, but I think I’d usually go for a brisk chai.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // couple minutes after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5min

I’m cold. I’m not a huge fan of winter. I like Autumn. When I get cold, I want chai. I don’t want bad chai. MOST chai is bad chai. I usually make my own. Fortunately for me, now I don’t have to as the HaikuHobbit has me covered.

The base of this spectacular chai is my beloved Wee Snaily Yums. Anything that starts with Snaily is pretty much gonna have to be great. And it is. Perfectly spiced, smooth and creamy dreamy.

Review and the song on my blog at: https://atasteofmzpriss.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/el-dorado-chai-whispering-pines-tea-company/

boychik

its perfect! so is FoxFire Chai.

MzPriss

I haven’t had the FoxFire yet – but I adore this. Stay warm!

boychik

You too. FoxFire is smoky, i dont remember if you like smoke in teas.

julesbean

I just ordered this and can’t wait to try it!

@julesbean – you will LOVE it
@boychik – I do NOT love the smoke. I’m ok with the smokey parts of sheng but not a fan of regular smokey tea.

boychik

Then foxFire is not for ya, but that OK. Plenty of others are awaiting :-)

MzPriss

@boychik – Do you like December from WP? And if so, do you want mine?

boychik

i’d love to try because i dont have it. So far everything i tried fr WP i really liked.

MzPriss

I love almost all WP except the smoke things. I will send it to you.

boychik

thank you. we need to swap ;)

MzPriss

we do indeed. I need put all the things I have into my cupboard

me too :)

Fragrant, very tasty and smooth. The spice blend is lovely with the tea base, but I would say that the most prominent spice note in scent and taste would be cloves, which is nice although a wee touch heavy. Delicious with milk, as is my preference.

i pick out a few of the cloves when i make this…works well to balance things out a little for me

caile

I’m going to try that next time I make it. :)

My tasting notes are all out of order this morning and a little bit random. This is a tasty tea. I think my only complaint is that there’s just a bit too many cloves going on. I really like the vanilla, malt and smoothness happening going on. i’ll have to play with this one a bit more – maybe try it with milk and a bit of honey.

Or some maple syrup? ;)

mmmmmmm

Ahhh, I have had this tea before but I haven’t written a review yet, time to fix that! I was craving this at work yesterday but instead had my standard Cold 911 for my lungs/allergies lol, so on this dreary, gray Saturday morning, I am cozying up with my cup of this chai.

The dry smell is very spicy, lots of pepper, some cardamom, ginger, a very lovely spiced chai smell. It opens the sinuses and invigorates. I followed WP’s steeping directions, at around 205 degrees for 3 minutes. The resulting liquor is a reddish brown in color, and the vanilla that Brenden does so well is present in the aroma, along with the mingling of spices, smoothed by the vanilla and the base. I have never had the Golden Snails Yunnan by itself (or fondly known as Snaily Yums on here I think lol), but I should try it out, as I love Yunnan black teas.

As for the flavor…mmm, this is quite a good chai. The flavors meld seamlessly – The spices at the forefront, the honeyed/malty base in the middle blending into a rich vanilla aftertaste, with the spices still kicking around. I can’t really pick out specific spices, which I find to be the mark of a great chai, not one overpowers the other. They instead blend into a spicy and warming concoction. The vanilla really adds the final touch, with it’s sweetness, it just smooths out the sip and leaves you wanting to have another drink, and another…yeah, it’s pretty good. The flavor profile, if my memory serves me correctly, reminds me of Verdant’s Laoshan Village Chai, but instead of a chocolatey base, this one has a more honeyed flavor from the Snails, and the vanilla is richer and more prominent here I think.

Overall, this is a delicious cup of yuminess, and I like that it is different from the other chais I have in my cupboard (enter Yu Lu Yan Chai haha). It is a more mellow chai, for cozy fall days, and I might keep it in my cupboard to contrast with the bold Yu Lu Yan Chai, which still might hold my heart for favorite chai, but we will see, this one is not too far behind! Another wonderful tea blend from Whispering Pines! Lol, under the flavors tab, I wish there was one for ‘awesome’, as that’s the best way I can describe this tea lol.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Spices, Vanilla

Fjellrev

Nice review! What do you think you get allergies from? Oddly enough, I almost never had that problem when I lived there (save for poplar when it would be really heavy), but I started to develop allergies to who knows what once I moved to Vancouver Island.

MissLena

Thank you :) This year is particularly bad for me, I think it’s due to pollen from the flowers in my yard and dust/mold/dampness at work mostly. We had a weirdly humid and hot summer with tons of forest fire smoke, so I think that set off my asthma and its been downhill from there lol. You definitely could be noticing allergies from more humidity on the coast, as well as a longer growing season as its milder there and also different plants with pollen, etc. I know my family has always had asthma problems and a great grandfather of mine actually had to move from England as the damp cool weather was too hard on his lungs. I’m definitely not an expert on allergies lol, but you can always try to get an allergy test to help figure out triggers, or ask your doctor what they think. Hopefully they go away soon!

Fjellrev

Yikes, I was unaware that there were a lot of forest fires this summer. And that sucks that you have asthma! I hope you are able to keep it under control. I’ve been experiencing allergies on and off since I moved here. First I thought it was from living in basements (combine that with the humidity here and you’re looking at Mold City), but who knows!

MissLena

Haha yeah this summer the smoke from fires in BC and NWT drifted down to us, bad wind currents I guess :( ah well you do what you have to do. Allergy pills help quite a bit! Mold could definitely be the culprit, we just got a dehumidifier for the basemen and it works wonders, gets so much water out of the air!

Fjellrev

What kind of antihistamines work best for you? I sometimes use Benadryl, but the drowsiness can really slow down my productivity so I abstain from taking them as much as possible.

MissLena

I used to use Reactine, but the 24 hr one was so strong, it would completely block up any release of mucus, so one night I was coughing and it was really hurting my chest as nothing could come out, and it also gave me a super dry throat. Now I have been using Aerius Allergy + Sinus, the sinus part doesn’t dry your entire sinuses out too bad and it seems to work about the same! I have never tried Benadryl, it seems like it would be too strong and I definitely couldn’t handle being that drowsy, I have too long of a commute to and from work to be sleepy!

Fjellrev

Ah ok, I’ve tried Reactine, just a sample, and it didn’t seem to do much, and never tried Aerius. I guess it depends on the person and your needs. I’m glad you found one that works for you. Maybe I’ll try Aerius sometime to see if it won’t make me as drowsy.

MissLena

I find I don’t get drowsy at all from Aerius but that could just be me. Reactine, the regular strength made me super sleepy, extra strength not at all lol so it’s strange for me! Hopefully you find one that works for you! Claritin might also help, although I haven’t personally tried that one.

I’m not a really big fan of chai tea but that’s not to say I don’t like them. This one seemed intriguing, Bi-Luo Chun Black with vanilla beans and chai spices? I love green bi-luo chun and love vanilla and was curious to try this out. As everyone has said the spices in this tea are done perfectly. A wonderful chai spice mixed with the creaminess an sweetness of the tea. Then there’s the vanilla adding a sweetness too. Yummy! However, this has now got me curious. I wonder how plain bi-luo chun black tastes?

Flavors: Butter, Cardamon, Ginger, Vanilla

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

The answer is: amazing! ;)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

^agreed. The base of this (Golden Snail) is one of my favorite blacks ever. :-)

Cheri

I’m not big on chai, but I quite liked golden snaily yums. Maybe I’ll see if I can try this one.

Cameron B.

I’ve tried two or three different black biluochuns and liked them all. :D

Ubacat

I’ll have to put that on my wish list to try!

Oh My, So smooth and creamy almost buttery even,mmmmm.
Very nice and bold with malty, cocoa notes and honey notes with smooth floral vanilla and just the right amount of spice.
The spice level on this one is just perfect.

I can’t believe how smooth and creamy this one is, it needs no milk or sweetener at all because it is perfect on its own.
I did decide to add a little maple syrup to it just because and it was omg so delicious BUT a bit much for me at first because I used a bit too much the first time. After using less maple the second time around it was perfection.

The maple made it very sweet and even more creamy somehow, the maple sweetness brought about a chocolatey note that is different than the dark chocolatey notes of some of brendens teas and it totally enhanced the Vanilla and made it stand out much more.
The chocolatey notes of this one with sweetener is like a milk chocolate donut or something, omg so good.
Milk chocolate donut with chai spice on top, mmmmmmm so good.

The perfect balance of the ginger and other spices toned down by the vanilla make this a perfect chai on its own and allow it to be subtly sweetened without being too bold like some chais, Some sweet chais give my a slight belly ache from the sweet spicy combo, Not this one!

Totally Awesome on it’s own but if ya sweeten it do try some Maple Syrup, oh my so good.

Thanks BOYCHIK for mentioning Maple Syrup in your review! Great Idea!!!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Spices, Vanilla

mj

This is my favorite chai, always and forever

boychik

You are welcome;) Actually its Terri and Sil style.

This has become a great favorite of mine for mornings. It’s bold enough to stand up to breakfast, but still has a complex and defined flavor profile. Plus, did I mention this chai requires no milk or sweetener? I actually prefer it au naturel. That’s how good it is! Of course, starting with a Golden Snail base, how could it not be? The leaves are the aforementioned adorable snailies plus some spicy chunks :). It just smells warm to me, with ginger definitely coming through as it brews up a golden brown liquor. In the initial sips, ginger is definitely the star. It’s bold without being offensive in any way. Underneath that, buttery baked bread and cardamom really come through in a taste that is extremely close to cardamom rolls (those are a Norwegian thing: kind of like cinnamon rolls but breadier and with cardamom – duh – and savory instead of sweet). As it cools, more the chocolate and honey notes come out to play and the tea becomes much sweeter and more buttery. Yum! If you have the self control to let it cool for a while before drinking (I usually don’t), you will be rewarded with the full flavor profile this delicious tea has to offer.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Cardamon, Chocolate, Ginger, Honey

LOVE this Snaily Chai

mj

Me too!!

TheTeaFairy

Love this one! So effective and so good!

(Hey missy, so glad to see you, missed ya! )

MzPriss

I’m home and happy to be here (missed you too!)

So…our little Snaily has a new playground: spice!

Chai lovers of this world, this is something to try.

I like that this is pretty traditional and not too over the top. Chai blends are often too busy or not enough. This one is an excellent example a true balance.

But there are many other decent chai blends out there…

What makes this one special?

Vanilla beans and Golden Snail.

The naturally creamy base tea paired with the vanilla bean soften greatly all those spices. They are usually bitter when you don’t add milk or sugar. But here, you end up with a dessert-like cup of spicy honeyed goodness, without having to add anything.

And the beauty of this blend is that I can taste all the spices…ginger, cinnamon, clove and cardamom. Add to that the buttery taste of the base tea, and you have something reminiscent of grandma’s apple pie.

Today, we had thundershowers all day. Grey sky, cool temperature. Thought it was the perfect day to try this for the first time.

But the next time I have it will be on a hot day, cold brewed in almond milk with a little maple syrup…mmmm.

Sami Kelsh

Oh, this sounds NICE.

Sarsonator

This sounds super good. I love almond milk chai. But I never tried it with maple syrup, so of course, I’ll be doing that next. :)

MzPriss

This is exactly the way I feel about it. The spices are really balanced – you can taste them all, not just the cinnamon and I love what the vanilla does.

Sarsonator

That’s actually great news for me, HoneyBelle. I generally find that cinnamon overpowers everything, but I am a total sucker for cardamom and I like to be able to taste it!

Cameron B.

But the important question… Is it ginger bonanza?!

MzPriss

Not too much ginger for sure – you don’t get a lot of cardamom either – I am a cardamom freak and I would add a LOT just for me – but there is balance here and it’s good. I like it Terri-style with a little maple

Dexter

(MzPriss – have you tried Cardamon Black from NMTC… I think I’m the only one that LOVES it, but it’s JUST cardamon…)

TheTeaFairy

I agree…the only thing bonanza about this cup is how creamy it is. The spices are there, but they don’t fight with one another.

Sarsonator

Cardamom black???? OMG. Need. That.

boychik

Cameron, Ginger is strong here. I added some milk which I normally don’t do. I like it a lot with maple, without milk. It is strong

TheTeaFairy

Lol, see I don’t get ginger, but not stronger than any other flavours…but I do love ginger, so I guess what is little for me might be a lot for someone sensitive to it.

Terri HarpLady

love me some ginger!

TheTeaFairy

I meant “I do get ginger” in comment above.

Yes terri, me too! And there is definitely some in here. But it’s not overpowering the rest for me.

Nicole

this sounds really excellent

MzPriss

Dexter – I have not tried that but I would LOVE it – I LOVE cardamom!

I don;t find the ginger stronger than anything else – in fact when I make my on chai – I pump up the cardamom and the ginger because those are my two favorite chai spices

Kirkoneill1988

i don’t really like chai tea :(