Chinese Black Tea
Chocolate, Malt, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Honey, Wood, Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Raisins, Cocoa, Plums, Sweet, Yams, Mint, Toast, Caramel, Cream, Salt, Custard, Earth, Eucalyptus, Stonefruits, Cherry, Thick
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

If I were the Mad Hatter, what tea would I serve to the Jabberwocky? Perhaps the uffish beast would enjoy something chocolaty? Maybe a finish of eucalyptus would soothe his frumious mind! Mind you, with teeth like snicker-snack’s there would be no turning back so it must be pleasing to the eyes! Purple, green, brown between, so pretty his eyes will gyre! So through the tulgey forest I shall brew and pour us a beautiful cup of the most beautimus tea that he will ever see. I must say – the slithy toves will run away, the jubjub bird will feel okay, and at brillig under the tumtum tree, the Jabber and me will sip some tea! He will chortle and the manxome beast will burble out that he is pleased and the days of worrying that he will eat you will be far away – oh frabjous day!

No more mimsy cups of tea! The Jabberwocky is strong and smooth with a full mouth of wildflower nectar and honey drizzled on a fresh french baguette with a light hint of salt. The middle of the sip hints at creamy chocolate and plum dipped in luscious silky caramel. The finish is strong of camphor and eucalyptus and leaves your mouth feeling fresh and wanting more! The beautiful wet leaves are light brown, mottled with green and purple, and emit the aroma of honey, camphor, and a cool mineral freshness reminiscent of standing at the edge of a raging river. Enjoy the strong qi of this smooth and silky brew anytime of the day, and don’t worry about over-brewing…we knew that the Jabberwocky didn’t like bitterness or astringency, so you won’t find either in this cup!

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Wild Arbor Yunnan Black Tea

Notes: Honey, Nectar, Salted Caramel, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Cocoa, Stonefruit, French Bread

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I received a sample of this tea from The Cookie Lady. I haven’t yet tried anything from Whispering Pines Tea Company, but I’ve been wanting to, so I was excited about trying this tea as well as the Mountain Nectar tea that I received. I like the flavor of this tea, though I doubt I could easily describe it. It’s complex, and both fruity and toasty. I wouldn’t say it’s very bitter. I’ve tried a few teas described as tasting like plum, so based on similarity, I could say that it does taste like plum – or at least it has a comparable taste to other teas that are described as tasting like plum… All I know is that I like it, and find it more agreeable than some of my other black teas. I’m steeping the tea a second time, but I knew I liked the tea the first time I drank it. I need to buy Whispering Pines teas, so I think I’ll put this on my shopping list.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I’m beginning to think there’s something wrong with the water in my house, or with the kettle I’m using. I keep on getting this sort of savoury, alkaline taste with my black teas that I’m not too fond of – think of the flavour of the outside of a pretzel.

It showed up when I drank this tea, which was not what I was expecting. The tea smelled lovely upon first steep – I could definitely get the chocolate and menthol notes that people had mentioned. But the flavour was relatively underwhelming. Sad. :(

This was a swap I got from Ost – I’ll be sending the rest along to VariaTEA soon.

Kittenna

Entirely possible that it’s the water or kettle. I use Brita filtered water, and notice a difference when I use unfiltered.

darby

Did it start recently? I’d think the kettle if so, but you never know if your regions water changed.

Ost

Oh that’s so weird….I’m sorry it wasn’t good! :(

Oh wow. This tea just stopped me in my tracks, after just one sip, and made me sit, for the few minutes that it took me to finish the cup (yes, piping hot and I just couldn’t stop drinking it) and just give in to the joy that came with every sip. That has only happened to me with two other teas. Verdant’s Laoshan black, and Teaspring Tan Yang. And now Jabberworcky. Also, I normally drink unflavored black tea with a touch of milk. Not so this tea. It just feels like that would be doing this tea a disservice, as it deserves being center stage with my full attention.

This is from my first Whispering Pines order and I must say so far I’m really impressed.

Sipdown (103)!

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

First the tea stuff, and then the personal rant type stuff.

The Jabberwocky is one of my favourite poems of all time; the other two it’s tied with being Chaos by G. Nolste Trinite and Invitation by Shel Silverstein. I’ve very heavily considered getting a string of words tattoed somewhere, like on a shoulder but I can never pick just one section so it’s likely not going to happen (since I don’t want the whole poem tattoed on myself). So, obviously, I was dying to try this tea. So thanks Marzipan for making that attainable.

Dry I honestly couldn’t smell much, but steeped up (in a timolino) this is so fantastical and complex and that’s why it’s perfect as a Jabberwock tea. Just like you can take many of the words in the poem to mean whatever you’d like, I can see how there are so many layers of flavours in just this one infusion that it can be interpreted so many ways. It’d take a multitude of cups to really come close to doing this one justice describing it, but I’ll definitely give it a stab – with the Vorpal blade-.

Overall, there was a sweetness to this tea, and it was very smooth. While there was easily a dozen flavours going on in here, the ones that stood out to me the most in ranging intensities were honey, wood, molasses, earth, and stonefruits like plums. There was also this kind of “rust” like flavour, but sweet rust – if rust is a thing that can be sweet. I wont bother to rate this yet because I’m sure I’m not even close to understanding it yet, but it’s definitely going back on my wishlist and something I’ll be looking to get more of.

And now the personal rant sort of stuff…

So yesterday I started work at 7AM; personally, that’s REALLY early for me but I set my ability like that and I was prepared to do my shift without complaint. As it happens, it was an eight and a half hour shift. So, a long one. And because buses don’t get to that area of the city as early as seven on Sundays, I walked. It’s a 40 minute walk, in the freezing cold. And that is to say that come 3:30 when I was supposed to be off, I was fucking tired.

There were eight of us who had started at 7AM and were supposed to be done at 3:30 – one for every till. I was on till #1 yesterday, one of the busiest tills (because it’s on an end), and the farthest one from Guest Services where people sign in and out. Come 3:30 I was just drained, and ready for the evening cashier to come and release me. But only five cashiers were scheduled for the evening, and they took off tills 4 to 8, leaving the people on tills 1 to 3 stranded with no relief. This is opening weekend; it was fucking busy, and like I said I was on one of the busiest tills so I had a huge line up. The evening supervisors had just forgotten we were there, and I definitely couldn’t have walked away and gone home without stranding all the people in my line, which is just a dick move.

At 3:45 I called a Supervisor to ask why we hadn’t been taken off. She said she’s go ask. At 4:00 a different supervisor came back and explained to us that no one was scheduled to take over, and asked if I was ok staying until 4:30, because she asked nicely I agreed to stay until 4:30. At 4:45 I called down a supervisor and asked, again, to go home. She said that “sure, you can go home but no one will be taking over your line so all these people will have to wait again”. She said it in front of the people. Holy Hell guilt tactics! So, I stayed – reluctantly and pissed off. At 5:00 she came back and told me to go home. I asked it someone was taking over my till. No. So, I left because I was ordered to, but everyone who was in my line had to go wait in another line including the people who already had their stuff on the belt.

I worked a ten hour shift yesterday, and I was so mad about it. Honestly, if they had been straight forward and asked me to stay late I likely would have said yes because of the overtime, but it’s the fact they just forgot I was there, and then assumed I’d be cool with staying late that pissed me off the most. And, it happened to three of us. Because they let me go at five I couldn’t catch a bus until 6:30 (Sunday bus hours), and I didn’t get home until 8PM, when I should have been home at 5PM. I was supposed to have the evening the rest/relax because I have to work both jobs all week…

Ugh.

Cheri

I’d have been fuming. You are too nice of a person.

OMGsrsly

That is really terrible on their part. I do applaud your niceness in staying, but yeesh. :/

Lynxiebrat

Ugh…and people want to know why I never EVER want to work retail again.

This is a great tea for this afternoon. It has just started snowing and it’s freezing outside! I pick up on some soft cocoa notes, something earthy like soil and a savory hint of buttered or salted fruit. The end of the sip brings out a bitter raisin flavor, too. There is a lot going on in this cup and it seems to have a little bit of everything. While it’s enjoyable, it isn’t my favorite from Whispering Pines. I’m so happy to have tried it, though. Thank you, Ost, for the sample!

hippiechick 42

Sent u a PM yesterday. :)

Yum, delicious! This black tea is quite complex with yam, cherry wood, malt, cocoa, burnt caramel and plum notes, with a finish of bread crust and more caramel. The Jabberywocky is really smooth with a thick custard like body.

The resteep is really good too – very sweet with all notes, missing the woodsy ones. Admittedly, while drinking this I wished I was drinking Whispering Pines’s Ailaoshan instead. Jabberywocky is good, but I prefer the richer flavor of Ailaoshan straight up, rather being mixed in with 2 other blacks in Jabberywocky.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/jabberwocky-tea/

Sara

That sounds yummy! My mouth is watering now – and I’ve already eaten dinner! :) And I’ve read only high praise for Whispering Pines Tea Co., so I’m convinced I need to check out some of their teas at some point.

I’m so behind on logging tasting, I have no idea where to even begin now. Or if I should even bother at this point. I’m rather embaressed to note that my last note was nearly a month ago. But with Steepster acting up around that time and me getting distracted from even starting up my computer, notes have been a dreaded thing to attempt. Especially on my tablet which is old and finicky and has a tendency to eat large amounts of text without warning if I’m not paying attention. Or registering the wrong tap so I misspell things, so excuse the text if that happens.

So I figured I’d start my notes again with the tea I’m having tonight. I have to start somewhere afterall. I honestly have older teas that I really should be trying/drinking first, but I rationalize digging into my whispering pines order now since these aren’t sealed and those other, older teas still are. Lol.

So smelling all of the teas I got, this one caught my interest the most. Chocolatey was the name of the game (since I didn’t feel like leather, mushrooms, grass or smoke tonight. Lol!).
Brewed it up and I can smell cocoa with malt and something almost sweet. The brew itself isn’t sweet to me, but I definitely get a cocoa note, along with a woodsyness and something malty. I really kinda like this since it’s pretty stable by itself. Adding some Truvia gives me the sweetness that I find myself expecting/craving when I smell the brew.
I’m pretty sure that I’d consider reordering this when I run out and my cupboard pares down to something that I can manage to drink through in a reasonable time frame.

Edit – I made a second steep of this @ 5 min/206* that was (in my opinion) lightly better thn the first. Lol. The first steep had something almost peppery at the back of the sip that was gone in this second steeping. But it was marvelously cocoa-y and delicious. It was a bit watery though so I might try 6 min next time to see what happens.
Didn’t have time to try a third steep since it was so late, but I’m not sure if the leaves could hold up to one.

2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I received this one as a free sample with my WP order. It was one that i had considered ordering, so i was happy to see it. Brewed, this is a smooth tea, with hints of cocoa, malt with an almost fruitiness to it. It’s not my favourite of the WP teas, but i can understand why so many folks love this one. I throroughly enjoyed this cup, but i’m going to pass the other half of my wee sample over to a friend to try as i think this one might be something they’ll enjoy too!

VariaTEA

This is one I was looking at ordering so I am glad to see you enjoyed it.

did you want me to kick the sample over to you? ie the other half?

Stephanie

I felt the same way…not bad or anything but not as crazy good as some of the other WP teas.

VariaTEA

Thank you but that’s okay. You should send it to your original intendant and I will pick some up when I finally place an order.

“original intendant” = you; cavo; RS; T…etc lol

VariaTEA

Haha well then. I think I will pick it up in an order anyways so I am sure one of the others would be happy to receive it. Thanks again though :)

Lariel of Lórien

I’m still waiting for a tea called Vorpal Sword.

Not until after Alice, The Mad Matter, and The Cheshire Cat Blend

Roswell Strange

This one and Rivendell are both on my list to try <3 Perhaps a Whispering Pines order will be my next one since my cupboard is still quite tame ;)

Terri HarpLady

Snicker-snack!

Kittenna

Roswell – a WP order is on my radar too, once things are back in stock. Sigh :P

Thanks for the sample Ost!

This is a rich, complex black blend. I like it but I feel like it needs something. Like it is missing a top note or needs more natural sweetness? Anyway, this is good but I strongly prefer Golden Orchid and Cocoa Amore :D

Cameron B.

I know what you mean about missing top notes. Some teas are all bass notes and while those are tasty, they feel thin or incomplete without the middle and top notes.

Tealizzy

You guys are making me think about that song “it’s all about the bass, ’bout the bass, no treble!” Lol!

Stephanie

I like this horse dancing to that song Tealizzy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qon7K1LfxCY

carol who

That video is great!

Tealizzy

Haha! Awesome!

Lewis & Clark #2

I need to start this review by stating that I didn’t follow the vendor’s steeping instructions. They call for a tablespoon of tea per cup and pre-packaged the sample into 4.5 gram packets. I decided to follow my usual steeping approach for black tea, which is 1.5 grams for a 6 ounce pot. It seems unfair to compare a pot that is three times as strong as the competition, especially when one of the selling points of the tea is its strength.

The nose was rich and powerful. Earthy notes dominated. The taste was dominated by what I call “forest floor”: a sort of damp woodsy taste, which I’m not overly fond of. I occasionally spotted a hint of fruit or chocolate, but for the most part don’t see all the flavors in the website description. The finish is good, but somewhat short.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
boychik

i had it yesterday. my parameters for black tea are 3g 8oz western.

Cameron B.

I made a cup with one of the portioned servings and thought it was too strong.

Cheri

He’s changed his parameters on the website to .5T from 1T.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yeah, I changed them about a month ago. I’m glad people aren’t paying attention to the labeled parameters! I highly recommend to always check on my website for recommended steeping. I have detailed info for both Western and Gongfu on there :-) http://whisperingpinestea.com/the-jabberwocky.html#product_tabs_Brewing

Cheri

I only noticed you’d changed it because I was trying to remember what you recommended for the third steep western style, Brenden. I generally look at what’s on the package because that’s in my hand when I’m making it, and my computer isn’t.

Yeah, I wish I could somehow let everyone know when I change them :-(

Dr Jim

As I said in the review, I just think it’s fair to use the same baseline for all teas that I review. If I own a tea, then I can experiment, but for just one cup, I go with the baseline. I also like to use weight rather than volume, especially with teas that have large leaves.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I totally agree with that method. I do the same thing when sampling potential offerings :-)