Chinese Black Tea
Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Citrus, Malt, Molasses, Wood, Corn Husk, Salt, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Creamy, Baked Bread, Broth, Brown Toast, Cherry, Cream, Dates, Fruity, Honey, Muscatel, Musty, Red Fruits, Wet Wood, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Plums, Berry, Grain, Raisins, Cherry Wood, Oak wood, Floral, Burnt Sugar, Sweet, Yams, Mint, Toast, Custard, Earth, Thick
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

If I were the Mad Hatter, what tea would I serve to the Jabberwocky? Perhaps the uffish beast would enjoy something chocolaty? Maybe a finish of eucalyptus would soothe his frumious mind! Mind you, with teeth like snicker-snack’s there would be no turning back so it must be pleasing to the eyes! Purple, green, brown between, so pretty his eyes will gyre! So through the tulgey forest I shall brew and pour us a beautiful cup of the most beautimus tea that he will ever see. I must say – the slithy toves will run away, the jubjub bird will feel okay, and at brillig under the tumtum tree, the Jabber and me will sip some tea! He will chortle and the manxome beast will burble out that he is pleased and the days of worrying that he will eat you will be far away – oh frabjous day!

No more mimsy cups of tea! The Jabberwocky is strong and smooth with a full mouth of wildflower nectar and honey drizzled on a fresh french baguette with a light hint of salt. The middle of the sip hints at creamy chocolate and plum dipped in luscious silky caramel. The finish is strong of camphor and eucalyptus and leaves your mouth feeling fresh and wanting more! The beautiful wet leaves are light brown, mottled with green and purple, and emit the aroma of honey, camphor, and a cool mineral freshness reminiscent of standing at the edge of a raging river. Enjoy the strong qi of this smooth and silky brew anytime of the day, and don’t worry about over-brewing…we knew that the Jabberwocky didn’t like bitterness or astringency, so you won’t find either in this cup!

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Wild Arbor Yunnan Black Tea

Notes: Honey, Nectar, Salted Caramel, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Cocoa, Stonefruit, French Bread

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

A cup of malty good liquor. I’m drinking the second half of the sample in my Gaiwan, and I must say that it’s pretty good stuff. I noted a few days ago that it released a lot of caffeine through my veins and kept me energized for the 50 students at Summer Camp.

However, this tea is wonderful. I enjoy the nutty-malty-chocolaty undertones to the brew; which fortunately will allow me stay up later tonight on the account that it’s Friday, and that I don’t need to be anywhere tomorrow morning.

On a side note: I had recently experienced a mishap to my electric water kettle, and had to purchase a second one—although much more fancy than the last—which allows me to brew to the precise temperature needed for each tea. Plus, it was a fairly priced pot that I was discounted due to the frequent stops that I make at the local shop. The owner even gave a few samples to try that he thought I’d like; which was thoughtful.

My excellent friend mtchyg sent me a giant bag of samples, so strap in and feel the G’s, kids. We’re going on a ride.

I picked Jabberwocky first because I hear the world of Whispering Pines, plus I liked the name. It’s a mix of Harvest Fujian, Ailaoshan and Wild Arbor Yunnan black teas, according to Oolong Owl.

I know what it is made of, because I couldn’t believe how flavorful it was. I had to look it up. This is just straight tea — not tea pus a zillion other types of hazzurah thrown in, which is what I usually drink. It’s got great flavors. Citrus and woodsy and a little bit sweet.

There’s also a rich note, hiding near the bottom, of a sort of chocolate/pu-erh/earth note. I’m not quite sure it’s there. It’s like the Loch Ness monster, where I think I spot it, but then it slides underneath my radar.

I had no idea that “plain” tea could be so good.

Is this a whole new world? Am I going to have to sing about it on a flying carpet? I’m already chasing down Pokemon in the real world, so I might as well fully grasp the nostalgia while it’s hot.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Citrus, Malt, Molasses, Wood

Rosehips

Ooh! I got some of this, but have not tried it yet. I’m excited now.

Mookit

I’ve heard really good things about this Whispering Pines, and this tea in particular!
Also…. SUPER jealous that you guys have access to Pokemon Go before Canada does…

Super Starling!

@Rosehips — I’ll keep an eye out for your review!
@Mookit — Have you seen this yet?
You should enjoy your life while you still have one.

mtchyg

I’m glad that you liked it! Jabberwocky is just one of many fine selections from Whispering Pines. I’m glad that the flavors of non-flavored tea revealed themselves to you :) Let me know if you want or need any help in your discovery.

Super Starling!

Mitch: do you have stock in Whispering Pines? ;)

Mookit

cries Canadian tears
The FOMO is real.

mtchyg

You know, I don’t have stock in it. However, I have recently hung out with the owner and drank tea in a park with him. PLUS Whispering Pines was the first loose leaf tea I ordered and tried that woke my brain up with one sip. It was like my entire life was a lie until that. It sent me on my fabulous tea journey. So, it really does have a soft spot. I offered to be his hype man and work for tea. We’ll see if my application goes through.

This was good, but I’m finding it difficult to describe. There WERE lots of different flavor notes, but they were all quite subtle and melded together and I can’t really but my finger on what they were, except I could identify a sort of eucalyptus note. So I would say this is advanced level tea, whereas I am still at intermediate level (at best). Also was never convinced I was preparing it properly since I only have a small gravity steeper, none of the gongfu equipment that was recommended.

Nicole

I make mine in a gravity steeper most times. :) Personally, I don’t care for it gong fu style, but I can see that it might make it easier to identify the flavor notes if you were developing them over multiple quick steeps.

Tamarindel

Ahh, glad to hear I’m not the only one :)

Whispering Pines order has arrived! Huzzah! I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while so decided I’d give it a go first.

First sip is malty, chocolatey, and salty with a hint of some kind of stone fruit. After that it turned to sweet potatoes and sweet corn/corn husk. Surprisingly light a refreshing for a black tea, not to mention remarkably smooth. Would definitely consider picking up more of this (though shipping to Canada is sadly a deterrent).

Flavors: Chocolate, Corn Husk, Malt, Salt, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes

I used about 4.5 grams to 11 oz of water in a Smacha autobrewer (feeling lazy today). This brewed a beautiful deep orange color with a malty spiced aroma. It turns almost neon orange on the second steep, crazy color.

Taste was a good balance of black tea malty body with a pinch of cinnamon, cocoa nibs, and a light creamy character. Nicely balanced and aftertaste of something kind of like sweet potatoes, although a bit bitter and raw in later steeps, closer to raw potato. A nice, pleasing tea to get you started on a rainy day.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cocoa, Creamy, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

As I’m entering the world of loose leaf teas Whispering Pines has been a solid company and I like how there is much variety yet it’s small attention to detail. This tea got my attention by how bold it stated to be. Indeed the brew (in a giawan gongfu style) brewed up a nice amber elixir that was very fruity, jammy and a bit musk not very much cocoa noats as some of the other teas, but this is just me, and it’s a rich mouthfeel this one is a wake you up fruity yet earthy black. I liked it very much and the name is just too cute.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Broth, Brown Toast, Cherry, Citrus, Cream, Dates, Fruity, Honey, Molasses, Muscatel, Musty, Red Fruits

I shared this little sample with my girlfriend on a misty Ohio day—finals week is in full swing, and it really makes me appreciate the little down time I have.

I think I’m starting to move away from black teas—they tend to have a sort of bitterness that I don’t really like. It’s not like the sweet bitterness of a shou (or even sheng), but a more tangy, astringent bitterness. This isn’t a bad tea by any stretch, but I’m not nearly as into black tea as I used to be.

Anyway, as far as flavor, I tasted classic bready notes in the first infusions, with later infusions tasting more like bitter honey. I’m also getting some mineral notes. Body is not super thick, but it’s nice and mellow. My girlfriend kept getting notes of soy sauce, which was interesting, and it brought her back to her mom’s cooking. She started craving broccoli and tofu—crazy that tea can do something like that.

Anyway, this is a good tea, if not a blow-your-socks-off tea.

Gooseberry Spoon

I do hope you’re in one of the hilly areas. The mist can be so lovely there.

JWhisk

Actually northern Ohio, so it’s pretty flat here. But I’m on a beautiful campus, so there’s that!

Fruity, chocolaty. Coats whole mouth with a warm sweetness. Cup gone way too soon.

I’ve been waiting to try this for so long. Thank you Whiteantlers!

And I need to try it again. I did it western, and it was quite pleasant. Longhan fruit, salt, and malt were what I tasted. I need to do it again Gong Fu before I judge it.

Whiteantlers

I prefer this Western, but I think you have enough so you can experiment.

Daylon R Thomas

I have plenty :) I just made an unwise decision when I made it. I was in a rush to try some, so I put the leaves straight in a cup at the dinning hall. Needed good tea to get me up, but I also had to eat. I probably could have waited anyway.

Whiteantlers

You’ll have some Ancient Spirit coming to you in the next few weeks. Sorry not to include a note or card. I have a good heart but I am bad about mailing things out so I wind up procrastinating and then just shoving things into an envelope.

Daylon R Thomas

No worries. Perfectionism can be a wonderful (if only I could italicize the letters) thing, can’t it?

Whiteantlers

It’s the bane of my existence! Hope you are finally having Spring in Michigan.

30Mar- dry leaf malty, fruity, hay? wood? I’ve made this both westren and in a gaiwan. Both ways got flavor notes of chocolate, cherry, malt, and cream/thick body. Also some honey. Very complex tasting tea. No astringency, especially as at one point I forgot to time it. I was able to get 4 steeps westren style and I don’t know how many steeps gaiwaning. I lost count.
It was so good, it just kept giving flavor. I drank this until my kettle was empty.

Flavors: Cherry, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Wet Wood

R.F. Hill

A nice tea empties the kettle of water!

Whiteantlers

A zen koan, a haiku-or just a nice thought? :->