Chinese Black Tea
Cherry, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Wet Wood, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Stonefruits, Wood, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Plums, Berry, Muscatel, Sweet Potatoes, Grain, Raisins, Cocoa, Cherry Wood, Oak wood, Floral, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Sweet, Yams, Mint, Toast, Cream, Salt, Custard, Earth, Thick
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

If I were the Mad Hatter, what tea would I serve to the Jabberwocky? Perhaps the uffish beast would enjoy something chocolaty? Maybe a finish of eucalyptus would soothe his frumious mind! Mind you, with teeth like snicker-snack’s there would be no turning back so it must be pleasing to the eyes! Purple, green, brown between, so pretty his eyes will gyre! So through the tulgey forest I shall brew and pour us a beautiful cup of the most beautimus tea that he will ever see. I must say – the slithy toves will run away, the jubjub bird will feel okay, and at brillig under the tumtum tree, the Jabber and me will sip some tea! He will chortle and the manxome beast will burble out that he is pleased and the days of worrying that he will eat you will be far away – oh frabjous day!

No more mimsy cups of tea! The Jabberwocky is strong and smooth with a full mouth of wildflower nectar and honey drizzled on a fresh french baguette with a light hint of salt. The middle of the sip hints at creamy chocolate and plum dipped in luscious silky caramel. The finish is strong of camphor and eucalyptus and leaves your mouth feeling fresh and wanting more! The beautiful wet leaves are light brown, mottled with green and purple, and emit the aroma of honey, camphor, and a cool mineral freshness reminiscent of standing at the edge of a raging river. Enjoy the strong qi of this smooth and silky brew anytime of the day, and don’t worry about over-brewing…we knew that the Jabberwocky didn’t like bitterness or astringency, so you won’t find either in this cup!

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Wild Arbor Yunnan Black Tea

Notes: Honey, Nectar, Salted Caramel, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Cocoa, Stonefruit, French Bread

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I’ve been waiting to try this for so long. Thank you Whiteantlers!

And I need to try it again. I did it western, and it was quite pleasant. Longhan fruit, salt, and malt were what I tasted. I need to do it again Gong Fu before I judge it.

Whiteantlers

I prefer this Western, but I think you have enough so you can experiment.

Daylon R Thomas

I have plenty :) I just made an unwise decision when I made it. I was in a rush to try some, so I put the leaves straight in a cup at the dinning hall. Needed good tea to get me up, but I also had to eat. I probably could have waited anyway.

Whiteantlers

You’ll have some Ancient Spirit coming to you in the next few weeks. Sorry not to include a note or card. I have a good heart but I am bad about mailing things out so I wind up procrastinating and then just shoving things into an envelope.

Daylon R Thomas

No worries. Perfectionism can be a wonderful (if only I could italicize the letters) thing, can’t it?

Whiteantlers

It’s the bane of my existence! Hope you are finally having Spring in Michigan.

30Mar- dry leaf malty, fruity, hay? wood? I’ve made this both westren and in a gaiwan. Both ways got flavor notes of chocolate, cherry, malt, and cream/thick body. Also some honey. Very complex tasting tea. No astringency, especially as at one point I forgot to time it. I was able to get 4 steeps westren style and I don’t know how many steeps gaiwaning. I lost count.
It was so good, it just kept giving flavor. I drank this until my kettle was empty.

Flavors: Cherry, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Wet Wood

R.F. Hill

A nice tea empties the kettle of water!

Whiteantlers

A zen koan, a haiku-or just a nice thought? :->

More tea! There’s no stopping me today :) I made up a cup of this after dinner, and I loved it tremendously. I wasn’t sure at first exactly what I was tasting, but a few sips sorted me out on that front! This is a fairly complex tea, to my mind, at least in terms of the flavour combinations it presents. It starts off smooth and sweet, with notes of blossom honey and a slight saltiness. The mid-sip is all about the chocolate, dark high-cocoa chocolate with some fresh baked bread notes. After this comes a reasonably strong fruitiness – I thought black cherry at first, but it’s deeper than that, and more reminiscent of plum or maybe damson at times. It ends fairly sweetly with a hint of caramel and just the faintest touch of cooling eucalyptus. I found it a very refreshing cup, and incredibly moreish. A tea I could (and will!) drink at any time of day. I’d forgotten how much I liked Whispering Pines, but this has been a timely reminder.

1.5 tsp of leaf, 3.5 minutes, boiling water. Splash of milk.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp
Whiteantlers

Great review! I am liberating this one from the tea cabinet for tomorrow’s breakfast!

hawkband1

I just bought this! Can’t wait to try it.

Whiteantlers

Can’t wait to see you’re review @hawkband1.

So I picked up some teas from Whispering Pines for the first time. I got them today and I started with this one. I am a fan of Black Tea and use it to give me a break from my ripe pu’erhs. I brewed up about 5 grams gongfu style in a 100ml gaiwan. I feel it was a bit light so maybe a bit more leaf would be better. The wet leaf smells sweet and woody with a bit of some kind of fruit. I could tell this was a blend as it tasted like two other teas I have combined (a Jingmai Wild Arbor Black and nice malty Yunnan Black). This was quite enjoyable and had a lingering sweet aftertaste that was really nice. There were notes of baked bread and brown sugar along with a little wood. I also got into some floral notes in the middle steeps. It gave surprisingly well considering leaf size and it being a black. I think I will try this one again Western style as I often like my blacks brewed that way. Not sure what to think about this vendor yet and I have about 3 Oolongs I also bought from them to try. All in all I would say if you like black tea give this one a try. Pretty tasty.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Malt, Stonefruits, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Rasseru

Did you get any golden lily?

SilasSteep

I did actually. That and a couple of other Oolongs. Is it a good one?

its amazing!

Rasseru

its like the most tropical oolong ive tried yet. Mango, peach, lychee with ice cream or something. I rated it really highly

SilasSteep

Wow sounds interesting. I have my water boiling now to try it out. Any brewing suggestions. I am gonna gongfu 5g in 100ml gaiwan at about 190f

Rasseru

yeah sounds about right, not sure on weight, I just eyeballed it but 5g is plenty. I do quite fast steeps usually

SilasSteep

Yeah this one is pretty tasty. I am sipping it at the moment. I ended up adding a bit more leaf as it was a bit light for my tastes…so about 6-6.5 grams. The early steeps are super fruity almost tastes flavored or stored with fruit. Creamy as well. It tastes more like a green than an Oolong…very low on the oxidation. A tasty green Oolong. I really wonder how they get those flavors?!

Rasseru

I know, it always amazes me the breadth of flavour and aroma from tea

R.F. Hill

You should try Laoshan Autumn from Verdant Tea. It has that bread taste, with a dash of cacao instead of brown sugar.

SilasSteep

That sounds like a tasty one too R.F Hill. I have only had a couple of Verdant teas…a sheng sample and a really nice red robe oolong…but that was about a year or longer ago.

SilasSteep

Great info Rasseru. Thanks for the link…very cool.

im on the 3rd infusion atm.. all is going well. the liquor is a nice reddish copper color. smells kind of like brown sugar being cooked slowly on top of a piece of wood. 4th infusion, this tea has a certain syrupy sweetness for me, toffee, a brisk woodsy feel. i dont get the same “rounded” taste/smell that i get from golden snail or yunnan gold tips. i pick up a strong molasses note, and i think black cherry or plum.. nice.

the dry leaf smells similar to to the brewed aroma but add fine dark soil and also “barnyard smell” (moist hay.) the look of the dry leaf does not have that cool blueish tinge that the WP photo shows.. they are light black to dark brown and some lighter brown on the bends.. looks a bit like a frizzy beard.

inside the pot: between 4th and 5th infusion leaves have almost doubled in size and are looking helter skelter, but before this the leaves sat more uniform with each other and kind of bended around the pot together.

as for caffeine level i cant tell really, i have a kind of tolerance. im drinking this at 7:43 yet i think i’ll be alright, so it couldn’t be too high.

my steeps have been improvised (no exact timing) though ive given generous amounts of time per steep.. lots of flavor to savor.

- nycoma

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

I really enjoyed this one today. Honey oat bread comes to mind when I drink this tea. Stone fruit was also a fairly prominent note. I didn’t really get the salted caramel notes. The eucalyptus showed up for me more in the second and third steeps.

Resteeped at 5&8 minutes per the websites’ recommendations.

Why does it default to 1tsp when you enter in 1.5?

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey, Stonefruits

Kittenna

I hate that I can’t enter in 1.5 tsp. I actually stopped bothering because of that.

Sosleepy

It’s annoying, but I like to just double the water volume and then Voila! 3 tsp makes sense to me if I see they drank it in 16 or 12 oz.s at a time. When I make tea, even for just myself, I always prepare 12-16 oz anyways!

Fluent in gibberish from quite a young age (my mother read Lewis Carroll, among many other great authors and poets, to us as children), I was greatly anticipating sipping this tea. The charming poem for which this tea is named is delightful, whimsical gibberish. This tea however, is no nonsense! I’m convinced this concoction could soothe even the snarliest of beasts. The aroma comforts with the scent fresh baked Tuscan bread drizzled in raw wildflower honey and melted, malty chocolate (or perhaps Prince William’s groom’s cake, made with McVities Rich tea biscuits and chocolate ). The flavor further subdues with plums, toffee and a rich warm mouth feel. The cooling, lingering aftertaste of eucalyptus may just lull one into a trance . . . . .

Not a morning person? Try this tea! It will certainly assuage the morning beast in you.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Honey, Malt, Plums

We had this yesterday at a clean-out-my-freezer tea party. I had prepared tea treats all through October for 45 people for an Alice in Wonderland Halloween tea I was doing for this charity I am involved in. I was socking them away in the deep freeze so I didn’t have to do a lot all at the end. Then the party was cancelled due to the hometown team making it into the World Series. I scheduled a tea at work to use some of the leftovers that couldn’t freeze and that turned out to be the day of the celebration parade. Not that I wish we hadn’t made it, winning after 30 years certainly is nice, but I got really tired of sports messing with my tea!

Anyway, so I could free up some freezer space for the holiday season, we had a little tea yesterday with my mom’s friends. This was one of the teas I served.

One of the ladies was a friend of a friend and I had never met her before. She took a sip of this and said “Oh my goodness, this is amazing tea! I don’t even need sugar or milk!” Later I made a pot of Assam Signature Malt from Golden Tips and she didn’t add anything to it either. She was just stunned that she liked teas without additions or flavorings and she just kept raving about Jabberwocky. Makes me happy when that happens. :) Now, she did add cream to the Flowering Black Tea Cones from Yunnan Sourcing but to be fair, they had sat in their little glass pot for awhile before she tried them and I probably used a cone or two too many for the volume of water. But she said she still liked it a lot.

Then I got to whittle down my stash by giving the ladies a basket of assorted teas to shuffle through to take home. So that, along with excellent tea that was well enjoyed, tasty food and good company made for a good day. :)

But now I need to get more of this tea since I almost used it up!

Maddy Barone

I’m glad the home town team won (since the MN Twins, as usual, fell short) but it’s too bad that all your hard work wasn’t rewarded as it should have been. Still it’s lovely that you were able to help that woman find glorious new teas, and whittle down your stash.

This is, of course, one of White Rabbit’s favorite teas. After all, ’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
I think that says it all.

Flavors: Berry, Cherry, Eucalyptus, Malt

wapppictures

Very nice. Thank you

I had this tea this morning in anticipation of another whispering pines order and it was more fabulous than I remember. It was both sweet and savory, complex, and just plain delectable. Maybe I just had the perfect amount of leaf this time (5g). I dunno! All I know is that it was great!