Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Malt, Muscatel, Plums, Sweet Potatoes, Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Honey, Raisins, Cocoa, Caramel, Cherry Wood, Oak wood, Wood, Chocolate, Floral, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Sweet, Yams, Mint, Toast, Cream, Salt, Custard, Earth, Eucalyptus, Stonefruits, Thick
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “This tea is quite interesting. The first brewing had a nice woodsy taste to it and would be ideal to sip inside during the winter. The second brewing has that mild puckering taste that comes from...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 113 tasting notes
  • “This was one glorious week of tea: received my Republic of Tea order on Monday and my Whispering Pine Teas order today, right on time for breakfast. I was a little puzzled by the fact that most of...” Read full tasting note
    Cachou972 28 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Blodeuyn for this! Oh frabjous day, finally a blend I can brew Gong Fu! Once I heard of this blend I knew that I had to try it. I am a sucker for creativity, and I love...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 98 tasting notes
  • “This tea is hitting all the right spots today. It’s sweet, and chocolatey in the same way that Laoshan Black is, but I’m also getting something fruity, like dark cherry and honey from...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1755 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

If I were the Mad Hatter, what tea would I serve to the Jabberwocky? Perhaps the uffish beast would enjoy something chocolaty? Maybe a finish of eucalyptus would soothe his frumious mind! Mind you, with teeth like snicker-snack’s there would be no turning back so it must be pleasing to the eyes! Purple, green, brown between, so pretty his eyes will gyre! So through the tulgey forest I shall brew and pour us a beautiful cup of the most beautimus tea that he will ever see. I must say – the slithy toves will run away, the jubjub bird will feel okay, and at brillig under the tumtum tree, the Jabber and me will sip some tea! He will chortle and the manxome beast will burble out that he is pleased and the days of worrying that he will eat you will be far away – oh frabjous day!

No more mimsy cups of tea! The Jabberwocky is strong and smooth with a full mouth of wildflower nectar and honey drizzled on a fresh french baguette with a light hint of salt. The middle of the sip hints at creamy chocolate and plum dipped in luscious silky caramel. The finish is strong of camphor and eucalyptus and leaves your mouth feeling fresh and wanting more! The beautiful wet leaves are light brown, mottled with green and purple, and emit the aroma of honey, camphor, and a cool mineral freshness reminiscent of standing at the edge of a raging river. Enjoy the strong qi of this smooth and silky brew anytime of the day, and don’t worry about over-brewing…we knew that the Jabberwocky didn’t like bitterness or astringency, so you won’t find either in this cup!

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Wild Arbor Yunnan Black Tea

Notes: Honey, Nectar, Salted Caramel, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Cocoa, Stonefruit, French Bread

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This tea is quite interesting. The first brewing had a nice woodsy taste to it and would be ideal to sip inside during the winter. The second brewing has that mild puckering taste that comes from the plum notes, which I picked up and my friend did not. This is one of the better black teas I have had thus far but there is still a desire to have a stronger aroma and taste to come out of steeping. I used about 5g of this tea and brewed it for about 5 minutes with water around 208-210 degrees. Overall it was an enjoyable tea to drink between steepings as the flavor changes but I still find myself with a somewhat of a dry taste after finishing cup even when the woodsy notes are gone which is an odd feeling.

This was one glorious week of tea: received my Republic of Tea order on Monday and my Whispering Pine Teas order today, right on time for breakfast. I was a little puzzled by the fact that most of their teas are constantly out of stock but I guess it’s a good sign? And they sell small quantities which is perfect for me considering I always have a hard time finishing all the teas I order…

I’m not really used to Chinese black teas so this is going to be interesting. The Jabberwocky has a very comforting smell. Muscatel and warm bread. I can see myself drinking this for breakfast with French baguette and jams :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Muscatel

Thank you Blodeuyn for this!

Oh frabjous day, finally a blend I can brew Gong Fu! Once I heard of this blend I knew that I had to try it. I am a sucker for creativity, and I love it when companies come up with these amazing titles. I like to sit, sip, and escape in my mind to wonder about the inspiration. I believe it adds to the tea experience.

Anyways, I open this long anticipated package to the aroma of muscatel, sweet plums, and stone fruit. I sat and took in this complex scent. The long tendrils were a deep purple and blood red. They wore a small crystalline coating. I brewed these knots in my mini travel gaiwan. I washed the leaves once to allow them to breathe. I then brewed under the parameters of 10,20,15,25,30,50… second intervals. My spring water touched these leaves and released an enticing atmosphere. I breathed in the steam, inhaling the scent of dark cherry, black chocolate, and buckwheat honey. This tea was bold, yet it had a smooth composure. I drank in the complexity of this treat. The initial sip was a hearty sweet potato alongside a silk chocolate. This taste progressed into a slightly darker fruit tone. The aftertaste concluded as a sheng mouthfeel. I could feel my head rising with this brew. I actually did “wow” aloud. Upon finishing my first steeping I inhaled the wet leaves to explore their aroma. They had a deep malt scent with a slight tinge of spice.

This truly is another well rounded blend by this company. I am very impressed. I enjoy most from this brew the fact that the flavor does not simply stay as one solid flavor. This flavor develops by each second. I can distinctly feel the complex tones change and progress. I am very excited to continue exploring this tea and others by this company.

Flavors: Malt, Muscatel, Plums, Sweet Potatoes

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 75 OZ / 2218 ML

This tea is hitting all the right spots today. It’s sweet, and chocolatey in the same way that Laoshan Black is, but I’m also getting something fruity, like dark cherry and honey from it too. I’ve been savoring this cup for an hour now, and I’m just going to have to resteep it. There’s nothing else to be done.

TheKesser

I love the name of this one :)

My Whispering Pines order came!! First up for review is the Jabberwocky. It smells like plums and roses. It tastes like a toasted sourdough baguette covered in honey. The aftertaste is crisp and fresh. It seems to gain in sweetness as it cools. Overall, this tea is fabulous! I’m so excited to try the others!

the berries are the main character but chocolate and fruits are there as well

Thanks to Brenden at Whispering Pines for this free sample!! I have had this sample for a while, but it hasn’t felt like the day to have it yet. Today, though, feels like the day! Time for the Jabberwocky!

I read the poem, which I actually didn’t know before having this tea, right before making it. I love it! (forgive me for not having read it sooner!) It made me even more excited to try this tea :)

The dry smell is super chocolatey and malty, strong, usually the dry leaf of black teas doesn’t have much scent to me, but this one definitely has a good one! I followed Brenden’s steeping suggestions of 3 mins with 205 degree water. The steeped smell is grainy, malty, a hint of dark chocolate.

As for the flavor, wow, this is a great black tea. The inital flavor is very bready and grainy, some malt, then the honey notes hit!! Wow they are strong and delicious! There is also some fruitiness that I found in Second Breakfast, probably from the Ailaoshan black tea that is in both of them. As it cools, this fruitiness leads into the aftertaste, and it’s definitely cherries. I love cherries! There are also some deep dark chocolate notes at the start of the taste before the honey notes hit. I am not getting too much eucalyptus yet, but there is a faint cooling sensation when I breathe in after the sip, so I think that is it. Wow this is delicious, so comforting. And I definitely feel the caffeine in this lol! Edit – I feel the caffeine alertness, but also an immense sense of relaxation and happy feelings. :D oh and I didn’t mention this tea is smooth smooth smooth. Soft and caressing. So freaking good.

Overall, this is a superb tea. It’s so good. Man, if I could drink black teas more regularly I would order this forever. Oh and also if I wasn’t on a self-imposed tea buying ban. Ugh I just tried to reason with myself and the boyfriend to allow me to order this…no dice. :(. I will be ordering this in the future though. Like, 99% sure. Brenden, please re-blend this after the last bag is purchased. I need it in a month or so! Also, thank you again to Brenden for this free sample! I have found the magic in this tea too!

Flavors: Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Honey, Malt

looseTman

Sounds Awesome!

MissLena

It is so delicious!

What delicious wizardry is this?!

TheTeaFairy

Lol, the Jabber Wocks !

I’m getting honey and fruits with a bit of chocolate and a touch of baked bread. It’s good but on the same note, it’s not as amazing as the hype had me believe. That’s not to say it’s bad, i just think my expectations going in were too high. Nonetheless, I am incredibly grateful to Christina for the chance to try this tea! 275.

Nightshifter

I had a similar experience. I like it, but I didn’t get the complexity and hype. Now Cocoa Amore on the other hand.. :D

VariaTEA

Thank goodness someone had the same experience. I thought I may have missed something

Dustin

It has such a cool name tho!

200th tasting note, and a lovely tea for a rainy day!

I’m very happy to try this sample from beelicious. Having enjoyed several WP offerings in the past, I knew I couldn’t go wrong with one of their black tea blends. This one has dark spindly leaves and a rich, cocoa-and-malt aroma. Brewed up, it’s harmonious and smooth, with that “fuzzy”, almost textured malty undertone that I’ve come to know and love. I can’t quite decide what it reminds me of yet—this is a complex tea that will take much exploration. There’s a lighter, fruity accompaniment to it as well. It’s a blend that is both invigorating and soothing, and while I might love Second Breakfast and North Winds just a little bit more, I enjoyed this one highly as well.

Veronica