Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea, Tahitian Vanilla, Wildcrafted Roasted Cedar Leaves
Cedar, Perfume, Sugar, Vanilla, Caramel, Cherry, Chocolate, Creamy, Floral, Mint, Orchid, Rainforest, Vegetal, Butter, Berries, Sweet, Flowers, Peach, Green, Pear, Roasted, Cream, Mineral, Wet Rocks, Berry
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Rivendell is a majestic Elven outpost in Middle Earth, filled with lush vegetation, towering waterfalls, and clean, pure air.

Our Rivendell blend was inspired by this ethereal place. With a base of sweet Anxi Ben Shan, roasted cedar leaves, and hand-cut Tahitian vanilla, this tea is the essence of purity.

Rivendell opens with the taste of cedar, cherry, and caramel flowing through a luscious sweet body. The middle of the sip coats your mouth with a nectar-like sweetness and hints at vanilla and chocolate, with a touch of pine nut and mineral, reminiscent of spring water that has flowed over miles of untouched granite. The finish is clean with hints of lilac and pear, leaving an aftertaste of cedar and caramel. It tastes as if the purest water in the world flowed through miles of sugarcane fields, scattered with nectar-filled lilacs and orchids, passed through a forest of cedar and cherry trees, then poured over a pristine granite cliff straight into your cup. It’s pure nectar and caramel with light florals, a hint of berries and chocolate, a touch of pine nut, and heady evergreen sweetness.

If there ever was a fruit fit only for the elves, this would be its juice.

Notes: Cedar, Cherry, Caramel, Vanilla, Mineral, Chocolate, Pine Nut, Lilac, Pear

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From the Here’s Hoping TTB R5,

I don’t know if this tea is just old or not to my taste but I didn’t particularly enjoy this cup, which is sad in a way because I’ve been looking forward to trying WP vanilla teas.

There’s also something in this tea that made my throat very scratchy and swell up. It was not fun. I didn’t even attempt a 2nd steep. =(

I gong fu brewed this with the directions on the Whispering Pines website. One last tea time with Dinosara before she’s officially moved!
Steep 1: Vanilla, sweet midsip, florals. Cedar on the out. Sugar aftertaste
Steep 2: Perfume with vanilla in it in the aroma cup. Way sweeter, very vanilla. Still cedar on the breath out. Oolong opening up.
Steep 3: Pretty much the same as the last steep. maybe a bit more cedary.
Steep 4: Still very nice. The mid tones seem to be falling out, I think the oolong is starting to go over.
Steep 5: Fading, for sure. The vanilla and sugar seem to be all that is left.
Steep 6: Same as above, but maybe more green.

You know, I can tell this is a really good tea. It would make a good perfume, but I’m not blown away. It’s super tasty, and I thoroughly enjoy drinking it, but I don’t feel like I NEED it, like a few of the other floral teas that I’m currently in love with. It’s not disappointing, and maybe I’m glad I’m not in love, because it’s expensive, but I’m glad I got a chance to try it and I will enjoy drinking it down.
Edit: I threw the spent leaves in a cold brew pitcher for about 15 hours and it came out very tasty! Floral, almost juicy light fruit, like a white peach, maybe? Pretty sweet for spent leaves, this tea has a lot to give!

Flavors: Cedar, Perfume, Sugar, Vanilla

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Oh no! Is she moving far from you? I know you are good friends! :(

Yes :c She got a great job at another university and I’m still just a grad student here in Ohio. We will still see each other at professional meetings, but no more tea or knitting times!

Beware The following review includes insight about me:
Whispering Pines is a dangerous company because it is so easily to spend all of your tea budget (or more) very quickly without noticing; and there is no regret behind such a choice! I had this tea on my wish list just because it sounded cool, I didn’t intend to purchase it but once I saw it was in stock and someone was wanting it I went ahead and purchased it so I could split it with them. I will admit it was kind of unfair to do such a thing without asking them first… but they wanted it and agreed. I really like when I am able to help others on their tea journey.

Since this is a hard to get ahold of tea and I have a low quantity, I have saved this for a special occasion. Tonight is very special for quite a few people and I am not ashamed to admit I am one of them. You may laugh, but I have been in for this to happen for years: Tonight is the last episode of Degrassi on Nick. I first watched this show in junior high as a requirement in a Life Skills class. Ever since then I have just watched it as it came out. So yes, I have watched this show for over 10 years just as I have listened to Linkin Park. There is a part of me that is emotional over the aspect of what is happening with this show as I have followed it for so long. The series finale is going to occur tonight and it will be accompanied by this tea.
Whispering Pines and I have some interesting history… first of all, I somehow was lucky enough to randomly be on the side and purchase a Black Fight Box which I took to Tokyo with me. How funny is it that I was in Tokyo drinking black tea from Whispering Pines while others were drinking 2015 shincha?

So what is this tea like?
Well, it is the combination of the vibe that I get while I am in a hookah bar and the taste oolong that was roasted in some sort of butter cream ‘stuff’…
Maybe I am weird, but I find the aroma to be a bit odd and the taste to be splendid.
Like I said, Whispering Pines’ orders come s with no regret : )

Daylon R Thomas

I just sent you a sample of it….I think you might be happy with a little more :)

Liquid Proust

That’s awesome :) thanks!

Daylon R Thomas

Also, you’re right-it kinda reminds me of a vanilla flavored smoke from one of the hookah bars in Egypt.

This tea is the reason why I went over budget. This is why I am going to be much more careful with my tea selection. And this tea is important to me. I was just starting to get into Tie Guan Yin’s and oolongs became my new obsession. I wondered if there were any that were Lord of the Rings themed, and low and behold, I find an entire community devoted to all things tea, and the very first review in my sight was Rivendell. This is the tea that introduced me to Steepster, and the oolong that I was determined to try. Like many have said before, it’s named Rivendell, and it has to deliver the promise of a cup from Middle Earth. I waited over a year. I missed some times it was back in stock. Now, I have it.

Does it deliver on the hype? Not quite, but almost. I’m sorry, but it just didn’t. The Tie Guan Yin from Mandala tasted very similar to this, and it is significantly cheaper-cheaper by seven dollars per ounce. It has the same notes, nuances, and aroma in the first steep. I may have gotten lucky with the Mandala sample, being a spring harvest one, and being from a good year. I understand that the majority of the cost is because of the quality of Tie Guan Yin, which can be one of the most expensive teas in the world, and the quality of the Tahitian vanilla bean and cedar leaves. On top of those huge expenses, this product is in very little supply, and there is a tremendous demand for it as clearly apparent on this very site and the frequent times that it is out of stock. Yet the woodsy cedar and vanilla notes are ones that can be found in a high quality Tie Guan Yin-the later steeps are the more complex ones that allow this tea to be different from others. Nevertheless, the price remains as my main point of criticism.

Otherwise, it certainly is a drink that Lord Elrond would offer. It is very Elvish, smelling and tasting like described. The Vanilla and Cedar are the dominant scents and flavors in the tea, with the Tie Guan Yin’s natural orchid, creamy sweetness blending both scent and flavor together. Brenden’s description if pretty accurate. Again, Cedar and Vanilla are immediate. Lilac, or orchid, takes the previous two together and grinds them both with minerals. Caramel is more in the smell. Cherry and chocolate are approximately there, but you really have to search for them. The last three or two steeps really brings out the cherry, and the final one is like pine nut and mint, or menthol. It is a very light tea, and like any Tie Guan Yin, the taste is delicate but distinct. The most impressive aspect of this tea is that it is able to yield the same floral relish of a Gongfu in five western style brewed cups, which partially staves off the price in reusability. I actually let the later steeps soak in for 20-45 seconds more than recommended and got more flavor though this is western.

I thoroughly enjoy this tea. If it weren’t for the incredible price, this tea would have probably been one of the best I’ve had, and one of my favorites. I am very glad that I have it and pretty satisfied that I do, because the quest to have it finally ended in full circle, and it’s a good cup. This is the tea I would have given a 100 to, and this is my tea 100, the hundredth cup I’ve reviewed, the first cup that I saw on this site.

Now, for the audience that this tea aims for. You have to be a fan of Tolkien to fully enjoy this tea, or a huge fan of Tie Guan Yin oolongs and lighter teas. This is the must try tea for you guys, and probably no one else. Because the taste is so delicate, and so specific to Rivendell, a person who prefers stronger teas, someone who has no idea who Tolkien is, or someone who is newer to the over active imagination that is tea tasting would be severely underwhelmed. And if you are in a rush, you cannot possibly savor this tea. You’ll be reminded of the stark reality that you are just drinking a flowery glass of water. You have to slow yourself down, and travel to Middle Earth. You must let go, and allow yourself to escape.

Flavors: Caramel, Cedar, Cherry, Chocolate, Creamy, Floral, Mint, Orchid, Rainforest, Vanilla, Vegetal

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Got this sample from Allan and have finally got to try this tea. It’s been out of stock for ages it seems.

I’ve been lazy lately when it comes to brewing my tea so no gongfu brewing. I just brewed up Western style. When I smelled this from the bag I could smell the cedar. It smelled so good!

It was really delicious brewed up. The floral from the oolong and the vanilla notes seemed to blend together to become a floral vanilla. Heavenly. Then there’s the buttery flavour of the oolong underneath followed by the very light cedar notes. Yep , I love it. Still out of stock I see on the website. I’ll just have to snap some up when it becomes available.

Flavors: Butter, Cedar, Floral, Vanilla

Glad you liked it. I have been lazy and western brewed it too.

It’s a great tea. Glad I got to try it. Thanks Allan.

It’s back, but I just got one of the last three ounces!

Lariel of Lórien

Imladris sounds delicious.

Oh, I gave up trying to get this tea. It’s never in stock and never available when there’s a sale.

Thank you Blodeuyn so very much for this!

I have been stalking this company for quite some time. It saddened me at the fact that most of their teas were sold out. Luckily, a tea friend came to the rescue!

I opened this small package and gave a slight inhale. I experience an enticement of wild berries, waterfalls, long luscious forests, and smooth river stones. I am immediately caught in its spell. I revealed the small variety of pebbles. This one is an emerald, this one a ruby, this one a smooth clay chip. I placed my discovery into my basket and brewed. The aroma that arose from my glass transported me back to that waterfall. The steam rises with the scent of a forest in full spring. The peridot colored liquor dances in front of me as I enjoy this treat. I may not be the largest lord of the rings fan, but I know magic when I taste it. The initial sip was a complex massage. A sweet tree sap engulfed my senses, then followed by the succulent water side berries. This complex tone developed more and more. It carried me through the lush forests and down the springwater. The aftertaste was an intoxicating sensation. It is placed as an exotic vanilla with such depth. The flavor continued and lasted well over the brew. The unfurled leaves created an atmosphere of tranquility. This name is truly fitting of this blend.

I am not a blend/flavored tea drinker. I have rarely enjoyed anything that isn’t straight natural tea. This brew has definitely changed my mind. My only complaint is that the leaves; however beautiful that they are, do not match those pictured. I am okay with this and can understand marketing enough, hahah. I’m grateful to have acquired it. I needed a little magic in my day.

Flavors: Berries, Cedar, Rainforest, Sweet

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Interesting…in what way do the leaves look different to you?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

And I love this review. So glad you enjoyed this! Hopefully it’s changed your mind enough to try my other blends :)

I have been so intrigued by your blends, I have acquired a “sample pack” and will be trying all of them. In the photos the nuggets looked more of a variety of colors, such as maroon, forest green, and brown. The ones I have received were of a vibrant green with small parts of brown.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Huh. Strange! I did recently chance the base tea but I only know of one person that has the new one. Who knows…maybe that one made it to you! :-)

I’m excited to hear what you think of the rest! What all did you get?

Truly is strange but still a beautiful blend. I have Elder Grove, Jabberwocky, Golden Orchid, and Golden Snails to start :) I will be doing photography and reviews. I’m very excited :D I’d say I’m off to a good start with how well Rivendell was.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yay! Those are all good ones :) Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Wow. So I usually like floral teas. I really do. But…this one…
I mean it’s definitely floral. No doubt about it.
But it also tastes a lot like flowers too.
When I opened the bag of this tea it smelled like trees, like as if I were in the woods or something, which was what I was expecting.
But when I went to take a sip there were no trees at all. It was all like flowers and a weird creamy almost peachy flavor?
I don’t know. This is a really really odd tea. I’m not really digging the flowers in this one to be honest. 0_0 I don’t really think that this one is for me. D:
I’m sooo glad that MzPriss was generous enough to send me a sample. THere were so many times that I almost bought this one. Glad I didn’t!
This is seriously like “The Flower Power” tea. Which kinda reminds me of the Producers movie…But that’s what I would re-name this one if I could haha!
Not a horrible tea, it’s just too much for me.
Thank you so much for the sample, MzPriss!!

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Peach

O.o this is my dream tea!

Haha you into those flowery teas?

Def. I’m all about that ’flower power!"

Glad to read this review. I’ve been waiting for this tea to come back in stock, but now I will skip it. I don’t really care for floral. It also seems to give me some nasal congestion (perfume does, too) so I think that I may have a slight allergy or sensitivity to it. So thanks again!

Nooooo! I’d been waiting to try this one for months, but I’ve never met a flower tea that I actually like drinking. Thanks for sharing this though- I’d be even more sad if it was sitting here and I hated it after all the anticipation.

OMG I love Rivendell. I really loved it before. I loved it so much it was taking me forever to figure out how to write about it. And what did The Hobbit do? He went and made it BETTER with the anxi ben shan oolong base. This one of the very, very few teas I rate at 100. I require this tea.

It is ethereally beautiful – green, creamy, floral-fruity.

I love it so much I gave it TWO songs on my blog:

Flavors: Flowers, Green, Vanilla

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

Sounds fantastic! It’s been out of stock with my last two orders.. maybe next time!

You need it.

It’s out of stock every time I’m making an order, too. Someday…. :)

So, this worked last time so, I’ll try it again. I have never tried this tea, but I would desperately love to try this. It sounds so fantastic. If anyone would like to, I would love to swap for this tea.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I’ll send ya a taste of it, you still living at the same Addy? Message me

This is an absolutely beautiful oolong and really does taste like a pure mountain spring. Rivendell is complex, heady and floral—it evokes pear blossoms for me. Don’t miss Whispering Pines’ poetic description—it’s accurate!

Flavors: Floral