Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea, Tahitian Vanilla, Wildcrafted Roasted Cedar Leaves
Floral, Peach, Pear, Roasted, Vanilla, Vegetal, Cream, Cedar, Mineral, Wet Rocks, Berry, Butter
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sarsonator

2 Images

• “This sample came from *mj*. Another vanilla dreams tea to try! Now, I'm not generally a fan of green oolong, but I still wanted to try this one since vanilla is my favorite flavor. The oolong...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 545 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Sarsonator for this tea. This tea is absolutely amazing. It is some of the highest quality oolong I have ever drank. The vanilla creates a buttery sweetness that is absolutely incredible....” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 161 tasting notes
  • “I'm going to start out by saying that I second every word of The Tea Fairy's review. Most importantly that if one endeavors to create a Rivendell tea, it absolutely must deliver! this is no matter...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 482 tasting notes
  • “For different reasons, I waited a long time to get this blend home. I already knew I was going to at least like it, cause it's made of three ingredients I love: TGY, cedar leaves and some mighty...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 404 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Rivendell is a majestic Elven outpost in Middle Earth, filled with lush vegetation, towering waterfalls, and clean, pure air.

Our Rivendell blend was inspired by this ethereal place. With a base of sweet Anxi Tieguanyin, roasted cedar leaves, and hand-cut Tahitian vanilla, this tea is the essence of purity.

Rivendell opens with the taste of cedar, cherry, and caramel flowing through a luscious sweet body. The middle of the sip coats your mouth with a nectar-like sweetness and hints at vanilla and chocolate, with a touch of pine nut and mineral, reminiscent of spring water that has flowed over miles of untouched granite. The finish is clean with hints of lilac and pear, leaving an aftertaste of cedar and caramel. It tastes as if the purest water in the world flowed through miles of sugarcane fields, scattered with nectar-filled lilacs and orchids, passed through a forest of cedar and cherry trees, then poured over a pristine granite cliff straight into your cup. It’s pure nectar and caramel with light florals, a hint of berries and chocolate, a touch of pine nut, and heady evergreen sweetness.

If there ever was a fruit fit only for the elves, this would be its juice.

Notes: Cedar, Cherry, Caramel, Vanilla, Mineral, Chocolate, Pine Nut, Lilac, Pear

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This sample came from mj. Another vanilla dreams tea to try! Now, I’m not generally a fan of green oolong, but I still wanted to try this one since vanilla is my favorite flavor. The oolong pellets are a dark green/yellow and medium in size. There are also roasted cedar leaves mixed in. Dry scent is very sweet with pear and floral notes, and a smidge of vanilla. I steeped it for 3 minutes in 190 degree water.

Brewed aroma kind of reminded me of a wet dog… HAH. Once I got past that it was strong floral and pears. Hmm… I’m kind of underwhelmed by this one based on the amount of hype it’s gotten and its high rating. It mostly just tastes like the usual green oolong to me – very lightly vegetal, mineral notes, peach, floral, etc. I don’t really pick up on a ton of vanilla, maybe a little bit. The cedar leaves give it a nice roasty aftertaste. So overall, it’s good, but I don’t love it.

Flavors: Floral, Peach, Pear, Roasted, Vanilla, Vegetal

AllanK

I sampled this tea last week and gongfud it. I loved it. It may not be at its strongest brewed western style. I got some nice notes with 15 sec steeps. I bought a small quantity of it, arrives tomorrow.

Thank you Sarsonator for this tea. This tea is absolutely amazing. It is some of the highest quality oolong I have ever drank. The vanilla creates a buttery sweetness that is absolutely incredible. This tea was delicious from the first steep. It was not bitter in the sense of many oolongs although there was a tinge of bitterness. This quickly faded by the third steep. Amazingly, as each steep passed the vanilla seemed to get stronger in flavor. I am on the eighth steep now and the vanilla flavor is amazing. I thought I might describe this as almost as good as the Tung Ting Oolong from Tea Trekker before I had drank this. Having drank this I would describe the Tung TIng Oolong by Tea Trekker as almost as good as this. This is the best Oolong I have ever drank. While I would not use the word " tea drunk" this tea has had an incredible relaxing effect on me, is that what is meant by Qi? I don’t know for sure but I am sure glad that Whispering Pines will soon have this back in stock, because I have to buy some. Even though I put this through eight steepings, the leaves are not totally played out. I shall save it for tomorrow and resteep it at least two more times.

I steeped this 8 times in an 180ml teapot with 190 degree water and 5.5g leaf. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, and 2 min. Tomorrow I shall begin with a five minute stetep and see how many more steepings I can get out of the leaves.

Flavors: Cream, Vanilla

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 180 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

So glad you liked this, Allan! :-)

And thanks to Sarsonator for sharing! :D

TheTeaFairy

Yay allan! I was so sure you were going to like this one! glad you did the short steeps too ;-)

AllanK

Yes and I saved what is left to steep tomorrow. Tea Fairy, how many more steepings do you think are left?

Ost

I’ve really got to get this sometime. xD

TheTeaFairy

Allan, i don’t know cause I usually stop at around 6 and cold brew the used leaves for 24 hours in a mason jar. So good!

Sarsonator

This is great, Allan! After trying the amazing shou you sent, I was really hoping that you would find a tea in the samples I sent that you would love just as much!

I’m so happy this worked out :)

mj

I love this one as much as you do, Allan! Maybe more :-)

AllanK

They will have this back in stock in a couple of weeks. I am already on their list for it.

I’m going to start out by saying that I second every word of The Tea Fairy’s review. Most importantly that if one endeavors to create a Rivendell tea, it absolutely must deliver! this is no matter to be taken lightly.

I had high expectations for this one and they were met. If someone told me that this tea came straight out of Rivendell for real, I would believe them. It tastes like a forest, but not just any kind of forest, one inhabited by elves, with delicate traces of magic, beauty, and elegance – if these things could be attributed to a flavor. The flavors all come together nicely, no one of them overpowers another. The vanilla, the roasted cedar leaves, the florals of the oolong base – just perfect.

Terri HarpLady

Guess I’ll have to place another WP order…

Shelley_Lorraine

I was disappointed to see that the Sleeping Bear was restocked after I placed my order. If I hadn’t run out of money again, I’d be placing a new order too. :)

Terri HarpLady

I still haven’t tried the sleeping bear

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It’s running out fast! :-)

Shelley_Lorraine

ugh! i have no money! don’t make me sad. lol I might be able to afford some in a few days though.

Awesome ;-)

Lariel of Lórien

Would this be a good Winter tea?

Shelley_Lorraine

hmm – a winter tea, I suppose it could be. It’s wintery in a holiday sort of way, a tea you’d have while sitting next to a white christmas tree and lots of tinsel and shiny things but not so much with a cozy-country-holidays-warm by-the-fire type of experience. Sorry if my analogy is out there. I think it just depends on what you desire in you winter-time teas.

For different reasons, I waited a long time to get this blend home. I already knew I was going to at least like it, cause it’s made of three ingredients I love: TGY, cedar leaves and some mighty vanilla bean.

In my mind, if you’re going to name a tea Rivendell, you better deliver…cause you know, we’re talking about the epic world here, full of magic, mystery and unusualness.

I’m using a small gaiwan.

As soon as the water hits the leaves, I feel transported. Sweet Jesus. I can’t really come up with words to describe the scent, hard to do it justice. I’d say it smells like a delicate vanilla flower that has grown in a luxuriant forest. The best I can come up with.

The first sip and I’m thinking nooooo!!!! Tea Whiz of the Woods, what have you done? Giving me another addiction, really? I can’t take this anymore. My monthly order keeps growing and growing!

I completely got lost in the session and forgot to take notes. Suspended in time, I just enjoyed the moment. But it’s easy to remember what it tastes like. Not so easy to attempt a description. It confuses me. TGY, check, I like it on its own. But how could the addition of only two other ingredients morphs it into something so different?

First thing that hit me was how creamy it was. I mean there’s creamy and creamy. This is intense creamy. Vanilla pudding mouth.

Then, nice subtle florals are flirting with that fresh menthol mouthfeel that I get from good TGY, amplified by the cedar leaves.

Some fruit notes also join the party. To me, they taste like pineapple and dehydrated apples. I picked that up cause I eat lots of dried apples, I love them. That gongfu session produced many steeps, all better than one another

This tea delivers. It breathes magic, it’s mysterious and unusual. So yeah, it totally deserves to be called Rivendell.

(I can even picture Hobbits, serving this tea to their guests in their Hobbit houses!)

I have no choice but to give the highest rate.

Tea Hobbit, giving it 100 is like giving you a “Tolkien” of my appreciation, hehe. Love it!

Pic:

RIVENDELL! RIVENDELL! RIVENDELL!!
That is all

TheTeaFairy

Lol, mj, we see eye to eye on this one. YOU WERE TOTALLY RIGHT: IT’S PERFECT!!

I know you gave it 100 too, right?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

That was a freaking brilliant pun ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Thanks! No false modesty, I’m pretty proud of myself for this one, haha!

mj

I did give it a 100, but only because I couldn’t give it a 110 :). And yes, that pun totally made me chuckle too!
I’m so happy you like it so much too!!

TheTeaFairy

That’s because we are oolong sisters, remember?

We totally are :)

Cheri

I didn’t get any of this in my order. I’ve got a sample coming soon. I kind of wish I had now.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Cheri, your order is ready to go out, but hasn’t been sealed yet…so you still have the chance! :-)

Cheri

Brenden, you are a tea pusher.

No, I’m going to hold off this time. I’ve got a sample coming in the mail.

Yes, yes I am ;-) hehehe

TheTeaFairy

(He is such a tea pusher cheri)

Cheri

Oh, he absolutely is, but he’s also good at what he does, and getting me to the right teas.

TheTeaFairy

Oh yes…I’ve never had such a good pusher in my life lol.

Imladris tea.

mj

He’s a benevolent pusher for sure :)

Method: The first time, I made this exactly as the instructions stated. The tea had an amazing aroma, but the flavor was just too subtle for me. So today –
3/4 tbsp, 8 oz, 190 degrees, 3 minutes, brew in mug strainer, constellation cup

Aroma: This smells like some kind of sweet dessert. It has a very familiar aroma, but I can’t quite place it, which is driving me nuts!

Flavor: Sweet and fruity, again like a dessert. I want more. MORE!!!!! It’s lovely, but I definitely think I will do 1 full TBSP next time, and see how that tastes. I may increase the time also. I think this is lovely, but I could personally use a stronger flavor. In. Yo. Face.

Pretty cup :)

Cameron B.

Cutest cup everrrrr! :D

Cheri

I agree about the cup! This tea sounds so delicious to me from Brenden’s description. And now this makes it sound even better.

Sarsonator

Thanks, all! I do adore this cup. It is called a Four Seasons cup and it has constellations representing each season. I had to have it!

I am going to go add a bit more leaf and try a re-steep on this one. :)

Cwyn

This was the one tea that intrigued me aside from the ones I actually bought already.

It’s deeeelish!!!

I LOVE this tea. LOVE

No, I love it :p

no I love it schoompie! Also, I’ll be needing your cup

Sarsonator

Everyone is like totally mackin’ on my cup. Here you go, my dearest. They have other designs, too. Mine is the four seasons.

MzPriss

Thank you darling. I’m on the site now. That will have to be my Rivendell/Sleeping Bear cup

Make sure you give them your email to get 5% off

And it shipped pretty fast, considering the distance

I will – I think I’m going for the Autumn Sky

Sarsonator

Awesome! I hope you love it!!!

I might sleep with it

Lariel of Lórien

I feel this should have a companion tea called Elrond.

Everyone is mackin’ on your cup, including me! And I loved Rivendell first :-P

Well I couldn’t review Golden Orchid today without reviewing Rivendell as well! I also had my first cup of this last weekend while at the lake, but logging the cup I’m drinking right now!

The dry smell is much more green, definitely that lovely Tieguanyin scent, minerally and fresh, and the vanilla adds a nice sweet smell in there too. Also a slight woody scent from the cedar. I followed Brenden’s brewing instructions again, 0.5 TBSP in 190 degree water for 3 minutes.

The brewed tea is light in color, and smells mainly of Tieguanyin, a good one at that! As for the flavor….mmmmmmmm, this really does taste good too. It’s light and has a definite mineral quality, a fresh stream over rocks. The vanilla is light and sweet here, not drippy and fudgelike as in GO. This one is light, so fresh. The cedar finishes with a light woodsy quality, bringing out some florals in the tieguanyin and putting in mind a clean forest.

This tea embodies Rivendell. It truly is pure, light, fresh, and magnificent. It evokes water over rocks, quiet forests, and soaring in crisp air. If I was an elf, this would be my drink of choice.

Overall, a very fine tea indeed. This brings about an immense sense of peace, and is not a tea you can rush through drinking. It needs to be enjoyed and savoured. Beautiful tea drawn from beautiful inspiration. And I love LOTR, so that is also a big win :D thanks again for a wonderful tea, Brenden!

Flavors: Cedar, Mineral, Vanilla, Wet Rocks

mj

I hope you steeped it more than once! The 2nd steep is even better :) I got 7 steeps out of my first cup!

MissLena

I had to go to a friend’s house warming so I didn’t have time for multiple steepings this time :( but definitely the next cup I will do a few!

After midnight, Lance is in bed sleeping and I’m awake in the tearoom, my favorite room. Tomorrow is an off day for us so I can stay up late as I want and with Tea in my mug, a furbaby at my feet and a notebook full of eBooks on my lap, I’m all set to read and sip for a while tonight.

With all the lights off except for my reading lamp and the radio off everything is nice
and quite, there no sounds at all in the tearoom except for rhythmic tick-tock of the
clock on the wall and the spontaneous snoring of the doggy, I can hear the sounds of
The crickets and the frogs outside.

A perfect atmosphere for sipping and reading, I’m sipping on Rivendell so I probably should have downloaded a LOTR book but I’m still reading Piers Anthony “If I Pay Thee Not In Gold”.
I think I’m going love this tea, it smells pretty good and I took a few tasty sips already,
it’s going to be nice for reading and relaxing.

I’m going read a bit and sip my tea and soak in some of this peace and quiet with out typing up tasting notes just yet, I will do it a proper review soon but for now I’m just going enjoy this.

Good night Steepster folks :)

Cwyn

Nite Toad, enjoy the mellow moment….:)

MzPriss

What a nice space to be in

Cheri

This is how I love to spend my relaxing time, too, with a good mug of tea, a book, and a furbaby.

Marzipan

I have started doing something similar, but it’s tea, cross stitch, cat and big screen TV.

Cameron B.

Sounds so lovely Tommy! Give the furbaby some love from all of us. :)

ashmanra

How is Lance doing these days, Tommy?

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Lance is doing pretty good these days, no hospitals visits in a while, getting around good and breathing ok too.
He has been drinking Chaga and Reishi mushroom tea lately and I think it makes him feel better too. Thank you for asking bout him :)

ashmanra

Good to hear, Tommy! I still pray for him, and you, too! Glad to know he is doing better.

OMG y’all. This tea is GOOD. No, GREAT. No, DELECTABLE! I was blown away despite the fact I was already expecting amazing things from Whispering Pines, obviously.

The leaves are dark green and tightly rolled, interspersed with cedar. So pretty! See?
Don’t fault the tea for my lack of instagramming skills. I’ve had an account for like 2 days.

The smell of the dry leaves is divine! I could not stop sticking my face in the bag for another whiff. It smells like a berry, but not one that is actually a real berry, wrapped in cream and vanilla. It brews up a light yellow green. The first steep tasted of sweet fictional berry (this is not a bad thing- trust me) and these berries come to you on a cushion of vanilla, cream, and butter. This is followed by a rush of pure, slightly mineral, spring water. This is what Rivendell water would taste like! The sip finishes with buttery toffee rolling in on a smooth, silky mouthfeel.

This tea has a lot to give, and I went for a second and third steep. I stopped because it was late and I need to sleep tonight. The 2nd infusion brought a more intense creamy vanilla berry element that replaced the buttery toffee finish. The third infusion had more cedar coming through, just peeking past the creamy berry goodness and a stronger pure mineral water finish.

This tea is my new precious. It’s a must buy!

Flavors: Berry, Butter, Cedar, Cream, Vanilla

Stephanie

Oh my goodness! What a rave review! Nice!

mj

It was that good! I’m pretty sure I’m going to wake up looking like Liv Tyler as a result drinking this tonight ;-)

Ow ow!!! Haaaa!

Lariel of Lórien

It turns you into an elf princess? I want!

TheTeaFairy

Love the review!!! And the pic :-) CANNOT WAIT to get my order of this…Beloved oolong. Mixed with dreamy vanilla…mmmmm.

mj

Total elf princess tea :). TTF, I hope you like it as much as I did!

I want mine too!!!!

mj

MzPriss and TTF, I know you two are not traditionally resteepers, but this tea definitely should be steeped more than once! The full flavor definitely did not come out in the first steep.

Megan

This sounds amazing! All of your Whispering Pines rave reviews makes me want to order some.

mj

You should order! They have free shipping now :)

Pure heaven in a cup! I love that this tea has teeny tiny cedar leaves peaking out from all the tea – its the prettiest tea Ive ever seen in the brewing basket, greens and purples mixed together in different shapes and textures. Once brewed it has some definite caramel and vanilla notes but its that soft woodsy cedar taste that compliments the tea flavors that really pushes this over the edge for me from a great tea to an amazingly awesome tea. Must not run out of Rivendell – must order more of this soon!!!

Well, this happened :)

If there ever was a fruit fit only for the elves, this would be its juice.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Sweet…pure…gold…soon to ship to your doorstep ;-)

Aaaaaah…relief!