Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Malt, Sugarcane, Grain, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Floral, Caramel, Cocoa, Earth, Honey, Sweet, Butter, Cherry
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “Received this as a sample from my last WP order! Wow, this tea… It's delicious, and complex. A blend of two black teas, it's more restrained than a typical breakfast blend, which I love. It has...” Read full tasting note
    KatBender 99 tasting notes
  • “Malt, cocoa, and earthy/roasty notes in a very smooth, gently sweet cup. This one just might be perfect. Thanks to everyone who recommended it way back in the day!” Read full tasting note
    yingru 148 tasting notes
  • “meh. Not going to need to restock this one after i'm finished with the quantity i have at the moment. This has that oolongy taste going on in the background that i prefer not to drink. It's not...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5236 tasting notes
  • “This tea is good, overall. I get notes of malt first followed by the baked bread and sugarcane. That being said it is too malty for my tastes. Being foremost a fan of Puerh I don't like malt all...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 288 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Time for Second Breakfast — A Baggins’ family recipe, passed down through generations of Baggins’s (thank you, Gollum, for that word)! I was told to keep it secret and keep it safe, but it’s so precious that I had to share!

A day in the Shire wouldn’t be complete without Second Breakfast! This blend is a tad lighter in body than your average breakfast blend, but a whole lot heavier on the flavor! Smooth, sweet, and thick, Second Breakfast is bursting with berries and chocolate. The body is silky and caramelly-sweet, coating your mouth with honey and stonefruit. Red berries can be noted in the middle of the sip along with a hint of pine. The finish is wildflowers and salted french baguette.

Enjoy a journey picking berries on the outskirts of the Shire with your Second Breakfast!

Notes: Berries, Chocolate, Stonefruit, Caramel, Malt, Pine, Salted French Baguette, Wildflowers

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Received this as a sample from my last WP order! Wow, this tea… It’s delicious, and complex. A blend of two black teas, it’s more restrained than a typical breakfast blend, which I love. It has notes of bread and fruit and chocolate, along with a subtle floral finish. I find that I have to sip all my teas from Whispering Pines slowly, and really focus on what I’m drinking, or I miss out on all the subtleties. (I didn’t pay nearly enough attention when I tried my first cup of this, and couldn’t remember a thing about it afterward. Bad tea drinker, bad!)

Now I really want to order more, so I can drink this all the time. Agh, but I have far too many teas in my cupboard right now, and on my wish list! Whispering Pines, you’ll be the death of me. (Or just my wallet, I guess?)

meh. Not going to need to restock this one after i’m finished with the quantity i have at the moment. This has that oolongy taste going on in the background that i prefer not to drink. It’s not completely off putting, so i’ll continue drinking this but it means that i like it less than other teas from WP :)

This tea is good, overall. I get notes of malt first followed by the baked bread and sugarcane. That being said it is too malty for my tastes. Being foremost a fan of Puerh I don’t like malt all that much, unless it is the rare chocolate malt taste, which this doesn’t have. It is still good though.

I brewed this tea once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 4 min. I would recommend this tea to drinkers who like malt flavor.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Sugarcane

OH MY GOSH!!! I TASTE THE BREAD!!!

It’s only my first sample from the lovely Ost (and my first taste of anything from Whispering Pines) and I am already being enlightened. I’ve been reading “baked bread” in a lot of reviews lately and kind of had that “hmph…yeah right…” reaction every time. Like…I can’t believe that tea can taste like bread (don’t judge me for my newbie-ness). It just boggles my mind in an I-totally-love-this kind of way.

And to be honest, I’m so taken aback by the bread part that I don’t know that I can pick up on anything else. Certainly suitable for breakfast! It feels like I would enjoy this right around afternoon snack time, as well.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grain

Ost

Hehe-I’m so glad you liked it! :D

CHAroma

You should try Verdant Tea’s Laoshan Black. It’s incredibly popular and exhibits the bread/grain note better than most teas. Teavivre also offers some great (and much more affordable) bready tea options like Yunnan Dian Hong. Although I have to say that my favorite teas from these vendors are Verdant’s Zhu Rong Yunnan Black and Teavivre’s White Peony (aka Bai Mu Dan).

Mj sent me a sample of this one because, a while back, I was ruminating over making some myself since I had both the teas in the blend. However, I would need to try some first to know what taste I was going for. I had actually totally forgotten about the whole thing, until I saw this little samples in mj’s swap package with the words “for experiments”. Thanks dear! :P The leaves are small to medium in size and very dark. They’re thin and quite twisty. Dry, they smell like delicious cocoa goodness (hah, that Cavalla again) and it’s making me want to eat them… I steeped mine for 3 minutes in 200 degree water.

I can smell both teas in the brewed aroma – the breadiness and malt from the Keemun along with the fruitiness and floral from the Ailaoshan. The same is true in the taste for me. I’m relieved that the bread flavor is very strong here, as I was worried that it might get overpowered by the fruit. There’s also a lot of maltiness, and then the lovely dried fruit and caramelized brown sugar from the Ailaoshan. I also get a little bit of floral near the end. Based on the overall taste here, I’m guessing either a 50/50 split or maybe like a 60/40 with the Keemun being the majority. Unfortunately I don’t have any of the Keemun right now, so I’ll keep the other half of my sample for when I do. :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Floral, Malt

Good luck ;)

Glad you like it! :D

Cameron B.

Well, I like both of the teas included, so how could I not like it? :P

Whispering Pines Tea Company

That is a good question! :)

This was included as a sample in my order. Feeling a bit blue this morning, so I decided to try it based on the name, which is an awesome name for tea.

It’s quite good, and very gentle for a breakfast tea. For some reason, I really want to add some cinnamon to it, so I might give that a try for the second cup. I wish I had some jam and scones or croissants to go with it. Or maybe some lembas bread…

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Skulleigh

I was right – cinnamon goes great with this. I added some Torani Brown Sugar Cinnamon syrup that we have onhand to it, and it hit the spot.

This is my second stab at this tea. The first came out weak and inconsequential in the cup…so if first you don’t succeed, try again!

Ordering Whispering Pines Second Breakfast was close to a no-brainer for me. I love good tea blends. What I mean by I love good tea blends is that I love good tea in good tea blends. Because Whispering Pines sells so few straight black teas, and all that I have tasted have been to my liking, it was easy to know I would like this tea. And like I do!

Second Breakfast dry leaf in incredibly chocolatey smelling. Not cocoa. Chocolate. The chocolate note joins with the sugar cane quality in the Ailaoshan black tea to give a strong scent of warm chocolate syrup. Wet, the leaves unfurl long and beautiful. The liquor of Second Breakfast is a warm amber brown that smells of earth and chocolate and a touch of dark stone fruit. In the cup, the keemun’s earthiness mutes the usual boldness of the Ailaoshan black. It expands the base flavor profile of this tea so much so that there isn’t much going on the middle of the cup. There is some grain and a touch of malt as a middle note, which is a pleasing combination with the earthy chocolate bottom note. Top note is a dark stone fruit and a dark forest floral note. Nothing bright in this cup, but nothing overly dark and brooding either. If this cup was a forest and you were Lil Red Riding Hood, you’d continue on your way to your grandma’s house. The audience wouldn’t be waiting for a big “BOO”, and hopefully, when you got to grandma’s house, she’d have a lovely large cup of Second Breakfast waiting for you. Warm, earthy and comforting, it is a good cup of tea with a lovely deep flavor profile.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Earth, Floral, Grain

Wasn’t too sure of this one when I tried it the other day, but on the second try, I actually find myself liking it. I thought it was really earthy at first…probably because I over-steeped it. xD But I really taste the bread and honey flavors. Kinda earthy still. But the bready-ness makes up for it to me. Enjoying this tea a lot more the second time around! (:

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Honey, Sweet

Lariel of Lórien

Try singing Hobbit songs to it next time.

Ost

Aha wow xD I’ll keep that in mind next time :P

(Backlog review from last night)

Having Second Breakfast at midnight. That’s right, I live dangerously.

What…Is there a warning somewhere that stipulates this tea should be drank only in the morning?

There, didn’t think so.

Nice fruity and malty cup, mmmmm! So good!

Crusty bread, salty caramel and cocoa notes. Sweet and mellow, but not lacking in the taste department, au contraire.

I know I’m having it at night, but I will have it in the morning eventually and it will be very kind to me.

Some breakfast teas are like a slap in the face, waking you abruptly like a loud beeping alarm clock, screaming at you «Wake up, sleepyhead!!!»

This will take a more gentle route. It will just rub your shoulder softly and whisper in your ear «wake up sweetie, today will be a lovely day…»

It’s that kind of tea. It knows how to treat you right.

Took out the big mug tonight…just needed the right gear for it:

MzPriss

SB in the tentacle mug is full of win! <3

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I think you are the cutest.

Sarsonator

No, I think she is the cutest :p

Missy, it is right??

And NO!!!! Y’ALL are the cutest!!!!! <3

boychik

<3 review

Cwyn

I felt soothed reading this review!

Terri HarpLady

More tentacle teawares!

inranger

Another WP on the wishlist! :)

Boychik, you are sweet <3

TheTeaFairy

Cwyn, you so deserve soothing… :-)

Terri, tentacles make badass teaware!!!

Inranger, it’s nom, you need this!

pyarkaaloo

“Second Breakfast at Midnight”—that would be such a righteous name for a tea!

Lariel of Lórien

“Second Breakfast at the Green Dragon”.