Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Malt, Sugarcane, Grain, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Floral, Caramel, Cocoa, Earth, Honey, Sweet, Butter, Cherry
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “This was a sample sent with my whispering pines order. I knew this was a blend of two teas but couldn't recall which ones when I made it. Right after the first sip, I knew there was the Ailaoshan...” Read full tasting note
    caile 198 tasting notes
  • “Received this as a sample from my last WP order! Wow, this tea… It's delicious, and complex. A blend of two black teas, it's more restrained than a typical breakfast blend, which I love. It has...” Read full tasting note
    KatBender 111 tasting notes
  • “I hadn't really given this a proper review last time because I had been super busy back when I tried it first. I owe a lot of the productivity of the last few weeks to this tea, things wouldn't...” Read full tasting note
    yingru 169 tasting notes
  • “Working from home this morning because i haven't been able to sleep well since we got back from vacation. So i'm exausted. The plus to that, is that since my other half is working nights this...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5360 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Time for Second Breakfast — A Baggins’ family recipe, passed down through generations of Baggins’s (thank you, Gollum, for that word)! I was told to keep it secret and keep it safe, but it’s so precious that I had to share!

A day in the Shire wouldn’t be complete without Second Breakfast! This blend is a tad lighter in body than your average breakfast blend, but a whole lot heavier on the flavor! Smooth, sweet, and thick, Second Breakfast is bursting with berries and chocolate. The body is silky and caramelly-sweet, coating your mouth with honey and stonefruit. Red berries can be noted in the middle of the sip along with a hint of pine. The finish is wildflowers and salted french baguette.

Enjoy a journey picking berries on the outskirts of the Shire with your Second Breakfast!

Notes: Berries, Chocolate, Stonefruit, Caramel, Malt, Pine, Salted French Baguette, Wildflowers

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This was a sample sent with my whispering pines order.

I knew this was a blend of two teas but couldn’t recall which ones when I made it. Right after the first sip, I knew there was the Ailaoshan black, but then also could detect keemun. Ah, delicious!
I might even prefer this blend to the straight ailaoshan – it has more grain and chocolate malt notes which meld with the fruitiness so beautifully.
A fancy and gentle breakfast tea, which would also be good anytime of day.

Tabby

Been meaning to try this one!

caile

It was good, and I’m glad to have had the sample as probably wouldn’t have bought it otherwise. I never think to try to blend teas I have on my own though.

Received this as a sample from my last WP order! Wow, this tea… It’s delicious, and complex. A blend of two black teas, it’s more restrained than a typical breakfast blend, which I love. It has notes of bread and fruit and chocolate, along with a subtle floral finish. I find that I have to sip all my teas from Whispering Pines slowly, and really focus on what I’m drinking, or I miss out on all the subtleties. (I didn’t pay nearly enough attention when I tried my first cup of this, and couldn’t remember a thing about it afterward. Bad tea drinker, bad!)

Now I really want to order more, so I can drink this all the time. Agh, but I have far too many teas in my cupboard right now, and on my wish list! Whispering Pines, you’ll be the death of me. (Or just my wallet, I guess?)

I hadn’t really given this a proper review last time because I had been super busy back when I tried it first. I owe a lot of the productivity of the last few weeks to this tea, things wouldn’t have gone so smoothly without it!

The blend is made of dark, spindly leaves, and the tea brews up to a lighter color than the typical black tea, having a somewhat lighter body as well. The aroma is intoxicating—words like “perfume” and “bouquet” come to mind, but never in an over-the-top way. It’s a very fresh, natural, earthy scent with fruit and florals mixed in, like a deep forest after a rain. The taste is luxuriously rich in spite of being light-bodied, with that malty, slightly “fuzzy” Chinese black tea feel. The lingering notes are sweeter and more fruit-like. It’s very enjoyable at any time of day, and I’m now curious about trying the two individual teas that make up the blend as well.

Working from home this morning because i haven’t been able to sleep well since we got back from vacation. So i’m exausted. The plus to that, is that since my other half is working nights this week, we’ll have a bit of time together to start putting the house back together lol my mother will be up in a week? and our spare bedroom currently has all our office things in it.
the other upside so this, is that my other half got up early to make banana bread, so it would be warm from the oven first thing in the morning. So a slice of that and a cup of this, and i was off to a great start this morning. Still meh about this tea, so the last of it is off to cavo so that she can give this one a try.

This tea is good, overall. I get notes of malt first followed by the baked bread and sugarcane. That being said it is too malty for my tastes. Being foremost a fan of Puerh I don’t like malt all that much, unless it is the rare chocolate malt taste, which this doesn’t have. It is still good though.

I brewed this tea once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 4 min. I would recommend this tea to drinkers who like malt flavor.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Sugarcane

OH MY GOSH!!! I TASTE THE BREAD!!!

It’s only my first sample from the lovely Ost (and my first taste of anything from Whispering Pines) and I am already being enlightened. I’ve been reading “baked bread” in a lot of reviews lately and kind of had that “hmph…yeah right…” reaction every time. Like…I can’t believe that tea can taste like bread (don’t judge me for my newbie-ness). It just boggles my mind in an I-totally-love-this kind of way.

And to be honest, I’m so taken aback by the bread part that I don’t know that I can pick up on anything else. Certainly suitable for breakfast! It feels like I would enjoy this right around afternoon snack time, as well.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grain

Ost

Hehe-I’m so glad you liked it! :D

CHAroma

You should try Verdant Tea’s Laoshan Black. It’s incredibly popular and exhibits the bread/grain note better than most teas. Teavivre also offers some great (and much more affordable) bready tea options like Yunnan Dian Hong. Although I have to say that my favorite teas from these vendors are Verdant’s Zhu Rong Yunnan Black and Teavivre’s White Peony (aka Bai Mu Dan).

Mj sent me a sample of this one because, a while back, I was ruminating over making some myself since I had both the teas in the blend. However, I would need to try some first to know what taste I was going for. I had actually totally forgotten about the whole thing, until I saw this little samples in mj’s swap package with the words “for experiments”. Thanks dear! :P The leaves are small to medium in size and very dark. They’re thin and quite twisty. Dry, they smell like delicious cocoa goodness (hah, that Cavalla again) and it’s making me want to eat them… I steeped mine for 3 minutes in 200 degree water.

I can smell both teas in the brewed aroma – the breadiness and malt from the Keemun along with the fruitiness and floral from the Ailaoshan. The same is true in the taste for me. I’m relieved that the bread flavor is very strong here, as I was worried that it might get overpowered by the fruit. There’s also a lot of maltiness, and then the lovely dried fruit and caramelized brown sugar from the Ailaoshan. I also get a little bit of floral near the end. Based on the overall taste here, I’m guessing either a 50/50 split or maybe like a 60/40 with the Keemun being the majority. Unfortunately I don’t have any of the Keemun right now, so I’ll keep the other half of my sample for when I do. :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Floral, Malt

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Good luck ;)

Glad you like it! :D

Cameron B.

Well, I like both of the teas included, so how could I not like it? :P

Whispering Pines Tea Company

That is a good question! :)

This was included as a sample in my order. Feeling a bit blue this morning, so I decided to try it based on the name, which is an awesome name for tea.

It’s quite good, and very gentle for a breakfast tea. For some reason, I really want to add some cinnamon to it, so I might give that a try for the second cup. I wish I had some jam and scones or croissants to go with it. Or maybe some lembas bread…

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Skulleigh

I was right – cinnamon goes great with this. I added some Torani Brown Sugar Cinnamon syrup that we have onhand to it, and it hit the spot.

This is my second stab at this tea. The first came out weak and inconsequential in the cup…so if first you don’t succeed, try again!

Ordering Whispering Pines Second Breakfast was close to a no-brainer for me. I love good tea blends. What I mean by I love good tea blends is that I love good tea in good tea blends. Because Whispering Pines sells so few straight black teas, and all that I have tasted have been to my liking, it was easy to know I would like this tea. And like I do!

Second Breakfast dry leaf in incredibly chocolatey smelling. Not cocoa. Chocolate. The chocolate note joins with the sugar cane quality in the Ailaoshan black tea to give a strong scent of warm chocolate syrup. Wet, the leaves unfurl long and beautiful. The liquor of Second Breakfast is a warm amber brown that smells of earth and chocolate and a touch of dark stone fruit. In the cup, the keemun’s earthiness mutes the usual boldness of the Ailaoshan black. It expands the base flavor profile of this tea so much so that there isn’t much going on the middle of the cup. There is some grain and a touch of malt as a middle note, which is a pleasing combination with the earthy chocolate bottom note. Top note is a dark stone fruit and a dark forest floral note. Nothing bright in this cup, but nothing overly dark and brooding either. If this cup was a forest and you were Lil Red Riding Hood, you’d continue on your way to your grandma’s house. The audience wouldn’t be waiting for a big “BOO”, and hopefully, when you got to grandma’s house, she’d have a lovely large cup of Second Breakfast waiting for you. Warm, earthy and comforting, it is a good cup of tea with a lovely deep flavor profile.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Earth, Floral, Grain

Wasn’t too sure of this one when I tried it the other day, but on the second try, I actually find myself liking it. I thought it was really earthy at first…probably because I over-steeped it. xD But I really taste the bread and honey flavors. Kinda earthy still. But the bready-ness makes up for it to me. Enjoying this tea a lot more the second time around! (:

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Honey, Sweet

Lariel of Lórien

Try singing Hobbit songs to it next time.

Ost

Aha wow xD I’ll keep that in mind next time :P