Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Black Currant, Caramel, Honey, Malt, Salt, Floral, Fruity, Stonefruits, Grain, Sweet, Sugarcane, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Cocoa, Earth, Butter, Cherry
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Time for Second Breakfast — A Baggins’ family recipe, passed down through generations of Baggins’s (thank you, Gollum, for that word)! I was told to keep it secret and keep it safe, but it’s so precious that I had to share!

A day in the Shire wouldn’t be complete without Second Breakfast! This blend is a tad lighter in body than your average breakfast blend, but a whole lot heavier on the flavor! Smooth, sweet, and thick, Second Breakfast is bursting with berries and chocolate. The body is silky and caramelly-sweet, coating your mouth with honey and stonefruit. Red berries can be noted in the middle of the sip along with a hint of pine. The finish is wildflowers and salted french baguette.

Enjoy a journey picking berries on the outskirts of the Shire with your Second Breakfast!

Notes: Berries, Chocolate, Stonefruit, Caramel, Malt, Pine, Salted French Baguette, Wildflowers

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This was an amazingly pleasant surprise from a tea friend. I am in love with this company, and I love it when one of their products ends up in my tea room. I opened the package to take a whiff. The dry leaf carries a subtle smoky aroma. The package contained small black curls speckled with golden tendrils. I placed these treats in my warmed gaiwan and gave them a shake. The warmed leaf scent heightened to a black currant and a deep smoky undertone. I brewed up a cup and took in this aroma. The liquor was deep crimson ruby and smelled of caramel, malt, and slight dark chocolate. The initial sip was amazing and robust. The brew tasted of salted caramel, baked bread, and a hearty malt. This brew kept consistently bold and the flavors remained distinguished throughout multiple steepings. The tea became sweeter with a buckwheat honey undertone and blackberry flavor. This was yet another amazing brew from this company, and it suited well for an early morning tea session.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Black Currant, Caramel, Honey, Malt, Salt

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is the first time that I have ever tried a Whispering Pines sample….I know…I’ve been missing out. Although my tea journey is taking me down a different path (away from blacks) I still want to try the snails and the orchid.

I am not one of those people that can easily pick out/name particular flavours and notes that a tea is giving, but I have found that it is becoming easier. I found with this tea, a few notes were easily noticeable.

First infusion I found strong fruit notes and bread. The floral came out as the cup cooled.

Infusion two I found that salty baguette!!! I am impressed that I found it!! That was followed up strong notes of honey and then floral again as the cup cooled.

It was a nice intro to Whispering Pines, and I have TheLastDodo to thank for the sample…so Thank You!!! :)

The Cookie Lady included a generous sample of this tea in her HUGE swap package last week. I’ve loved the other things I’ve tried from Whispering Pines and I’m a huge Tolkien fan, so I was really excited to sample this one. However, I didn’t love it as much as I was expecting to. It’s certainly a high quality black tea blend with beautiful large twisted leaves and it’s good for multiple re-steeps, but it isn’t my favorite flavor profile for a black tea. I found it to be quite light and fruity with a touch of floral in the aftertaste. I’d certainly drink it again, but I don’t feel like I need this one in my cupboard.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Stonefruits

Ost

The Cookie Lady is awesome :D

Inkling

Yes she is!!!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

This was the most festive tea I had, so I served it up in my antique cream white and green teacups, a la a Irish breakfast.
I may have underleafed here, because the flavor was lacking. It was thinner in body than I had hoped, and there was not much to it. Maybe some wildflower honey and bread crusts? But all very subdued.

Sigh. I will have to try this again at elevensies.

This is a sample from Zack. Thank you!.

I have been a little leery of ordering the blended teas from Whispering Pines, because the pure tea is oh so good. This is a combination of Alioshan Black and Keemun. The Keemun is what stands out to me in this blend, but with the Alioshan, it seems to be a much softer cup. Slightly fruity, a rounded bread flavor with hints of chocolate. A great morning cup.

Haveteawilltravel

Lord of The Rings reference?

Whispering Pines Tea Company

@haveteawilltravel Of course! :)

Glad you liked this, TeaTiff! Don’t be leery…I like plain teas most so my blends have to suit me as well. Trust in the blends! Hehe ;-)

So I’ve been off all week and my sleep schedule is messed up bc I’ve been staying up later and later watching Goong (Princess Hours) and playing Fantasy Life on my 3DS and basically the point is that I am drinking Second Breakfast while I wait for actual breakfast and it’s 2:45. :P

I hope I’m not working tomorrow bc it will be pretty much impossible to get to sleep around midnight. :P

This tea is really good. I was a little concerned about drinking breakfast tea on an empty stomach but it’s not THAT strong. It’s very malty, a little sweet, and a little heavy like warm bread.

This tea is totally hobbit-worthy. Thanks Sil!

Courtney

I’ve had the same week. It was reading week and my friend and I did not study at all, and instead stayed up for all the hours playing games and such – all week. Also, this tea sounds tasty. :)

Cavocorax

It’s a pretty good week, eh? :D

whatshesaid

Who gets up with the kiddo in the early morning?!

Cavocorax

She sleeps in until noon! :O (But then she’s up until 2AM. Haha. We’re a bit unorthodox I guess bc my husband is home with her and they run on their own schedule)

Very nice breakfast tea. I like the subtle flavors with nothing really sharp as you drink it. I get a nice grain/bread taste with a subtle cocoa aftertaste.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grain, Sweet

Bought this as part of my most recent WP order… it was one I just added on a whim because I wasn’t sure if Keemun was my thing. I’ve had some before that was a bit too smoky for my personal tastes.

The Hobbit in me made sure I ordered it to try, despite my initial reservations.

Am I the owner of a very refined pallet? No, I am not. However, I really enjoyed this tea. I could tell upon first sniff that it was going to be one of those juicy sort of fruity black teas, and I was totally right.

I enjoyed this as my “Second Breakfast” today, it was very satisfying. I had coffee first thing in the morning, and I had brought this to work to make sure I could try it asap. I wasn’t disappointed. It had bready notes and a slight maltiness to compliment all the juicy mouth watering flavor.

I wouldn’t call it a chocolatey tea, personally, but that’s ok by me, because I wouldn’t want a chocolatey tea for breakfast anyway.

Not regretting my inner Hobbit’s decision to order this tea :)

WP keemun isn’t smokey at all i don’t find.

I’ve loved the concept of this tea since the first time I set eyes on it. I guess that’s no surprise… I’ve felt like a kid staring into a toy shop and Second Breakfast was that special toy that I wanted for Christmas, but I never actually bought it for myself. Shame on me. But luckily I received several samples of Whispering Pines tea from the best people ever, and I got this tea. I was super excited. Best. Day. Ever. So, I actually waited to try this. I drank it Christmas Day. Happy Christmas to me.

This is another Chinese Black tea. I don’t know much about them, but I have noticed that there is a huge difference between Chinese teas and the traditional Indian teas that we drink every day. Something almost mysterious that I can’t ever describe. But anyway, I would say this was similar to the Mountain Nectar that I tried previously, yet milder. I don’t know if I used enough tea, but I steeped it twice. It’s very mild and not very bitter – but I might need to drink some more, because it hasn’t left much of an impression on me… I was very distracted yesterday, though. That might have been the problem. I could… drink the last of the sample that NayLinn sent me… I do think my favorite so far out of the three teas that I’ve tried is the Jabberwocky. That kind of surprised me.

It takes me back to that primary school apple experiment where we stated which of the three generic apples were our favorite than picked after a blind taste test. Just so you know, I knew exactly which apple was my favorite. Granny Smith outshines Golden and Red every time for it’s tart flesh and tangy skin. Red always has a bitter skin and Golden Delicious is more like overly sweet wood pulp. Sorry, that was quite a tangent… But the point was that I was certain that Second Breakfast would be my favorite, and it wasn’t. It was the Jabberwocky tea! So I’ll have to buy this one too.

P.S. I drink Whispering Pines tea now. Whispering Pines tea is cool.
P. P. S. Even though I think fandom teas at Adagio are super cool, I could never see Second Breakfast as anything other than a Whispering Pines tea. Second Breakfast and Whispering Pines is my OTP (Original Tea Pairing). I need to stop.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Just you wait for Mirkwood and The Shire ;-)

Lupiressmoon

I came so close to trying this tonight in an order, but am low on funds so could only choose one – went with Northwinds instead

ThainofBuckland

That sounds good too. I think the next time I buy tea, I’ll have to indulge and buy several teas from Whispering Pines.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m in love with North Winds. I can honestly say that it’s my favorite tea. Haha

Lupiressmoon

Well can’t wait, have a feeling I’ll end up trying bunches eventually

ThainofBuckland

I’ll have to buy some of that next time.

ThainofBuckland

When will you restock Rivendell? I wanted to buy some of that, but purchased another tea instead. Maybe I could purchase all the Tolkien themed teas at one time in the near future?

This is a very nice breakfast tea. There is a strong crusty bread note that is so good. I can also taste chocolate, and, although I expected it to be stronger, I’m glad it’s not the dominating note because it seems more breakfast-y to me this way. There’s also notes of stone fruit and honey as well as a light floral note at the end of the sip. I was on the fence before about whether there was a dried or stone fruit note.Today it’s stone fruit… something between apricot and cherry. It’s a juicy, fresh taste that weaves around the honey and floral flavors. It all blends together into a lovely medium bodied tea that is nice to wake up to (even if it is a Monday).