Yunnan Dian Hong
Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cream, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Walnut, Wood, Honey, Maple Syrup, Chocolate, Flowers, Fruity, Oak wood, Smooth, Cocoa, Sweet, Tannic, Milk, Moss, Tea, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood, Creamy, Dark Wood, Citrus, Apricot, Grain, Nectar, Stonefruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “After I finish with this review, the backlog will be empty once again. I’m sure that some of you who may stumble across this review know the tremendous sense of relief that comes with...” Read full tasting note
    eastkyteaguy 240 tasting notes
  • “I’ve decided to up my rating on this tea. I’ve been drinking it a lot recently (cold weather always makes me want tea) and I haven’t really been noticing that odd taste when it...” Read full tasting note
    rand0m1s 40 tasting notes
  • “Brenden gave me a 5g rolled ball of this to try out (The Spring 2016 harvest, I imagine). And holy cats this is good. It has a very sweet syrupy scent to it mixed in with the malt. Almost like a...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 184 tasting notes
  • “This is for the Spring 2016 harvest, generously provided in sample size with my recent order. Holy cats, this is an awesome tea. This reminds me of all I adore in golden tippy teas. The malt, the...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 767 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This tea comes from southern Yunnan and is picked once a year in the early spring. The harvest utilizes fresh buds to create a flavorful and very sweet tea. The dry leaf aroma is malt, milk chocolate, wildflowers, and apricot, and the wet leaf hints at a deeper cocoa as well as oak and maple wood. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and clean, opening with dark oak honeydew and milk chocolate. The middle is full of cream and malt and the finish brings forth notes of wildflowers and apricot. Later infusions hint at stronger stonefruit and a mouth-coating nectar-like quality is always present. Currently my favorite Yunnan black tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

After I finish with this review, the backlog will be empty once again. I’m sure that some of you who may stumble across this review know the tremendous sense of relief that comes with catching up all of your work. Part of what kept me from reviewing this tea sooner was that I made a point of trying to really savor it. I also pushed myself to see how it reacted to multiple methods of preparation.

I brewed this tea both Western and gongfu. I actually tried two different Western preparations. One was a one step preparation in which I steeped approximately 3-4 grams of loose tea leaves in around 8 ounces of 205 F water for 5 minutes. The other method was a three step infusion in which I steeped 3 grams of loose tea leaves in 8 ounces of 205 F water for 3 minutes and then followed that up with 5 and 7 minute infusions. For the gongfu session, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds following a quick rinse. This infusion was followed by 12 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes. This review will primarily detail the results of the gongfu session, though I will undoubtedly comment on the other preparations at some point.

Prior to the rinse, I noted that the dry tea leaves emitted pleasant aromas of dark chocolate and malt. After the rinse, I noted more pronounced aromas of dark chocolate and malt accompanied by hints of brown sugar and orange. The first infusion produced a similar, albeit slightly more integrated aroma. The mouth was dominated by dark chocolate, though I could detect impressions of sorghum molasses, malt, brown sugar, and wood just beneath the heavy chocolate flavor. Subsequent infusions introduced a fruitiness and creaminess on the nose and in the mouth. The dark chocolate, brown sugar, malt, wood, and sorghum were joined by impressions of cream, orange peel, and black cherry. Later infusions emphasized the wood, malt, and cream impressions, though traces of orange peel, sorghum, and dark chocolate remained. I noted that a slight mineral presence emerged both on the nose and in the mouth, as did a somewhat distant impression of black walnut.

While the gongfu session presented a very elegant, layered tea that revealed its charms over time, the Western infusions predictably produced a more balanced tea liquor overall. The one step infusion emphasized the tea’s woodier, more tannic qualities and presented a more astringent brew that nevertheless revealed strong notes of orange peel, wood, malt, cream, and dark chocolate. The three step infusion moved from heavy dark chocolate, wood, and malt presences during the first infusion to a sweeter, fruitier cup full of brown sugar, cream, orange, and black cherry notes during the second infusion. The third infusion presented a mildly malty, creamy liquor with wood, chocolate, fruit, and mineral underpinnings.

In the end, I was very pleased with this tea. I found it to be very sophisticated, yet also very approachable. While I do wish it had a little more bite, I think fans of smooth, nuanced black teas will find a lot to love about this one. I would have no problem recommending this tea to anyone searching for a high quality Chinese black tea with plenty of character.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cream, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Walnut, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I’ve decided to up my rating on this tea. I’ve been drinking it a lot recently (cold weather always makes me want tea) and I haven’t really been noticing that odd taste when it cools down like I did before. Not sure what happened there.

There are others from Whispering Pines I prefer more (Golden Snail or North Winds), but this is enjoyable in its own right.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Brenden gave me a 5g rolled ball of this to try out (The Spring 2016 harvest, I imagine). And holy cats this is good. It has a very sweet syrupy scent to it mixed in with the malt. Almost like a pancake and syrup breakfast. The taste is just as good. While not quite as sweet as the scent on the nose, it still has that signature malty sweetness. I would venture to say the taste of it is close to a honey than syrup. Still delicious either way. And it lasted a good 6 or 7 infusions with solid flavor while brewing gongfu style. This is what I look for in a black tea.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Maple Syrup

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Holy cats, this is an awesome tea. This reminds me of all I adore in golden tippy teas. The malt, the cocoa, the cream. This one has a smooth, rich, buttery feeling to it. A truly exceptional harvest with what had to be some masterful processing. Second steep was not as mind blowing, but I did steep the first cup for at least 4 minutes, Western style.

Gorgeous.

Another one from this afternoon. I’m looking forward to focusing on just a couple of teas next week while on vacation but i’m glad to be playing around with a few variations of tea today. I’m going to miss the variety even if it means i’ll get a few sipdowns in on older teas haha. This one isn’t my favourite from WP but it’s a relatively decent tea. I’ve had it a few times now and though i likely won’t restock, it’s certainly been enjoyable while i’ve had it.

Got this as a sample from an order I placed at the end of last year. This is a very interesting-looking tea, and the dry leaves are fuzzy little twists that expand impressively upon brewing. A little bit goes a long way, and I found that just a small pinch can make for a satisfying cup. The leaves give off a golden color in the cup that tends to settle toward the bottom. The taste is malty, baked-goods-esque, with quite a luscious feel and a hint of cocoa. It’s a very comforting tea, and the maltiness is not as imposing as Golden Snail—it feels a bit fresher and more delicate. I can see this becoming one of my all-time favorites, especially in autumn and winter.

Fjellrev

Both this and Golden Snail sound awesome.

Mikumofu

They are both lovely! This sample ran out too soon ;)

Fjellrev

Aww, always wish the samples you end up falling in love with were bigger. :)

Sipdown. 8oz, 3,5 and 8 min.
Overleafed and under watered the first cup so it was strong and slightly tannic. Fixed the later steeps with more water.
Malt, cocoa, sweet. Solid black tea

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt, Sweet, Tannic

This definitely gets better as it starts to cool down! Initially i couldn’t taste any of the chocolate notes everyone keeps mentioning but then suddenly, around 15 minutes after brewing, BAM, there’s that delicious chocolate note! I brewed this western style as I’m feeling super lazy today (probably because its another day of sorting, cleaning and throwing in preparation for, our now pretty much guaranteed move… the only thing still unconfirmed is where??). The tea has a great creamy mouthfeel, elevated by a splash of milk, and there are some great malt, chocolate and honey notes once the tea has cooled down to just above luke warm…. yum! Glad I have a little more of this stashed away to enjoy.

BREWING STYLE: Western

I will do two reviews of this tea in both Western and Gongfu style. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything necessary for Gongfu-style steeping — gasp — but I do have the standard stuff needed for Western style.

First Infusion — 3 Minutes

What a lovely, woody scent. It reminds me of a wet forest, in a perfectly good way. I’m in love with the scent, and my expectations for the taste were pretty high too. And boy did it live up to those expectations.

The flavors are simply amazing. I must say that this is, so far in my novice tea-tasting, the best I have ever had. It’s creamy and, like the scent, woody. I also taste a bit of a chocolate-y flavor. I am very impressed as a first-time customer of Whispering Pines. There is just this overwhelmingly good flavor I can’t describe. It’s slightly flowery, woody, mossy, chocolate-y. Very creamy, silky feel. This tea is not bitter or astringent at all.

Overall: Silky, creamy feeling with an intense and complex flavor, which I may or may not think for being a novice. Chocolate hints and sweet notes, but also very woody and flowery. Very impressed.

Second Infusion — Five Minutes

The scent is similar to the first infusion, though it somehow leaves a cooling sensation in my throat. I was intensely curious about how the flavor would change, but I was feeling slightly full from the first 8oz of water.

The tea takes on a more subtle flavor, reminding me more of malt this time around. Slightly milky too, and just as creamy. It’s not as pleasurable as the first infusion, but it is definitely tasty and palatable, very good. More of a tea flavor this time too.

Overall: Still silky, creamy, with a more subdued flavor that is slightly malty and milky but not quite as pleasurable, for me anyway, as the first infusion.

I was too full to do a third infusion, though! I’d love to have tried it again, but my stomach wasn’t cooperating nearing the end of the second cup. However, I’d have to say that this was an awesome experience and a very good first buy from Whispering Pines. I will definitely be a returning customer.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Milk, Moss, Tea, Walnut, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea has it all. The dry leaf is fuzzy, soft, and velvet. A smooth milk chocolate aroma and spring scent filled my tea room upon opening the package. The long black and gold strands carry such an aesthetic appearance. I placed a generous amount in my warmed gaiwan and gave it a shake. The aroma burst from the vessel, and I didn’t even lift the lid. My session was filled with sweet and malt scents. This brew, I knew would be a treat. I love the aromas of a good tea. The sweet diverse scents enhance a tea session drastically. I took a minute to sniff the lid and devour these sensations. I was catching drifts of honey, cocoa, and a dark smooth milky malt. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The leaf instantly bronzed and softened. The aromas went into more rigid and malt. I was catching soft wood tones mixed with a barley aroma. The liquor was dark. This was a blood ruby dark drink. The liquid itself emitted a tantalizing scent. This session was focused on the tastes in the air. Although, I knew I had to delve into my cup. The flavor was incredible. The brew was thick, sweet, and incredibly smooth. I could taste a rich chocolate with a light floral tone. This had a creamy malt aftertaste. This brew fills the throat and gives a hearty depth of taste. The liquor became darker with each steeping. I brewed this heavy, and I am so glad that I did. The steeped leaves were beautiful. I could spot a continuous ocean of whole small tippy leaves inside my gaiwan. I was impressed. This is a prime Yunnan red tea. I loved this session. The brew lasted well into a great many steeping sessions. I could smell the sweet malt and light wildflowers long after brewing. This is a lovely brew. I am ever grateful for being able to try this.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Creamy, Dark Wood, Flowers, Malt, Milk