2014 Huron Te Ji Shou Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Mineral, Clay, Cocoa, Earth, Forest Floor, Mushrooms, Smooth, Drying, Red Wine, Wet Moss, Wet Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 oz / 100 ml

• “Gongfu brewed in my shiboridashi. The Huron Te Ji is the strongest shou puerh that I have encountered from Whispering Pines to date in a good way but still in the light medium range of how shou...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 258 tasting notes
  • “Puerh Noob reporting in. I’ve been feeling guilty that I haven’t been reviewing much even though I drink pu every day. But I came to the realization that most of my puerh drinking is...” Read full tasting note
    azurephoenix 14 tasting notes
  • “This tea could not be better than it is right now. It’s a warm (30 degrees) windy winter day here in Minnesota. I warmed up a cup I had made of this a few days ago before I ventured out for a...” Read full tasting note
    J23456 98 tasting notes
  • “I let this set for quite awhile to decompress from its journey, and tonight it is ready to be drunk! I opened my jar, and I was greeted with a wonderful aroma. The dry leaf give off a sweet...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 455 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Spring 2014 Harvest Te Ji grade loose pu-erh from Menghai area. More info and release coming sometime in the future :)

Tested clean, not a trace of pesticides!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Gongfu brewed in my shiboridashi. The Huron Te Ji is the strongest shou puerh that I have encountered from Whispering Pines to date in a good way but still in the light medium range of how shou goes. Huron Te Ji has a sweeter mellow taste that is more of a clean mineral taste than earthy. I am looking forward to trying this again in cake form when they get released as I think the cake versions generally taste better than the loose leaf.

Boiling
Whispering Pines Tea Company

This one is a huge favorite of mine in cake form :-)

Puerh Noob reporting in. I’ve been feeling guilty that I haven’t been reviewing much even though I drink pu every day. But I came to the realization that most of my puerh drinking is in conjuction with eating… and that’s just not conducive to fair reviews. So I’m forgiving myself.

I got this sample with my order and I’m glad I did. This is my second taste of a Whispering Pines ripe. This is my second session with this sample.. the first was a few nights ago with dinner. :P 4 grams/1 cup, 1 quick rinse.

1st steep – Liquor is thin but smoothish. The taste for me is very minerally almost salty but not? Hard to describe… its not in my face woody or earthy.. the descriptions mention of merlot carries thru to the feeling and the sensation is dry and forward on the tongue, with a mouth watering feeling . As the liquor cools a slight nuttiness comes through. Cha qi is mild.

2nd steep – Liquor gets a little silkier, but it’s still thin.. The minerally flavor backs down which makes me really happy. I drink this faster than the first cup and suddenly I’m definitely feeling the cha qi. Yay! :)

3rd steep – Minerally backs off more, that front of tongue feeling is still solidly present. Flavor is something like very dry wood, which makes me think of paper bags? (sorry WPT)

There are more steeps to the leaves so I’ll continue drinking, but I’m getting tired of reviewing. :P Heheheh.

My Pu Journey:
This sample helped me confirm that I hate the combo taste of sweet/minerally ripe pu’s.. but if it’s just minerally, then I’m okay with it, but not necessarily a big fan. Overall I think this is very drinkable and I’ve just put in an order for an ounce. Right now I like this better than the sweeter 2013 Ontario 1357 (which I’ve only had one session with.)

Flavors: Mineral

Liquid Proust

Good notes! No need to be sorry, always report what you can describe a taste as. Some people say ‘old sock’ as a flavor :P WP has some rather solid shou so you’re in good hands there.

This tea could not be better than it is right now. It’s a warm (30 degrees) windy winter day here in Minnesota. I warmed up a cup I had made of this a few days ago before I ventured out for a walk after listening to some Bear’s Den music.

I came home, ate a piece of ma’s meatloaf, sat down, and drank this divine liquid. I love it when food pairs with tea. I sat in the rocker for about 30 minutes just listening to the dance of the air and snow particles.

This tea has notes of cocoa and minerals. It is sweet and earthy.

I’ll be honest. I can’t drink shou everyday. It’s like chocolate cake to me. I can have it once or twice a week. It’s rich and is a lot to take in.

I’ll enjoy the last 8 ounces of this while listening to Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons. Simply having a beautiful moment right now. Super grateful. Thank you for this sample, Brenden!

Flavors: Clay, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral

I let this set for quite awhile to decompress from its journey, and tonight it is ready to be drunk! I opened my jar, and I was greeted with a wonderful aroma. The dry leaf give off a sweet fermentation scent mixed with red clay. Also, there is a sweet undertone present. This is a very strong aroma. I placed a good amount in my warmed gaiwan and gave it a shake. The dampened leaves gave off the same intense sweet fermentation scent, and it mixed with a desert rain aroma. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The scent deepens into a wet wood and lake scent. The aroma reminded me of a walk through the forest after a storm. The brew gives an amazing mouth-feel. The liquor is thick and crimson red. The initial sip fills the palate with dry earth tones and sweet dark flavor. This brew is deep, hearty, and full of flavor. I can note a Merlot taste and feeling. There is a slight fermentation flavor present in the brew. Also, a drying sensation coats the back of the tongue throughout the session. This drink is filled with savory tones. The brew is one that you can drink all night (almost did) and keep re-packing the gaiwan. I was able to pull about 8 or so steeping sessions from my gaiwan. The drink continued a dark crimson. The best part of this is the qi. It’s not overwhelmingly powerful, but it makes its prescience known. It begins at the top of the head, and then it appears at heart center. It’s a slight warming sensation. Then, it grows into a resonating warmth that expands from the chest. This sensation follows throughout and long after the tea session. It continues to radiate from the chest and relaxes and soothes the body. I really enjoyed this brew. This is a well balanced and savory tea.

Flavors: Clay, Drying, Earth, Red Wine, Smooth, Wet Moss, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
TheTeaFairy

I’m also a fan of this one…tastes so clean!

Haveteawilltravel

one of my favs from the shou collection