2007 Yexiangwang Naka

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cody

• “The cake has a tight compression and a light, sweet aroma. The first steep begins light to medium in strength, but the body feels full and seems to foreshadow the strength in the upcoming infusions...” Read full tasting note
    Cody 64 tasting notes
  • “You've got to enjoy this wrapper! Also known as The Wild Elephant King cake, this is a blend of Naka and Bulang material. At the price I paid, it was a great bargain purchase given the high...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 302 tasting notes
  • “I bought this Sheng after much scientific research. I love Asian Elephants, this tea is named Yexiangwang [Wild Elephant King] and it has an Asian Elephant on the wrapper so I bought it. Okay,...” Read full tasting note
    swapilot 104 tasting notes

From White 2 Tea

This Yexiangwang [Wild Elephant King] raw puer tea cake is a tiepai [pasted brand] and is mislabeled. The wrappers are stamped April 2006, but the tea is actually not from 2006, it is from 2007. The blend is made with material from Naka mountain. It has a smoothness and strength that we find very enjoyable.

About White 2 Tea View company

The cake has a tight compression and a light, sweet aroma. The first steep begins light to medium in strength, but the body feels full and seems to foreshadow the strength in the upcoming infusions of thick, dark orange soup. The flavors tend toward the fruity spectrum and are mostly simple in style, while the body is malty and full of “dark” sweetness, thick and ripe like prunes. Later, more smoky and woody notes climb in, and create a very balanced complexity.

The soup begins slowly and softly with a thick mouthfeel, introducing basic sweet and salty aspects. It develops into a long and waxing complexity across a second or two duration, where the flavors mentioned above begin to grow and amass one after the other. At this point, a throaty kuwei slowly emerges. It is, like the other aspects of this tea, deep. The bitterness isn’t sharp and is more “felt” than tasted. There are some drying effects towards the front of the mouth, but the throat remains moist. It reaches a medium to strong intensity as far as flavors go, before fading slowly to a stable finish that doubles as a long-lasting aftertaste. I found this to be a very interesting quality with this tea, as I usually find the sip’s finish fades before a complimentary, yet distinct aftertaste (with a slightly different flavor) emerges after the swallow. With this shengpu, the soup’s form descends to a stable and subtle intensity that simply “sticks,” lingering for quite some time. Finally, seconds after the swallow, a coolness begins to develop that intensifies as the session progresses. After the second steep, my body is calmed and warmed to the point of sweating, causing my neck and ears to become flushed.

Overall I am really pleased with this one and impatiently await the effects of a bit of age on it. The tea presents an interesting textural experience, but is not without intrigue in the flavor department. Plus, it has an elephant on the wrapper, which adds just a touch more awesomeness to it.

Boiling

You’ve got to enjoy this wrapper! Also known as The Wild Elephant King cake, this is a blend of Naka and Bulang material. At the price I paid, it was a great bargain purchase given the high quality. The visual appeal of the cake is acceptable, not beautiful by any means, but pleasant looking. The level of compression makes it fairly easy to pick apart and produce a mixture of whole leaves and pieces. The dry leaf offers a pleasant smell which became sweeter as the leaves steeped. The liquor is dark brass in color. The sip conveys what I would term power with a definite sweetness – clean, strong and smooth with a very nice cooling effect. The activity in the mouth is strong and clean offering a swelling sensation with nice huigan. The leaf has good endurance and remained strong and flavorful through ten resteeps. At the end of the tea session I was left in a very thoughtful meditative state which persisted for about two hours.
Purchased from White2Tea in June for $34.50 (quite a bargain). Unfortunately the current price is $115 (a true indication of the escalating price of Naka tea products during the past 12-18 months).

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

that Naka :)
This tea sounds really good

oh my god. I would kill for this, based on the elephant alone…

DigniTea

Sil – I agree with you. That’s what caught my eye anyway and at the time I bought it, there were really no Steepster notes (only one very old one from someone I did not know) but the low price for an “aged” cake and I trust Paul so I added it to an order of YiWu teas. Now I am glad I did it.

Boychik – yes Naka teas are very interesting. I am trying to round out my puerh collection with teas representing different tea growing areas and this week and next I hope to taste from Naka, Mengsong, and Hekai. I think they are each special in their own way.

mrmopar

I think I need to explore Naka a bit.I have some Mengsong fro mDayi and some Hekai from White2tea I looked at that cake a while back also. I got to learn to buy faster..

Cwyn

Is this the cake that is a Naka/Bulang blend?

DigniTea

Cwyn – yes it is.

mrmopar

I may have to talk someone out of a sample of this. That blend sounds good as I know I like Bulang already.

I bought this Sheng after much scientific research. I love Asian Elephants, this tea is named Yexiangwang [Wild Elephant King] and it has an Asian Elephant on the wrapper so I bought it. Okay, enough of my scientific methods. The soup is a very light bronze color. The first steeping had me puzzled. The taste was a earthy, leafy, grassy, smokey mix (or, I really wasn’t sure what I was tasting). There was just a hint of kuwei and astringency that were not present in subsequent steepings. When I first tasted the second steeping I knew what the flavor was. To me it is a smokey tobacco flavor that is very mellow and pleasing to the tongue. I really liked the consistency of this tea. Steepings two through seven tasted the same. This is a great Sheng but if you don’t like teas with a heavy tobacco flavor then this tea may not be for you.