2014 White2Tea Manzhuan

Pu-erh Tea
Apricot, Leather, Oak wood, Peppercorn, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by SWApilot

• “A sample from "Pug". Very soft and gentle, not much in the flavor profile to exclaim. A starter sheng for sure for those not used to pu erh. The leaf material was of good quality and the...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 88 tasting notes
  • “Quite soft, sweet, and floral, as far as young shengs go. But it is still a sheng, and thus carries the seemingly-obligatory taste of dirty work pants. The best sheng I’ve had to date, but...” Read full tasting note
    sherubtse 88 tasting notes
  • “7g used. Very loose compression. 3s – Strong. Bright flavour on a dark base, which isn’t green. The bright flavour is interesting in that it lingers on with a honey sweetness. Fruity,...” Read full tasting note
    tea123 58 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this “gentle” tea built upon Manzhuan material found in the broader YiWu area. Softer and definitely less aggressive taste with a pleasant rather sweet lingering aftertaste. I always...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 254 tasting notes

From White 2 Tea

Product description not available yet.

About White 2 Tea View company

A sample from “Pug”. Very soft and gentle, not much in the flavor profile to exclaim. A starter sheng for sure for those not used to pu erh. The leaf material was of good quality and the spent leaves were still strong.

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Quite soft, sweet, and floral, as far as young shengs go. But it is still a sheng, and thus carries the seemingly-obligatory taste of dirty work pants. The best sheng I’ve had to date, but still awful.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

7g used.

Very loose compression.

3s – Strong. Bright flavour on a dark base, which isn’t green. The bright flavour is interesting in that it lingers on with a honey sweetness. Fruity, plums, hints of fresh basil. Faint smoke.

5s – Stronger. High mountain Oolong (Dayuling) in the background. Bitterness, astringent. Green flavour sweetness has honey and high mountain Oolong flavour.

7s – Pleasant, warming.

?s – No notes.

12s – Lost most of the flavour, milky, going bland. Just bitter, strong high mountain Oolong now.

This tea has disappointed me in only lasting four – five brews; it has done this twice.

7 tsp 3 OZ / 100 ML

Revisiting this “gentle” tea built upon Manzhuan material found in the broader YiWu area. Softer and definitely less aggressive taste with a pleasant rather sweet lingering aftertaste. I always enjoy drinking it on a low-key day. Nice big leaves which have remained in-tact in the loosely compressed cake. Golden yellow tea soup with a sip that is not at all bitter and tastes of light stonefruit. The tea becomes a little sweeter with successive brews but it is never “powerfully” sweet. Not an earthy tea but should be considered a sweet tea carefully processed with high quality whole tea leaves.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

I like this one.

DigniTea

Yep – a comforting tea! Besides, quality material always wins out with me.

Cwyn

I’ve just broken this one up, what is left of it recently, since my cake was starting to fall apart. I have it in my Lin’s Ceramic jar. It is all the more precious now since white2tea didn’t do another production of it this year.

I really, really, really, really loved this sheng. I can’t EVEN believe this is 2014 tea. It does not taste like baby sheng at ALL (and I

Sarsonator

I’m excited to try it, but I’m glad we already ordered! HA! Now I cannot be tempted too much :)

MzPriss

Nope. I want it, but not as much as other things.

TheTeaFairy

Lol at baby sheng ;-)

Terri HarpLady

and now it looks like the yellow mark is no longer available…

MzPriss

Wow they only had ONE cake of that? We bought one to share. I will send you some when I get it Terri.

Sarsonator

Are you looking at this one, Terri? It doesn’t show out of stock yet.

Terri HarpLady

cool! I opened their webpage on my iPad earlier & it wasn’t listed.
Thanks! :)

Cheri

This sounds really good. More disposable income…we can dream, right?

I was not gonna buy this cake, got a lovely sample with a recent, and obscenely large order. Really. I don’t need any more tea. Right??!!

Brewed up the sample. Talk about lovely leaves. I am assuming this is actual 2014 material, I am certain it is based on TwoDog’s blog. The good chunk of cake I got is gorgeous, and doesn’t disappoint in my Yixing, full of buds and also firm stems which is a sign of old tree. I brewed up about 7 grams, didn’t fill my pot but also used less water than my small pot holds since this is a sample. Two rinses, mainly to break up the leaves.

Spicy on the throat at the first 20 sec steep, but then, apricots in the smell and taste. Second steep I am feeling the heat in my back already. Fourth steep now I am getting a smoky leather taste, amazing since there is little to no age on this yet. I can taste the old tree difference, this doesn’t taste like green tea at all like another sheng would this young.

Astonishing tea…I mean it…say hello and good night to my wallet. The other reviewer is right, we only live once, and I am about 50. I need to drink my shengs now or never. My future unborn great grandchildren are screaming nooooo as my cash heads out the door, but I am in for a cake of this, small tho the cakes are at 250g. Bravo to White2tea…

Flavors: Apricot, Leather, Oak wood, Peppercorn, Smoke

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Roughage

I have half a dozen samples from White2Tea. Over the past few days TwoDog’s teas keep jumping out at me off the internet. I have been trying to get through older samples first, but you people are driving me to distraction, because I want to try all his teas that I have samples of right now, at the same time! :)

Cwyn

I am in the same situation, got new cakes and read a tasting note from someone else, which got me going. And then this tea was reviewed on teadb.org. It is fun to try teas at the same time as everyone else, and like you I have other teas I should be drinking, like my spring teas!

Roughage

Yes, Hobbes’ recent blog post on White2tea’s White Whale has me craving that one. I can’t wait to try it. I should set a rota for trying all the teas that I have samples of and stick to it. I am not buying new tea at the moment, but I could maybe reward myself for sticking to the rota with some more samples on the basis of a percentage of the sampled teas.

mrmopar

I may break out the White Whale soon.

Cwyn

Looks like I might have tickets to White2tea’s tasting coming up this week in Wisconsin. This Manzhuan is on the menu, looking forward to hopefully grabbing those last two tickets and meet TwoDog in person!

mrmopar

Tell him you want biscuits and gravy from Big Spring Mill flour and see what kind of look you will get. Then tell him you know me and you both will get a laugh. Hope you are fortunate enough to attend.

It is no secret that I love young Sheng pu’er. This tea really intrigued me when I saw it on the White 2 Tea website, Sheng pu’er and honey are my two favorite things. However, at $122.50 for 200g the price was a little too steep (no pun intended) for me. Then that little voice in me started bugging me and told me you only live once. I will let Paul’s words describe this tea: “Pure ancient arbor Spring gushu tea from Manzhuan. One of the six famous tea mountains, Manzhuan has a long history of puer production. This raw puer is soft and supple with a taste of honey and sweetness.” You only live once and right now my taste buds are living very large on cloud nine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML