2007 White2Tea Repave

Tea
Campfire, Smoke, Sweet, Wood, Black Currant, Jam, Smooth, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Apricot, Dust, Plums, Earth, Rum, Floral, Tangy, Tobacco, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

• “If there was ever a sheng to finally convert me, it would be this one. This is pretty amazing tea and I ended up drinking a half gallon worth XD It’s a nice amber color and feels very...” Read full tasting note
    kieblera5 103 tasting notes
  • “Spent the day with this one – a great selection using fine material from the Hekai tea producing area. Fragrant dry leaves which produce a clear tea soup – dark bronze in color moving...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 236 tasting notes
  • “This morning I am enjoying this sample that I got from a Steepster friend, thank you friend! At about 10 seconds of steeping time, the first two steeps are pretty strong. It is a potent tea with...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2727 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: A really smooth, lovely, mellow pu-erh. A sweetness that is somewhere between molasses and a buttery caramel. Only a very slight earthiness which I really appreciated. Really very...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4825 tasting notes

From White 2 Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White 2 Tea View company

If there was ever a sheng to finally convert me, it would be this one. This is pretty amazing tea and I ended up drinking a half gallon worth XD It’s a nice amber color and feels very “full” in the mouth. It’s a nice woodsy, sweet brew and smells like a campfire. It’s slightly smoky and all delicious. Hands down the best puerh I’ve had so far.

Flavors: Campfire, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Spent the day with this one – a great selection using fine material from the Hekai tea producing area. Fragrant dry leaves which produce a clear tea soup – dark bronze in color moving toward orange. Thick syrupy mouthfeel with an appealing blend of tobacco, wood, citrus and molasses flavors. This is a rather interesting flavor profile which is noticeably smooth and mellow. All in all this is a great full-bodied, complex sheng and it holds up nicely for many enjoyable infusions. Today I steeped at 195 degrees but I think I’ll push the temperature to 205 degrees when I go back to these leaves tomorrow.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

At about 10 seconds of steeping time, the first two steeps are pretty strong. It is a potent tea with woodsy flavors, a nice fruitiness and quite a bit of bitterness in the finish. It has a bit of smoky aroma, but not too much smoke in the flavor.

I decided to lower the water temp for steeps #3 and #4 to about 200 f. I feel that the bitter and tobacco notes have taken over this one to the point where I don’t really feel like drinking it. Not sure if it’s just the mood I am in or the tea itself, but I think I will try this again on another day, it’s making my stomach hurt a bit even though I already ate breakfast. Such is the dilemma with sheng… but it seems that overall some of the other tasters enjoyed this more than I did.

Backlog:

Really very pleasant and sweet.

Read my full-length review with details about the many infusions here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2015/01/05/2007-white2tea-repave-pu-erh-tea-from-white-two-tea/

I drank this tea all morning. Thanks for the sample Marzipan!

I found it to have smooth mildness like an aged sheng, but with a little bitter punchiness like a younger sheng. Perplexing! Best of both worlds? Perhaps :)

I am going to be broke(Paul take all my money)

*Soapbox
I am literally upset I did not find this site earlier. Paul has consistently good tea and honest descriptions with accurate tasting notes. Best of all you get what you pay for which leads me to this tea. I dare you to find a better tea at this price range, it is not the most complex, ethereal elixir of the gods but if you drink enough puer where you go through a few cakes-tong a year this can easily get my vote for staple. I don’t trust myself to store puer yet being in a very dry climate and my rather experimental 75% RH pack semi- sealed storage. Otherwise I would definitely purchase a bunch of this stuff and happily drink there the mountain of samples I have to keep me happy for the a long while.

*Tasting notes
A common theme of this tea seems to be me casually brewing this hungover sunday mornings so I don’t dare to claim to know it but I have picked up on a few consistent pleasant features. First off it steeps better with more leaf/water ratio (usually I go g/15mL of water as a starting point) but with this one closer to g/12-13 mL with good results. I consistently got a sweet taste and a nice slow pouring viscosity the oil present are hinted at the stained cake wrapper. Not as thick as a bu lang but much thicker than say most autumn harvests. The taste was not bitter at all but if you pushed the steeping time it got a little smokey which may or may not be your thing. Very versatile as the just nice sweetness and no smoke is not present if you flash brew. I was not able to taste any fruitiness as I have in the past but my taste buds are fried and it was more casual chug then a slow concentrated “gong fu” session.

A nice middle of the road versatile daily drinker that is priced perfectly and very approachable sweetness that is hard to offend most taste buds. Not super complex, I would say fairly one-note but then again I don’t want to have to concentrate/focus to enjoy some teas.

Flavors: Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
mrmopar

He is taking money from us all. But it’s a good trade off.

Jiāng Luo

Indeed bittersweet, very glad I found his site but I am literally spending a fortune because his consistent quality and prices

mrmopar

+1 agreed with you. Wish I had a bit more to spend there.

Jiāng Luo

I think I will make one more big order this week and cut myself off puer wise for the year

Cwyn

Paul is indeed a tea pimp for this here tea whore.

Jiāng Luo

After literally spending hundreds sampling at yunnan sourcing I have maybe found one tea I liked that wasn’t +$150 and it was sold out at the time and now that it is restocked guess what price it goes for…… +$100. With pauls teas you get what you pay for and I have not had one tea of his that I didn’t like, some I wouldn’t buy but gladly drink

7g used.

5s – Aroma is light herbal on top of earthiness. Flavour is mild. It has a syrupy consistency with a soft finish. Tasted lightly of sweet dark fruits (dried apricots) . Not complex.

10s – Stronger. Slightly punchy. The flavour comes, then it goes. It is pleasant, soft and has a raison like fruitiness. The flavour profile is linear but it does have a short burst of flavour, but this disappears promptly.

15s – Aroma is thick herbal dustiness. The high notes have arrived; however, they do not sit upon a particularly dark base so they do dominate and they do give it a much longer ‘ringing’, sweet finish.

20s – Aroma is steamy dust mainly; herbalness in the background. The high notes are still there, this time accompanied by drying and sweetness. Sweet fruits, plummy sweetness. This is a mellow, not complex, but pleasantly fruity tea.

Flavors: Apricot, Dust, Plums

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This was a potent tea! A small amount of leaves really carried a lot of flavor, and brought a small amount of nice bitterness. The flavor was one that was very new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed to have a very satisfying element to it. Maybe that was just because Ive haven’t had too much Pu Erh in the last month… I also found it incredibly intoxicating, sinking me deep into the chair. My mind was buzzing and very relaxed. The color of the liquor was also a beautiful golden color like a brandy or whisky.

Flavors: Earth, Rum, Smoke, Smooth

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 120 OZ / 3548 ML

oh. hello good tea!

I’m drinking this tea as I write, so beware the tea-drunkness. The foil sealed bags worked perfectly as when I opened the packet, I was greeted by a plethora of aromas. fruity sweet cherries, a faint menthol, and a sweet tobacco. Reminds me of an experiment I did in my undergrad where we transformed Tobacco plants with TMV. When we infected the plants you had to damage the leaves, and that fresh green scent is definitely present in this tea.

Makes me wonder what tobacco blossoms smell like!

The taste is subtle, but sweet, full bodied, and not over-powering. I could see this being an excellent tea in the future. There is a faint bitterness, but I’m not brewing this in the traditional method so all I can really say is that I am enjoying it, and looking forward to the second and third brews of this tea!

New Rating
Price 81.25
Representation 77
Taste 82

80.1 (old ranking 82)

Cwyn

I have a cologne called Tobacco Flowers by Fresh. I have a bit more than half a bottle left, went online to buy more but it is no longer being made. And a more late version of the bottle is going for $200. Maybe I should sell what I’ve got left!

Dry – Bitter-tobacco/wood notes, bittersweet floral notes
Wet – Bitter-tobacco/wood notes, bitter floral, bittersweet fruit and hints of sweetness and tangy notes.
Liquor – Amber to copper.
Gongfu in Porcelain lined Yixing Gaiwan 130ml

The first two steeps had a savory front with tangy and bittersweet floral notes over the gentle tobacco background. As it washed down if feels smooth and has an almost oily texture that coats the tongue with mellow bitter floral notes and faint smoke.

Following steeps are more open and forward but continue to be mellow in character. The front is savory with smoky, bitter-wood/tobacco notes adn floral bitter-sweetness. As it goes down, it continues to coat the tongue with a lightly oily texture that feel smooth, but has a more apparent bitter-tobacco/wood and floral notes, that although more apparent are still somehow gentle.

Later steeps (past 8th-10th) are more faded, but still echo the characteristics of this tea. Most of the notes are cumulative so the tobacco and floral notes and faint smoke linger in the back of the tongue and throat. The huigan is fairly fast yet mellow in taste. Cha qi is present as a warming sentation.

A nice tea, I insist that this to me echos a very gentle Xiaguan or what a Xiaguan/Yiwu blend would taste like in my mind.

Flavors: Floral, Sweet, Tangy, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
mrmopar

I liked this one pretty well.

JC

it is pretty good. Gentler than I anticipated it would be.