2007 White2Tea Repave

Pu-erh Tea
Campfire, Smooth, Tobacco, Wood, Smoke, Sweet, Black Currant, Jam, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Apricot, Dust, Plums, Earth, Rum, Floral, Tangy, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

3 Images

From White 2 Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White 2 Tea View company

Had this late last night – I should have had it earlier in the day because I went to sleep far later than I wanted to.

~6g of dried leaf in my gaiwan, 5 second rinse with 90C water, and successive steeps of ~5s each. The taste and colour were both very consistent from steep to steep. The tea was generally a very nice clear amber colour, and the tea was consistently smoky. No bitterness or astringency.

However, I find that when I drink shengs, I am not a huge fan of smoky flavours. I can see why others here enjoy it, but this tea was lost on me. I prefer apricot/grass/leaf flavours instead.

“Holy shit”
That’s what I’m saying after the 10th steep of this… I’m not saying that because it’s the best, because interestingly I have had better, but because this has to be the highest quality sheng I have ever seen. Of course the 2012 Wild Monk from Mandela is the best sheng I’ve had (that tea stole my heart), but as for quality… this one takes it. The picture on W2T’s website of the steeped leaf is exactly what this is. The leaf is 85% + in tact and it looks wonderful.

The taste is clean with a mild umph to each sip. I think the last 8 years slapped the bitterness right out of this tea as it is smooth. The odd part is that during the first 45 minutes of drinking this tea I was eating a chocolate pie with caramel all over it and this didn’t taste nasty… nor is it sweet, it just seems to be fantastic so it doesn’t matter what accompanies it.

I can safely say that Hekai and I are going to become great friends :)

Liquid Proust

Also: For the quality of this tea, it is cheap to average priced! Under $40 for 200g? That’s crazy.

Now this really makes me want to break into my cake.

Hmm, I have a sample of this. Maybe I should try it out tonight.

Today’s tea! 5g in the 100ml gaiwan, 2 rinses (maybe 10-15sec each) and then steeps of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20, 20, etc… I started with boiling water but am experimenting with letting it cool down a bit since I’m finding this a bit punchy.

This is a really aromatic tea – you get a lot of interesting scents off the gaiwan lid: old books, tobacco, a bit of smoke. The slightly musty, old books flavour is fading as I progress through the steeps, leaving more sweetness, bitterness, maybe a bit of stewed dried fruit. It does have a slightly viscous quality, coating the mouth and throat, and leaving behind quite a bit of that dry astringent feeling. Lower temperature steeps are smoother and sweeter. It feels warm in the stomach, and it’s kind of making me feel both more alert and sleepy at the same time which makes no sense.

This is good, but I’m finding it to have a bit more bitterness/astringency than I really want. Not enough to make me stop drinking it, mind you. ;) I think next time I’ll either steep with cooler water, or much shorter steeping times, or both.

I’m gonna break this down into the first three steepings, I did a quick rinse before the first steep.

First steep 5s: This tea was campfire-y with a smooth/sweet finish, there might be some slight mineral notes in this steep but I’m not entirely sure.

Second steep 10-ish-s: Ok so I fumbled the kettle this time so I’m not sure if it was actually 10 or I went over. Either way, the campfire smokey taste is stronger than ever, but while still pretty smooth there’s a bitter edge near the end. I also am starting to detect some wood taste too.

Third steep 15s: The smell of this steep is the most smokey, but the taste has died down a bit from the second steep. I can taste wood notes much better now, and it’s back to being not-bitter and completely smooth. Also starting to taste a bit of tobacco at this point.

Overall I really enjoy this tea, I liked it decently when I got it and it’s only grown on me over time.

Flavors: Campfire, Smooth, Tobacco, Wood

185 °F / 85 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

If there was ever a sheng to finally convert me, it would be this one. This is pretty amazing tea and I ended up drinking a half gallon worth XD It’s a nice amber color and feels very “full” in the mouth. It’s a nice woodsy, sweet brew and smells like a campfire. It’s slightly smoky and all delicious. Hands down the best puerh I’ve had so far.

Flavors: Campfire, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Spent the day with this one – a great selection using fine material from the Hekai tea producing area. Fragrant dry leaves which produce a clear tea soup – dark bronze in color moving toward orange. Thick syrupy mouthfeel with an appealing blend of tobacco, wood, citrus and molasses flavors. This is a rather interesting flavor profile which is noticeably smooth and mellow. All in all this is a great full-bodied, complex sheng and it holds up nicely for many enjoyable infusions. Today I steeped at 195 degrees but I think I’ll push the temperature to 205 degrees when I go back to these leaves tomorrow.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

I love the Repave. I’m glad it came back.

This morning I am enjoying this sample that I got from a Steepster friend, thank you friend!

At about 10 seconds of steeping time, the first two steeps are pretty strong. It is a potent tea with woodsy flavors, a nice fruitiness and quite a bit of bitterness in the finish. It has a bit of smoky aroma, but not too much smoke in the flavor.

I decided to lower the water temp for steeps #3 and #4 to about 200 f. I feel that the bitter and tobacco notes have taken over this one to the point where I don’t really feel like drinking it. Not sure if it’s just the mood I am in or the tea itself, but I think I will try this again on another day, it’s making my stomach hurt a bit even though I already ate breakfast. Such is the dilemma with sheng… but it seems that overall some of the other tasters enjoyed this more than I did.

A really smooth, lovely, mellow pu-erh. A sweetness that is somewhere between molasses and a buttery caramel. Only a very slight earthiness which I really appreciated.

Really very pleasant and sweet.

Read my full-length review with details about the many infusions here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2015/01/05/2007-white2tea-repave-pu-erh-tea-from-white-two-tea/

I drank this tea all morning. Thanks for the sample Marzipan!

I found it to have smooth mildness like an aged sheng, but with a little bitter punchiness like a younger sheng. Perplexing! Best of both worlds? Perhaps :)

I am going to be broke(Paul take all my money)

I am literally upset I did not find this site earlier. Paul has consistently good tea and honest descriptions with accurate tasting notes. Best of all you get what you pay for which leads me to this tea. I dare you to find a better tea at this price range, it is not the most complex, ethereal elixir of the gods but if you drink enough puer where you go through a few cakes-tong a year this can easily get my vote for staple. I don’t trust myself to store puer yet being in a very dry climate and my rather experimental 75% RH pack semi- sealed storage. Otherwise I would definitely purchase a bunch of this stuff and happily drink there the mountain of samples I have to keep me happy for the a long while.

*Tasting notes
A common theme of this tea seems to be me casually brewing this hungover sunday mornings so I don’t dare to claim to know it but I have picked up on a few consistent pleasant features. First off it steeps better with more leaf/water ratio (usually I go g/15mL of water as a starting point) but with this one closer to g/12-13 mL with good results. I consistently got a sweet taste and a nice slow pouring viscosity the oil present are hinted at the stained cake wrapper. Not as thick as a bu lang but much thicker than say most autumn harvests. The taste was not bitter at all but if you pushed the steeping time it got a little smokey which may or may not be your thing. Very versatile as the just nice sweetness and no smoke is not present if you flash brew. I was not able to taste any fruitiness as I have in the past but my taste buds are fried and it was more casual chug then a slow concentrated “gong fu” session.

A nice middle of the road versatile daily drinker that is priced perfectly and very approachable sweetness that is hard to offend most taste buds. Not super complex, I would say fairly one-note but then again I don’t want to have to concentrate/focus to enjoy some teas.

Flavors: Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

He is taking money from us all. But it’s a good trade off.

Jiāng Luo

Indeed bittersweet, very glad I found his site but I am literally spending a fortune because his consistent quality and prices

+1 agreed with you. Wish I had a bit more to spend there.

Jiāng Luo

I think I will make one more big order this week and cut myself off puer wise for the year

Paul is indeed a tea pimp for this here tea whore.

Jiāng Luo

After literally spending hundreds sampling at yunnan sourcing I have maybe found one tea I liked that wasn’t +$150 and it was sold out at the time and now that it is restocked guess what price it goes for…… +$100. With pauls teas you get what you pay for and I have not had one tea of his that I didn’t like, some I wouldn’t buy but gladly drink

following you to ask a puerh question!