2015 Brown Sugar Ripe Puerh

Pu-erh Tea
Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Molasses, Honey, Sweet, Thick, Wood, Tobacco, Bitter, Moss, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Dried Fruit, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by AJ

• “Thick, smooth, semi-earthy, & creamy. The liquor is dark. I can drink this for a long while. Currently working through my 15th infusion, with longer steeping times (90-120s for the meantime)....” Read full tasting note
    Rufus 187 tasting notes
  • “Opens up a bit thin, a light neon pink-ish orange. I didn’t bother breaking up the compressed chunk I got as a sample from my teafriend, though, so it did take a while to loosen up. Once...” Read full tasting note
    nishnek 83 tasting notes
  • “My first shou in a while – I think I picked a good one! Good shou is good – I’ve had enough bad shou for a lifetime I believe. This one had almost no dampness in the aroma or...” Read full tasting note
    Matu 312 tasting notes
  • “Shiboridashi brewed gongfu style. The main things that stand out is that it is smooth enough to have a thicker feel in your mouth. The tea is also on the sweet side (for a shou) that goes along...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 257 tasting notes

From White 2 Tea

Ripe Puer Tea from White2tea, made using 2012 material, pressed in 2015.

This tea is made from a pile fermented exclusively with top tier huangpian [the largest leaf used in Puer production]. The Brown Sugar brick has Menghai character. The soup is sweet and smooth. It was rested for over two years prior to pressing and is ready to drink now or store for the long term. The material used is of uncommonly high quality. Later steeps are light in color, with a sweet and soft profile.

The fermentation level of this tea was around 65%, which is considered light. Some leaves may even be slightly greenish, and will continue to become darker with further aging.

About White 2 Tea View company

Thick, smooth, semi-earthy, & creamy. The liquor is dark. I can drink this for a long while. Currently working through my 15th infusion, with longer steeping times (90-120s for the meantime). This tea can go on, & on, & on, & on….

Once it’s gotten underway, however, Brown Sugar brews up dark, thick, and oily, with a slick balm feeling. It’s got a bit of sweet upfront flavor and has an interesting hint of molasses aftertaste that is what it’s named for, I’m guessing, but (un)surprisingly, the shou earthiness is the dominant flavor. It very lightly coats the throat over time and leaves a refreshing, cooling sensation by the middle steeps that I can feel in my ears.

My sample seems to have cleared overall, no real funk after the first steep and the long rinse. It does seem to lack depth despite the heavy taste profile, but it’s not unpleasant for it. A good mindless tea as it’s not very bitter and won’t amplify terribly much if you forget about it for a while while brewing. The flavor profile is also pretty upfront and hard to miss, so you can sip or chug without much thought and not miss much.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Molasses

Boiling 9 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

My first shou in a while – I think I picked a good one! Good shou is good – I’ve had enough bad shou for a lifetime I believe. This one had almost no dampness in the aroma or flavor. It was sweet, smooth, and thick, with woody and honey notes. Lasted a good 8 or 9 steeps producing near black liquor before starting to lighten up.

Flavors: Honey, Sweet, Thick, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Shiboridashi brewed gongfu style. The main things that stand out is that it is smooth enough to have a thicker feel in your mouth. The tea is also on the sweet side (for a shou) that goes along nicely with the texture. This is not a casual brewing tea. If you use more casual style brewing it does not come off as that impressive. So your care in brewing is literally the make or break factor for this tea.

Boiling

From a 25g sample. I found this very smooth and a bit sweet. Lots of woody/earthy notes but they blended in and formed more of a background rather than being assertive and upfront. The taste did not change much steeping to steeping but just slowly faded.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I found this to be as good as the hype, however i didn’t find this Pu sweet much so not sure where the sugar comes in, but it’s velvet in the mouth, medium thick teasoup and no off putting anything. a solid every day pu with woody malty cocoa mocha and strong black tea notes, at least for me.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Had some “shavings” left over after breaking some chunks off for a prior tea swap. Was in the mood for some sugah’ and thought this puerh mulch needed to be used and enjoyed instead of picking away at more of the cake. This could easily become a regular. Super smooth, creamy mouthfeel, subtle woodsy earth, semisweet and some nice chillaxing feels.

Just under 11g of chunk mulch, 180ml zini xishi, boiling, quick 10s infusion, 30s rest then 10s increments counting upwards for an unknown amount of infusions since I’m still enjoying it and expect to through out the evening.

The Leaf:

The First Infusion:

The Tea Session:

Update: I managed to get twelve infusions; an awesome session.

The last of the leaf:

Boiling 11 g 180 OZ / 5323 ML

So its been a while since I’ve had a review on here. Too busy with work and other stuff. I wish I could review more. I have time for this one. Thankfully, because it would be a crime not to let other fellow steepsterites just how good this one is, IMHO, of course. It is a very smooth shou. It has pretty much no fermentation to it. I do get some slight tobacco notes towards the finish. Nothing to harsh, don’t get scared by that if that’s not your thing. You may not even be able to tell them if you smoke cigars or anything like that. I feel this tea does better at about 200° instead of boiling. The leaves are bigger than I’m used to seeing in shous. The aroma from it is very nice and easy on the nose. Overall, I am really digging this one. I will definitely be buying this one again. No doubt about it. Gets you some!

Flavors: Tobacco

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

I tried Brown Sugar multiple times and each time, it’s carries too much of a punch. This tea is smooth, but I think it still has a while to go. There’s light notes of sweetness that I think will continue to come out over time.

I did like the quality of leaves this tea had tho.

You can read a full review on my blog – http://coolcodyc.wix.com/theoolongdrunk#!Dont-Get-Cavities-on-Brown-Sugar/c21kp/5721092c0cf269c350f1bc68

Flavors: Bitter, Moss, Sweet, Wood

From the Puerh TTB #4

This may have to be the first shou that I’ve bought in nearly a year. After a quick rinse, I did a 10 s steep. I was distracted when I started to drink and for a moment thought I was drinking sheng. Despite the young age I don’t taste any fermentation flavor (after my review I went to the web site and discovered the tea is from the 2012 harvest and was pressed in 2015, so that makes more sense). It tasted a lot like a sheng that has a few years of age on it. Slightly grassy flavor with some earthiness. 2nd steep: Color more red than orange, and more of a shou aroma. This sheng-like flavor may be because the leaves hadn’t separated in the first two steeps.

The 3rd steep was the next day: Dark red color; really looks like shou now. Smells and tastes like one too. Fair amount of fermentation flavor, some cherry fruit, and some bitterness. The bitterness dominates the finish. The different components work together pretty well, so it isn’t unpleasant. Much stronger than the first two steeps. By the 5th steep it was much more pleasant. No fermentation flavor and only a hint of bitterness. Flavor is a mix of wood and stone fruit. Finish is still bitter. I’m still drinking (up to about the 7th or 8th steep) and still enjoying the tea. It’s milder and less complex but has no negatives. Just a really nice taste.

I’m pretty much an exclusively sheng drinker, but every once in a while try shou. This tea could make me keep coming back.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 g 2 OZ / 59 ML
mrmopar

I am frothing and waiting for the new stuff from W2T as well. This one and a couple more are coming home to me very soon.

boychik

It is nice

Dr Jim

I added to my buy list for the next order, but I’m trying to resist more tea.