2012 White2tea "Giant Steps"

Pu-erh Tea
Lemon, Bitter, Floral, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 6 oz / 183 ml

• “Feeling a bit under the weather today for reasons unrelated to tea, but I've had Giant Steps planned for today for weeks now. And I wanted to taste it no matter what. It just meant I used only 5...” Read full tasting note
    Cwyn 52 tasting notes
  • “As promised better late than never. I tasted this a couple of days ago after a long work day and was unable to give it the credit for it. I went 10 grams 10oz. my preferred method, gong fu. I...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 213 tasting notes

From White2Tea

The 2012 White 2 Tea / Taochaju Giant Steps blend was pressed in 2012 with a blend of pure old arbor material from three regions; Mensong, Nannuo, and Laoman’e. The material used ranges from 2008-2012, with both Spring and Fall material being used. It has an intense and durable huigan [sweet aftertaste], with light/medium kuwei [bitterness] and some astringency. This cake is suitable for immediate consumption or storage. The blend was made as a collaboration between White 2 Tea and Taochaju.

About White2Tea View company

Feeling a bit under the weather today for reasons unrelated to tea, but I’ve had Giant Steps planned for today for weeks now. And I wanted to taste it no matter what. It just meant I used only 5 grams instead of my usual 8-10 g, and reduced the amount of tea liquor to tasting quantity. Two rinses on the boil, then did about 8 quick steeps using a gaiwan and about 70 ml water.

Soup came out yellow and lemony tasting, no bitterness in quick steeping. Got a good dry mouth afterward, but I can’t fairly rate astringency due to taking hydrochlorothiazide, amongst other meds, which is designed to remove water from the body, aka water pill. Thus I have artificially dry mouth anyway. I note a nice astringency in a puerh, but rating it on a scale would be unfair to a tea (T).

This will be the only time I will drink my Giant Steps cake, as I plan to save it for my son. A more humorous take on that plan, plus photos, are in my tea blog -——>

Flavors: Lemon

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
boychik

I very much enjoyed your writing

ashmanra

A friend with lots of dry mouth issues from meds recommends brushing teeth with coconut oil mixed with baking soda or bentonite clay, with cinnamon and or dried peppermint or peppermint oil added for flavor. Might help? Or maybe oil pulling with coconut oil? Dry mouth is the PITS!

Cwyn

I think some of the natural food store’s toothpastes have those ingredients, I probably have one in the bathroom cabinet somewhere. The dry mouth doesn’t bother me much except when drinking astringent tea. I need the water removal so mostly I just feel normal, but it does bother me that the bulk of water being removed is expensive puerh broth. Sigh…

K S

Hope this day finds you feeling better. Read the blog post – Love the Gator. Curious, do you ever get your son to try your tea? Even if he hates it now, it would make it absolutely priceless one day to have that memory attachment. I have two grown sons. One I have shared astronomy with. He will inherit the scopes. The other shares my tea. He doesn’t really get the value of some of the good stuff but I know he would value our sharing.

Cwyn

He actually likes tea, but prefers black tea “the darker, the better.”

I went 10 grams 10oz. my preferred method, gong fu.
I gave a wash for about 5 seconds and went with it. It has good leaf size in whatI put in the gaiwan. It is somewhat darker than a newly pressed cake. It carries a nice hit of bitter and a sweetness combined. It is a bit floral tossed in there as well. Fantastic in the bit of punch it brings to the table. Six steepings later and it is still very nice. A bit stronger than the repave cake but nicely along the lines with some of the “aged” taste to it. This will give the tongue tingle and state of relaxation that slowly creeps up on you.
Very nice and solid tea.
A touch of astringency that fades quickly.

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Cwyn

Good review! This one is next up for me, will be using about 1/2 that amount of water.