2011 Dayi Wuzidengke Ripe Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Baked Bread, Black Currant, Brandy, Earth, Mineral, Nutty, Rye, Sweet, Dates, Fig, Malt, Sweet, warm grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Rie T.

• “Been drinking this tea a few times a week for the past couple months--I really like it. Starts out with a slight astringency, a subtle bitterness, but pleasant and sweet. Earthy, a bit minerally...” Read full tasting note
    lawschoolhobo 2 tasting notes
  • “This tea is excellent. It does not have the typical Dayi security marks. I don’t know which Dayi teas from 2011 glow green is the thing. In any case its quite good. There was a moderate...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 494 tasting notes
  • “Unwrapping this cake, only a faint aroma of duiwei was detected. This is my first ripe pu’er and I was worried about encountering this. The cake broke quite easily, and small bits could be...” Read full tasting note
    Jimbobs 3 tasting notes

From White2Tea

Wuzidengke is a Song Dynasty Chinese idiom referring to a story about a family who had five sons who all passed the governmental exam to become officers. The idiom is used in a modern context to wish someone a bright and prosperous future at weddings or special occasions. The cakes are bound together in groups of five as a reference to the idiom.

The Wuzidengke puer tea is strong, thick, and sweet in the mouth with an uncommonly complex fragrance for a ripe puer tea. It has only a tiny trace of duiwei [pile fermentation] flavor and is drinkable right away, but also fit for storage.

The cake is 150 grams of gongting [high grade, small leaf] material. There are five cakes in a stack, shipped in a storage tin.

About White2Tea View company

Been drinking this tea a few times a week for the past couple months—I really like it. Starts out with a slight astringency, a subtle bitterness, but pleasant and sweet. Earthy, a bit minerally maybe… By far my favorite ripe puer I’ve had (although I’ve tasted very few). Will definitely be getting another cake with my next order.

Started brewing in the gaiwan but ended up bringing the cake with me to work where I just have one of those Teavana things that strain through the bottom. Probably used around 8g and steeped 4oz cups for 15, 25, 30, etc., seconds. Lasted quite a while.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Black Currant, Brandy, Earth, Mineral, Nutty, Rye, Sweet

This tea is excellent. It does not have the typical Dayi security marks. I don’t know which Dayi teas from 2011 glow green is the thing. In any case its quite good. There was a moderate amount of fermentation flavor in the early steeps. By the fifth steep it was gone. There was a sweet flavor too. Another person apparently described it as figs. While I might have said dates or plums this is close too. It emerged in the later steeps. For a tea that only costs $14.50 or so this is quite good. I really enjoyed this tea. I would have steeped it four more times or so but I didn’t want the caffeine.

I steeped this six times in a 220ml gaiwan with 10g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 10 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, and 1 min.

Flavors: Dates, Earth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 220 OZ / 6506 ML

The cake broke quite easily, and small bits could be crumbled off by hand.
2 quick rinses and the first 15sec steep is soft, biscuity and slightly earthy. A golden orange colour in the piao-i.
I left the leaves covered for 30 minutes to open out and the second steep (15secs) was a treacle brown, now with hints of plum in the smell of the leaves. An element of fig in the taste and more earthiness coming to the fore. Still very smooth.
An enjoyable puer although little complexity so far.

Flavors: Earth, Fig, Malt, Sweet, warm grass