English Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by Stoggler

• “Note: I am drinking the loose leaf version. I am really, really eager to try the Afternoon Tea in this set with jasmine and bergamot, but I wanted to dip some gingerbread almond biscotti in my...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “I got several bags of this tea from a friend who lives over in England. It was supposed to arrive for X-mas, but Canada Post apparently backlogged all of its incomming deliveries. The colour,...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1629 tasting notes
  • “The bagged version of this is what I've taken to drinking at my in-laws' house. It's rather old (best before date was 18 months ago), but it's still better than Twinings Everyday!” Read full tasting note
    adagio breeze 96 tasting notes
  • “This is a good tea for something easy to pop in the water and hit the road with. You get a lot of caffeine, and a flavor that's not too bitter like tea bags tend to be. benefits from a little cream...” Read full tasting note
    Xylon2 14 tasting notes

From Whittard of Chelsea

The most popular House blend. It is rich, strong, fresh tasting, with good color and flavor. It contains Ceylon for flavour, Assam for strength, and Kenya for colour.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

Note: I am drinking the loose leaf version.

I am really, really eager to try the Afternoon Tea in this set with jasmine and bergamot, but I wanted to dip some gingerbread almond biscotti in my tea this morning, and that really calls for unflavored tea to me. I opted for this one and braced myself for the first sip because it says, “Strong, Traditional” on the front of the beautiful little green and gold tin that I doubt I will ever part with because it is so beautiful.

The color in the cup did not lie. I made this in a small glass teapot and saw that it was a medium color with great clarity, though not too pale. I am a little afraid of some assam teas and I figured there would surely be some in this blend (and there is) but it isn’t harsh at all. I made a resteep because I hadn’t finished my biscotti and it was a little paler, not quite as strong, but still very enjoyable.

This is a good all around tea, easily drunk without milk or sugar, tasty for dipping biscotti or tea biscuits, and perfect for when you are not craving a particular tea or flavor and want an easy choice. Very nice!

Rosehips

Gingerbread almond biscotti sounds amazing!

Fjellrev

Oh man, does it ever.

ashmanra

They are quite good, and I only find them near Christmas. I need to go buy some extras to hoard!

The colour, when I add milk, is quite unique – it’s the exact colour of butterscotch, or maybe of creamy peanut butter. Maybe that’s the Kenyan tea they added ‘for colour’?

The tea is quite full-bodied and the tastes makes me think of toast, which seems quite appropriate all things considered. ;)

Angrboda

I’m crossing my fingers that my swap letter for you should be arriving soonishly too, then!

LENA

Mmmm….this sounds good.

The bagged version of this is what I’ve taken to drinking at my in-laws’ house. It’s rather old (best before date was 18 months ago), but it’s still better than Twinings Everyday!

This is a good tea for something easy to pop in the water and hit the road with. You get a lot of caffeine, and a flavor that’s not too bitter like tea bags tend to be. benefits from a little cream and honey.

It has a boldness of flavor which can be nice in the morning but which I tend to avoid.
The liqueur is dark reddish and inky. It will stain your teeth, the glass, and your newly pressed white shirt. It will make your breathe smell like a compost heap. You could say that all teas do this to some extent, which is true, but Whittard’s breakfast blend seems to excel in “most like ink” category.

I don’t think I steeped this longer than two minutes but this preparation came out really bitter. Still decent, but a little bracing.

Took this one to class with me this morning for my finals review sessions. This is another one of those teas that is so simple but a staple tea. One to go to if your indecisive. Loved it black and also loved it with a little honey. Got me through the morning and I love it. Thank you Shelley_Lorraine for this mystery sample. I will definitely keep this one as a morning go to:)

Pretty solid everyday tea for the price. I find it has hints of tobacco in a good way and is worth having this on hand for those who like strong black tea.

I got this in a pack that also contained the ‘Whittard Original’ blend. I prefer the other one because there is more flavour to it, and I think more assam, which is a sure-fire way of keeping it interesting.

So this is a bit of a disappointment really. Maybe I just set my hopes too high

I Use a big Tea spoon to put my leaves inside
And steep it. After I poor a little milk and
Drink.
This tea tastes refreshing in the morning.

Nice, strong cup of black tea.Very good with milk, and the Assam gives it a nice jolt without being too overpowering.