Sticky Toffee Pudding

Caramel, Dates
Edit tea info Last updated by Raritea

From Whittard of Chelsea

Indulgent, sticky and decadent, we’ve sourced the essence of this hedonistic dessert to produce a luxurious tea. We were inspired by this classic pudding and blended a tea that brings out its enduring qualities. There are real caramelised macademia nuts in this black tea, so it is as sweet and indulgent as the real thing, but kinder to your waist!

Ingredients: Ceylon and China Black tea, caramel pieces, flavouring

This product contains “caramel pieces”. These could also contain dairy and soya allergens.
Produced in an environment that uses nut ingredients. Not suitable for nut allergy sufferers.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

Hello sweet tooth tea!

Quite a rich black tea with lots of malty, smooth flavor. The black tea base is accented with hard candy toffee flavor. I like the macadamia nuts in this blend, it’s like chestnuts, but sweet and bright. Very sweet of a blend though, like I already added a small spoon of sugar in my cup, in fact, the ingredients state “sugar” on them too.

With that said, totally a dessert tea for someone who likes sweeter teas.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/sticky-toffee-black-tea-whittard-chelsea-oolong-owl-tea-review/
I wish my Tea owls had more of a sweet tooth, I’m buried in sweets from Christmas! For some reason this year everyone gave me candy!

I used 0.9 tablespoons of dry leaf for 375 ml of water.

Malty flavour. Toffee sweetness that is not overpowered by an astringency. Smooth black tea tones.

At room temperature, I notice a robustness to the flavour at the end of the sip. Brittle confectionary sweetness near the end of the sip.

Mmmmm sounds good!

My local Whittard of Chelsea brought this out yesterday while I was in there, so I got a pouch to try. The dry leaf scent on this is very strong and ery sweet – like sticky toffee pudding, actually! Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate to the steeped aroma and it just smells like plain black tea. Hot, this doesn’t really taste like much, just black tea with the slightest hint of caramel nuttiness.

But iced, this is AWESOME! So good! It is a very sweet tea without additions and cold I can definitely taste the caramel/toffee part of this. I just brewed up a gallon and can’t wait to get started!

Angrboda

Gosh, that sounds interesting. I’ll have to try and remember this the next time I’m in the UK. I’ve only been moderately pleased with Whittards, but I’ve definitely had worse in my life so they’ve managed to hold my interest to a certain degree. (If I recall correctly, they do a pretty awesome strawberry black as well.)

Alana237

I agree, their strawberry black is pretty good. They have brought out some new teas recently, and I do think they are a better quality than their previous teas.

Angrboda

Their english rose was defintiely a load of tosh, so if they can top that, that’s good enough for me. :D Come to think of it, the boyfriend is going to Suffolk in a couple of weeks, most likely. Maybe I should send a shopping list with him just in case he happens to get the opportunity. (On the other hand he’ll probably just remind me that we have so much tea at the moment that I ran out of tins…)

This is still a great tea! I really enjoy this one every time I drink it. The flavors are not to sweet or overpowering.

Another in a swap from Awkward Soul. This tea doesn’t have a WOW! factor, but is a good stable tea. I can taste the base (with a little astringency), and the toffee/caramel flavor. It tasted better when it was hot. As it is cooling, the toffee/caramel/nut flavor is on the back of the sip (instead of more on the front).

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I have never really been a fan of flavoured teas but a friend gave me a sample of this, so I thought I would give it a try. It smells really strongly of sticky toffee pudding so that is a good start. Steve had told me that he found the tea disappointing so I loaded the teapot with more tea than I would otherwise have done and poured on the water. Waves of sticky toffee pudding smell arose from the pot. Good start. After a longer than usual steep, I was able to taste the tea. The base tea is malty and rich (possibly an Assam?), and the gingery sweetness of the pudding comes through with an element of dates. It was really quite good while hot and definitely reflected the name in its flavour, but as it cooled it quickly became bitter and less palatable. I’ve finished the sample now but might be tempted to buy a packet for myself if passing a Whittards, although I do wonder if its sugary sweetness would pall after a while.

Flavors: Caramel, Dates

Angrboda

This one is on my list for next I’m in a Whittards. I need it in my life, I think. We’ll have to stop in at one at the next opportunity, because Husband discovered that he very much likes their afternoon Earl Grey, so that’s my way in. :D

Roughage

This is a tea that I have enjoyed in small quantities. I did not mention in the tasting notes but it does not resteep well at all, so only one cup per pot. If I am passing a Whittards I shall see about picking you some up, Angrboda, if you wish.

Angrboda

No need. It’s pretty easy to get to a Whittards when we’re visiting Husband’s parents. If we want to go shopping, we’ve tended to go to Cambridge, which is far enough away to be an outing and close enough for a suitable day-trip. ‘Tis a place full of lurking dangers. Last time I went past WHSmiths with a mantra of ’it doesn’t exist. It doesn’t exist. It doesn’t exist.’ in my head. I have been known to spend half my pocket money for a full 10 days in there in one fell swoop… Oops! :D

I’ve reached the point now where going to England doesn’t actually feel like really travelling anymore.

mmmmm i like this one. Though it’s the sort of tea i probably should turn in to a decadent cup of amazing by adding a little sweetner, but i won’t. This was another share from Awkward Soul and i am a happy camper. Rich, dark, satisfying yummy tea!

Here is another tea sent to me by Awkward Soul, for Sil & I to share.
It’s ok. Not really my thing, which is surprizing to me, as I was really feeling like I wanted something decadent, but there was something in the taste that just didn’t appeal to me. The rest of it goes to Sil, so that’s another sipdown for me (330).

i have another box waiting to come to you toooo!

This tea smells much better than it tastes. I found it takes a little more leaves than what I usually use to prepare a nice, tasty cup. Sweet and comforting. I like flowery teas better, but it’s still is a nice tea to offer to guests.

Hello! For my first tasting note I thought I’d start with the tea that really kicked off my addiction collection.

The tea smells wonderful; when I first got the packet I spent the next few hours holding it against my face and sniffing it. It smells that good: warm toffee and nuts. I remember wishing that there was a perfume of it.

The last few times I’ve had this tea I’ve found it very easy to overbrew, but it didn’t help that I probably put too much tea in the mug to begin with. This time I took more care and it’s made a real difference to the colour – more of a golden brown than the almost-black I had before.

The toffee-nut smell isn’t so strong anymore now the tea is brewed, there’s more of a malty aroma instead. After tasting it I think I could have made it a fair bit stronger with the shorter brewing time. The toffee seems more of an afterthought than anything else, but it builds up while you drink more.

This wasn’t an amazing cup of tea, but I’m still experimenting with strength and brewing times. If nothing else, I’d keep it for the smell. And thank you, Melissa, for the tea.