Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Chairman Wow

From Whittard of Chelsea

This is Japan’s No 1 favourite tea. The very healthy Sencha style green tea is steamed whilst being rolled to preserve the colour. Gently ‘green spinachy’ in taste; most enjoyable made light. Never add milk and never brew strong.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

A while ago I gave this a try in its teabag form- 50 teabags to one box, basically gave me 50 unsavoury, terrible tea experiences. However I’m hearing good things about the loose leaf version and I’m always willing to give teas another shot, so I caved and got the loose-leaf Sencha yesterday, thinking I could use this for breakfast.

Steeped to the pale gold colour the packet recommends (the leaves look… unimpressive, to say the least, like bancha rather than anything of a higher grade), it still has this foreboding, sharply tangy aroma to it. Part of this fresh citrus-y scent is what makes Japanese green teas so unique, of course, but too much of that gave me an entirely bitter experience last time I tried this tea. And onto the first sip…

Much better! Smoother, softer over the palate and nothing as astringent as how it smells or how the teabag tea tasted! I understand the main difference between this tea and the teabag version is the teabag version uses Sri Lankan tea leaf fannings, whereas this, as whole-leaf Japanese tea, is more delicate. I’d used about a level teaspoonful— I’d say the flavour, being so easily spoilt, is absolutely based on the quantity of tea used. In a teabag there’s simply too much to make one pleasant mugful…

As I’m getting through the cup the citrus astringency is slowly beginning to settle in, but not unpleasantly. It reminds me of drinking tea and eating maple-leaf dorayaki in the ryokan in Miyajima… definitely making me crave red bean paste, anyway. I had to take quite a bit of care with letting the boiled water cool before pouring it but I think I’ll make this part of my morning routine from now on. ♥

The box holding the teabags says it should be brewed with boiling water for 4-5 minutes, but I found 1 minute and 80 degC was perfectly good. Maybe I’ll try their suggestion, after discovering how good my yellow tea is after brewing for 20 minutes, but I always go for a short brew time on sencha, because I find they can get bitter. This was perfectly good, although unsurprisingly not as nice as the loose leaf sencha I have

Cofftea

I prefer mine a little cooler, 160. I also use 1.5 leaf and only 4oz water. I agree w/ the 1 min… 4-5 w/ boiling.. wow! That’s even way off for the "all greens are created equal theory that I hate. The flavor is amazing, but the volume takes some getting used to. Pu Erh is also becoming good practice for getting used to smaller cuppas:)

This is part of a sampler pack and the box just says “green tea” so I’m making an educated guess that this is, in fact, sencha. The initial taste in my mouth is actually surprising, not like green tea at all before it settles into a standard green tea taste. Not sure how to describe it, it’s not strong. Finish is slightly metallic-tasting.

Whittard green sencha sold loose or in tea bags. Drink black with
One spoon of sugar. Nice Green colour.