Whittard Original

Edit tea info Last updated by Paulo Ribeiro

• “It's of the utmost importance that I figure out if I am a heffalump or a woozle, and what colour I am. I fear my brain may go BOOM! if I don't figure it out ASAP. O.o Either I've completely lost...” Read full tasting note
    Ceylon Star 78 tasting notes
  • “Drank this because http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php. I forgot which of the wonderful steepster people made it, but I think it's fun. I'm drinking a lot of Yorkshire tea at work at the moment...” Read full tasting note
    grinnyguy 187 tasting notes
  • “I made a 5 cup pot of this yesterday in my new glass teapot (What can I say, I am a sucker for pretty things). Husband and I sipped on this during breakfast and throughout our morning chores. I...” Read full tasting note
    Ellyn 230 tasting notes
  • “I sort of lucked into this rich, strong, traditional tea. I bought it on sale at a discount grocer for .99 a pouch. When first opening the pouch, the aroma is beautifully rich and malty , with a...” Read full tasting note
    aluciddelusion 3 tasting notes

From Whittard of Chelsea

A favourite House tea renowned for its strength and colour. It contains more Kenya tea than English Breakfast. This blend was developed by old Mr Whittard at the turn of the century with the advent of African tea in 1903.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

It’s of the utmost importance that I figure out if I am a heffalump or a woozle, and what colour I am. I fear my brain may go BOOM! if I don’t figure it out ASAP. O.o

Either I’ve completely lost my mind, or my craving for black tea with honey had something to do with it.

I like to use a CTC tea when adding honey, so that it doesn’t overwhelm the tea itself, since honey is so strong. This one was a good choice. Good body, steeped it a wee bit long so that the honey dulled the mild bitterness without camouflaging the lovely black base.

I need to get my hands on some more Whittards blacks. They’re quite lovely and versatile and some of the nicer CTC teas I’ve had. A friend brought me a 3 pack of adorable tins of Whittards tea when she went to England last year. I wonder how bad shipping would be….

OMGsrsly

You can get them at Winners/Homesense fairly regularly. I don’t think there are many right now, but in a month or so they should get more stock. But you never know. (Also, elephant tins!!)

Bear With Me

Were the elephant tins Whittards teas?!?! OOH! Even more reason to get them! I mean, uhh, I don’t like elephants and fun tins, not in the slightest…

OMGsrsly

I’m pretty sure yes. But if not (what other tea company starts with a ‘wh’ sound?!) they do carry boxes sometimes too. (Googled.) Williamsons. :( Thise are the elephants. Darn it!

Bear With Me

bummer, but possibly still worth checking out! worse comes to worse I use the tea to make kombucha if it’s crappy tea, then fill the effelants with something more awesome! (kind of like how I want the rainbow DAVIDs pink lemonade special tin, but I want to dump the pink lemonade into a plain tin and fill the tin with Janet’s Rainbow Rooibos. I mean come on, rainbow tins need rainbow teas!!)

Rainbows! :)

Bear With Me

need ALL the rainbow things!

Drank this because http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php. I forgot which of the wonderful steepster people made it, but I think it’s fun.

I’m drinking a lot of Yorkshire tea at work at the moment and the first thing I notice about this is that it has more Indian tea – Assam etc I think – than Yorkshire tea. That’s obvious from the smell. I’m waiting for it to cool down
…5 minutes pass…
Ooh, it’s very tasty. What more can I say? I like it

Angrboda

It was Teaplz’s boyfriend who made the site. :)

I made a 5 cup pot of this yesterday in my new glass teapot (What can I say, I am a sucker for pretty things). Husband and I sipped on this during breakfast and throughout our morning chores. I love this tea as a basic black blend. It is great for the first cup of the morning. It is nothing spectacular or unique here but a good solid cup of tea.

As other posters have said I can taste the malty flavors for sure.

I am not sure if I will get another package of this once it is gone — there are so many black tea blends I want to try! But I will finish this lovely package brought back for me from England.

I sort of lucked into this rich, strong, traditional tea. I bought it on sale at a discount grocer for .99 a pouch. When first opening the pouch, the aroma is beautifully rich and malty , with a hint of citrus from the Ceylon. After pouring my water over the leaves the aroma of course intensified. I also detected a bit of spice and currant aromas mixed in. The color is a nice rich mahogany. Now for the flavor, I found it to be just what I wanted. It is rich,warm and inviting, I know inviting, what does that mean, that isn’t a flavor. Well, to me it tasted like an inviting room feels.There were hints of malt,spice and citrus mixed in the with richness of black tea. I believe this to be a nice tea anytime you want a bit of comfort mixed with a bit of pick me up.

I really, really like this tea. It’s very full-bodied and Assam-y and it smells a bit like Ovaltine, which I suppose makes sense given the strong maltiness to the flavour. I’ve been drinking this with sugar to counterbalance the slight astringency of this tea. It’s a great everyday tea, I got a few bags as a sample and I’m definitely going to have to buy more once I’ve gotten through them.

On my last cup of this after reveiving a few bags in a sampler. It’s a pleasant enough all day, every day cup of tea but it’s nothing special. Has mild malt and smoke tones with little to no richness or strength which is what I look for in a teabag. It’s not dusty which is a plus point so I can tell it isn’t cheap but it’s just the lack of strength knocking it down points for me.

Nice Tea but strong and worming any time of the day.
Comes in small leaves or enveloped Tea bags.

Makes me feel very good! Great taste and colour!

I keep this as a back up at work, I think it tastes a lot better with honey and a splash of milk. It is a black tea, which normally I would steep for longer… but it gets a very “dry” texture if I steep it too long.