Whittard Original

Edit tea info Last updated by Paulo Ribeiro

• “A friend just got back from a trip to England, and she brought me back some lovely tea. I got a sample pack of 3 tins with 25g each of Whittards English Breakfast, Assam, and this (Original Blend),...” Read full tasting note
    Ceylon Star 58 tasting notes
  • “Drank this because http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php. I forgot which of the wonderful steepster people made it, but I think it's fun. I'm drinking a lot of Yorkshire tea at work at the moment...” Read full tasting note
    grinnyguy 181 tasting notes
  • “I made a 5 cup pot of this yesterday in my new glass teapot (What can I say, I am a sucker for pretty things). Husband and I sipped on this during breakfast and throughout our morning chores. I...” Read full tasting note
    Ellyn 217 tasting notes
  • “I sort of lucked into this rich, strong, traditional tea. I bought it on sale at a discount grocer for .99 a pouch. When first opening the pouch, the aroma is beautifully rich and malty , with a...” Read full tasting note
    aluciddelusion 3 tasting notes

From Whittard of Chelsea

A favourite House tea renowned for its strength and colour. It contains more Kenya tea than English Breakfast. This blend was developed by old Mr Whittard at the turn of the century with the advent of African tea in 1903.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

A friend just got back from a trip to England, and she brought me back some lovely tea. I got a sample pack of 3 tins with 25g each of Whittards English Breakfast, Assam, and this (Original Blend), A box of peppermint tea bags (a much sweeter peppermint than what I usually get, but lovely all the same), and a novel little set of tea bags with holders in the shape of characturized Royal Family (I believe containing basic black tea, I’m assuming so because I don’t see anything on the package, and I have yet to open it).

Having been “friend zoned” by a longtime love and then informed that another special person in my life is getting married (which came up very soon after she’d professed her love to me), all in the span of less than 12 hours, I’m feeling pretty broken hearted. So I figured I’d try one of my new teas in hopes of picking up the pieces.

As it’s a CTC style loose tea, I only used 1tsp of leaf in my 12ish oz cup, rather than the 1.5tsp I tend to use when it’s a whole leaf tea. I have a Breville multi-temp kettle, and tend to use the slightly cooler “french press” setting for my black teas, rather than rolling boiled water. I find the slightly lower temp brings out more of the sweetness of the leaf, and minimizes the astringency. That, and I can drink it sooner! haha

This really hits the spot. It’s bold, but still light enough to drink straight, the way I like it. The kenyan tea gives it a good robustness, but the Assam smooths it out and the Ceylon brings it all together with a light sweetness.
I did a short steep (about 1m30sec) the first time, worried I might make it too bitter, so I was able to get a second steep of equal length out of the leaf. I got a teeny bit of bitterness so added a pinch of palm sugar, and ohmygoodness, that hit the spot!

This is definitely what the doctor ordered on this drizzly, cold, blah day!

Claire

Feel better soon! internet hug

Indigobloom

oh dear, thats alot for one day. So sorry hun, wish I could help somehow!! xo

Drank this because http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php. I forgot which of the wonderful steepster people made it, but I think it’s fun.

I’m drinking a lot of Yorkshire tea at work at the moment and the first thing I notice about this is that it has more Indian tea – Assam etc I think – than Yorkshire tea. That’s obvious from the smell. I’m waiting for it to cool down
…5 minutes pass…
Ooh, it’s very tasty. What more can I say? I like it

Angrboda

It was Teaplz’s boyfriend who made the site. :)

I made a 5 cup pot of this yesterday in my new glass teapot (What can I say, I am a sucker for pretty things). Husband and I sipped on this during breakfast and throughout our morning chores. I love this tea as a basic black blend. It is great for the first cup of the morning. It is nothing spectacular or unique here but a good solid cup of tea.

As other posters have said I can taste the malty flavors for sure.

I am not sure if I will get another package of this once it is gone — there are so many black tea blends I want to try! But I will finish this lovely package brought back for me from England.

I sort of lucked into this rich, strong, traditional tea. I bought it on sale at a discount grocer for .99 a pouch. When first opening the pouch, the aroma is beautifully rich and malty , with a hint of citrus from the Ceylon. After pouring my water over the leaves the aroma of course intensified. I also detected a bit of spice and currant aromas mixed in. The color is a nice rich mahogany. Now for the flavor, I found it to be just what I wanted. It is rich,warm and inviting, I know inviting, what does that mean, that isn’t a flavor. Well, to me it tasted like an inviting room feels.There were hints of malt,spice and citrus mixed in the with richness of black tea. I believe this to be a nice tea anytime you want a bit of comfort mixed with a bit of pick me up.

I really, really like this tea. It’s very full-bodied and Assam-y and it smells a bit like Ovaltine, which I suppose makes sense given the strong maltiness to the flavour. I’ve been drinking this with sugar to counterbalance the slight astringency of this tea. It’s a great everyday tea, I got a few bags as a sample and I’m definitely going to have to buy more once I’ve gotten through them.

Nice Tea but strong and worming any time of the day.
Comes in small leaves or enveloped Tea bags.

Makes me feel very good! Great taste and colour!

I keep this as a back up at work, I think it tastes a lot better with honey and a splash of milk. It is a black tea, which normally I would steep for longer… but it gets a very “dry” texture if I steep it too long.