2008 Xiaguan "Golden 8100"

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by the_skua
Boiling

• “Cleaning out the sample closet, I polished off this example recently. My opinion of this tea has declined even further. The interior of the cake is really rough and finely chopped. The first few...” Read full tasting note
    the_skua 207 tasting notes

From Xiaguan Tuocha Co. Ltd.

This is a new Xiaguan recipe for 2007. The first release of the 8100 recipe was in 2007 in the form a 250 gram round box tuo. This 2008 cake is composed of blended Pu-erh from spring 2006 and 2007. It is blended in a typical Xiaguan style so the brewed flavor is well-balanced. The “cha qi” is heavy, and there is a sweet after-taste. The brewed liquor is clear and dark gold in color. One of the better Xiaguan cakes released in the last 2 years.

About Xiaguan Tuocha Co. Ltd. View company

Cleaning out the sample closet, I polished off this example recently. My opinion of this tea has declined even further. The interior of the cake is really rough and finely chopped. The first few steeps are cloudy! A touch sour, with a bit of ash, and some aged mesquite bark. A yellow color, thankfully, but heavy on the forward and back bitterness. The more pu’er I drink, the less interested I become in these heavily cut, strongly processed big factory names.

deftea

Usually I wouldn’t remark on a tea I didn’t like. But I realize now how helpful a negative review can be to others. Thanks for this as well as your other puerh reviews.

the_skua

I try to stay away from being needlessly negative, but think it’s important that positive reviews are balanced with negative ones. The scores do add up and it helps the cream rise to the top. Plus, there are so many teas to choose from, I find negative reviews very helpful to steer away from things I may not want to direct my monies at.