Genmai Cha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jenny

• “Experience of going to Japantown where I got this tea can be found in my blog, here: http://sanfrantea.teatra.de/2012/05/12/on-a-quest-for-tea-in-japantown/ This genmaicha has more toasted rice...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2339 tasting notes
  • “Went very well with my bagel with spinach & artichoke cream cheese breakfast. Bringing it to keep me awake in classes today. It should not legal to have classes before 10am.” Read full tasting note
    jlchu 248 tasting notes
  • “I got this tea bag from the *Travelling Tea Box* which *Angrboda* so thoughtfully started. I wanted to try a new Genmai-cha, despite some skepticism about it being bagged. The tea bag had the...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Yet another new experience from the Asian market! I had seen some reviews of this blend, the price was right and I tried it. Honestly, the aroma when it is steeping is not what I would call...” Read full tasting note
    twing 120 tasting notes

From Yamamotoyama

Green tea with roasted brown rice.

About Yamamotoyama View company

I received this from Ottawa Tea during an exchange! I finally got to opening it. I’ve taken it around the world but didn’t get to try it until now. I was excited about it since it was genmai cha, which is one of my favorite teas. It smells good. This was a tea bag, so the leaves were a little crushed with small brown rice. The smell is nutty and like rice. The taste is just average. Nothing to go wild about, but it is a good standard genmai cha. It is a very mild taste.

I always smile drinking this one, great for a cold wintery day! The aroma of the rice is so welcoming!

gmathis

We’ve always called it it “rice krispies” tea at our house.

Peggie Bennett

It actually reminds me of my mom cooking rice in a pot when we were little, and the crusty parts that stuck to the pan, she would cook until toasty brown and then sprinkle with salt. It was our “treat” after dinner! A little sad, I know. :-)

I picked up a looseleaf version of this from the local Japanese market. I might have brewed it too weak because I’m not getting a lot of the rice flavor that I love. Still a good green tea.

I’m not always in the mood for this tea, but when I am, nothing else will do. It’s incredibly nutty and soothing, kind of like a really good bowl of oatmeal.

One of my favorite frugal morning cups – a regular purchase for me at Mitsuwa (though I’m really there for the ramen at Santouka of course).

Brewed in an Indian made Korean style infuser cup.

Dry, I find Yamamotoyama to produce one of the more aromatic Genmaichas I’ve had – though by no means complex, the toasted rice and grassy tea (Bancha?) synergize with all the sweet potency you could desire.

Spring Bud-green liquor holds a few dozen microscopic leaves that dance along the eddies of heat before descending to rest uneasily on the bottom of the cup.

Dusty, grainy, and faintly grassy in the nose. Simple, earthy, easy-drinking, lightly toasted, with no real vegetal notes or bitterness as long as you don’t stew it. Hints of peanut husks. Delicate yet faintly creamy mouth-feel.

Second and third steep with boiling water for 30 seconds and 1 minute respectively.

Satisfying and sufficiently energizing to be a “daily drinker” if you were so inclined.

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

This is a very strong-tasting genmaicha, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Very umami, somewhat astringent, really brothy.

I may have oversteeped this, though – the directions I was given said 1 tbsp for 30 seconds to 1 minute at 176-194F. I did it for 1 minute at 177F. I’m really having trouble finding a genmaicha I like, it seems.

I purchased this at the PAT Asian market yesterday while at the vet (they are right near each other). I wanted to try a different Genmai cha . I looked for a package that didn’t have clear cellophane to let the light in thinking that if the company did that, it’s going to be better quality. This one was about $5 for 200g. When I checked out the brew times I could see there were decent brew temperatures too.
I checked the reviews first before having it and was disappointed it had some bad reviews. That was because there are two Genmai cha’s on Steepster. One with a hyphen and then this one. This is the one I’ve got. Matches the package.
Opened up I could see it was a nice sencha not a green tea. Some of the rice was popped too. I haven’t had a lot of genmaicha so far but I think that’s a good sign it’s a decent quality.
Brewed at 190F for 30 sec. This one has a deep grassy vegetal taste from the sencha along with the toasty rice. A nice balance. Some genmaicha’s are more toasty rice but I didn’t get that from this one. There seems to be a lot less caffeine than the other genmaicha I have too.

http://twitpic.com/jdhh7 – Morning tea with @thetower (or @thestranger on steepster)! We’re having genmaicha this morning.

drank the decaf version. it’s pretty good, particularly for a decaf tea.

For the cost and quality, I would say pass on some of the more expensive brands, this tea gives you the quality without the high cost, you can save your money for another tea. Well worth it. You can find it in many Asian grocery stores, Super H Mart in Dallas (Carrolton) is my place of choice.