Brown Rice Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by roshni

• “I was feeling a little bit nauseous this morning and reached for this tea. Still not feeling great, but it did help settle a little bit by getting something in my stomach. I didn't even finish my...” Read full tasting note
    tuscanteal 130 tasting notes
  • “This tea is a mixed bag (pun intended?). I've drank a lot of cups of this tea, and sometimes it tastes fantastic and fresh, and other times it's weak and stale. I guess it depends on how long ago...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “I tried this tea before I knew what tea was. It came off burnt and sour. I didn't buy another genmaicha for years b/c of it. I think it was too toasty, coming off smoky. I did like Yamamotoyama...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 252 tasting notes
  • “Of the gen mai cha teas in bags I have tried, this one has the strongest toasted rice note and weakest tea flavors. The dry tea bags have the aroma of green tea and toasted rice in balance. The...” Read full tasting note
    teamax 50 tasting notes

From Yamamotoyama

Genmaicha is made from deeply steamed Sencha tea leaves with added Japanese brown rice and Matcha green tea powder. Together these flavours harmonise beautifully to create a delicious hot green tea with a hint of roasted rice. Like other teas it is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols. These help prevent cancer, keep the heart healthy and aid general well-being.

About Yamamotoyama View company

I was feeling a little bit nauseous this morning and reached for this tea. Still not feeling great, but it did help settle a little bit by getting something in my stomach. I didn’t even finish my cup, which normally I do. When my boyfriend comes into my office and I have this tea, he always asks if I am eating toast or popcorn. To sum it up, it’s toasty ;)

I steeped this for far too long this morning, causing it to be a little strong for my liking.

TheTeaFairy

Hope the nausea goes away…not a pleasant feeling at all.

This tea is a mixed bag (pun intended?). I’ve drank a lot of cups of this tea, and sometimes it tastes fantastic and fresh, and other times it’s weak and stale. I guess it depends on how long ago the store stocked it. I find that steeping it on the longer side (around 3 mins) tends to be a good idea.

I tried this tea before I knew what tea was. It came off burnt and sour. I didn’t buy another genmaicha for years b/c of it. I think it was too toasty, coming off smoky. I did like Yamamotoyama teas years ago, but now, they are just mediocre to me.

Of the gen mai cha teas in bags I have tried, this one has the strongest toasted rice note and weakest tea flavors. The dry tea bags have the aroma of green tea and toasted rice in balance. The steeped cup has a light yellow color and nice toasty aroma. The rice flavors come through strongly, and it is hard to taste the tea. Still, the toasted rice on its own is pleasant.

I tried another one with a 8-ish minute steeping at the same temperature. That brought out the bitter of the green tea, and it was too bitter for me.

I’ve never had a genmaicha that I didn’t like. This one is thoroughly decent and drinkable. The green tea is pretty standard bagged quality, so it probably won’t knock the socks off of seasoned tea drinkers. It’s greatly improved by the brown rice, though, so the drink as a lovely toasted earthiness—kind of like popcorn. Sometimes that hits the spot better than anything else!

Price is definitely another factor this has going for it. I got a box for around 2 bucks, so it’s affordable to drink every day if I wanted. And actually… sometimes I do. :)

This one is my favourite for fighting the urge to eat something sugary at 4pm. It certainly has got me through the day today.

I like the water boiling and I leave the bag in whilst I drink but I think with green tea it’s down to personal preference.

Boiling 8 min or more

I quite like this tea for its strong, nutty brown rice flavor, and its ease of preparation (pre-bagged) when I want genmai-cha but don’t want to deal with loose tea. I’ve found that the flavor is best when made with very hot water. When I try to brew it at work with the hot water from the water dispenser, the flavor is weak and pretty flat. But put it in a cup of nearly-boiling water and the flavor really blooms. It has a smell almost like broth – very rich and filling. The caffeine is low enough that I can drink several cups in a row, but just enough to give me a mild pep-up.

P.S. Please keep in mind that I am talking about an ease-of-preparation tea, not a fine loose tea. I wouldn’t treat (or rate) a fine loose tea on the same spectrum.

My dad had boxes and boxes of this tea in his house so I decided to take a box and try it out (sssshh, don’t tell him). It’s OK. I kind of like the brown rice flavor and it’s pretty good considering the price. I probably wouldn’t have tried it if I didn’t get it for free.

We enjoy the light toasted brown rice flavor of this green tea. It’s good hot, cold or room temp.