Qing Pin

Autumn Leaf Pile, Green Beans, Honey, Loam, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

• “oh man.. another delicious tea for the morning but now the mail is here and i'm like OMG! what do i drink first!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! so glad that once this little batch from tastybrew is all...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “I took advantage of Yezi Tea's free samples and ordered 3 samples of black teas. This was not one of the teas I chose but was one I really wanted to try. Luckily, Yezi teas is super generous,...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 357 tasting notes
  • “Finally getting around to trying one of the samples that I ordered from Yezi Tea! Of course whenever people start raving about a Chinese black tea on Steepster, I know I need to try it, especially...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1848 tasting notes
  • “My Yezi Tea order arrived last week, very impressed with how fast it got here! I've been wanting to try the yeas but I've been busy and harried for new teas. Finally got something sent out at work...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 820 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Yezi’s Qing Pin tea is locally sourced from farmer Huang Jian, whose family has been involved in growing tea at Nanhu, one of China’s most famed tea growing regions, for the last 250 years. Qing Pin in Chinese means bold personality, which is apt for this famed Nanhu Mountain tea. Qing Pin tea leaves produce a bold, dark, burgundy-colored beverage. The flavor has pronounced notes of peach and pear with distinctive smoky notes that neatly balance the natural sweetness of the tea.

Tea amount: 5-6 grams or 4 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Water Temperature: 95-100 °C or 203-212 °F
First brew: 15 seconds
Subsequent brews: 10 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

Some more samples! Thank you! I have so many teas to try just with samples from companies. I’ll be able to get to the samples now since the teaboxes are out of my hands! I love the name of this one. (And I’m also wondering what rooibos teas are called when black teas are red.) I was worried that the samples I picked out from Yezi would be like Laoshan black. I was trying to avoid the teas I thought would be like Laoshan Black, though I still wanted to try their black teas. Let’s call that the tea for me that everyone else seems to love and I don’t really get. I just feel there are stronger teas that are more like chocolate since Laoshan black is so light it can’t possibly taste like chocolate. I’m writing so much about Laoshan black, because I couldn’t tell these apart in a blind taste test. It’s very light, not like my favorite deep dark chocolate teas. I can see where many tea drinkers would prefer a lighter black tea to stronger flavors. Two teaspoons at a three minute steep right after boiling, yep, I can’t tell the two apart. Maybe my palate isn’t refined enough, but Laoshan black is certainly very unique enough that it doesn’t really taste like many other black teas… really any other tea I’ve tried before. Well, I failed trying to avoid the Laoshan of Yezi, but I hope the other two samples will probably be more to my liking… and I really liked the name of this one anyway!

A delicious tea and everything you would want in a China black. Chocolatey and fruity with an interesting hint of licorice—smooth, refined with a lingering honey sweetness. It also provided great sustained energy. I’m loving this trend towards farm-sourced teas!

I absolutely love this tea. I haven’t tried brewing it gong fu style yet, I used an infuser mug. It has very strong chocolate notes, even more than laoshan black from Verdant in my opinion.

sooooo goood!

ifjuly

this is one of my favorites from yezi!

I brought this with me on a trip to the Georgia mountains to visit a friend expecting her first. I knew her as a big tea drinker and thought she would have teaware for gongfu brewing. No luck there so I made due by converting a small sugar bowl into a gaiwan, worked perfectly.

Great bouquet of chocolate malt and dates. Tastes of malt, plum, fig and a decided oomph of my god this tea is fabulous. All subsequent steeps were equally as brilliant. I had this every morning for 4 days and it made my trip extra special being around a person I adore and a tea s well.

Terri HarpLady

Nice innovation! :)

Took a short break from the oolongs and thought I might as well try out the last Yezi Tea sample I have.

First off, I want to say that the dry leaf aroma is just enchanting. Like toasted chocolate. Kind of reminds me of Laoshan Black, the last time I had it (which was a while ago).

While the description says smoky, I don’t detect any of that in here. Just sweet, chocolatey, toasted goodness. The sweetness is sort of fruity, but I can’t quite place what fruit it is. It leaves a ‘clean’, yet ‘empty’ feeling in my mouth, if that makes any sense. No particularly strong aftertaste or complex finish, no dryness or bitterness, either. It just feels… blank. Like a sentence missing the period at the end. Hm. I’ll keep steeping this (gongfu style) for a little while and see what comes of it.

I’m sipping down the last of my samples from Yezi Tea

First steep(3 minutes): Rich aroma of damp forest. The flavor is more like old leather with undertones of chocolate and cedar. Very powerful, yet balanced and well integrated. Good finish.

The second steep was significantly less powerful, yet held all the same flavor components. It seemed more refined; almost like tasting a Bordeaux wine after a California Cabernet. I preferred the first steep, but only slightly.

This isn’t my favorite style of tea, but it was of such high quality that I enjoyed it a lot, so gave it a good score.

I am trying this along with 2 other teas I received as a sample from Yezi Tea’s, Gao Shan, and Jin Jun. I would put this slightly above Gao Shan. This is sweet and smooth and delicious.

This tea has a nice malty aroma. Very enjoyable malty flavor with cocoa and a little hay with a nice sweetness to it. The aftertaste is light and pleasant. This is a delightful tea that is light and tasty.

205 °F / 96 °C

I ordered this as one of my three free samples and I’ve got to say, I’m impressed. I love the rich loamy, malty flavor of this. It has good body to it as well and a deep amber color to the broth that I absolutely adore. I will definitely be ordering a full size of this!

I did not notice any peach or smoke flavors to this as in the description. The first infusion reminded me of green beans and autumn leaves, the second was loam and malt, the third was loam and honey. Perhaps the fourth infusion will have peach?

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Green Beans, Honey, Loam, Malt