Long Jing (Dragon Well) Master Grade

Green Tea
Butter, Green Beans
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Striking out in new territory. Never drank green teas. Don't know why? Maybe the macho thing or the health thing. Delicate things scare me. The closest I come to green teas is via ice cream. 1st...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 56 tasting notes
  • “Hello, Dragon Well Master Grade Long Jing. Unlike the white, this green tea has a subtle aroma out of the bag. There’s something cool and clean about it, that would almost fool you into believing...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Very new experience to me. I put off trying this sample, since I'm not a green drinker, and wanted to do it justice. The aroma is remarkable, and the flavor astonishingly smooth. Mildly...” Read full tasting note
    mugger 53 tasting notes
  • “This is excellent!!!! I got this as a sample with my purchase from Yezi,,,which I must say has terrific customer service and website!!!!!!! Grown in the town of Longjing, near the west Lake of...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 225 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

The leaves of this particular Long Jing are harvested at the beginning of spring—an entire week before the other varieties are picked—by local farmers who have maintained a fierce pride in growing the finest tea for generation after generation.

The brew is flush with the youthful, vibrant colors of yellow and green, and this premium-grade Long Jing has a natural sweetness reminiscent of sugarcane. Along with the sweetness you will also enjoy other slight but distinct tastes not characteristically associated with green tea. You will sense the assertive notes of grass, spinach, and seaweed that fill out the body of this ancient tea and lend it complexity.

Recommended amount: 5-6 grams or 4 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-80ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 2-3 oz. of water
Temperature: 75-80 °C or 167-176 °F
First brew: 1 min 30 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 20-30 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

Striking out in new territory. Never drank green teas. Don’t know why? Maybe the macho thing or the health thing. Delicate things scare me. The closest I come to green teas is via ice cream.

1st steep, the dry leaf smell was of buttery white chocolate and toasted pine nuts. How agreeable. 5g in a glass pitcher with 350ml spring water. Wet leaf aromas are more pronounced especially the pine nut. The flavor is decidedly not grassy as I had imagined. Soft velvety butter rich and again pine nutty.

2nd and 3rd steeps were the same and then the realization that there is nothing to fear about this delicate rich tea and I will be drinking greens any chance I can get. Oh forgot to mention the dancing leaves. When you’re as buzzed as I am now on tea, watching this was like doing Mr Wooly Willy when I was a child, with the bald headed man and the iron shavings you positioned on his head with a magnet wand, …fun.

Anna

I’m excited for you – and for myself; I look forward to reading all the green tea reviews you’ll be posting.

Hello, Dragon Well Master Grade Long Jing. Unlike the white, this green tea has a subtle aroma out of the bag. There’s something cool and clean about it, that would almost fool you into believing it’s as light as a Sencha or Gyokuro. Is that a promise a sweetness? Say it ain’t so! Dragonwell may be one of the most common types of green tea, but already there is nothing common about this fella. In the cup, we get that promised sweetness indeed, a freshwater dragon who brings on the rain.

It comes out even paler than the White Peony, surprisingly; the liquor we’ve got here is a shade you’d sooner find while hunting pearls–or marathoning Say Yes To The Dress. But hoo boy, this flavor. Your cup holds… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/26/snooty-tea-review-yezi-tea-round-1/

Very new experience to me. I put off trying this sample, since I’m not a green drinker, and wanted to do it justice. The aroma is remarkable, and the flavor astonishingly smooth. Mildly astringent, but buttery and warm. yum.

Grown in the town of Longjing, near the west Lake of the Zhe Jiang Province of China.
I brewed this in a glass teapot.
The dry leaf is beautiful. All uniform, flattened, moss green and yellow tinted raffia-like leaves. It smells so fresh, like green beans and sea salt.
The liquor is a light, light pearl green color and it smells like green beans, and butter as well.
I feel that Yezi’s quality tea and perfect steeping instructions have allowed me to enjoy the best Dragon Well that I have had. I love their instructions. They are on the money with help on best tea ware to use, temp, and amount of tea to water.
All the other Dragon Well teas that I have tried have had a lima bean note but this one does not. It is straight butter, sea salt (not seaweed), green bean notes and it’s good stuff. No astringency either,,,very smooth and creamy. Yumm

5/14/14 Yumm having some today with lunch,,,my favorite Long Jing
__________________________________________________________
5/20/14 More with lunch,,,I keep drinking it and am gonna be upset when I run out :(
6/9/14
Getting low on this :( Drinking again and it’s yum as always!!
7/9/14
Brewed this in my little 8oz kyusu this afternoon. 175 for 1 minute. Used 5 grams leaf and caught a tiny tiny amount of bitter. I might have put in too much leaf but still yummmm.
________________________________________________________________________
7/26/14
Having some more Western style this afternoon. 175F for 1:30" —definitely a keep on hand tea!!!
________________________________________________________________________
8/4/14
Gaiwan style this afternoon. Always good!! Yezi has great tea.

Flavors: Butter, Green Beans

I haven’t been on Steepster for a while! I missed it more than I thought I would :)

This was one of the teas I had some time this last weekend. I mostly had the “leftover” teas, not many new ones at all.

Anyway, this dragonwell did not disappoint, although it wasn’t close to perfection either. Dragonwells must be my favorite type of green tea. I love how they brew into this sunrise, almost pastel, yellow. And I love how they smell. This one was just as flowery as the other ones I’ve had. The flavor was surprisingly strong, usually long jings are very subtle. Perhaps I steeped it a bit too long. It had all the yummy buttery, vegetal and floral notes that make this tea so special. Thank you, Yezi Tea, for offering as many as 3 samples with your orders. That’s how I got the chance to try this one :)

Next time I order from Yezi, I would love to get some of their dragonwell but I think I will settle for the lower grade (High Grade) that is considerably cheaper. I don’t think my palate will detect that much of a difference ;)

I have had a sample of this for a little while but was waiting for the right time to try it. Now that I’m a green tea kick this seems like the perfect time! And, I followed the directions provided more than I usually do for green teas—go me!

The first steep, at 1.5 minutes, was slightly brothy and buttery, with notes of seaweed and a subtle astringency at the end. Very nice!
At 2 minutes, there was nothing more notable about it, so I’ll skip on to the 3 minute steep: it was sweet and slightly seaweedy, very pleasing and lovely. It has just enough astringency to make it assertive, just enough sweetness to mellow it out, making for a well-rounded, substantial, and very flavorful green.

This Dragon Well was delicious, and I would definitely like to have it again.

Green on the right side of the tongue and teeth. Medium dark green with a pleasing level of bitterness that is just right to me in this tea. Some burnt umber shades with a bit of deeper brown and also lighter into yellow tones in the front of the mouth.

It’s some harsh but in a way that makes you want another sip. Very pleasing. I like this dragon well. Definitely one of the best I’ve had I’d say.

170 °F / 76 °C 1 min, 30 sec 1 g 2 OZ / 50 ML

Very, very grassy, and quite astringent. I followed the brewing instructions on Yezi teas to a T (hah, geddit). The first brew was a bit too strong for me but subsequent brews mellowed out a bit and it became more enjoyable. My experience with green tea is limited, but this is a solid tea. I’d probably enjoy something with a milder flavor.

Aroma: Fresh herbaceous, sharp, damp, buttery
Color: Light yellow
Taste: Cut grass, bright, with a light sweetness.
Notes: Sharp tea, the traditional green tea flavors really shine. Not overly grassy, just the perfect amount with a subtle sweetness following it. I did feel a little bit of astringency but nothing too extreme.