Yi Fu Chun Black Tea

Chocolate, Molasses
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Yezi Tea

This smoky black loose-leaf tea is grown in the majestic Nanhu Mountain range on the outskirts of Fuqing City in the Fujian province of China. These mountains might be covered in dense fog for two hundred days a year, but one thing remains clear: for the last 250 years they have been home to some of the finest teas to come out of China.

Yi Fu Chun is an organic tea, and Yezi is proud to bring you this offering sourced, like most of our teas, directly from the farmer. You will find drinking this golden brown brew as smooth as riding in a Rolls-Royce on a newly paved highway. A light and natural sugarcane sweetness is a distinguishing characteristic of Yi Fu Chun. Notes of apple and peach add to its complex flavor.
Our Tea Farmer
Farmer Huang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, ChinaHuang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, China »
How to brew Yi Fu Chun Black Tea tea

Amount of tea in grams Temperature in °C Temperature in °F Number of brews First brew time Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F Brew: 4-5 times First brew: 20 seconds Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

Tea brewing is an art – and you are the artist! Just as a jazz musician adds individual touches to make a composition unique, you can add your own individual flourishes to make your tea stand out. The guidelines provided above are derived from two time-tested principles: 1) The more oxidized a tea, the higher the temperature you will need, and 2) Smaller tea pots allow for more control over the brewing process and are especially recommended for lighter teas. That said, we encourage you to experiment with the amount of tea you use, water temperature, tea utensils, and infusion times to conjure up your own “Aha!” moment.
Yi Fu Chun Black Tea is also known as…

Cantonese version of the name is Yat Fat Chun 一拂春茶

About Yezi Tea View company

This is fairly smooth. Gently Sweet – much like a bit of sugar cane. Towards the end of the sip I can pick up on subtle peachy notes as well. First infusions hint at a bit of smoke but additional infusions the smoke flavors are diminished.

I do like this one a great deal, tho!

mmmmmm dexter sent this my way. My other half did a sneaky thing and picked up my tea yesterday but didn’t give it to me until today – he left it on the table for me to find in the morning since he knew i was working from home today. Doctor appointment this morning so it’s easier to go there and come back home than go all the way downtown. This is another yummy tea from yezi! I am digging the sweetness that it in this cup along with a sort of malty finish. mostly though, it’s just good. like nearly every yezi tea i’ve tried. nom nom nom thanks dexter!

I’m starting the morning with a random pick from my Sil-box.
This is a gentle sweet & fruity cup, not particularly bold, but nice to savor in bed. It has a peachiness to it, a lively tongue tingle, & no astringency or bitterness. Thanks Sil

I just got another round of Yezi teas in the mail and this is one of the samples I asked for. It’s definitely the lightest of all the teas I’ve tried from them. Still very flavorful but a little fruitier and less malty. A nice light afternoon tea. Super dooper smooth. Not smoky in my opinion. Definite hints of sugarcane. Overall yummy cup.

ETA: Second steep really strong peach notes! Can’t believe I can actually taste that. Really enjoying this one.

Back-story: My mother was a gourmet chef for many years and my father is an epicure; both of them have graduate degrees in the natural sciences (ie: they like the best quality foods). Needless to say, I was truly lucky and grew up with amazing food and drinks my entire life.

Before becoming vegan (about ten years ago), my favorite dessert that my mother would make was this homemade flan that knocks the socks off of the most stubborn flan haters. A perfect balance of caramel and vanilla with a mouth-feel that is almost indescribable (I guess “like buttah” will do for now…), this flan was my favorite dessert of all time. I brought some of my mother’s flan to a friend’s Thanksgiving one year – this friend’s family thoroughly dislikes flan – and everyone devoured it like ravenous coyotes. The two desserts that I loved the most from my father were his homemade whipped cream and his homemade chocolate mousse. Both were so incredibly rich, silky, and decadent. With all of these desserts, there was always such care taken in perfecting not only, the taste, but also, the presentation. Enjoying them was always just special. :)

This tea… this tea reminds me of those three desserts. As someone who no longer consumes dairy or eggs, this is an incredible treat. It’s not sweet like a flavored dessert tea, it’s just… decadent dessert. Silky, smooth, and rich; it makes me feel as though I am rewarding myself with something. I think Huang Jian is a wizard.

__Morgana__

Wonderfully described. :-)

Thanks Yezi Tea for the samples! Out of the 3 samples of black tea that I requested, this is the winner for me. It’s got a slightly smoky taste but has got a sweet, yummy taste that I can’t quite place. I could drink more of this one so whenever I get to place an order, I must remember to get this one. Funny because I almost didn’t get this one because I thought I should try one of their puerh teas since otherwise you’d have to buy a whole lot of it but thought nah, the description for this lured me in more.

Kittenna

Ooh, I hope I nabbed this one! I don’t recall…

This tea is full of warm sweet fruit notes of canned peaches and a hint of mandarin, all mixed in with buttered grains and cocoa. Really tasty and surprisingly rich considering it’s short steep time. Thanks to Dexter for a chance to sample this tea!

1tsp/150ml/90°C

Pretty sepia tinged copper brown broth

20s first scent very fruity like canned peaches, cashew butter, roasted notes, cocoa
Taste. Cocoa, peaches, butter, a sweet grain note in between polenta and oatmeal, honey, if you hold the tea in your mouth and breathe in the peach notes are very distinct and their are also hints of canned mandarins, otherwise the flavours blend into each other. the tea tastes very rich even after only 20s, it is thick and slightly buttery on the tongue.

25s fruit notes slightly brighter and stronger, more honey, cocoa, butter, a little cinnamon, less grain notes, a touch of citrus tinged floral.

40s. Cocoa, grain, malt, sharper more citrus toned fruit, honey, butter, sweet fruit lingering in background with a light floral tone.

70s. Similar to previous steep but maltier.

Sami Kelsh

Ooh, this sounds so pretty.

pyarkaaloo

your reviews are so impressive. you’re a microsteeping hero!

Good (early) morning Steepster. I’ve been a little overwhelmed with work so haven’t been around much. I’ve been drinking tea but not writing much about it. This was a sample I got when I discovered Yezi’s sample promotion (3 free samples if you pay $2.95 shipping!). I went in search of their Jin Jun Mei, and I got it, this one and their Jin Pin.

I don’t get the smoke Yezi mentions for this tea, but I do get a little tobacco bite at the back end of the sip. This won’t be a morning tea for me, but is perfect for the afternoon. What comes through the most for me is sweet harmony. Like the Everly Brothers (and RIP Phil): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8

More on my blog: http://mizzprissy.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/yi-fu-chun-yezi-tea/#more-552

Marzipan

My mom dated one of the Everly Brothers (she is from Muhlenburg Co).

MzPriss

They sang like naughty angels – that perfect harmony. Love them.

I originally had the review for this tea under Yezi’s Jin Jun Mei, which is obviously incorrect. I am putting it in its proper place, as well as making an update.

Round 1: This tea has a lovely malty flavor. I wish I could pick out some additional aromas or flavors, but alas, I cannot.

I steeped this at 205 degrees for 5 minutes. I also did a 2nd steeping for 6 min. I wish this tea was a little sweeter, but it was good. The second steeping had less maltiness and tasted more like plain tea.

Next time, I may add a teensy bit of sugar, just to see how that goes.

Round 2: I brewed 1 tsp in 3 oz of 202 degree water using very short steepings. The first was 30 then another 30, then 40.

I could barely smell or taste the maltiness from the first round. Instead, the tea smelled more grassy, and I was also picking up the scent of popcorn.

The flavor was good, but I actually preferred the stronger malty flavors from the first round.

Wow!!!! I picked a good one for Earth Day!!!!
This is from Nanhu Mountain, Fuqing City; Fujian Province, China.
Dry leaves smell sweet like molasses and they are black and gold, tiny and twisted.
I brewed this Western style.
The liquor literally smells like hot chocolate and is a deep auburn red.
The flavor is strong chocolate and cacao notes with subtle molasses. Naturally subtly sweet.
The wet leaves smell like hot chocolate too,,,is this hot chocolate? Super Good!!!!!

Happy Earth Day!!!!!!!!! Earth Day EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Think of her, and help her everyday. This is our only home.

5/23/14
Tried this on Gong Fu style today
190F 1.5 tsp 4oz water/pot
15" rinse
30" golden light liquor, cocoa notes, open wet leaves smell so cocoa chocolatey.
Taste is chocolate, subtle honey sweet.
1 minute Delicious!!! Cocoa, not malt, just subtle sweet cocoa. Rich, and good with no bitter or astringency even when I brew Western style with more leaf.
This is my very favorite tea!!
___________________________________________________________________
6/12/14
Enjoying my favorite chocolatey morning tea!!!!!!!!!!! So good. Went with less leaf per cup today, 1 tsp per 8 oz and it is still chocolately good. I think 1 1/2 tsp might just be perfect. The suggested amount is a little more leaf per cup —but I’m running low and I can’t re-order until summer in the desert is over lol.
___________________________________________________________________________
6/20/14
YUMM YUMMM my favorite tea!! Had a little sample size that I brewed Western style. The sample size is 5 grams of tea so I put the whole bit into my infuser basket for 2 cups water. Smoky, chocolatey, subtly sweet and good!
___________________________________________________________________________
7/8/14
Western style this morning with the recommended 3 tsp tea per 8oz. This creates the chocolatey effect. You can re-steep these leaves lots too since it is so much leaf. I make iced tea after I enjoy my hot tea to get good use out of them!! YUmm this tea!!!

chun (Chun) = Springtime (春) 1; or Rich or Winey (醇) 2; or precious (see Zhen)
Yi – ?
Fu – in the context of heicha, short for Fu Zhuan, but this syllable has dozens of meanings in Chinese

Flavors: Chocolate, Molasses