Yi Fu Chun Black Tea

Cannabis, Cocoa, Grain, Malt, Chocolate, Molasses
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Yezi Tea

This smoky black loose-leaf tea is grown in the majestic Nanhu Mountain range on the outskirts of Fuqing City in the Fujian province of China. These mountains might be covered in dense fog for two hundred days a year, but one thing remains clear: for the last 250 years they have been home to some of the finest teas to come out of China.

Yi Fu Chun is an organic tea, and Yezi is proud to bring you this offering sourced, like most of our teas, directly from the farmer. You will find drinking this golden brown brew as smooth as riding in a Rolls-Royce on a newly paved highway. A light and natural sugarcane sweetness is a distinguishing characteristic of Yi Fu Chun. Notes of apple and peach add to its complex flavor.
Our Tea Farmer
Farmer Huang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, ChinaHuang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, China »
How to brew Yi Fu Chun Black Tea tea

Amount of tea in grams Temperature in °C Temperature in °F Number of brews First brew time Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F Brew: 4-5 times First brew: 20 seconds Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

Tea brewing is an art – and you are the artist! Just as a jazz musician adds individual touches to make a composition unique, you can add your own individual flourishes to make your tea stand out. The guidelines provided above are derived from two time-tested principles: 1) The more oxidized a tea, the higher the temperature you will need, and 2) Smaller tea pots allow for more control over the brewing process and are especially recommended for lighter teas. That said, we encourage you to experiment with the amount of tea you use, water temperature, tea utensils, and infusion times to conjure up your own “Aha!” moment.
Yi Fu Chun Black Tea is also known as…

Cantonese version of the name is Yat Fat Chun 一拂春茶

About Yezi Tea View company

This is fairly smooth. Gently Sweet – much like a bit of sugar cane. Towards the end of the sip I can pick up on subtle peachy notes as well. First infusions hint at a bit of smoke but additional infusions the smoke flavors are diminished.

I do like this one a great deal, tho!

mmmmmm dexter sent this my way. My other half did a sneaky thing and picked up my tea yesterday but didn’t give it to me until today – he left it on the table for me to find in the morning since he knew i was working from home today. Doctor appointment this morning so it’s easier to go there and come back home than go all the way downtown. This is another yummy tea from yezi! I am digging the sweetness that it in this cup along with a sort of malty finish. mostly though, it’s just good. like nearly every yezi tea i’ve tried. nom nom nom thanks dexter!

I’m starting the morning with a random pick from my Sil-box.
This is a gentle sweet & fruity cup, not particularly bold, but nice to savor in bed. It has a peachiness to it, a lively tongue tingle, & no astringency or bitterness. Thanks Sil

I just got another round of Yezi teas in the mail and this is one of the samples I asked for. It’s definitely the lightest of all the teas I’ve tried from them. Still very flavorful but a little fruitier and less malty. A nice light afternoon tea. Super dooper smooth. Not smoky in my opinion. Definite hints of sugarcane. Overall yummy cup.

ETA: Second steep really strong peach notes! Can’t believe I can actually taste that. Really enjoying this one.

Back-story: My mother was a gourmet chef for many years and my father is an epicure; both of them have graduate degrees in the natural sciences (ie: they like the best quality foods). Needless to say, I was truly lucky and grew up with amazing food and drinks my entire life.

Before becoming vegan (about ten years ago), my favorite dessert that my mother would make was this homemade flan that knocks the socks off of the most stubborn flan haters. A perfect balance of caramel and vanilla with a mouth-feel that is almost indescribable (I guess “like buttah” will do for now…), this flan was my favorite dessert of all time. I brought some of my mother’s flan to a friend’s Thanksgiving one year – this friend’s family thoroughly dislikes flan – and everyone devoured it like ravenous coyotes. The two desserts that I loved the most from my father were his homemade whipped cream and his homemade chocolate mousse. Both were so incredibly rich, silky, and decadent. With all of these desserts, there was always such care taken in perfecting not only, the taste, but also, the presentation. Enjoying them was always just special. :)

This tea… this tea reminds me of those three desserts. As someone who no longer consumes dairy or eggs, this is an incredible treat. It’s not sweet like a flavored dessert tea, it’s just… decadent dessert. Silky, smooth, and rich; it makes me feel as though I am rewarding myself with something. I think Huang Jian is a wizard.

__Morgana__

Wonderfully described. :-)

MzPriss

LOVE this description (and this tea!) and would really love the flan recipe :)

Tea Pet

I will see if my mom actually uses a recipe for it! Hahaha! And I will report back.

Thanks Yezi Tea for the samples! Out of the 3 samples of black tea that I requested, this is the winner for me. It’s got a slightly smoky taste but has got a sweet, yummy taste that I can’t quite place. I could drink more of this one so whenever I get to place an order, I must remember to get this one. Funny because I almost didn’t get this one because I thought I should try one of their puerh teas since otherwise you’d have to buy a whole lot of it but thought nah, the description for this lured me in more.

Kittenna

Ooh, I hope I nabbed this one! I don’t recall…

Yi Fu Chun is described on Yezi’s website as a smoky black tea…I have an aversion to smokiness in tea, as I’ve been chased out of my home twice by wildfire. I don’t exactly associate smokiness with relaxing around a campfire, more like frantically trying to find pets and belongings to evacuate. SO, I was hesitant to approach this sample.

In the packet, the dry leaf smelled sweet and slightly cocoa-y…hmmm….no smoke! Okay then, steep time!

I am wonderfully surprised by this tea. Yi Fu Chun has similar notes to Fujian blacks that I have had before, but the notes are much more restrained. The bottom note is certainly a deep cocoa flavor that sits on the tongue a bit longer than the sip lasts in your mouth. Then comes mid notes of slight malt/grain/cannabis. The top note is a touch of floral, though I can’t quite place it through my allergies today. It is a similar profile to LB by Verdant and Bailin Gongfu by TeaVivre, but dialed in for a warm summer day. I am appreciating the delicateness of these sometimes cloying notes in the humid (yes, today it is humid. Global weather patterns are weirder and weirder these days) summer day in the Southern California arid heat.

Flavors: Cannabis, Cocoa, Grain, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
Lee

I got a really large “bowl-like” infuser basket for Western brewing to let my tea really brew evenly for Western style. I tried this one this morning with the new infuser and it brought out lots more smoky notes than I had in the past. Still had its good ole cocoa and subtle sweet too,,,love this tea!!

MzPriss commented yesterday that she liked this better than the Jin Jun Mei. BETTER than Jin Jun Mei? Ok – that’s all I needed to hear for this to become my “inspired by my dashboard” tea of the day.
OMG she’s RIGHT. This is amazing, fantastic, everything I LOVE about Fujian Black tea.
I was at work and I drank about 7 mugs of it through out the day. I don’t measure or time at work – some had long steeps, some had short steeps, some more leaf, some less. Every steep was different, and yet every steep was wonderful in it’s own way. Less steep time, lighter, brighter more fruity. Longer steep times, deep, dark, bitter chocolate. It reacted exactly as it should have. You can pretty much do anything to this tea and it will handle it. If you don’t like it, play with the steep parameters, it changes greatly with steep time. This is very close to being my perfect black tea. Thank you MzPriss for the inspiration.

MzPriss

Oh I’m so glad you liked it! I liked it so much I ordered some after my samples. If it wasn’t close to bedtime, I would have some.

Yezi Tea

This is one of my favorites also, but my husband is totally crazy for this tea :) I have to make a cup of Yi Fu Chun every morning before he leaves apartment. He claims he can’t function without it…

This tea is full of warm sweet fruit notes of canned peaches and a hint of mandarin, all mixed in with buttered grains and cocoa. Really tasty and surprisingly rich considering it’s short steep time. Thanks to Dexter for a chance to sample this tea!

1tsp/150ml/90°C

Pretty sepia tinged copper brown broth

20s first scent very fruity like canned peaches, cashew butter, roasted notes, cocoa
Taste. Cocoa, peaches, butter, a sweet grain note in between polenta and oatmeal, honey, if you hold the tea in your mouth and breathe in the peach notes are very distinct and their are also hints of canned mandarins, otherwise the flavours blend into each other. the tea tastes very rich even after only 20s, it is thick and slightly buttery on the tongue.

25s fruit notes slightly brighter and stronger, more honey, cocoa, butter, a little cinnamon, less grain notes, a touch of citrus tinged floral.

40s. Cocoa, grain, malt, sharper more citrus toned fruit, honey, butter, sweet fruit lingering in background with a light floral tone.

70s. Similar to previous steep but maltier.

Sami Kelsh

Ooh, this sounds so pretty.

pyarkaaloo

your reviews are so impressive. you’re a microsteeping hero!

Someone mentioned sugar cane for this tea and I have to agree. It does have a really mellow sugar cane, malt and fruity waft up the nose. Still REALLY like this tea!