Yi Fu Chun Black Tea

Honey, Molasses, Peach, Peanut, Smoke, Cannabis, Cocoa, Grain, Malt, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Yezi Tea

This smoky black loose-leaf tea is grown in the majestic Nanhu Mountain range on the outskirts of Fuqing City in the Fujian province of China. These mountains might be covered in dense fog for two hundred days a year, but one thing remains clear: for the last 250 years they have been home to some of the finest teas to come out of China.

Yi Fu Chun is an organic tea, and Yezi is proud to bring you this offering sourced, like most of our teas, directly from the farmer. You will find drinking this golden brown brew as smooth as riding in a Rolls-Royce on a newly paved highway. A light and natural sugarcane sweetness is a distinguishing characteristic of Yi Fu Chun. Notes of apple and peach add to its complex flavor.
Our Tea Farmer
Farmer Huang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, ChinaHuang Jian, Nanhu Mountain, Fujian, China »
How to brew Yi Fu Chun Black Tea tea

Amount of tea in grams Temperature in °C Temperature in °F Number of brews First brew time Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F Brew: 4-5 times First brew: 20 seconds Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

Tea brewing is an art – and you are the artist! Just as a jazz musician adds individual touches to make a composition unique, you can add your own individual flourishes to make your tea stand out. The guidelines provided above are derived from two time-tested principles: 1) The more oxidized a tea, the higher the temperature you will need, and 2) Smaller tea pots allow for more control over the brewing process and are especially recommended for lighter teas. That said, we encourage you to experiment with the amount of tea you use, water temperature, tea utensils, and infusion times to conjure up your own “Aha!” moment.
Yi Fu Chun Black Tea is also known as…

Cantonese version of the name is Yat Fat Chun 一拂春茶

About Yezi Tea View company

This tea is full of warm sweet fruit notes of canned peaches and a hint of mandarin, all mixed in with buttered grains and cocoa. Really tasty and surprisingly rich considering it’s short steep time. Thanks to Dexter for a chance to sample this tea!

1tsp/150ml/90°C

Pretty sepia tinged copper brown broth

20s first scent very fruity like canned peaches, cashew butter, roasted notes, cocoa
Taste. Cocoa, peaches, butter, a sweet grain note in between polenta and oatmeal, honey, if you hold the tea in your mouth and breathe in the peach notes are very distinct and their are also hints of canned mandarins, otherwise the flavours blend into each other. the tea tastes very rich even after only 20s, it is thick and slightly buttery on the tongue.

25s fruit notes slightly brighter and stronger, more honey, cocoa, butter, a little cinnamon, less grain notes, a touch of citrus tinged floral.

40s. Cocoa, grain, malt, sharper more citrus toned fruit, honey, butter, sweet fruit lingering in background with a light floral tone.

70s. Similar to previous steep but maltier.

Sami Kelsh

Ooh, this sounds so pretty.

pyarkaaloo

your reviews are so impressive. you’re a microsteeping hero!

Someone mentioned sugar cane for this tea and I have to agree. It does have a really mellow sugar cane, malt and fruity waft up the nose. Still REALLY like this tea!

I originally had the review for this tea under Yezi’s Jin Jun Mei, which is obviously incorrect. I am putting it in its proper place, as well as making an update.

Round 1: This tea has a lovely malty flavor. I wish I could pick out some additional aromas or flavors, but alas, I cannot.

I steeped this at 205 degrees for 5 minutes. I also did a 2nd steeping for 6 min. I wish this tea was a little sweeter, but it was good. The second steeping had less maltiness and tasted more like plain tea.

Next time, I may add a teensy bit of sugar, just to see how that goes.

Round 2: I brewed 1 tsp in 3 oz of 202 degree water using very short steepings. The first was 30 then another 30, then 40.

I could barely smell or taste the maltiness from the first round. Instead, the tea smelled more grassy, and I was also picking up the scent of popcorn.

The flavor was good, but I actually preferred the stronger malty flavors from the first round.

Wow!!!! I picked a good one for Earth Day!!!!
This is from Nanhu Mountain, Fuqing City; Fujian Province, China.
Dry leaves smell sweet like molasses and they are black and gold, tiny and twisted.
I brewed this Western style.
The liquor literally smells like hot chocolate and is a deep auburn red.
The flavor is strong chocolate and cacao notes with subtle molasses. Naturally subtly sweet.
The wet leaves smell like hot chocolate too,,,is this hot chocolate? Super Good!!!!!

Happy Earth Day!!!!!!!!! Earth Day EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Think of her, and help her everyday. This is our only home.

5/23/14
Tried this on Gong Fu style today
190F 1.5 tsp 4oz water/pot
15" rinse
30" golden light liquor, cocoa notes, open wet leaves smell so cocoa chocolatey.
Taste is chocolate, subtle honey sweet.
1 minute Delicious!!! Cocoa, not malt, just subtle sweet cocoa. Rich, and good with no bitter or astringency even when I brew Western style with more leaf.
This is my very favorite tea!!
___________________________________________________________________
6/12/14
Enjoying my favorite chocolatey morning tea!!!!!!!!!!! So good. Went with less leaf per cup today, 1 tsp per 8 oz and it is still chocolately good. I think 1 1/2 tsp might just be perfect. The suggested amount is a little more leaf per cup —but I’m running low and I can’t re-order until summer in the desert is over lol.
___________________________________________________________________________
6/20/14
YUMM YUMMM my favorite tea!! Had a little sample size that I brewed Western style. The sample size is 5 grams of tea so I put the whole bit into my infuser basket for 2 cups water. Smoky, chocolatey, subtly sweet and good!
___________________________________________________________________________
7/8/14
Western style this morning with the recommended 3 tsp tea per 8oz. This creates the chocolatey effect. You can re-steep these leaves lots too since it is so much leaf. I make iced tea after I enjoy my hot tea to get good use out of them!! YUmm this tea!!!
_________________________________________________________________________
7/21/14
Brewed Western style today. I got a huge “bowl-like” infuser basket to allow tea leaves to be really free and to swim and evenly brew the teas I have when I brew Western style. Now with Yi Fu Chun, changing this brew basket did bring out more smokiness than I have tasted in the past but still has my yummy cocoa and subtle sweet notes.
__________________________________________________________________________
7/26/14
Yep,,,drinking it again bc it’s so good!!!!!!!!!

chun (Chun) = Springtime (春) 1; or Rich or Winey (醇) 2; or precious (see Zhen)
Yi – ?
Fu – in the context of heicha, short for Fu Zhuan, but this syllable has dozens of meanings in Chinese

Flavors: Chocolate, Molasses

donkeytiara

your updates are wonderful and so useful! I recently got a sample of this tea, but always steep western and there were no instructions on the Yezi website for this…thank you for all your update posts as they helped me figure out my steep time for today. :)

Lee

Thanks!! If u scroll down on the Yezi page for each of their teas, the instructions are in those brown squares on the bottom but you might not see them if you don’t scroll down, lol.

I didn’t know what to pick out to sip this morning, and was looking through my giant box of Dexter3657 tea’s and saw this one. Black tea? Yes please.

I thought I had under-leafed because the colour seemed a little light, but the aroma was strongly sweet. The taste was light, but naturally sweet. I didn’t pick up any fruit or peach notes, but I’m in the process of brewing cup 2, so hopefully this time I’ll find it. Despite that, I still think this is a delicious tea, but something that I would save for later in the day.

Thank you Dexter3657 for a sample of this yummy tea!

Dexter

YAY!!! Glad you liked it :))

scribbles

You’ve sent me some amazing teas – Thank You!!
:))

Woo! This sipdown puts me at 200 teas. That’s about 52 sipdowns since the 19th. HOLY SMOKES.

It helps that they were pretty much all one-cup size, but still. #PatsSelfOnBackProfusely :D

Now to get down to 150 in the next month! It’ll be harder since a lot of my little samples are gone, but, it’s nice to have goals!

And this was a free sample from Yezi! I think it’s my least favourite of the three, but it still is a nice straight black. Smooth, a little malty, and a little sweet – quite enjoyable, but for some reason not quite worthy of poetic prose like the other two. Still, I recommend Yezi teas! You can tell they are high quality, and worthy of many steeps!

Dexter

WOW Good job. 52 is lots…

hmmm i’ve never tried this one. thought i’d gone through all of their blacks. damn now i need to drink those up too so i can place another order!

Dexter

According to my cupboard, I have some of this. If you so – I can send some in your next package….

that would be great dex! no rush obviously

Thanks to Yezi Tea for a sample of this delicious black! Upon opening the sample, I was greeted by a wonderful chocolatey aroma. The tea doesn’t disappoint, and is an excellent example of a lovely, chocolatey, full-bodied black. No astringency, just delicious flavour. Perhaps not the best example of a tea with this flavour profile, but certainly up there. I’d need to compare it with others to really tell.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sweet and smooth, I taste molasses mixed with peach. It has an interesting flavor and I am glad I tried it.

205 °F / 96 °C