White Peony Master Grade Bai Mu Dan

White Tea
Floral, Hay, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Dry, the White Peony Master Grade Bai Mu Dan gives us sweet trees right off the bat. Maybe it’s the Christmas season getting to us (whatever happened to Thanksgiving?), but you can almost detect a...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “One of three samples I requested. Steeped for 3-4 minutes with water just under a boil. The liquor is amber/golden and very fragrant with a medium/long finish. Very clean and pure with no...” Read full tasting note
    dmatley 5 tasting notes
  • “This is my first ever white tea. I've always been drawn to the descriptors used to talk about it - delicate, flowery, sweet _(to be honest, I feel the same way about Pinot Grigio and yet I haven't...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 366 tasting notes
  • “This is the last of the three samples I sampled from Yezi. Love it! It is floral and sightly nutty. And the finish I can only describe as...buttery. I am on my second steep and it hasn't lost any...” Read full tasting note
    Kissadilla 53 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

This light and delicate loose-leaf tea comes from the Jian’ou County of the Fujian province of China, and Yezi’s is brought to you by local farmer Yu Qizhao.

The White Peony is only produced from tea leaves picked in the springtime, and the young leaves are gently dried in the sun on bamboo trays. The brew is a natural yellow color and has distinct notes of almond. The tea is low in caffeine and makes for a quiet, pleasant, and meditative evening companion.

Use: 4-5 grams or 3-4 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 2 oz. of water
Temperature: 85-90 °C or 185-194 °F
Brew: 3-4 times
First brew: 1:00 minutes:seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 15 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

Dry, the White Peony Master Grade Bai Mu Dan gives us sweet trees right off the bat. Maybe it’s the Christmas season getting to us (whatever happened to Thanksgiving?), but you can almost detect a hint of pine.

And then you steep it.

This tea explodes out of the cup. The fragrance is incredible as soon as the hot water hits, suffusing the air with flowers tightly enclosed within their pre-spring buds. Wow. From the eggshell-pale liquor, you get… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/26/snooty-tea-review-yezi-tea-round-1/

One of three samples I requested. Steeped for 3-4 minutes with water just under a boil. The liquor is amber/golden and very fragrant with a medium/long finish. Very clean and pure with no bitterness and just the slightest touch of sweetness.

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 30 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is my first ever white tea. I’ve always been drawn to the descriptors used to talk about it – delicate, flowery, sweet (to be honest, I feel the same way about Pinot Grigio and yet I haven’t found one I’ve liked). So when I found that Yezi Tea was offering three free samples of my choice, I knew that this would be one of them.

The first thing I noticed about this tea is how large and lightweight the leaves are – I got about three times as much tea by volume for the same weight as my other two teas (an oolong and jasmine pearls). The small sample packet did not include brewing instructions, so I poked around on various tea sellers’ sites and found a good brewing recommendation.

When I first tasted the brew, I knew I liked it but was unsure how to go about describing the taste. There was a touch of floral and a subtle sweetness (which I accented by adding the teensiest amount of sugar), but the main flavor eluded me. I decided to poke around and see what other Steepsters had to say about Bai Mu Dan in general, and then I found exactly the descriptor I was looking for: hay. The smells and tastes chiefly of fresh hay (not the nasty rotting-in-a-pile-in-the-corner kind!). This is not necessarily a flavor profile I have encountered before, and I find it very warming and comforting, which surprises me considering this is such a light tea.

Overall, I don’t feel qualified to give this tea a numerical rating, considering I have nothing to compare it to, but I do enjoy it immensely and I can’t wait to try other varieties and sellers to see the difference. And now I REALLY can’t wait to try that Butiki Cantaloupe & Cream blend that I’ve been eyeing!

Flavors: Floral, Hay, Sweet

Terri HarpLady

Welcome to Steepster!
I almost never give any tea a rating. No matter how long I drink tea, I just don’t have a consistent idea of how I would rate things, or on what basis. Add to that, I like almost everything I drink, with the exception of flavored teas that friends send me, which I sample but generally don’t purchase, although I do enjoy some of them. On the other hand, some of Butiki’s flavored teas are awesome! :)

Cameron B.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I have heard so many good things about Butiki, I can’t wait to order some of their stuff.

TheTeaFairy

I also had white peony tonight, delicious, and yes, hay!!!

Cantaloup & Cream is certainly one of the best flavoured tea available, you won’t regret it.

Terri HarpLady

I’m partial to the watermelon xylophone :)

Cameron B.

Yeah, Butiki has about a million teas that I want to try… >>’

This is the last of the three samples I sampled from Yezi. Love it! It is floral and sightly nutty. And the finish I can only describe as…buttery. I am on my second steep and it hasn’t lost any flavor.