Shui Xian Da Hong Pao Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I really should get a mug warmer. I like my tea hot! and this tea is especially good while its hot. But alas, my current cup is tepid. I do all the after dinner chores and I think its safe to make...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 471 tasting notes
  • “I brought this to work, which was probably a mistake. The first hit of the really fine aroma caused me to stop working so I could concentrate my full attention on the tea. It deserved it. ...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 106 tasting notes
  • “Just what I've been searching for. I'm only on the first steeping, but I haven't found any hint of the bitterness mentioned in the description. The flavor actually seems to improve as the cup...” Read full tasting note
    mugger 53 tasting notes
  • “Sadly, it has been a while since I've had the time to post a tasting note. But what a perfect way to get back into my semester at school, by taking the time to sit down and drink a complex oolong....” Read full tasting note
    PlutoCow 15 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Grown on a rich carpet of lichens and moss on the highest peaks of the Wuyi Mountains, The Big Red Robe carries the fragrance of osmanthus blossoms. With its gorgeous body, which evokes the lush spring orchids of the Wuyi region, The Big Red Robe is renowned for its rolling rhythm: each infusion brings forth a new flavor, a new fragrance. The tea is bitter and smooth at the same time, and the dark orange brew is filled out with notes of narcissus. Like all our other teas, Yezi’s Big Red Robe is grown organically and locally and is brought to you by tea farmer Wu Qiong from the Wu Yi Shan farms.

Use: 4-5 grams or 2-3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 30ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 2 oz. of water
Temperature: 95-100 °C or 203-212 °F
Brew: 4-5 times
First brew: 45 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10-15 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

I really should get a mug warmer. I like my tea hot! and this tea is especially good while its hot. But alas, my current cup is tepid. I do all the after dinner chores and I think its safe to make tea. But then one of my seven pets gets into trouble, makes a mess, vomits, it’s always something. If its not the pets then its my husband, asking me to make him tea after I already made mine. Then I have to go to the bathroom. And of course, there will always be some chore that I forgot that I can’t leave undone. Same thing every night. About the only time I get hot tea is in the morning before school when I’m in such a hurry that I sip it carefully while too hot and end up not having time to finish the cup before I have to go.

TheTeaFairy

Shelley, I feel exhausted after reading this, lol! YOU DESERVE HOT TEA!
Have you thought about double walled ceramic travel mugs? I use them at home when I know I’ll be having a situation similar as yours… I like them cause they don’t hold the aftertaste that most travel mugs retain.

Shelley_Lorraine

i don’t have any travel mugs yet because I haven’t found one that really speaks to me. Do the ceramic ones come in smaller “normal” mug sizes? I know larger size means hotter for longer, but I just don’t enjoy tea as much out of a super-size mug. :)

TheTeaFairy

Mine is 16oz, and I never saw a small one, you’re right, but I’m pretty sure the standard is more like 12oz, mine is really big…keep looking, ya never know :-)

Shelley_Lorraine

I’ll get a tall travel mug for traveling sometime, but at home I prefer the feel of a 10-12oz mug with a normal mug shape and handle. its cozier. :) It’s ironic that my husband likes really huge and heavy mugs, but he doesn’t like his drinks as hot as I like mine. Those giant mugs of his keep his drinks hot for so long though! lol.

Dr Jim

One trick to try is to just put a piece of paper on the top of the mug while you are busy. Something like half of the heat loss is due to evaporation and this will stop when the vapor under the paper reaches equilibrium.

Shelley_Lorraine

I’ll have to try that next time. Thanks :)

I brought this to work, which was probably a mistake. The first hit of the really fine aroma caused me to stop working so I could concentrate my full attention on the tea. It deserved it. several steeps took a big chunk of time out of my day, but this tea required my full attention. It’s one of the best teas I’ve had in a while.

1st steep (1 min): Rich aroma; spice with a bit of honey. Really nice. The taste is deep and rich in a spicy, medium-roast style. The flavor comes in waves, ending in a powerful, long finish.

I’m afraid that I was too wrapped up in the tea to continue writing. Suffice it to say that I had two more excellent steeps and a few others that were weak, a bit less exciting, but still very enjoyable.

Just what I’ve been searching for. I’m only on the first steeping, but I haven’t found any hint of the bitterness mentioned in the description. The flavor actually seems to improve as the cup cools, with each sip more quickly revealing the perfect mouthfeel and aftertaste. The aroma is very savory, with a slightly earthy and mineral undertone. It tastes a lot like it smells, but giving each sip time to develop on your tongue really cements this as an excellent tea. Only the second Yezi I’ve tried, but I think I’m fast becoming a fan. Will probably add another tasting note once I’ve resteeped.

Sadly, it has been a while since I’ve had the time to post a tasting note. But what a perfect way to get back into my semester at school, by taking the time to sit down and drink a complex oolong. I overleafed for my teeeeeeny gaiwan, but compensated with extra short steepings.
First steeping: Very sweet, lingering flavor. It sticks around on the back of my tongue for ages. It’s a kind of savory tea, it makes my mouth water a little drinking it.
Second steeping: More vegetal. I feel this one in the middle and tip of my tongue. There’s a layer of floral spice to it, as if cinnamon were extracted from flower petals.
Third steeping: Oof, I must have steeped this one too long. It’s very bitter and astringent. Gonna gulp it down quick and start on infusion four.
Fourth steeping: It’s starting to get more one dimensional. There’s one sharp flavorful note, but the other undercurrents of flavor have kind of disappeared. May stop with this one.

May thanks to Yezi Tea for providing me with this sample.

Dark oolong that is amber in color and has an aroma that draws you in. This tea has a nice honey sweetness and the flavors I am getting are a little fruity with a mix strawberry and apricot. On the back end I taste a subtle flavor of a light oolong with floral and vegetal notes. The taste of this tea is quite complex and very delicious.

205 °F / 96 °C

I just love Wu Yi teas. When I was growing up my mom would take me to the mall and when you first entered the big stores the perfume counter was front and center. I hated it, still do, the overbearing scents that got caught up my schnozzola making me sneeze. But, leave it to the tea plant to seduce me into the fragrances of flowery perfumes that do not make me sneeze or regret inhaling their intoxicant.

Raspberry was the first aroma of the dry leaf in my cup. 5g sample (my last) in a 150ml gaiwan, brewed to Yezi’s guidelines. The wet leaf aromas were so inviting I scalded my tongue a bit sipping the beautifully light brown liquor. The raspberry is still present in the flavor as well as the honeysuckle, gardenia perfumes. But there was something else, I recollect smelling this in Amsterdam at a “coffee” house. All great memories. The flavors are a match to the aromas except for the raspberry, it now took on a medjool taste. In subsequent steepings a hint of tobacco made its presence and the party was in full swing. I managed eight good steeps with four being the best. Next for me are the Yezi red teas, oh boy I can’t wait.

Some people sleepwalk, apparently I sleep tea order. I totally have an email confirmation for this from four days ago, but only vaguely remember ordering it. But it showed up today.

It was a quiet day at work (calm before the storm) and I shut down early and decided to Gong Fu this. Five infusions later, I love it. I can’t say it’s so very different from the Eastern Beauty from Green Terrace, but that could just be my untrained taste buds. It was all yummy and honey fruity awesomeness though. I would definitely order it again.

Cheri

Sleep tea order. Too funny!

TheTeaFairy

I might be suffering from the same affliction then, marzi…that would explain things.

Cameron B.

I’m really excited to try more oxidized oolongs! Definitely going to pick up a couple from Stacy during her sale. :) That Gui Fei in particular sounds wonderful.

Terri HarpLady

Sleep tea ordering disorder? Without a doubt, I’m a fellow sufferer…I also occasionally go into a Tea Ordering Trance,

christeana1

Butiki is having a sale!?

Ubacat

I think that sleep tea order thing is contagious on Steepster! I’ve done it!

sherapop

You are too funny, Marzipan! It’s true: tea-site surfing late at night can be dangerous…

Stephanie