Jin Jun Mei Black Tea

Creamy, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Smoked, Sweet Potatoes, Toasted, Earth, Baked Bread, Honey, Grapes, Orchid, Wood, Caramel, Smooth, Chocolate, Floral, Sweet, Apple, Apple Skins, Apricot, Smoke, Stewed Fruits, Cocoa, Nuts, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it's not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping. As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time - I just don't get much out of these short steep teas when I do...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 523 tasting notes
  • “This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I've had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea--it's overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I've gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around. But we can be thankful for the little Jin Jun Mei that is available every year. This loose-leaf tea, like no other, engages your senses at multiples levels: with its complex taste, whose body and rhythm evolve for as many as fifteen brews; its fragrance, which evokes a world of faraway orchids; and the tea leaves themselves, which are shaped like eyebrows perched neatly over dove-shaped eyes.

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Temperature: 80-85 °C or 176-185 °F
Brew: 5-6 times
First brew: 15 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it’s not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I’m really enjoying the Yezi teas!

Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping.

As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time – I just don’t get much out of these short steep teas when I do them as recommended. I steeped 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water that was just off boiling. It was fantastic! Lightly malty and sweet with a bit of dust.

I have not tried any Jin Jun Mei from any other companies so I have no basis for comparison in that regard. I have other malty teas that I am equally pleased with so it wouldn’t be a must keep around tea, but if I were placing an order from Yezi, I’d certainly throw this into the cart.

I’ll try resteeping later and see if my unorthodox steeping method harmed the potential for resteeps. :)

Ysaurella

it looks like an interesting tea

Nicole

Well, unsurprisingly perhaps, it doesn’t resteep as well when you do it for a long time on the first go. :) It’s still good, but definitely less malty and less sweet. Still a smooth tea with no bitterness or dryness.

yyz

Short times for blacks often scare me too, but I have one Jinjunmei for which this is my preferred brew time boiling water, 5 second steep, than a slow pour from my yixing sized pot. It resulted in a rich red brew and a caramel like flavour.

Nicole

I shall have to try as recommended. Sometimes the merchants might know their product I suppose… :)

Ysaurella

;) sure but I’m like you, I am suspiscious with short steeps for black teas

yyz

I always try it with a small amount first, ie. make 1/2 a cup or less, so that if it doesn’t work out for me I’m not that disappointed. I find it tends to work best with very tippy blacks, but that is just my experience so far.

This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I’ve had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still enjoyable for sure. It’s not as sweet as I’d like it to be, more of a dry flavor and more woodsy, but still very smooth and complex in flavor. I like the Qing Ping and the High Mountain ones better, though. I have the Jin Pin left to try. Overall, I’m very pleased with Yezi teas.

Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea—it’s overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I’ve gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and I’ve busted my butt all week so I can work slowly today, not too much to do. Tomorrow’s Courtney’s bridal shower, and soon I’ve got to put the finishing touches on our 2 final wedding trips for October. Yesterday’s news of the Pope has me feeling hopeful and surprised still. Working through Breaking Bad and reading today from the Times they’re auctioning off set memorabilia makes me sad and affectionate all over again about Gale’s notebook and Walt Whitman’s poetry—his books always seem to be inscribed and weirdly pivotal to people (Remember Monica Lewinsky’s copy? Right around when that was happening I was in the hospital for an extended stay and the one thing I remember my mom bringing me that helped me get through it was my well worn underlined and margin-annotated copy of Leaves of Grass. Then there’s Dead Poets Society…). Anyway, feeling pretty good.

These leaves are pretty dry, long and golden. There’s a satisfying quality to this tea that works really well with my mood and the weather. It’s got hints of woody astringency like a darjeeling/Nepali tea, but it’s also smooth and carby (while staying medium-bodied, not too thick) with a faint orchid thing going on. As it cools to tepid, it gets quite noticeably sweeter which I like.

Thank you Yezi Tea for a free sample of this tea!

This tea tastes very much like Zhen Qu from Butiki. It has the same honey notes that I usually interpret as mushroom flavored. It is a delicate black tea, not the least bit bitter or astringent. This is a good quality tea, but not the type of black tea that I personally favor.

This sample comes from KiwiDelight. Thank you!

I tried this back in December when i was first starting to taste straight black teas. It is interesting to read what I thought of it then. I am really enjoying this tonight. I didn’t realize this was such a rare tea. This is coca, with hints of caramel and honey. It is really hitting the spot! Thank you for sharing one of your favorite KiwiDelight. I am glad I got to try this one again.

TheTeaFairy

This is expensive, I keep only one brand in stock. So good!

Always a pleasure to share favorites :3

My second black tea of the morning came from KiwiDelight. I’ve had several Jin Jun Mei teas before and enjoyed them, so I requested this one in our swap. The leaves are familiar – small, thin, wiry, and mostly gold in color. Dry scent is strong malt with some sweetness and molasses tones. I steeped a heaping teaspoon for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once brewed, this tea smells rather savory with strong malt and grain aromas. This reminds me of another Jin Jun Mei I had in that it has a nice savory smoked meat flavor to it. However, it’s not the main flavor in this tea. I get a strong toasty grain note along with a nice creamy texture and together, they remind me of white tea. There’s an underlying richness that makes me think of molasses and it helps to deepen the overall flavor. I can taste a touch of sweet potato as well. Overall, a lovely savory tea with layers of flavor.

Flavors: Creamy, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Smoked, Sweet Potatoes, Toasted

KiwiDelight

oooo coincidence! I’m drinking the Jin Jun Mei from Teasenz.

Cameron B.

Ooh that one is yummy too! :D

I’m going to write a note soon :3

This is the only non-sample sized tea I got in my Yezi Tea order. Thought I’d like this one best. But gotta admit, kinda disappointed by this one.
It’s pretty earthy above all. Once you get past that you begin tasting sweet potatoes. But mostly just earthiness. It will probably grow on me since I have an ounce of it, but…it’s just alright for me right now.

Flavors: Earth, Sweet Potatoes

I have never written a note on this tea! That is not good haha because I loveee this tea. Yesterday I was going through my cupboard and found this one and thought yeah, I want that tomorrow. So I made it for the morning at work today. Yes, the flavors are a bit muted from the travel mug, but this is a delicious light black tea just dripping with honey flavor. Like this is a HONEY tea. A favorite black tea of mine that I definitely do not drink often enough. This is fresh honey from the comb on toast with creamy butter underneath. Or a cup of cream mixed with honey. Whatever it is, honey is the dominant note and it is just so yummmm.

In other news, I am still ridiculously tired..I think my sleep schedule got messed up beyond repair with the long weekend (late nights, relatively early mornings) as well as the cat waking me up with his meowing at various times in the night (different each day, sometimes 2 am, 3 am, 4 am….ughhh). This weekend hopefully I can recuperate and fix up my body, I am zonked at work again.

Back to the tea briefly, overall, a delicious tea that I highly recommend!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Creamy, Honey

Cheri

I hate when the cat does that. Usually only when I really need a good night’s sleep does that happen.

NofarS

Oh, my cat does that to me too sometimes, and he does have a tendency to do it during nights when I’m super tired, or when I need to wake early the next morning.

MissLena

Haha my cat unfortunately is in the habit of doing it EVERY night…I might have to keep him in the basement a few nights until he gets out of it lol it’s gradually building up to a mountain of tiredness. :( ah the things we put up with for our cats lol

darby

I love honey! I can’t wait to try this.

I am having the same issues with Yezi samples as I had with Butiki samples ages ago….I’m making weak tea. waaaaaaaaaah!! This time the victim was Jin Jun Mei. I didn’t even post about my attempt with Ming Hong, because I was so disappointed with the outcome. But I’ve decided to forge ahead with this review because I even though weak, I can still pick up on some fascinating business happening in this cup of tea.
Yes, it looks like a Yunnan…a dian hong perhaps… but this tea has a few notes that certainly separate it from that crowd. There is a smoothness to this tea that holds a touch of astringency, which is different from most of the Yunnans it resembles. Bottom notes of chocolate and sweet potato skin form a solid base for the woodsy grainy smoothness that sits in the middle of this tea’s flavor profile. Top notes are a touch of orchid and perhaps a touch of grape skin, which is where I’m getting the touch of astringency from. All these notes are very subtle in my cup (due to a bad steep) but they are there, creating a layered intricate tea with much to offer the person holding the cup. Even if they do mess it up….

Flavors: Grain, Grapes, Orchid, Sweet Potatoes, Wood