Jin Jun Mei Black Tea

Caramel, Cocoa, Grapes, Honey, Nuts, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it's not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping. As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time - I just don't get much out of these short steep teas when I do...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 428 tasting notes
  • “This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I've had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 357 tasting notes
  • “Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea--it's overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I've gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 608 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around. But we can be thankful for the little Jin Jun Mei that is available every year. This loose-leaf tea, like no other, engages your senses at multiples levels: with its complex taste, whose body and rhythm evolve for as many as fifteen brews; its fragrance, which evokes a world of faraway orchids; and the tea leaves themselves, which are shaped like eyebrows perched neatly over dove-shaped eyes.

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Temperature: 80-85 °C or 176-185 °F
Brew: 5-6 times
First brew: 15 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it’s not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I’m really enjoying the Yezi teas!

Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping.

As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time – I just don’t get much out of these short steep teas when I do them as recommended. I steeped 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water that was just off boiling. It was fantastic! Lightly malty and sweet with a bit of dust.

I have not tried any Jin Jun Mei from any other companies so I have no basis for comparison in that regard. I have other malty teas that I am equally pleased with so it wouldn’t be a must keep around tea, but if I were placing an order from Yezi, I’d certainly throw this into the cart.

I’ll try resteeping later and see if my unorthodox steeping method harmed the potential for resteeps. :)

Ysaurella

it looks like an interesting tea

Nicole

Well, unsurprisingly perhaps, it doesn’t resteep as well when you do it for a long time on the first go. :) It’s still good, but definitely less malty and less sweet. Still a smooth tea with no bitterness or dryness.

yyz

Short times for blacks often scare me too, but I have one Jinjunmei for which this is my preferred brew time boiling water, 5 second steep, than a slow pour from my yixing sized pot. It resulted in a rich red brew and a caramel like flavour.

Nicole

I shall have to try as recommended. Sometimes the merchants might know their product I suppose… :)

Ysaurella

;) sure but I’m like you, I am suspiscious with short steeps for black teas

yyz

I always try it with a small amount first, ie. make 1/2 a cup or less, so that if it doesn’t work out for me I’m not that disappointed. I find it tends to work best with very tippy blacks, but that is just my experience so far.

This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I’ve had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still enjoyable for sure. It’s not as sweet as I’d like it to be, more of a dry flavor and more woodsy, but still very smooth and complex in flavor. I like the Qing Ping and the High Mountain ones better, though. I have the Jin Pin left to try. Overall, I’m very pleased with Yezi teas.

Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea—it’s overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I’ve gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and I’ve busted my butt all week so I can work slowly today, not too much to do. Tomorrow’s Courtney’s bridal shower, and soon I’ve got to put the finishing touches on our 2 final wedding trips for October. Yesterday’s news of the Pope has me feeling hopeful and surprised still. Working through Breaking Bad and reading today from the Times they’re auctioning off set memorabilia makes me sad and affectionate all over again about Gale’s notebook and Walt Whitman’s poetry—his books always seem to be inscribed and weirdly pivotal to people (Remember Monica Lewinsky’s copy? Right around when that was happening I was in the hospital for an extended stay and the one thing I remember my mom bringing me that helped me get through it was my well worn underlined and margin-annotated copy of Leaves of Grass. Then there’s Dead Poets Society…). Anyway, feeling pretty good.

These leaves are pretty dry, long and golden. There’s a satisfying quality to this tea that works really well with my mood and the weather. It’s got hints of woody astringency like a darjeeling/Nepali tea, but it’s also smooth and carby (while staying medium-bodied, not too thick) with a faint orchid thing going on. As it cools to tepid, it gets quite noticeably sweeter which I like.

Thank you Yezi Tea for a free sample of this tea!

This tea tastes very much like Zhen Qu from Butiki. It has the same honey notes that I usually interpret as mushroom flavored. It is a delicate black tea, not the least bit bitter or astringent. This is a good quality tea, but not the type of black tea that I personally favor.

I may not have used enough leaf for this cup. I am comparing this to the 2 other teas I received from Yezi Tea. This is my least favorite of the 3. A little weak, a little more bitter than the other two. Still a good cup of tea, but if I had to choose I would choose one of the other 2 to buy again. I am comparing to Gao Shan, and Qing Pin.

I woke up to awesome news, the Title Update 14 changelog has been released and it is going into cert testing, meaning we could have the update by the end of next week. This newest update has been months in the waiting and I have been stalking 4J Studios diligently, enjoying all the little snippets of info they posted on twitter. The Xbox 360 version is still pretty far behind the PC, but it is slowly catching up. In this update I think I am most excited about the carpet, Nether mobs wandering in through portals, and anvils.

Today’s tea is Jin Jun Mei by Yezi Tea, Jin Jun Mei, also known as Golden Eyebrows Tea , is a black (or red) tea from Fujian, China, and is fairly rare. Jin Jun Mei is one of those teas that make me immensely happy just from looking at the dry leaf. I am a sucker for the beautiful, fuzzy, golden leaves, they look like something from a fairy tale. The aroma of the dry leaves is sharply sweet and a bit fruity, specifically a bit muscatel, there are strong notes of cocoa, caramelized sugar, orchids, and oak wood. It is a rich and bright aroma that wafts from the leaves, and certainly quite sweet. I would say that the aroma is one of the more sweeter Chinese black teas that I have had the honor of sniffing.

And into the gaiwan it goes for a nice, short, steeping! The aroma of the wet (and no longer gold and fuzzy) leaves is not fruity and bright, but is all richness. The aroma evolved into an intense depth with strong notes of peanuts, cocoa, and a faint hint of oak wood. Even though the aroma is no longer fruity it does retain a bit of sweetness, but now it is more of a nutty sweetness. The poured off liquid is quite sweet, like cocoa and honey with a woody quality.

The first steeping is wonderfully sweet and rich, blending the taste of cocoa, honey, roasted peanuts, and a finish of oak wood. I feel I am not giving this tea the credit it deserves, it is one of those that when I sipped it I was lost in the delicious and incredible rich taste, if you would have asked me at the time I was sipping you probably would have just heard me contentedly sigh.

The second steeping, the aroma of the leaves and the liquid is much the same as the first but a bit stronger and richer. The same can be said for the taste, except it has an added smoothness from the mouthfeel, this steeping almost seems to coat the mouth in rich sweetness. The aftertaste on this steeping was a tiny bit metallic which seemed to knock me out of my tea fugue, not a bad thing. This is one of those teas that I could see myself becoming mildly addicted to, perfect for mornings and aftermeals, or just an afternoon pick-me-up. Or before bed, or with a book, or when crafting…really I could be content drinking this tea all day. It has this great quality of being both bold and flavorful while retaining a level of mellowness that does not overpower, it is a perfectly balanced tea.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/03/yezi-tea-jin-jun-mei-tea-review.html

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Grapes, Honey, Nuts, Orchids