Jin Jun Mei Black Tea

Caramel, Honey, Malt, Smooth, Chocolate, Floral, Grapes, Orchid, Sweet, Wood, Apricot, Smoke, Stewed Fruits, Cocoa, Nuts, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it's not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4710 tasting notes
  • “Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping. As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time - I just don't get much out of these short steep teas when I do...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I've had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea--it's overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I've gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around. But we can be thankful for the little Jin Jun Mei that is available every year. This loose-leaf tea, like no other, engages your senses at multiples levels: with its complex taste, whose body and rhythm evolve for as many as fifteen brews; its fragrance, which evokes a world of faraway orchids; and the tea leaves themselves, which are shaped like eyebrows perched neatly over dove-shaped eyes.

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Temperature: 80-85 °C or 176-185 °F
Brew: 5-6 times
First brew: 15 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it’s not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I’m really enjoying the Yezi teas!

Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping.

As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time – I just don’t get much out of these short steep teas when I do them as recommended. I steeped 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water that was just off boiling. It was fantastic! Lightly malty and sweet with a bit of dust.

I have not tried any Jin Jun Mei from any other companies so I have no basis for comparison in that regard. I have other malty teas that I am equally pleased with so it wouldn’t be a must keep around tea, but if I were placing an order from Yezi, I’d certainly throw this into the cart.

I’ll try resteeping later and see if my unorthodox steeping method harmed the potential for resteeps. :)

Ysaurella

it looks like an interesting tea

Nicole

Well, unsurprisingly perhaps, it doesn’t resteep as well when you do it for a long time on the first go. :) It’s still good, but definitely less malty and less sweet. Still a smooth tea with no bitterness or dryness.

yyz

Short times for blacks often scare me too, but I have one Jinjunmei for which this is my preferred brew time boiling water, 5 second steep, than a slow pour from my yixing sized pot. It resulted in a rich red brew and a caramel like flavour.

Nicole

I shall have to try as recommended. Sometimes the merchants might know their product I suppose… :)

Ysaurella

;) sure but I’m like you, I am suspiscious with short steeps for black teas

yyz

I always try it with a small amount first, ie. make 1/2 a cup or less, so that if it doesn’t work out for me I’m not that disappointed. I find it tends to work best with very tippy blacks, but that is just my experience so far.

This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I’ve had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still enjoyable for sure. It’s not as sweet as I’d like it to be, more of a dry flavor and more woodsy, but still very smooth and complex in flavor. I like the Qing Ping and the High Mountain ones better, though. I have the Jin Pin left to try. Overall, I’m very pleased with Yezi teas.

Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea—it’s overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I’ve gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and I’ve busted my butt all week so I can work slowly today, not too much to do. Tomorrow’s Courtney’s bridal shower, and soon I’ve got to put the finishing touches on our 2 final wedding trips for October. Yesterday’s news of the Pope has me feeling hopeful and surprised still. Working through Breaking Bad and reading today from the Times they’re auctioning off set memorabilia makes me sad and affectionate all over again about Gale’s notebook and Walt Whitman’s poetry—his books always seem to be inscribed and weirdly pivotal to people (Remember Monica Lewinsky’s copy? Right around when that was happening I was in the hospital for an extended stay and the one thing I remember my mom bringing me that helped me get through it was my well worn underlined and margin-annotated copy of Leaves of Grass. Then there’s Dead Poets Society…). Anyway, feeling pretty good.

These leaves are pretty dry, long and golden. There’s a satisfying quality to this tea that works really well with my mood and the weather. It’s got hints of woody astringency like a darjeeling/Nepali tea, but it’s also smooth and carby (while staying medium-bodied, not too thick) with a faint orchid thing going on. As it cools to tepid, it gets quite noticeably sweeter which I like.

Thank you Yezi Tea for a free sample of this tea!

This tea tastes very much like Zhen Qu from Butiki. It has the same honey notes that I usually interpret as mushroom flavored. It is a delicate black tea, not the least bit bitter or astringent. This is a good quality tea, but not the type of black tea that I personally favor.

This sample comes from KiwiDelight. Thank you!

I tried this back in December when i was first starting to taste straight black teas. It is interesting to read what I thought of it then. I am really enjoying this tonight. I didn’t realize this was such a rare tea. This is coca, with hints of caramel and honey. It is really hitting the spot! Thank you for sharing one of your favorite KiwiDelight. I am glad I got to try this one again.

TheTeaFairy

This is expensive, I keep only one brand in stock. So good!

KiwiDelight

Always a pleasure to share favorites :3

This was one of the samples I apparently ordered in my sleep one night. I did a good job! I didn’t really know much other than “black tea” but if I had to guess, given my limited experience, I would have guessed a Yunnan just from looking at the leaf. I love Yunnans so that’s good! I can’t say that it’s so very different from others that I have had, but it was a very enjoyable cup and obviously a high quality tea.

Stephanie

The Jin Jun Meis that I have tried were super honey tasting!

Dexter

Jin Jun Mei is usually Fujian :))

Marzipan

Oh good, see, I learned something today!

Dexter

I find it really confusing too – for a long time I thought that Yunnans were my favorite style of black teas, then I learned that most of my favorite Yunnans were actually Fujian. If you like Yunnan, you will probably like Fujian too. :))

Marzipan

I have been reading the Harney book to self educate a bit, but I haven’t made it past the white chapter yet ;)

Tea-lephone

What a fun TTB! :D The idea behind it is so cute it makes me feel like I’m back in elementary school transforming “my dog is dark brown” to “it’s Dill’s deck now.” tehehe.

This tea is wonderful. Thank you Kiwidelight for choosing this tea. I never would have picked this out for myself but it is really delightful. It is a delicate black tea with luscious honey notes. Astringency does not exist in this tea’s vocabulary but smooth caramel does. And oh that malt…mmm.. making my mouth water… thank goodness it has given me four steeps..tehehe^.^

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Malt, Smooth

Sami Kelsh

Oh man, I remember telephone! Heck, sometimes I feel like I’m basically playing it at work, albeit with a switchboard that was made in like the 1930s. :p

I’ve been drinking this tea at work for a couple of days now. The last time I wrote about it, I thought it was finicky and “white wine up you nose” odd.
It seems to have been behaving since then, and we are friends once again. While this is not my favorite Jin Jun Mei – it has been really pleasant the last couple of days.

TheTeaFairy

It knew it better behave!! i approve that you bring such good teas at your workplace :-)
(Now can I get my maocha?)

Dexter

You cannot bribe me with compliments…..
If you want maocha – then that counts as EITHER your SALE tea for July OR your Aug purchase (it also pushes back sheng pot purchase). ;))

TheTeaFairy

Hmmm….we do sound like a married couple, haha! Then be it, that august purchase can be pushed to September…this way I can have WP AND BUTIKI…in JULY!!!

Sarsonator

Wow, Dex… you’re tough. Are you for hire as a Teahab Purchasing Restriction Agent? You’d know this in hockey terms as “The Enforcer” :p

I’m only half kidding. I need help.

Dexter

Yes you can have WP and BUTIKI in July, but then NOTHINGNADAZERO tea orders in August – then back to ONE order per month starting in Sept….

Dexter

Sars – I’m not sure I’m very good at this – I usually get told about the rule breaking AFTER the fact…. LOL – I usually pretty good at talking out of orders IF informed BEFORE it’s placed. LOL You are almost close enough that if you broke the rules I could come down and “Enforce” in person. ;))

TheTeaFairy

Dexter does a GREAT job with me…many times she has helped me “sleeping on it” instead of clicking the evil “order now” button!!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Sars, needs you too….do you even know Dex what I can only imagine she just spent on a pu’erh starter kit???

TTF! You snitch!!!!

Snitches get stitches!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Try to find me in my woods, its full of traps!!

Sarsonator

Dex: For realz. You need to start a business. Teahab Enforcers, Inc. You can hire agents in different parts of the country so you can physically restrain people, if needed.

And listen up, Foxy. I could find you ANYWHERE. All I have to do is follow the smell of the tea. So there. :p

MzPriss

Why didn’t I know about the starter kit?

MzPriss

I like this tea some – but I really like Yezi’s Yi Fu Chun way more. Dexter – I need an enforcer.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Then come on over my dear Sars, the kettle is on :-)

Sarsonator

MzP: You did know! It’s not exactly a kit, per se. I just ordered all the teas you two told me to get! I just posted them all on the Today’s Mail thread. Dex… I need you…

TTF: If we lived closer, I would make you help me drink all this!!! :)

MzPriss

If we all lived closer we would have tea parties all the time

TheTeaFairy

You guys, first, I’d I need a peeing device attached to me at all time. Just sayin. I spend way too much time in my bathroom. (Too much information???)

Sarsonator

Aaaaw. I want a tea party! No one else I know likes tea this much.

MzPriss

They make those LTF – I think they are catheters.

TheTeaFairy

(I want something more girly though)

(a _pink_catheter?)

Dexter

Have yo’all SEEN my cupboard?!!!!?? I can’t take on anymore clients…. you mention Dex talk me out of buying this tea – hey I can do that no problem, but UMMMM I go and look at it and the next thing I know it’s arriving in the mail….

TheTeaFairy

Oh, poor Dex…I do try to help you sometimes…does it count????

Dexter

MzPriss – “but I really like Yezi’s Yi Fu Chun way more”
I’ve moved this into my purse for a work tea tomorrow – it will be my “inspiration tea from my dashboard” tea for tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

MzPriss

You’re welcome. I like it a lot. I bought more after I had the sample.

I’ve been drinking green and herbal teas for weeks. I feel like I need a break and a good ol’ cozy Chinese black tea. Plus, it’s been chilly, overcast, and rainy here over the past couple days and it will be like that tomorrow. I don’t mind cold but where is the sun? :(

So I broke out Yezi’s Jin Jun Mei. Hands-down, one of my favorite Chinese blacks. The leaves are tiny, slightly twisty, hairy, and a mix of brown and tan (cute little things). I brewed them in Verdant’s test tube steeper, a perfect instrument to become acquainted with a tea’s nose and to smell this one’s wet leaf aroma, which so much like fudge brownies. The liquor is golden, fuzzy, silky, full-bodied, and flavorful; and is full of malt, chocolate, and honey goodness. Overall feel is a hug.

TeaTiff

After reading your review today, I must have your sample tonight!! This sounds really yummy.

Lariel

I almost ordered that, but went for oolong instead. Ergh.

KiwiDelight

Lariel: Always a next time ;)