Jin Jun Mei Black Tea

Creamy, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Smoked, Sweet Potatoes, Toasted, Earth, Baked Bread, Honey, Grapes, Orchid, Wood, Caramel, Smooth, Chocolate, Floral, Sweet, Apple, Apple Skins, Apricot, Smoke, Stewed Fruits, Cocoa, Nuts, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “sipdown! While i enjoy this tea, Jin Jun mei appears to not be my preferred tea. This is a really enjoyable cup, but it's not what i would be drawn to first. Still, happy to have tried it! I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “Such a pretty tea. The leaves are just lovely before steeping. As normal for me, I completely ignored the 15 second steep time - I just don't get much out of these short steep teas when I do...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 532 tasting notes
  • “This tea never stood a chance. The only other Jin Jun Mei I've had was from the Verdant Reserve club and it pretty much blew my mind. No other Jin Jun Mei will ever compare. This tea is still...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Such a good day for a comforting pot of tea--it's overcast and raining just enough to want something warm, a lazy Friday where I've gotten enough sleep for once, R only has a half day of work, and...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around. But we can be thankful for the little Jin Jun Mei that is available every year. This loose-leaf tea, like no other, engages your senses at multiples levels: with its complex taste, whose body and rhythm evolve for as many as fifteen brews; its fragrance, which evokes a world of faraway orchids; and the tea leaves themselves, which are shaped like eyebrows perched neatly over dove-shaped eyes.

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Temperature: 80-85 °C or 176-185 °F
Brew: 5-6 times
First brew: 15 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

This was one of the samples I apparently ordered in my sleep one night. I did a good job! I didn’t really know much other than “black tea” but if I had to guess, given my limited experience, I would have guessed a Yunnan just from looking at the leaf. I love Yunnans so that’s good! I can’t say that it’s so very different from others that I have had, but it was a very enjoyable cup and obviously a high quality tea.

Stephanie

The Jin Jun Meis that I have tried were super honey tasting!

Dexter

Jin Jun Mei is usually Fujian :))

Marzipan

Oh good, see, I learned something today!

Dexter

I find it really confusing too – for a long time I thought that Yunnans were my favorite style of black teas, then I learned that most of my favorite Yunnans were actually Fujian. If you like Yunnan, you will probably like Fujian too. :))

Marzipan

I have been reading the Harney book to self educate a bit, but I haven’t made it past the white chapter yet ;)

Tea-lephone

What a fun TTB! :D The idea behind it is so cute it makes me feel like I’m back in elementary school transforming “my dog is dark brown” to “it’s Dill’s deck now.” tehehe.

This tea is wonderful. Thank you Kiwidelight for choosing this tea. I never would have picked this out for myself but it is really delightful. It is a delicate black tea with luscious honey notes. Astringency does not exist in this tea’s vocabulary but smooth caramel does. And oh that malt…mmm.. making my mouth water… thank goodness it has given me four steeps..tehehe^.^

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Malt, Smooth

Sami Kelsh

Oh man, I remember telephone! Heck, sometimes I feel like I’m basically playing it at work, albeit with a switchboard that was made in like the 1930s. :p

I’ve been drinking this tea at work for a couple of days now. The last time I wrote about it, I thought it was finicky and “white wine up you nose” odd.
It seems to have been behaving since then, and we are friends once again. While this is not my favorite Jin Jun Mei – it has been really pleasant the last couple of days.

TheTeaFairy

It knew it better behave!! i approve that you bring such good teas at your workplace :-)
(Now can I get my maocha?)

Dexter

You cannot bribe me with compliments…..
If you want maocha – then that counts as EITHER your SALE tea for July OR your Aug purchase (it also pushes back sheng pot purchase). ;))

TheTeaFairy

Hmmm….we do sound like a married couple, haha! Then be it, that august purchase can be pushed to September…this way I can have WP AND BUTIKI…in JULY!!!

Sarsonator

Wow, Dex… you’re tough. Are you for hire as a Teahab Purchasing Restriction Agent? You’d know this in hockey terms as “The Enforcer” :p

I’m only half kidding. I need help.

Dexter

Yes you can have WP and BUTIKI in July, but then NOTHINGNADAZERO tea orders in August – then back to ONE order per month starting in Sept….

Dexter

Sars – I’m not sure I’m very good at this – I usually get told about the rule breaking AFTER the fact…. LOL – I usually pretty good at talking out of orders IF informed BEFORE it’s placed. LOL You are almost close enough that if you broke the rules I could come down and “Enforce” in person. ;))

TheTeaFairy

Dexter does a GREAT job with me…many times she has helped me “sleeping on it” instead of clicking the evil “order now” button!!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Sars, needs you too….do you even know Dex what I can only imagine she just spent on a pu’erh starter kit???

TTF! You snitch!!!!

Snitches get stitches!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Try to find me in my woods, its full of traps!!

Sarsonator

Dex: For realz. You need to start a business. Teahab Enforcers, Inc. You can hire agents in different parts of the country so you can physically restrain people, if needed.

And listen up, Foxy. I could find you ANYWHERE. All I have to do is follow the smell of the tea. So there. :p

MzPriss

Why didn’t I know about the starter kit?

MzPriss

I like this tea some – but I really like Yezi’s Yi Fu Chun way more. Dexter – I need an enforcer.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Then come on over my dear Sars, the kettle is on :-)

Sarsonator

MzP: You did know! It’s not exactly a kit, per se. I just ordered all the teas you two told me to get! I just posted them all on the Today’s Mail thread. Dex… I need you…

TTF: If we lived closer, I would make you help me drink all this!!! :)

MzPriss

If we all lived closer we would have tea parties all the time

TheTeaFairy

You guys, first, I’d I need a peeing device attached to me at all time. Just sayin. I spend way too much time in my bathroom. (Too much information???)

Sarsonator

Aaaaw. I want a tea party! No one else I know likes tea this much.

MzPriss

They make those LTF – I think they are catheters.

TheTeaFairy

(I want something more girly though)

(a _pink_catheter?)

Dexter

Have yo’all SEEN my cupboard?!!!!?? I can’t take on anymore clients…. you mention Dex talk me out of buying this tea – hey I can do that no problem, but UMMMM I go and look at it and the next thing I know it’s arriving in the mail….

TheTeaFairy

Oh, poor Dex…I do try to help you sometimes…does it count????

Dexter

MzPriss – “but I really like Yezi’s Yi Fu Chun way more”
I’ve moved this into my purse for a work tea tomorrow – it will be my “inspiration tea from my dashboard” tea for tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

MzPriss

You’re welcome. I like it a lot. I bought more after I had the sample.

I’ve been drinking green and herbal teas for weeks. I feel like I need a break and a good ol’ cozy Chinese black tea. Plus, it’s been chilly, overcast, and rainy here over the past couple days and it will be like that tomorrow. I don’t mind cold but where is the sun? :(

So I broke out Yezi’s Jin Jun Mei. Hands-down, one of my favorite Chinese blacks. The leaves are tiny, slightly twisty, hairy, and a mix of brown and tan (cute little things). I brewed them in Verdant’s test tube steeper, a perfect instrument to become acquainted with a tea’s nose and to smell this one’s wet leaf aroma, which so much like fudge brownies. The liquor is golden, fuzzy, silky, full-bodied, and flavorful; and is full of malt, chocolate, and honey goodness. Overall feel is a hug.

TeaTiff

After reading your review today, I must have your sample tonight!! This sounds really yummy.

Lariel of Lórien

I almost ordered that, but went for oolong instead. Ergh.

KiwiDelight

Lariel: Always a next time ;)

Backlog. Received in a swap with KiwiDelight!

It’s been a little while since I had this one, so I’ve only got my notes to go by.
This was my first Jin Jun Mei. It was light, woodsy, and a little drying on the tongue. Floral and grape-y like a Darjeeling. There was a malty feeling left in my mouth after swallowing. Hints of olive oil…and a little sweetness. A very pleasant, quiet and mellow tea! Enjoyable but not something I’ll likely be reaching for in the future. (: Still good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Floral, Grapes, Malt, Orchid, Sweet, Wood

This tea has a lovely malty flavor. I wish I could pick out some additional aromas or flavors, but alas, I cannot.

I steeped this at 205 degrees for 5 minutes. I also did a 2nd steeping for 6 min. I wish this tea was a little sweeter, but it was good. The second steeping had less maltiness and tasted more like plain tea.

Next time, I may add a teensy bit of sugar, just to see how that goes.

TheTeaFairy

I know I steep heavily, but maybe you could try using 2 tsp, cause it’s a light tea in weight. Jin Jun Mei is very flavourful usually, so maybe this way you’ll get more what you are looking for out of it…
Just a suggestion :-)

Sarsonator

Worth a try! I tend to vary the brewing if I try a tea and don’t love it, so I’ll definitely try your suggestion. :)

yyz

I haven’t tried this with Yezi’s tea yet, but someone once recommended doing very short steeps with boiling water for JJM and especially with some of the ones that seemed a little bit off using more western type steep times this has made all the difference. My favourite is around 1.5 TSP/8oz with boiling water steeped for 5-15s the first steep, increasing by about 10s each subsequent steep until the steep tastes week and than I use increasingly longer steep times. As well one of my Jim has this flavour profile that goes through bright and fruity to normal op to a few final steeps of caramel, if you stop at the boring steeps you miss the best ones. Have fun playing with the tea I hope you find a way to make it more enjoyable for you!

Sarsonator

Thanks for the suggestion. I always appreciate the feedback, especially if it helps me find a better way to brew!

Yezi Tea

Hi Sarsonator,

Our recommendation for the Jin Jun Mei is 3 TSP for 8 OZ of water (about 4-5g of tea). We just fixed instructions on the site for water temperature, and your temperature was perfect (boiling water), and time for the 1st brew shouldn’t exceed 30 sec (this will give you a bit stronger tea).

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Meiqin

From the Tan Yang Mountains, Fujian, China.
Yezi’s notes say that Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around.
(From Wickipedia) Jin Jun Mei (金骏眉) (Golden Beautiful Eyebrow) is a Lapsang Souchong black tea from Wuyishan City, Fujian Province, China. It is made from two small shoots plucked in early spring from the plant’s stem which are subsequently fully oxidised to giving a tea that has a sweet, fruity and flowery flavour with a long lasting sweet after-taste. The brew is bright reddish in colour.

In China, this variety of tea is viewed as one of the most prestigious of all teas. Its price varies depending on the quality, ranging from US$60 to US$700 per ounce.

Dry leaves are black and gold, mostly gold twisty small thread like pieces. Scents of dried sweet apple and other dried fruits with a shortbread or sugar cereal note as well.

I brewed this tea Western style. The Yezi website suggested temps between 176F-185F,,,I brewed at 180F and tasting at every minute, I steeped for a total of 5 minutes.
The liquor is a gorgeous red amber jewel color and has scents of the dried apple and maybe some prune, there is a slight tamarind note as well.
The flavor is cooked red apple peels, there is a tamarind aspect of puckering your mouth. As the liquor cools, a dried apricot note is coming through strongly. Very different flavors to me and I might have to play with this one since I brewed it the way I did, Western with a low temp. I will be gong fu brewing.

6/16/14
Took this one down to 175F Western style this morning. Used 4 grams tea in 16 oz water. Steeped for 5 minutes.
Liquor is deep orange and the flavor is apple peel, a bit of toast. These buds benefit from a lower temperature Western style. Still gotta brew this one Gong Fu.
_________________________________________________________________________
7/5/14
Finally brewed this one Gong Fu style this morning. I haven’t had this in a while and the dry leaves smelled winey and had notes of bread today. I used 1 heaping tsp of tea in my little 100ml porcelain gong fu pot. Used 185F water.
Did an immediate rinse then
15"- thin and very subtle flavors
30" – more golden in color and has a subtle smoky and fruity flavor. This is a very refined Lapsang Souchong. The wet leaves are all buds.
30" – got sweeter as the smoke faded.
30" – nice but subtle flavors
45"- very subtle flavors.

Overall, I think more leaf would be fine for this tea to bring out even more flavor. I will have to try an extra tsp next time with gong fu.
___________________________________________________________________________
7/31/14
Having a cup Western style. Yezi just has such good tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is smoky and has lots of flavors adding depth to it especially apple.

Flavors: Apple, Apple Skins, Apricot, Smoke, Stewed Fruits

I woke up to awesome news, the Title Update 14 changelog has been released and it is going into cert testing, meaning we could have the update by the end of next week. This newest update has been months in the waiting and I have been stalking 4J Studios diligently, enjoying all the little snippets of info they posted on twitter. The Xbox 360 version is still pretty far behind the PC, but it is slowly catching up. In this update I think I am most excited about the carpet, Nether mobs wandering in through portals, and anvils.

Today’s tea is Jin Jun Mei by Yezi Tea, Jin Jun Mei, also known as Golden Eyebrows Tea , is a black (or red) tea from Fujian, China, and is fairly rare. Jin Jun Mei is one of those teas that make me immensely happy just from looking at the dry leaf. I am a sucker for the beautiful, fuzzy, golden leaves, they look like something from a fairy tale. The aroma of the dry leaves is sharply sweet and a bit fruity, specifically a bit muscatel, there are strong notes of cocoa, caramelized sugar, orchids, and oak wood. It is a rich and bright aroma that wafts from the leaves, and certainly quite sweet. I would say that the aroma is one of the more sweeter Chinese black teas that I have had the honor of sniffing.

And into the gaiwan it goes for a nice, short, steeping! The aroma of the wet (and no longer gold and fuzzy) leaves is not fruity and bright, but is all richness. The aroma evolved into an intense depth with strong notes of peanuts, cocoa, and a faint hint of oak wood. Even though the aroma is no longer fruity it does retain a bit of sweetness, but now it is more of a nutty sweetness. The poured off liquid is quite sweet, like cocoa and honey with a woody quality.

The first steeping is wonderfully sweet and rich, blending the taste of cocoa, honey, roasted peanuts, and a finish of oak wood. I feel I am not giving this tea the credit it deserves, it is one of those that when I sipped it I was lost in the delicious and incredible rich taste, if you would have asked me at the time I was sipping you probably would have just heard me contentedly sigh.

The second steeping, the aroma of the leaves and the liquid is much the same as the first but a bit stronger and richer. The same can be said for the taste, except it has an added smoothness from the mouthfeel, this steeping almost seems to coat the mouth in rich sweetness. The aftertaste on this steeping was a tiny bit metallic which seemed to knock me out of my tea fugue, not a bad thing. This is one of those teas that I could see myself becoming mildly addicted to, perfect for mornings and aftermeals, or just an afternoon pick-me-up. Or before bed, or with a book, or when crafting…really I could be content drinking this tea all day. It has this great quality of being both bold and flavorful while retaining a level of mellowness that does not overpower, it is a perfectly balanced tea.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/03/yezi-tea-jin-jun-mei-tea-review.html

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Grapes, Honey, Nuts, Orchids