Li Shan Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Grass, Roasted, Honey, Honeysuckle, Lettuce, Orange Blossom, Pear, Smooth, Creamy, Floral, Sugarcane, Peach, Vegetal, Flowers, Vegetables
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I've been sipping down teas in anticipation of Black Friday, and decided it was time to try this sample from *Yezi Tea*. I used the entire 3 grams in 6 oz of water in a series of 60 second...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 146 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Yezi Tea for the sample! While I really enjoy oolongs, I admittedly don't have very much experience with them, especially the greener ones. I've basically only had a few milk oolongs,...” Read full tasting note
    Argentum 124 tasting notes
  • “While window shopping for new tea to try, yes it is a hobby that I partake in most evenings because either I am completely obsessed or...actually or nothing, I am completely obsessed with tea. It...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 437 tasting notes
  • “I've been so excited to try out these samples from Yezi Tea, so here goes another one! It's the first time I've made oolong on my own, so bear with me. Forgot to smell the dry leaves cause it was...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 526 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

This Taiwanese oolong is grown on the rocky cliffs of the Li Shan mountain range in the Nantou County of Taiwan. The tea is harvested at 6,600–7,800 feet above sea level. Due to the paucity of agricultural land at such high altitudes, the quantity of Li Shan oolong harvested every year is relatively limited, ensuring that it is always in great demand.

Like some people and most cats, the Li Shan oolong has markedly different personalities when dry and when wet. When you first open the tea pouch, you will be greeted with the aromatic notes of sugarcane. However, when you pour water over the tea leaves and watch them curl up, you will find your room filling up with a powerful orchid scent.

About Yezi Tea View company

I’ve been sipping down teas in anticipation of Black Friday, and decided it was time to try this sample from Yezi Tea. I used the entire 3 grams in 6 oz of water in a series of 60 second steeps.

1st steep: Nose is soft and spicy with hints of straw. Flavor is light and grassy with milky texture. Finish seems more powerful than the taste. As the tea cooled the flavor opened up and became quite buttery, but the spice disappeared.

2nd steep: the nose is more grass than straw, with just a hint of spice. A bit more powerful than the first steep. The first sip just exploded in my mouth: tremendous power! It has an incredibly rich mouth-feel, with flavors dominated by straw and grass, with undertones of spice. The taste transitions smoothly into a long, powerful finish.

3rd steep was less powerful than the second. Mildly spicy nose. Same flavors, but much less buttery texture in the mouth. Finish is still good, but not quite as good as the second steep.

Many thanks to Yezi Tea for providing the sample

Thanks to Yezi Tea for the sample!

While I really enjoy oolongs, I admittedly don’t have very much experience with them, especially the greener ones. I’ve basically only had a few milk oolongs, a couple tieguanyins, and several roasted oolongs mostly from the Wuyi region. Yezi Tea is currently doing a promotion where you can get three free samples of their teas and only pay a few dollars in shipping. I got two oolongs and a black tea, in the hopes of being able to learn to differentiate the oolongs. They also add an additional sample to orders (mine was another oolong which I believe I’ve already reviewed in brief).

Anyway, on to the tea. I’ve steeped this 5g sample four times so far and have enjoyed each steep. I wasn’t able to take notes for each specific steep, unfortunately, so I’ll just write my overall impression.

Very floral (orchid, specifically), but not overpoweringly so. Sweet, honeylike taste. Lightly grassy aftertaste. No astringency or bitterness. Smooth. Makes me think of spring meadows with wildflowers everywhere (minus the allergies!). It does taste different from the last oolong I had (Dong Ding Winter Peak), but I can’t quite place it. I believe the texture is slightly different but I’m not sure. Still working on figuring out how to taste oolongs!

While window shopping for new tea to try, yes it is a hobby that I partake in most evenings because either I am completely obsessed or…actually or nothing, I am completely obsessed with tea. It is a lifestyle. Anyway, while window shopping I discovered the website for Yezi Tea and their delightful ‘try before you buy’ promotion sending you three samples of their teas for the very reasonable price of shipping. Of course I chose three different Oolongs because they are my favorite tea to drink (maybe). They were kind enough to send me an extra sample and that is what I am reviewing today.

First off, you need to visit the website for the Li Shan Oolong because it is wonderfully informative! Not only is there really detailed steeping instructions, it also delights in telling me that this particular Oolong is from the Li Shan Mountain Range in the Nantou County of Taiwan, harvested at 6,600-7,800 feet above sea level. Those who follow my blog know how much I love this kind of information, I am such a collector of information that it makes me giddy! But I bet you are here for the actual review of the tea, so allow me to introduce this Oolong’s aroma! Why, hello delightfully floral Oolong, you are very light and reminiscent of a spring day. The main floral aroma is honeysuckles, not so much the heady summery aroma of honeysuckles but the late spring early bloom where the flowers are just starting to open their petals. Hiding beneath the freshly blooming honeysuckles are notes of sweet honey and a touch of rose.

As the tea steeps it first takes on the aroma of hay and strawflowers but very quickly turns into heady orchids. It fills the room up with the aroma of orchids and that mild chestnutty aroma I find in Oolongs, and it is lovely and sweet. The brewed liquid smells like honey and very mild orchids, surprisingly mild considering how heady the brewing leaves are.

The first steep is mellow and sweet! The initial taste is that of honey followed by the slight mix of fresh vegetation and mown hay. It gives a slightly tingly mouthfeel that is very refreshing and enjoyable. There are aftertastes of flowers that do not linger.

In the second steep we lose some of the sweetness and it is replaced with an intense richness. The taste becomes much more heady and floral, intoxicating, with a touch of vegetal green taste that blends well with the intense floral taste. The aftertaste is that of chestnuts and hay.

In the third steeping we get something that I absolutely adore in Oolongs (other than all the other tastes that have graced me with their presence) a mix of copper and minerals. That may not sound very tasty, but it is, every time I drink and Oolong that has these flavors it reminds me of a mountain spring, it is very clean but the undertones of minerals and copper are delightful. I should note that the mineral and copper taste are just hints, the main taste in this steeping is an even more intense floral with rich nutty notes.

In the final steep the sweetness from the first returns, delightfully mild with a touch of honey. The floral taste also is much more mellow and a sweet chestnutty aftertaste is present. A wonderful last cup!

Photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/09/yezi-tea-li-shan-oolong-tea-tea-review.html

I’ve been so excited to try out these samples from Yezi Tea, so here goes another one! It’s the first time I’ve made oolong on my own, so bear with me. Forgot to smell the dry leaves cause it was so cold I just wanted tea right away!

First steep: Steeped for 45 seconds as recommended. Smells floral (maybe orchid like the description says, but I’m not good with identifying beyond “floral”) and a little buttery perhaps? Tastes sweet, smooth/buttery, and nutty to me. And one of the most important things to me, no bitterness through to the end of the cup!

Second steep: Not sure that my water was hot enough, but steeped for about 20 more seconds. Color is a lot brighter & greener compared to the yellow from before. A lot of the smooth/buttery taste and texture have gone away, but the other flavors seem similar to before. Oh, and there is a bit of bitterness that wasn’t there before, but not much.

Third/fourth steeps: Steeped 20 more seconds each. Pretty much same taste as second steep.

Overall, very tasty! I’m sad that the sample is gone, and I’m definitely considering repurchasing in the future.

I received this as a sample. This is one of my favorite types of tea as it’s delicious all on its own. Really yummy and comforting.

Got a sample of this from the lovely Albertocanfly.
I usually love Li Shan Oolong, but this one doesn’t have tons of flavor. I even steeped it for longer than it said, but still not much flavor. So I’m kinda bummed out about this one! :/
It’s wayy too light for me. It’s lightly roasted, but mostly just kinda tastes grassy….
Kinda hard to tell. xD Definitely not something I’d get more of. But always glad to try another oolong. Thanks, Albertocanfly! [:

Flavors: Grass, Roasted

Watching this tea bloom in my gaiwan was quite a treat. This is a tea that made me remember why I love oolong the most. Each steeping was a transformation on the last.

Flavors: Honey, Honeysuckle, Lettuce, Orange Blossom, Pear, Smooth

5 g

Origin: Li Shan (Pear Mountain), Taiwan
Leaf Appearance: Spinach green color rolled balls with scents of vanilla wafer
Method: Gaiwan 200F immediate rinse-45"-55"
Liquor: Pale Spring green with Orchid scent
Flavor: Floral, creamy, sugarcane

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Sugarcane

This is my third and final free sample from Yezi Tea, and it is also my first ever straight oolong. The dry leaves had a surprisingly strong peach smell, which made me very excited to try this tea. Since the packet did not include brewing directions, I looked around on various websites and found a lot of conflicting instructions. XD

I ended up brewing it for 4 minutes, which I think may have been just a little too long. Next time I would go for about 3 or so. The brew has a very strong floral smell with just a touch of fruitiness. The tea itself also tastes very floral (a little bit too floral for me, but I attribute this to the overbrewing) and there is also a very noticeable peach flavor, which I love. The tea itself tastes like a strong green tea to me, but it was a little bit bitter since I let it brew too long. I added a very small amount of sugar to help bring out that yummy peach flavor.

Overall, I really enjoyed this tea, and I feel I will love it when I steep it again for a shorter duration (I will most likely try 3 minutes). I will most likely give it a rating after trying it a few more times. I really appreciate the opportunity to try some awesome teas for free. Thanks, Yezi Tea! :D

Flavors: Floral, Peach, Vegetal

madametj

After I brewed mine they commented and told me that instructions were on their website. I found out they recommend boiling water! Definitely hotter than what it seems everyone’s been using :P

Cameron B.

Yeah, but it seems like the instructions on their website are for Gongfu/Gaiwan brewing and I do mine Western style in a French press. :(

steeping times: 5s rinse, 30s, 45s, 40s, 50s

Meh. I tried everything I could to pull some flavor out of this tea, but it was far too light for my tastes. I even tried using less water AND increasing the steeping time simultaneously. Still nothing. Kinda vegetal with a hint of floral aftertaste, but other than that not much taste to this cup of tea.

Flavors: Flowers, Vegetables

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Yezi Tea

Hi madametj,

Li Shan is high mountain tea (very high altitude, around 8000 feet), so you should definitely try to brew it with boiling water and add 15-30 extra seconds for the first brew (total around 50-60). This will allow leaves to open and develop inside of the gaiwan, and hopefully it will give you more rewarding brew.

- Meiqin

madametj

Thanks! I just wish this information was on the sample I received. Perhaps that’s something that can be done in the future.

Yezi Tea

Thank you for the feedback, and this is something that has been on my todo list for a while. Problem is the size of the sample bag, but maybe we can try to include an instruction sheet with very order. We already have instructions on the website, but maybe they are not clear enough. I will talk to my web designer to improve that section of the site. Thank you again :)

- Meiqin