Jin Pin

Black Tea Leaves
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Day Four- Tea Pet's log: The sun intrigues me... I feel a strange need to stand outside in it for years until I grow taller. Loved ones keep trying to get my attention by calling my name....” Read full tasting note
    TeaPet 274 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so Yezi Tea has a sale going on and then reminded me that I have 3 lovely samples that have slowly made their way over to me and that I should have sampled a month ago. But I grabbed them when...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1408 tasting notes
  • “This tea was quite nice - great notes of cocoa, caramel and smoke as promised. The smoke seemed a cross between grilly food and toast, without being over the top. Actually, quite a light black, yet...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 937 tasting notes
  • “I got this one as a sample with my last order from Yezi and I'm very glad that I did. It's smoky, malty, earthy, sweetish and oddly enough, creamy. It's almost like I added cream to this but I...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 428 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Pin black loose-leaf tea comes from China’s famed Nanhu Mountain range, which is covered nearly year-round by a dense layer of fog. In addition, the extreme difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures there creates the ideal conditions for growing high-quality tea.

In Chinese, Jin Pin means gold personality. It is no coincidence that the brew produced by Jin Pin is a dark orange color. The tea produces a strong, smoky flavor with contrasting tones of chocolate and caramel. Yezi is able to bring you the finest-quality Jin Pin tea because of our collaboration with farmer Huang Jian. For the last 250 years, the Nanhu Mountain range has been home to some of China’s highest-quality organic teas, and we are confident that you’ll take just one sip and say, “I agree.”

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings
Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F
Brew: 3-4 times
First brew: 20 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 15 seconds
Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

About Yezi Tea View company

Day Four- Tea Pet’s log:

The sun intrigues me… I feel a strange need to stand outside in it for years until I grow taller. Loved ones keep trying to get my attention by calling my name. Apparently, I only respond when Jin Pin is uttered.

I brewed this tea in a method that is foreign to me, although, apparently not foreign in China. I placed about 3 tsp of leaves in the bottom of one of my stainless steel tumblers, then added water. Apparently, if I don’t drink the last 25% of the tea, this brewing method will work out swimmingly. For the next infusion, I just add more hot water on top of the 25% and it acts as a starting point for the brew… Well.. here goes noteang.

Jin Pin:

205 °F / 96 °C
Tea Pet

I don’t like this method… :( My poor Jin Pin…. You deserve better. You deserve to only be brewed in a gaiwan.

AlexaK.

I ordered a sample of this from Yezi because apparently they do free samples. Anyway, looking forward to trying it. Not that you recommend it or would be interested in anyway. ;)

Tea Pet

Oh! That’s exciting! I hope that you enjoy it! What other samples did you get?!

AlexaK.

Silver Needle Bai Hao Yin Zhen White Tea and Dragon Well Master Grade Long Jing Green Tea. I have no idea if I’m going to like these. I tend to like every green I’ve ever tried but the others will be an experience.

Tea Pet

Oh!! That’s great! The Silver Needle is absolutely amazing! And although, I haven’t tried the Master Grade Long Jing, I loved the High Grade. I will throw in some more green teas to your box. :)

AlexaK.

Oh, please don’t! I’m sure you’ve been far too generous already!

Ok, so Yezi Tea has a sale going on and then reminded me that I have 3 lovely samples that have slowly made their way over to me and that I should have sampled a month ago. But I grabbed them when I grabbed like 30 other teas from Sil (swaps/split purchases/freebies) and it sorta got lost in t he shuffle.

Poor Yezi tea.

I like this. It’s a nice rich black. It’s malty and it has depth. Sadly I feel like I haven’t had enough straight teas lately and I’ve lost all my vocabulary to describe it. And to taste the nuances. I like this, but I’m not sure what to say about it.

It’s a little like Laoshan Black. Not as much cocoa notes though. I’d recommend it though to anyone interested in trying Yezi Teas.

Sipdown (161) (after I resteep it)

this was not my favourite of the bunch i’ve tried but still delicious and yummy! i tihnk it was Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong that i liked hte best.. but they’re all in close range heh

This tea was quite nice – great notes of cocoa, caramel and smoke as promised. The smoke seemed a cross between grilly food and toast, without being over the top. Actually, quite a light black, yet rich in flavor.

I got 4 good steepings, and I did a long one as my fifth. That fifth one had some really neat woody notes that was very nice.

This was only a sample, but I could see myself getting more of this tea to play with some more.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/jin-pin-black-tea-yezi-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/

Very excited with this post as I used my new DSLR camera. Though uggg.. I really need like a prime or macro lens as the tea was a little fussy to photo.

200 °F / 93 °C

I really enjoyed this one!

I got this one as a sample with my last order from Yezi and I’m very glad that I did. It’s smoky, malty, earthy, sweetish and oddly enough, creamy. It’s almost like I added cream to this but I didn’t!

At first I was sort of put off by the smokiness, but it mellowed out quickly and the smoke subsided to a light level and the earthy creaminess came to the fore. I probably wouldn’t order it again, but I’m glad to have tried it!

I think TB and i are on the same page with this one. it’s delicious but i love the first one i tried today way more.

This tea is slightly sweeter than the Jin Jun Mei and less earthy. A little cocoa and caramel but mostly just a decent cup.

The final sample from Yezi Tea. Another good tea. I like this one a bit more than the Jin Jun Mei, but the first two I tried are the clear winners for me. This tea is slightly sweeter than the Jin Jun Mei and less earthy. Slight hints of cocoa and caramel. Very enjoyable.

I need to go order samples of the other black teas along with my orders of the Qing Pin and High Mountain one. I didn’t want to sample them before because they were described as smoky and I shy away from that, but this tea was also described as smoky and as I’ve said in previous notes, I would call it more burnt toast than smoke.

ETA: Just did a second steep and let it sit for a few minutes. This cup is much more chocolatey and caramely. Darn it. I may have to order a bag of this too!

I like this one a lot. It’s similar to the Qing Pin tea from the same company. It’s very flavourful and not bitter at all. It has a cocoa smell but it doesn’t really taste like it. I prefer the Qing Pin over the Jin Pin just because I find the chocolate taste is stronger.

i second that!

Thank you Yezi for this sample! Rarely do I ever steep a tea too long for my tastes, but this time I really should have listened to the suggestions. Don’t get me wrong it was delicious, but there were a lot of subtleties here that were masked by the strong toasted maltiness that I let overtake it. This would have been one that I would have really enjoyed using repeated small steep times for.

The first flavors I got reminded me of evergreen and citrus. There is a bright note to this tea that starts right away and stayed throughout the cup. As I mentioned before, there is a toasted malty flavor, as well as a hint of lilac that is the central characteristic of this tea, almost reminiscent of the smell of a furnace when it is turned on for the first time at the beginning of the cold season. I hope that doesn’t sound off-putting, for me it was very positive. It invoked a strong sense of nostalgia, memories of hunkering down for the winter, of my grandparent’s house as a child. I could easily see this becoming a morning routine.

I did go ahead and steep this a second time for six minutes, which is rare for me, but I had a feeling it would be good. It was good. Most of the great flavors were all still there. This is a tea I will remember.

Thank you Kat_Maria for sending this my way. I don’t usually reach for straight blacks but for some reason, this has been calling to me. So today I finally decided to brew up a cup and I am glad i did. This tea is delicious! It is malty with notes of chocolate and caramel. There is even a hint of honey. Amazing! I guess tastes really do change :)

Kat_Maria

I am so glad you like it! It’s one of my favorite black teas at the moment :) There are some straight blacks out there that taste like flavored, desserty, rich goodness!

ifjuly

this one definitely grew on me. i thought it was a very well made tea the first time i had it, but it didn’t, you know, GRAB me personally…then months later i found myself craving it…to the point i restocked it, and now once in a while i spend like 3 days straight binging on it then forgetting about it for months. it’s funny. but i really like it, yeah!

VariaTEA

I resteeped this, drank it cold, and still love it. I am still thinking about it. Something tells me there will be a Yezi tea order in my future.

Kat_Maria

Yay!!! I love Yezi! Even though I ordered from them like… once so far :D :D Well, if you count their free samples for new customers offer, then twice. But what I’ve tried is always superb quality and tastes delicious. Their teas also yield many resteeps. Good stuff.

I’m up early so figured I would dig into this sample from Yezi tea. I’m also a bit lacking in dexterity so I didn’t want to fool around with a gaiwan this morning.

I went for one initial steep via mug method for the first cup. First impressions are that this is lightly fruity with some gentle notes of malt. Very mellow, lacking in bitterness which is a plus for yours truly. It’s easy to sip on plain. I am still sleepy but feel like I notice something creamy in the aroma of this tea, perhaps it’s coconut, hmm.

Second steep I did for 3 minutes to see what other flavors I could coax out of it. It still seems very light and mild with gentle cocoa notes. Other people have mentioned a smoke note and I think I’m getting a bit of that here in the finish. Also still getting a kind of creaminess with this tea.

I’d prefer to drink something mild like this in the afternoon but overall I quite like it. It doesn’t need additions at all but takes a splash of soymilk fairly well. This tea is like an easy going friend.