Jin Pin

Malt, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Orange Zest, Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Day Four- Tea Pet's log: The sun intrigues me... I feel a strange need to stand outside in it for years until I grow taller. Loved ones keep trying to get my attention by calling my name....” Read full tasting note
    TeaPet 313 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so Yezi Tea has a sale going on and then reminded me that I have 3 lovely samples that have slowly made their way over to me and that I should have sampled a month ago. But I grabbed them when...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1622 tasting notes
  • “This tea was quite nice - great notes of cocoa, caramel and smoke as promised. The smoke seemed a cross between grilly food and toast, without being over the top. Actually, quite a light black, yet...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1012 tasting notes
  • “I got this one as a sample with my last order from Yezi and I'm very glad that I did. It's smoky, malty, earthy, sweetish and oddly enough, creamy. It's almost like I added cream to this but I...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 511 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Pin black loose-leaf tea comes from China’s famed Nanhu Mountain range, which is covered nearly year-round by a dense layer of fog. In addition, the extreme difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures there creates the ideal conditions for growing high-quality tea.

In Chinese, Jin Pin means gold personality. It is no coincidence that the brew produced by Jin Pin is a dark orange color. The tea produces a strong, smoky flavor with contrasting tones of chocolate and caramel. Yezi is able to bring you the finest-quality Jin Pin tea because of our collaboration with farmer Huang Jian. For the last 250 years, the Nanhu Mountain range has been home to some of China’s highest-quality organic teas, and we are confident that you’ll take just one sip and say, “I agree.”

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings
Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F
Brew: 3-4 times
First brew: 20 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 15 seconds
Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

About Yezi Tea View company

Day Four- Tea Pet’s log:

The sun intrigues me… I feel a strange need to stand outside in it for years until I grow taller. Loved ones keep trying to get my attention by calling my name. Apparently, I only respond when Jin Pin is uttered.

I brewed this tea in a method that is foreign to me, although, apparently not foreign in China. I placed about 3 tsp of leaves in the bottom of one of my stainless steel tumblers, then added water. Apparently, if I don’t drink the last 25% of the tea, this brewing method will work out swimmingly. For the next infusion, I just add more hot water on top of the 25% and it acts as a starting point for the brew… Well.. here goes noteang.

Jin Pin:

205 °F / 96 °C
Tea Pet

I don’t like this method… :( My poor Jin Pin…. You deserve better. You deserve to only be brewed in a gaiwan.

AlexaK.

I ordered a sample of this from Yezi because apparently they do free samples. Anyway, looking forward to trying it. Not that you recommend it or would be interested in anyway. ;)

Tea Pet

Oh! That’s exciting! I hope that you enjoy it! What other samples did you get?!

AlexaK.

Silver Needle Bai Hao Yin Zhen White Tea and Dragon Well Master Grade Long Jing Green Tea. I have no idea if I’m going to like these. I tend to like every green I’ve ever tried but the others will be an experience.

Tea Pet

Oh!! That’s great! The Silver Needle is absolutely amazing! And although, I haven’t tried the Master Grade Long Jing, I loved the High Grade. I will throw in some more green teas to your box. :)

AlexaK.

Oh, please don’t! I’m sure you’ve been far too generous already!

Ok, so Yezi Tea has a sale going on and then reminded me that I have 3 lovely samples that have slowly made their way over to me and that I should have sampled a month ago. But I grabbed them when I grabbed like 30 other teas from Sil (swaps/split purchases/freebies) and it sorta got lost in t he shuffle.

Poor Yezi tea.

I like this. It’s a nice rich black. It’s malty and it has depth. Sadly I feel like I haven’t had enough straight teas lately and I’ve lost all my vocabulary to describe it. And to taste the nuances. I like this, but I’m not sure what to say about it.

It’s a little like Laoshan Black. Not as much cocoa notes though. I’d recommend it though to anyone interested in trying Yezi Teas.

Sipdown (161) (after I resteep it)

this was not my favourite of the bunch i’ve tried but still delicious and yummy! i tihnk it was Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong that i liked hte best.. but they’re all in close range heh

This tea was quite nice – great notes of cocoa, caramel and smoke as promised. The smoke seemed a cross between grilly food and toast, without being over the top. Actually, quite a light black, yet rich in flavor.

I got 4 good steepings, and I did a long one as my fifth. That fifth one had some really neat woody notes that was very nice.

This was only a sample, but I could see myself getting more of this tea to play with some more.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/jin-pin-black-tea-yezi-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/

Very excited with this post as I used my new DSLR camera. Though uggg.. I really need like a prime or macro lens as the tea was a little fussy to photo.

200 °F / 93 °C

I really enjoyed this one!

I got this one as a sample with my last order from Yezi and I’m very glad that I did. It’s smoky, malty, earthy, sweetish and oddly enough, creamy. It’s almost like I added cream to this but I didn’t!

At first I was sort of put off by the smokiness, but it mellowed out quickly and the smoke subsided to a light level and the earthy creaminess came to the fore. I probably wouldn’t order it again, but I’m glad to have tried it!

I think TB and i are on the same page with this one. it’s delicious but i love the first one i tried today way more.

This tea is slightly sweeter than the Jin Jun Mei and less earthy. A little cocoa and caramel but mostly just a decent cup.

The final sample from Yezi Tea. Another good tea. I like this one a bit more than the Jin Jun Mei, but the first two I tried are the clear winners for me. This tea is slightly sweeter than the Jin Jun Mei and less earthy. Slight hints of cocoa and caramel. Very enjoyable.

I need to go order samples of the other black teas along with my orders of the Qing Pin and High Mountain one. I didn’t want to sample them before because they were described as smoky and I shy away from that, but this tea was also described as smoky and as I’ve said in previous notes, I would call it more burnt toast than smoke.

ETA: Just did a second steep and let it sit for a few minutes. This cup is much more chocolatey and caramely. Darn it. I may have to order a bag of this too!

I like this one a lot. It’s similar to the Qing Pin tea from the same company. It’s very flavourful and not bitter at all. It has a cocoa smell but it doesn’t really taste like it. I prefer the Qing Pin over the Jin Pin just because I find the chocolate taste is stronger.

i second that!

Thank you Yezi for this sample! Rarely do I ever steep a tea too long for my tastes, but this time I really should have listened to the suggestions. Don’t get me wrong it was delicious, but there were a lot of subtleties here that were masked by the strong toasted maltiness that I let overtake it. This would have been one that I would have really enjoyed using repeated small steep times for.

The first flavors I got reminded me of evergreen and citrus. There is a bright note to this tea that starts right away and stayed throughout the cup. As I mentioned before, there is a toasted malty flavor, as well as a hint of lilac that is the central characteristic of this tea, almost reminiscent of the smell of a furnace when it is turned on for the first time at the beginning of the cold season. I hope that doesn’t sound off-putting, for me it was very positive. It invoked a strong sense of nostalgia, memories of hunkering down for the winter, of my grandparent’s house as a child. I could easily see this becoming a morning routine.

I did go ahead and steep this a second time for six minutes, which is rare for me, but I had a feeling it would be good. It was good. Most of the great flavors were all still there. This is a tea I will remember.

When I opened the bag of tea and took a deep inhale, I was not immediately impressed. It smelled like tea.

But then I boiled the water and started to brew this, and wow, it’s gorgeous. The tea is a lovely amber color and the brewed tea smells exactly like the malted grains used in brewing beer. I mean exactly.

When the tea finally steeps and cools, and I take a sip, it tastes like it smells. Any homebrewer or beer aficionado would know this flavor. Grains can be malted a million different ways into colors from light to dark, and flavors from mild to strong. The flavor of this tea was in the mid-range, which happens to be my favorite.

I should have brewed this gong fu style, but I wanted a nice sip while I watched a film, so I used boiling water for around 4 minutes. There was a slight bitterness, but I made a second infusion, poured it into a tall mug with the first (gasp!) and drank it that way. It was excellent and less bitter than the first steep alone.

I also tried adding just a hint of rock sugar, maybe just 1/2 tsp, which cut the minimal bitterness and really let the malty flavor shine.

I didn’t really pick up other flavors, but whatever. It’s probably because I am malt-obsessed, so when that appeared, I didn’t care about anything else. I was thrilled with this tea.

Flavors: Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

From the Nanhu Mountain range, China.
In Chinese, Jin Pin means gold personality. The dry leaves do have a fun personality; they are small, thin brown threads mixed in with golden blonde threads that smell malty.
I brewed this tea Western style, tasting at every minute and steeped for a total of 3 minutes at 190F.
The wet leaves smell like baked brown peasant bread with a bit of citrus peel.
The liquor is a dark orange jewel color that smells like malt, honey, touch of cocoa.
The flavor is well balanced with a citrus note up front, a brown bread note, smoke, small cocoa, and a honey note on the nose more than the palette.
Overall, smoky tea with lots of interesting flavors supporting it. Golden personality indeed!!
____________________________________________________________________________
7/23/14
Brewed this Gong Fu style this morning. 190F water with short steeps—immediate rinse, 6-4-6-8-10
This tea is smoky. It seems more smoky Gong Fu style than when brewed Western. Still getting the other flavors that I did before but smoky is dominant this way today. Love Yezi teas!!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Orange Zest, Wood