Jin Pin

Cream, Malt, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Orange Zest, Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Day Four- Tea Pet's log: The sun intrigues me... I feel a strange need to stand outside in it for years until I grow taller. Loved ones keep trying to get my attention by calling my name....” Read full tasting note
    TeaPet 588 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so Yezi Tea has a sale going on and then reminded me that I have 3 lovely samples that have slowly made their way over to me and that I should have sampled a month ago. But I grabbed them when...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “This tea was quite nice - great notes of cocoa, caramel and smoke as promised. The smoke seemed a cross between grilly food and toast, without being over the top. Actually, quite a light black, yet...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1063 tasting notes
  • “I got this one as a sample with my last order from Yezi and I'm very glad that I did. It's smoky, malty, earthy, sweetish and oddly enough, creamy. It's almost like I added cream to this but I...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 538 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Jin Pin black loose-leaf tea comes from China’s famed Nanhu Mountain range, which is covered nearly year-round by a dense layer of fog. In addition, the extreme difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures there creates the ideal conditions for growing high-quality tea.

In Chinese, Jin Pin means gold personality. It is no coincidence that the brew produced by Jin Pin is a dark orange color. The tea produces a strong, smoky flavor with contrasting tones of chocolate and caramel. Yezi is able to bring you the finest-quality Jin Pin tea because of our collaboration with farmer Huang Jian. For the last 250 years, the Nanhu Mountain range has been home to some of China’s highest-quality organic teas, and we are confident that you’ll take just one sip and say, “I agree.”

Use: 4-5 grams or 3 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 50-60ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Time of day: Afternoons or early evenings
Temperature: 90-95 °C or 194-203 °F
Brew: 3-4 times
First brew: 20 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 15 seconds
Recommended tea set: Lu Yao porcelain or glass tea set

About Yezi Tea View company

I placed a Yezi Tea order a while back when they had their free shipping promotion. I have really really been enjoying straight blacks this summer and so I thought why not. I have had the opportunity to try quite a few Yezi Teas with out making a purchase so thought I would go ahead and support these guys. I threw this one into my cart without trying it and I will be honest it is not all that I had hoped for. It is a decent black tea, but nothing about it is unique. It is more like your every day cup of black tea. I am okay with that. I need this on those days when you just don’t know what you are looking for. It is a light tea with hints of bread and slight hints of cocoa. This tea won’t go to waste, but it probably will not make it back into my cupboard after I finish this 2oz. I have quite a few more from Yezi that I love more.

T&C TTB 23/23

I remember saving a small serving of this to try because I remember someone liking this more than a Verdant one that I don’t even remember the name of anymore. I saved this for months thinking I would hold off until I could write a proper review. Well I still can not but this is a yummy, malty, bready tea, I should purchase some or something like it and have it more often.

I was a little hesitant to try this tea because of the supposed smoke in the description, but it seems to be positively reviewed so I will give it a try! Sipping… I’m glad that there isn’t a bunch of smoke here. It’s earthy, smooth and tastes a bit like caramel and milk without any heavy sweetness. This is another tea that I would like to be stronger. The flavors are all nice, but are quite faint. It’s difficult to enjoy the more delicious elements because the earthiness sort of takes over for me.

This was good I liked it, Not my favorite Yezi black tea, but nice enough for an everyday at work black.

When I opened the bag of tea and took a deep inhale, I was not immediately impressed. It smelled like tea.

But then I boiled the water and started to brew this, and wow, it’s gorgeous. The tea is a lovely amber color and the brewed tea smells exactly like the malted grains used in brewing beer. I mean exactly.

When the tea finally steeps and cools, and I take a sip, it tastes like it smells. Any homebrewer or beer aficionado would know this flavor. Grains can be malted a million different ways into colors from light to dark, and flavors from mild to strong. The flavor of this tea was in the mid-range, which happens to be my favorite.

I should have brewed this gong fu style, but I wanted a nice sip while I watched a film, so I used boiling water for around 4 minutes. There was a slight bitterness, but I made a second infusion, poured it into a tall mug with the first (gasp!) and drank it that way. It was excellent and less bitter than the first steep alone.

I also tried adding just a hint of rock sugar, maybe just 1/2 tsp, which cut the minimal bitterness and really let the malty flavor shine.

I didn’t really pick up other flavors, but whatever. It’s probably because I am malt-obsessed, so when that appeared, I didn’t care about anything else. I was thrilled with this tea.

Flavors: Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

From the Nanhu Mountain range, China.
In Chinese, Jin Pin means gold personality. The dry leaves do have a fun personality; they are small, thin brown threads mixed in with golden blonde threads that smell malty.
I brewed this tea Western style, tasting at every minute and steeped for a total of 3 minutes at 190F.
The wet leaves smell like baked brown peasant bread with a bit of citrus peel.
The liquor is a dark orange jewel color that smells like malt, honey, touch of cocoa.
The flavor is well balanced with a citrus note up front, a brown bread note, smoke, small cocoa, and a honey note on the nose more than the palette.
Overall, smoky tea with lots of interesting flavors supporting it. Golden personality indeed!!
____________________________________________________________________________
7/23/14
Brewed this Gong Fu style this morning. 190F water with short steeps—immediate rinse, 6-4-6-8-10
This tea is smoky. It seems more smoky Gong Fu style than when brewed Western. Still getting the other flavors that I did before but smoky is dominant this way today. Love Yezi teas!!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Orange Zest, Wood

This is the second Jin Pin I’ve had and I’ve come to find that I am quite fond of these teas.

This tea has a strong roasted scent in the first steep before it settles down in the background. It has consistent tones of cocoa and butter toffee, and longan.

The initial steep had a fruity top note of longan and peaches with cocoa over roasted grain notes,and a butter toffee where the candy has been slightly overcooked giving a stronger browned butter note and a little bitterness. The tea has a soft and slightly powdery texture.

In later steeps the peach dissapears, leaving only longan, the cocoa transitions to milk chocolate than Ovaltine and a nutty roasted cashew type note appears. As well a malt note becomes apparent. I steeped it 4 times( 20, 35, 50, 90s).

Quite enjoyable. Special thanks to Dexter3657 for the sample!

jump62359

Oh dang. This tea sounds great!

TeaExplorer

That does sound really good. Added to wishlist :)

2010 tasting notes

Thank you Kat_Maria for sending this my way. I don’t usually reach for straight blacks but for some reason, this has been calling to me. So today I finally decided to brew up a cup and I am glad i did. This tea is delicious! It is malty with notes of chocolate and caramel. There is even a hint of honey. Amazing! I guess tastes really do change :)

Kat_Maria

I am so glad you like it! It’s one of my favorite black teas at the moment :) There are some straight blacks out there that taste like flavored, desserty, rich goodness!

ifjuly

this one definitely grew on me. i thought it was a very well made tea the first time i had it, but it didn’t, you know, GRAB me personally…then months later i found myself craving it…to the point i restocked it, and now once in a while i spend like 3 days straight binging on it then forgetting about it for months. it’s funny. but i really like it, yeah!

VariaTEA

I resteeped this, drank it cold, and still love it. I am still thinking about it. Something tells me there will be a Yezi tea order in my future.

Kat_Maria

Yay!!! I love Yezi! Even though I ordered from them like… once so far :D :D Well, if you count their free samples for new customers offer, then twice. But what I’ve tried is always superb quality and tastes delicious. Their teas also yield many resteeps. Good stuff.

I’m up early so figured I would dig into this sample from Yezi tea. I’m also a bit lacking in dexterity so I didn’t want to fool around with a gaiwan this morning.

I went for one initial steep via mug method for the first cup. First impressions are that this is lightly fruity with some gentle notes of malt. Very mellow, lacking in bitterness which is a plus for yours truly. It’s easy to sip on plain. I am still sleepy but feel like I notice something creamy in the aroma of this tea, perhaps it’s coconut, hmm.

Second steep I did for 3 minutes to see what other flavors I could coax out of it. It still seems very light and mild with gentle cocoa notes. Other people have mentioned a smoke note and I think I’m getting a bit of that here in the finish. Also still getting a kind of creaminess with this tea.

I’d prefer to drink something mild like this in the afternoon but overall I quite like it. It doesn’t need additions at all but takes a splash of soymilk fairly well. This tea is like an easy going friend.

Aaah, yet another wonderful tea from Yezi. Chinese black tea of gorgeous, golden-licked, swirly, needle-like leaves. It steeps into a dark ruby brew that is slightly more on the copper side than I am used to with Chinese black teas. It is also very clear and I wish I was having it in a mug not quite as tea-stained as the one I am using (the only mug that comes with an infuser that I own!).

The aroma at first made me think of how a forest ground smells when it is moist – slightly needle-piney, earthy and sap-sweet. Later on I am getting complex sweetness of maple and burnt sugar.

But the taste of it… So malty! Did I ever mention that I love malty beers, like stouts and porters? Well, the way this Jin Pin tastes reminds me of sweet maltiness of some of my favorite stouts. It never transfers to the chocolate side, it stays on the sweet syrup side, and the tiny astringency in the aftertaste adds to its complexity. There’s also earthiness that I detect, and that the aroma hinted at. Not really like pu-erh, the earthiness seems more elusive here. I think, in general, this tea is full of notes that are very elusive – but exquisite.

I hope to resteep the hell out of it before I leave for work today :D

love Yezi teas! and their customer service is awesome :)

Anna

Hehehe.

Kat_Maria

I know, I absolutely love them. I have been eyeing their starter collections for a while, they seem like a great deal. * sighs* Maybe in a couple of months…

MissLena

I have an unopened bag of this at home! I forgot about it! I know what tea I’m having tonight…lol, I enjoy stouts too, this sounds quite tasty :D

Kat_Maria

It’s just as delicious on a second steep. You’re in for a treat tonight :D

MissLena

Haha I realized I don’t have this one I have jin jun mei, which is also very delicious!

Kat_Maria

I am sure it is! I will definitely have to get it one day.