Wen Shan Pouchong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Flowers, Nutty, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlog: Deliciously delicate and yet so full of flavor. I love teas like this, that have so much complexity ... so many layers to explore. Silky and creamy texture, slightly vegetative and...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “Took advantage of Yezi's three free samples, and got the package in the mail yesterday with a surprise pouchong sample. Very fresh and sweet with mild spinach and honeysuckle flavors. Just a...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 112 tasting notes
  • “I made a little pot of this Pouchong one afternoon along with another Yezi tea, their Dong Ding Winter Peak. It was fun to taste the two side-by-side. I am just becoming better acquainted with...” Read full tasting note
    Charissa 70 tasting notes
  • “Very nice Yezi. Dry leaf notes of dried cherry and wisps of flowery bouquets. I brewed according to guidelines a 5g sample in 150ml gaiwan. The wet leaf aromas where like opening my brain to...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 74 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

This delicate oolong is so light in flavor that it frequently causes many a Chinese tea connoisseur to compare it to a green tea. Baozhong has been grown on the mountain slopes of the rural Pinglin District of Taipei since the eighteenth century. Yezi’s Baozhong is brought to you by local tea farmer Gao Xiu Chen. Needless to say, after over two hundred years of cultivating and harvesting it, the tea farmers of Pinglin do an excellent job with their Baozhong.

Baozhong tea leaves are naturally curled instead of rolled and have characteristic white-gray patches reminiscent of snowflakes viewed, perhaps, through the windows of a ski lodge. The brew from this fabled loose-leaf tea is pale and pure and has distinct notes of orchid and lemon that will evoke an aura of springtime no matter the time of year.

About Yezi Tea View company

Backlog:

Deliciously delicate and yet so full of flavor. I love teas like this, that have so much complexity … so many layers to explore.

Silky and creamy texture, slightly vegetative and sweet.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/03/wen-shan-pouchong-oolong-tea-yezi-tea/

Took advantage of Yezi’s three free samples, and got the package in the mail yesterday with a surprise pouchong sample.

Very fresh and sweet with mild spinach and honeysuckle flavors. Just a small sip fills the mouth with its buttery flavor and aroma. Really nice, and one of their more affordable teas to boot!

mrmopar

Had to get in on this too. You can probably guess what I got!

tperez

Haha, their pu looked interesting, can’t wait to see what you think about it

mrmopar

Got two of them and the one you just had!

I made a little pot of this Pouchong one afternoon along with another Yezi tea, their Dong Ding Winter Peak. It was fun to taste the two side-by-side. I am just becoming better acquainted with oolongs and figured that doing an “oolong tasting” of different kinds would be a good way for me to pick up on the nuances of flavor between them.

I steeped this Pouchong in a ceramic teapot for 4 minutes. The color of the liquor, like the Dong Ding, was a lovely golden hue. The aroma and taste was of sweet cream, honey and lemon, with hints of vanilla and pine; and it was also slightly vegetal like green tea. Oh gosh it was splendid. I think I was in heaven.

Needless to say, I am really, really enjoying these oolongs that share similarities with green tea. I like green tea, but sometimes it can be a little sharp, a little too vegetal, so I have to be in the right mood for it. Oolongs, or at least the few I’ve tried so far, seem to contain the best of what I like about green tea yet with flavors entirely their own, and they are just oh so mellow and sweet and delicious! How have I not tried these before? Wow, have I been living in a bubble or what?! I am SO pleased with this tea and wish I could make a million pots of it and drink it all day long, morning, noon, and night. Food? Don’t need it. All the flavor I could want is already here, contained in this cup.

Another day when I have time I would like to do shorter and more frequent steeps to separate out and pinpoint the flavors. That should enable me to provide a more thorough analysis. For instance, I think I detect some floral notes, but which flowers?

Very nice Yezi. Dry leaf notes of dried cherry and wisps of flowery bouquets. I brewed according to guidelines a 5g sample in 150ml gaiwan. The wet leaf aromas where like opening my brain to Proust. Dried cherry aromas are now forefront with yellow cake and sequoia. The flavor is indeed delicate but certainly not understated. These farmers should be kings for growing such a nice tea. Its even keel, and the perfumes do not over power you nose or palate. I had 6 steeps with number three exhibiting all the beauty this tea has. Thanks for the samples Yezi Teas.

Smells like a buttery TGY, but has a delightfully understated flavor all its own. The initial flavor is not exceptional, like a typical green oolong, but it’s very smooth and develops well.

Free Yezi tea sample.

Aroma is light and green; vegetal is too strong a descriptor, this is far more delicate… it’s also mildly sweet.

Taste is where this oolong shines, not only does it withstand a good few infusions, 4 before I found the taste to be too far removed from the first steep, but it also stays right with the aroma; something not enough teas manage. I’ll definitely be buying more of this

Sipdown and backlog from last night:

I’m having a really tough week right now. I’m still sick (ear infection), on medicine that’s making me jittery, and working on a group project in one of my classes. Unfortunately, it’s one of those that only gets more complicated as you get further into it. My mother was nice enough to offer to make me dinner and tea last night, and when I asked for some kind of plain oolong she brought me a pot of this.

At first this seemed lighter than I usually like my oolongs: slightly earthy, some hay notes, and a touch of greenness. Then as it started to cool the sweet, almost melon-y aftertaste asserted itself and completely changed my mind. This is a very enjoyable tea, and a nice companion for a rough night. I would gladly drink it again (but sadly, it’s all gone).

Brewed with glass test tube steeper. Steeping times: 45, 60, 75, 90, 120.

The leaves are dark green and long and twisty, like gnarled branches in an old forest. They are perfect for the test tube steeper. I liked watching them become enlarged and turn into a lighter green. Very alive and plant-like. The dry and wet leaf aroma alike are thick with vegetal and buttery notes. After the second infusion, the wet leaf began to smell like dried pineapple. The liquor is bright green with fuzzy particles, yet clean with a bright personality. Texture is a little creamy. Flavors of spinach, bok choy, and sugar snap peas are present, and the aftertaste is predominantly floral. Overall, the feeling is fresh and clean. Good for all year round: complements warmer months, evokes spring warmth during winter.

This is the only Wen Shan Baozhong I’ve had, but I really like this. One of my favorites of Yezi.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cameron B.

Yay, someone else thinks of gnarled branches when they see leaves! :D

Origin: Wen Shan District, Taiwain
Dry Leaf: Scent is nutty, buttery and leaves are deep forest/spinach green color. They are thick, twisted threads.
Method: 4 oz porcelain gaiwan 200F 45" then 55" steep
Wet Leaf: Floral, buttery, tangerine scent. Medium to large size leaves that had been twisted. All the leaves have carefully had the large part of the stem removed. Very precise and uniform leaves.
Liquor: Light, clear, golden pineapple color. Smells fruity and sweet. Subtly floral.
Flavor: (45") Creamy mouthfeel, subtly floral, buttery. Absolutely no astringency or bitterness. Very high quality Oolong.
(55") Still buttery and very good. Even after the leaves have opened up fully there is no astringency or bitterness. Very smooth Oolong.

Pouchong=
baozhong (Bao1 Zhong3) = very lightly oxidized tea (formerly?) wrapped in paper during drying, literally the Wrapped Kind (包种 or 包種) – in Taiwan this word is often applied to any oolong

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Flowers, Nutty

mj

Ooohhh I love pouchong!

This one is delicious!

apt

i had an aged baozhong last night

apt

i also have babelcarp bookmarked :P

Cool :)

mj

I wish-listed this one :)

Lee

Oh good, you will like :)

MzPriss

I’m wish-listing this as well. And I need to wait as I just got a Yezi order recently.

Lee

:) :) :) So good!! :) :) :)

MzPriss

Yezi has some good stuff. I’m in total love with the Yu Fu Chun – that is some addicting stuff, so I’m putting this one on the list for next order.

Lee

Yi Fu Chun is one of my absolute favorites,,,it stays in my cupboard

MzPriss

I got it as a sample. I went to Yezi to try the Jin Jun Mei, because I wanted to try one and everyone said that was the best one. And Yezi had the three samples thing and the Yu Fu was one of the ones I got and OMG it was so good. Jin Jun Mei was fine, but the Yu Fu was AWESOME! I hoard-ordered some of it.

This is way too floral for Dexter3657, but oh so perfect for me! I’m happy she sent this big sample my way…

Wenshan Baozhong/Pouchong are among my favourite oolongs. Almost considered green tea due to their very light oxidization, they are delicate and very floral.

This one is no exception. Not quite as good as the one I keep in stock (Tealux) but close enough to really indulge myself tonight.

Sweet and round mouthfeel, it feels buttery and creamy. Big notes of orchid and lilac, with a spearmint fresh finish. Wonderful!

Delicate but so tasty, a real spring celebration!

Thank you Dexter3657 for choosing this one for me, a perfect match :-)

MzPriss

I really enjoy floral oolongs.