Wen Shan Pouchong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Flowers, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlog: Deliciously delicate and yet so full of flavor. I love teas like this, that have so much complexity ... so many layers to explore. Silky and creamy texture, slightly vegetative and...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4322 tasting notes
  • “Took advantage of Yezi's three free samples, and got the package in the mail yesterday with a surprise pouchong sample. Very fresh and sweet with mild spinach and honeysuckle flavors. Just a...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes
  • “I made a little pot of this Pouchong one afternoon along with another Yezi tea, their Dong Ding Winter Peak. It was fun to taste the two side-by-side. I am just becoming better acquainted with...” Read full tasting note
    Charissa 58 tasting notes
  • “Very nice Yezi. Dry leaf notes of dried cherry and wisps of flowery bouquets. I brewed according to guidelines a 5g sample in 150ml gaiwan. The wet leaf aromas where like opening my brain to...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 55 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

This delicate oolong is so light in flavor that it frequently causes many a Chinese tea connoisseur to compare it to a green tea. Baozhong has been grown on the mountain slopes of the rural Pinglin District of Taipei since the eighteenth century. Yezi’s Baozhong is brought to you by local tea farmer Gao Xiu Chen. Needless to say, after over two hundred years of cultivating and harvesting it, the tea farmers of Pinglin do an excellent job with their Baozhong.

Baozhong tea leaves are naturally curled instead of rolled and have characteristic white-gray patches reminiscent of snowflakes viewed, perhaps, through the windows of a ski lodge. The brew from this fabled loose-leaf tea is pale and pure and has distinct notes of orchid and lemon that will evoke an aura of springtime no matter the time of year.

About Yezi Tea View company

Backlog:

Deliciously delicate and yet so full of flavor. I love teas like this, that have so much complexity … so many layers to explore.

Silky and creamy texture, slightly vegetative and sweet.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/03/wen-shan-pouchong-oolong-tea-yezi-tea/

Took advantage of Yezi’s three free samples, and got the package in the mail yesterday with a surprise pouchong sample.

Very fresh and sweet with mild spinach and honeysuckle flavors. Just a small sip fills the mouth with its buttery flavor and aroma. Really nice, and one of their more affordable teas to boot!

mrmopar

Had to get in on this too. You can probably guess what I got!

tperez

Haha, their pu looked interesting, can’t wait to see what you think about it

mrmopar

Got two of them and the one you just had!

I made a little pot of this Pouchong one afternoon along with another Yezi tea, their Dong Ding Winter Peak. It was fun to taste the two side-by-side. I am just becoming better acquainted with oolongs and figured that doing an “oolong tasting” of different kinds would be a good way for me to pick up on the nuances of flavor between them.

I steeped this Pouchong in a ceramic teapot for 4 minutes. The color of the liquor, like the Dong Ding, was a lovely golden hue. The aroma and taste was of sweet cream, honey and lemon, with hints of vanilla and pine; and it was also slightly vegetal like green tea. Oh gosh it was splendid. I think I was in heaven.

Needless to say, I am really, really enjoying these oolongs that share similarities with green tea. I like green tea, but sometimes it can be a little sharp, a little too vegetal, so I have to be in the right mood for it. Oolongs, or at least the few I’ve tried so far, seem to contain the best of what I like about green tea yet with flavors entirely their own, and they are just oh so mellow and sweet and delicious! How have I not tried these before? Wow, have I been living in a bubble or what?! I am SO pleased with this tea and wish I could make a million pots of it and drink it all day long, morning, noon, and night. Food? Don’t need it. All the flavor I could want is already here, contained in this cup.

Another day when I have time I would like to do shorter and more frequent steeps to separate out and pinpoint the flavors. That should enable me to provide a more thorough analysis. For instance, I think I detect some floral notes, but which flowers?

Very nice Yezi. Dry leaf notes of dried cherry and wisps of flowery bouquets. I brewed according to guidelines a 5g sample in 150ml gaiwan. The wet leaf aromas where like opening my brain to Proust. Dried cherry aromas are now forefront with yellow cake and sequoia. The flavor is indeed delicate but certainly not understated. These farmers should be kings for growing such a nice tea. Its even keel, and the perfumes do not over power you nose or palate. I had 6 steeps with number three exhibiting all the beauty this tea has. Thanks for the samples Yezi Teas.

Smells like a buttery TGY, but has a delightfully understated flavor all its own. The initial flavor is not exceptional, like a typical green oolong, but it’s very smooth and develops well.

This is way too floral for Dexter3657, but oh so perfect for me! I’m happy she sent this big sample my way…

Wenshan Baozhong/Pouchong are among my favourite oolongs. Almost considered green tea due to their very light oxidization, they are delicate and very floral.

This one is no exception. Not quite as good as the one I keep in stock (Tealux) but close enough to really indulge myself tonight.

Sweet and round mouthfeel, it feels buttery and creamy. Big notes of orchid and lilac, with a spearmint fresh finish. Wonderful!

Delicate but so tasty, a real spring celebration!

Thank you Dexter3657 for choosing this one for me, a perfect match :-)

MzPriss

I really enjoy floral oolongs.

This oolong has a light floral scent and the flavor is green, vegetal, slightly salty/tangy and floral.

I feel some difficulty in picking out specific notes, but the overall taste is rich while still remaining light. It’s a got a nice buttery green feel to it with just a hint of floral. Relaxing without being too heady. It has a Tie Guanyin feel to it but a little less green and more floral and light.

Flavors: Butter, Flowers, Grass

Thank you so much KiwiDelight for a surprise sample of this in our swap!

Wow this is a extremely floral oolong, without being perfumey! It is like a gentle lilac aroma floating on a breeze…sweet and slighty vegetal tasting too. I like it very much!!!

KiwiDelight

Yay! I like this one a lot, so glad you like too! :]

Light oolong that is yellow in color and has the aroma of sweet flowers. The flavor is light and sweet with vegetal and floral notes with just a hint of orange at the end. The texture of this tea is very smooth. Definitely a tea I would drink again.

205 °F / 96 °C