Gao Shan High Mountain Black Tea

Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Nuts, Peanut, Wood, Baked Bread, Herbs, Roasted, Thick, Wheat, Earth, Cream, Honey, Smoke, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Yezi Tea

Bittersweet moments often make for the best memories, and there’s no reason to assume that it should be any different for tea. Yezi is proud to bring you the bitter yet sweet Gao Shan high-mountain loose-leaf tea.

Gao Shan is grown high in the Nanhu Mountain range on the outskirts of Fuqing City in the Fujian province of China. At these elevations, the near-incessant fog cover and the extreme temperature difference between night and day help make for teas with a complex and diverse flavor palette. Gao Shan is a deep red-brown tea, and its strong, satisfying flavor makes many a tea connoisseur compare it to Kung Fu black tea. A brew of Gao Shan is ideal for firing you up on a dreary day when you could do with a burst of acceleration.

About Yezi Tea View company

I had this earlier today but couldn’t log it because of steepster issues. I don’t remember it much now – just that it was nice and then it cooled and was awfully bitter. Damn. But I’ve had a few great Yezi teas, so I’ll just focus there.

Thanks Sil (189)

Fantastic coco-ey, bold, dark, black tea from Yezi.
This is exactly the type of black tea that I love.

I revisited this tea because I just had some awesome green tea from Yezi using their proper steeping instructions and I realized that I over-leafed this one the other day. I looked at the wrong section for steeping and today I looked at the right one lol.
This is my old review from the other day that I am deleting but keeping here (because I like to have my reviews for a tea all in one place):

From Nanhu Mountain; Fuqing City, Fujian province, China.
Dry leaves are small black/brown twisted threads with a few golden ones mixed in. They smell malty, like malt-o-meal cereal.
I used a little glass gong-fu pot that I got. I love this little pot bc I could both brew the tea gong fu style and see the leaves and liquor progress at the same time.
The water was at 200F and first steep was 15 seconds then subsequent steeps for 25-30 seconds.
Liquor was a golden-amber color and wet leaves smell smoky.
Flavor is smoky,,,this tea tastes like Da Hong Pao. The dry leaves don’t look like Da Hong Pao but the flavor tastes like it with the smoky, espresso, and cream notes.

I got all those smoky notes on the 28th because I had too much leaf in there. I got a proper Gong Fu tea set too with serving pitcher because you need the serving pitcher.
This tea is delicious with notes of Vanilla and Cream and a natural sweetness of subtle honey. There is a light light touch of smoke but not like when I overleafed it the other day. It is subtle and hardly there.

I kept my old review here because you can see how overleafing can change the taste. I am glad that I had some more of this one to do a re-do. Yumm and I’m glad I know how to brew it now :) lol !!!

Brewed this one Gong Fu style today. Dry leaves are thread shaped and it has a beautiful golden colored liquor. The wet leaves are course, like a Da Hong Pao. They have definitely been twisted and smoked. The flavor is high mountain smoked creamy with not a lot of sweetness. This type of tea always gives me a caffeine buzz too so it is a good one for morning or early afternoon pick up if you are feeling drowsy.
All of Yezi’s teas are so delicious and high quality!!
Tried this one both Western and Gong Fu this morning. I brewed it at a lower temperature, 190F for 3 minutes in my little glass one cup size pot and then gong fu was immediate rinse, 30-15-30-30
Gong Fu brings out subtle notes and a focus on vanilla, cream, and honey with a touch of smoke. Western brings out a more intense blend of them all but completely balanced both ways. This tea is really really balanced in its flavors. Super good and I like the lower temp for me but Yezi recommends 200F. This tea is good all ways as long as you pay attention to your leaf and don’t overleaf.

gao shan (Gao1 Shan1) = high mountain (高山) or high elevation, especially in Taiwan

Flavors: Cream, Honey, Smoke, Vanilla

I had this earlier this morning, so I hope I am remembering how it tasted. I recall that it tasted it quite bready and malty, with a bit of tobacco in the aftertaste. I didn’t fine the chocolate notes, nor did I find this bitter. I also recall as the cup cooled, I found some muscatel notes coming through.

I found it to be enjoyable, and I wouldn’t turn it down if offered to me. Thank you Dexter3657 for the sample!

We’ve all had the experience of seeing a movie that was highly recommended and highly hyped—-American Hustle, for example—and left with a feeling of, I wouldn’t say disappointment, because the movie was enjoyable, but still, you wanted it to be better. After drinking Yezi’s Qing Pin and really liking it, I expected to be seduced by the Gao Shan. The first sips yielded dark chocolate, cherry and tobacco—pleasant but not transfixing. I agree with another reviewer that the cup got better as it cooled, producing a nice red-wine flavor entirely free from bitterness.

Overall, this is a very drinkable, high grade Chinese black, but I prefer the Qing Pin.

ha, I loved that movie :)

This is my second attempt at trying out this sample. When you keep the steeping time short (to around 10 seconds) it has some nice cocoa notes along with a bit of roasted/fruitiness that remind me a bit of a wuyi oolong. I’m surprised that some people have been steeping this tea for so long with good results. When I tried steeping mine for 40 seconds it became bitter to the point of being almost undrinkable. I’m glad I tried this but can’t seem to make it hit any kind of sweet spot where I am really enjoying it, it will go unrated for now.

0.7 tbsp for 188 ml

Dark cocoa note. Slight bean taste. Sweetness in lingering aftertaste. Straw note.

Thanks to Kittenna for sharing her sample with me!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 6 OZ / 188 ML

Bleh, I have no note on this one and can’t locate it. I guess I tried it and gave you the second half? (A year ago. Hahahaha.)