Da Yu Ling Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Bitter, Perfume, Sweet, Butter, Candy, Flowers, Garden Peas
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “As i said the last time I logged this, I get very little floral from this oolong. It's buttery and creamy, much like the Dong Ding that I drank from Teavivre this morning. I might like this oolong...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 471 tasting notes
  • “I've been looking forward to trying out another of the samples from Yezi. 3 out of my 4 samples were oolongs, but I put off sampling them because I haven't been in an oolong mood lately. I think...” Read full tasting note
    shortsorceress 1751 tasting notes
  • “Yes, today is an Oolong day! Specifically Da Yu Ling Oolong by Yezi Tea. This tea is the highest grade of Taiwanese Oolongs (ooh fancy!) and grows 7,500 ft above sea level where they are frequently...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 293 tasting notes
  • “Another oolong sample from Yezi Tea! When I opened up the packet, it smelled sweet and maybe a little nutty and buttery. I'm still pretty new to oolongs and identifying smells/tastes in tea, so...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 417 tasting notes

From Yezi Tea

Da Yu Ling is the highest grade of Taiwanese oolongs. A number of factors go into lending this tea its many fine qualities.

Da Yu Ling grows at 7,500 feet above sea level. At this elevation, there is a big difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures, as well as a constant dense fog. The temperature gradients and thick fog cover give the leaves of Da Yu Ling a thorough workout, so it’s in the best possible shape by the time it reaches your teapot.

Yezi’s Da Yu Ling loose-leaf tea is brought to you by tea farmer Gao Xiu Chen and has the light and smooth finish characteristic of many Taiwanese oolongs. This beautiful yellow tea, with a buttery aroma, is also distinguished by a sweet flavor topped off with floral and tangerine scents.

Use: 4-5 grams or 1-2 tsp. of tea
Water amount: 1 gram of tea / 30ml of water or 1 tsp. of tea / 3 oz. of water
Time of day: Daytime after meals
Temperature: 95-100 °C or 203-212 °F
Brew: 5-6 times
First brew: 45 seconds
Subsequent brews: Add 10-15 seconds

About Yezi Tea View company

As i said the last time I logged this, I get very little floral from this oolong. It’s buttery and creamy, much like the Dong Ding that I drank from Teavivre this morning. I might like this oolong slightly better, but I can’t say exactly why.

I’ve been looking forward to trying out another of the samples from Yezi. 3 out of my 4 samples were oolongs, but I put off sampling them because I haven’t been in an oolong mood lately. I think that is about to change because this tea is wonderful. I just wish I hadn’t been so distracted while I was drinking it, but it is after midnight already and I still have a lot to get ready before my guests arrive later today.

This tea has such a wonderful buttery texture to it. I love to find this texture in a tea, those are the ones that I generally get lost in, although there isn’t time for that tonight. It wasn’t nearly as floral as I expected, instead it had a subtle sweetness to it. Another wonderful sample from Yezi Tea, I can’t wait to try the other two later today.

Yes, today is an Oolong day! Specifically Da Yu Ling Oolong by Yezi Tea. This tea is the highest grade of Taiwanese Oolongs (ooh fancy!) and grows 7,500 ft above sea level where they are frequently blanketed by fog. Apparently the fog and temperature gradient turns this tea into a veritable warrior of flavor, fighting the other Oolongs to gracefully bow to you and claim it is your champion. Why yes, I have been reading High Fantasy again, why do you ask?

The aroma of the dry leaves is so good I actually moaned, I have no shame, but I am glad I was home alone while enjoying this tea. Very sweet and yeasty, like freshly baking bread. There is also the intoxicating scent of honey and orchids with a small afterthought of allspice. Here is where it gets weird, the aroma reminds me of the smell of Amanita bisporigera aka Destroying Angel, the world’s most toxic mushroom, and that is awesome. How is that awesome, you are probably asking, because those mushrooms smell great! Sweet like baking bread and flowers, pretty odd for such a deadly thing. I really swear this is a compliment from an avid amateur Mycologist.

Time for steeping! Oh no, I did it again, I inhaled the aroma and moaned in joy, how embarrassing. The steeping leaves take on a wonderfully rich roasted chestnut aroma that blends tantalizingly with the aroma of honey drenched orchids. I am not exaggerating when I say the aroma of the steeping leaves is mouthwatering. The liquid once the leaves have been removed smells much milder, like a whisper of the original aroma from the steeping leaves.

Why is this tea so good? I took a sip and just spaced out staring at the backyard while the flavor transports me to a trance state. The taste is very mild and subtle but the flavors that are there are so good, it is like tasting tea in a dream where the flavors are very clear but muted at the same time because this is a dream. Those dream like flavors are heady orchids and sweet honey.

If you guessed that I was going to try a second steeping then you are completely correct! The liquid takes on even more of an intense roasted chestnut aroma and becomes even headier. I think I am getting dizzy. The flavor is still very mild and similar to the first steep but now the chestnut taste starts to stand out. I also notice a mineral aftertaste that I always appreciate in an Oolong.

The third and final steep brings out even more intensity in the aroma, all the other scents that were there before are still there but take on a richer tone. The taste becomes more mellow but with the floral notes take center stage as the chestnut ones fade out. The longer you sip the more intense the floral taste becomes. I could get lost in this tea.

Blog review and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/10/yezi-tea-da-yu-ling-oolong-tea-tea.html

Another oolong sample from Yezi Tea! When I opened up the packet, it smelled sweet and maybe a little nutty and buttery. I’m still pretty new to oolongs and identifying smells/tastes in tea, so this may be confusing.

First steep: Steeped for 45 seconds as recommended. Has a buttery texture. It’s sweet, but not as sweet as I remember Li Shan being. Also tastes a little nutty. There is also a floral taste toward the end. As it cooled down, I started detecting a slight bitter aftertaste.

Second steep: Tastes pretty much the same except a little less buttery in texture. I’m sure there are nuances that I’m missing out on, but to me, it tastes good and that’s all that matters, haha.

Third steep: The water was definitely not hot enough, so I didn’t get the flavors as strongly. Aaand I don’t have time to steep any more, sad.

Overall, I did enjoy this tea. I think I prefer the Li Shan (also Yezi Tea) over this one because this was a little more bitter if I’m remembering correctly. Yay for exploring oolong!

A deep, rich golden color. Fragrant in an oolong kind of way with creamy mouthfeel. Flavors a little subtle compared to the color. The finish and depth of flavor was not nearly as long as the Li Shan from the same company. Maybe it was a steeping issue. I did not get a chance to do a second or third steeping so this review reflects only the first steeping.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Light Oolong with a buttery floral aroma. This tea has a sweet and buttery taste with floral a flavor. It is light and smooth but not a tea that really wowed me. It does have a bit of a spicy aftertaste like a cinnamon fireball, it is subtle but lingers.

205 °F / 96 °C

120ml Yixing pot
Steeping times: 5s rinse, 45s, 55s, 70s, 85s, 100s, 115s*, 175s, 205s*, 265s

First steep: Perfumey taste, light greenish yellow liquid. The leaves opened up a lot already!

Second steep: Lighter perfume taste. The leaves have now fully overtaken the yixing pot.

Third steep: Still perfume, with a bit of a bitter aftertaste that I’ve noticed with oolongs.

Fourth steep: The perfume flavor is beginning to lighten up a bit and the bitterness has magically vanished.

Fifth steep: Sooo much flavor still left in this! I’m definitely gonna push it past the recommended 6 steepings :)

Sixth steep*: Wooow and just like that almost no flavor. My fault though, I should have known to add more time than 15 seconds for the 6th steep

Seventh Steep: Ahh, yes and extra minute did the trick. The flavor is back! Noticing more sweetness this time around :)

Eight steep: Wow, very noticeably sweet this time! Except I added extra water to bring down the sweetness and ruined the cup :(

Ninth steep*: I can’t believe they seriously suggest only 5-6 steeps. What a crime! This steep has come back down almost the 6th steep level so I’m gonna bump up the next steeping time for one final hurrah.

Tenth Steep: The perfume flavor is mostly gone now and has been replaced by a sweet taste :)

*increase steeping time next time around for better flavor

Here is photo of that last steep: http://instagram.com/p/pEoGQvguIu/

Well, all good things must come to an end. This was probably the best oolong I’ve tasted. You can tell that it’s very high quality. For the record, I’m sure I could have gotten another few steepings out of this! This was just a 5g sample, but I think I may buy a few ounce someday :)

Flavors: Bitter, Perfume, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
KiwiDelight

Such a pretty pot!

KiwiDelight

So cute :3 And holy cow, that’s cheaper than the ones you find in Chinatown’s tourist shops!

madametj

I know how to find a deal. lol

Origin: He Huan Shan, Taiwan.
Thank u to Yezi Tea for this sample with purchase!!!
Dry Leaf: Tiny, tightly rolled green pellets with a mineral scent.
Method: 3.38 oz ceramic gong fu pot, 200F, 1 tsp tea
45" rinse/55"/55"
Wet Leaf: 2 fairly large leaves on a stem, very spinach green colored. Light floral with candy Sweet Tart scent.
Liquor: Light champagne – spring green color. Very light scent—not too floral, more of a light Sweet Tarts scent like the wet leaves.
Flavor: Thick mouthfeel. Not overly floral or creamy, very subtle. There are flowers, butter, spring peas and a nice balance. Not bitter or astringent at all but it is recommended to drink this tea after meals and I drank it 3 hours after a meal and did get a mild stomach upset (very very mild though) so one should heed this advice bc it’s pretty green.

Flavors: Butter, Candy, Flowers, Garden Peas

Cheri

This one sounds yummy! I think I’ll wishlist it.

This tea is gorgeous. I’m a little bit in love, with a tea. I’m resisting the urge to write: “on nom nom” as the entire review, because that’s probably not very helpful.

The dry tea smells like green tea, but after steeping, it smells like sweet flowers, with a little bit of berry. It smells like summer!

This was prepared gong fu style with just-under boiling water. First steep was 45 seconds, then 1:30, then 3 minutes. I prefer the longer infusions, but they were all great. The best infusion was at 1:30.

At 45 seconds, the color was very pale yellow and the flavor was quietly floral. After 1:30, the color deepened slightly and the flavor was sweet and flowery, but without being cloying. It’s hard to describe this effect, other than to say that it’s perfect. I can also taste the sweet berry flavor I was smelling as the tea brewed. After 3 minutes, the tea was a golden yellow and the floral flavors were more pronounced, but were still somehow subtle.

I want to drink this tea every single day. I’m currently kicking myself for not buying a larger bag, but it’s a little pricey. It’s absolutely worth the money, but for me, it will be saved for special occasions.

This tea is beautiful, amazing, delicious. Definitely my new fave!

From the first sip, I could tell that this was a high quality tea. Its leaves opened very nicely and were really pretty after the first steep.
Steep 1: Perfumey, vegetal. I didn’t do a wash, and I wish I did.
Steep 2: It had a nice, round taste with a sugary after taste. Very different from the first steep, and much more pleasant. This was my favorite steep.
Steep 3: Mineral and slightly bitter. Green tasting and light.
I would recommend this tea to someone who enjoys green teas and is looking to try an oolong for the first time. I have been drinking darker oolongs and black teas lately, so it was a nice change of pace tonight.

5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML