Ginger

Herbal Tea
Ginger, Licorice, Peppermint, Pepper
Edit tea info Last updated by dawn

From Yogi Tea

I like this after a meal for its digestive properties, but not too close to bedtime. The ginger really jolts me some times.

And of course, Yogi has great graphics. Aesthetic pleasure is part of my enjoyment.

From Yogi:

A TANTALIZING TALE OF GINGER TEA
This is the story of ginger, which centuries ago was first used to relieve stomach discomfort and aid digestion. Today, its healing reputation continues as a safe and mild remedy for a variety of conditions, including motion sickness and occasional upset stomach.* In our flavorful organic Ginger tea, we build on this therapeutic tradition by adding our unique blend of herbs and spices to complement its invigorating warmth. After all, a healthy life deserves some spice!

GET THE MOST OUT OF EVERY CUP
As a digestive aid, drink our Ginger tea with your meal.* Repeat 15 to 20 minutes after your meal. For a stronger effect, use 2 tea bags. To soothe an occasional upset stomach, sip a cup as needed.

INGREDIENTS
Organic Peppermint Leaf, Organic Licorice Root, Organic Lemongrass, Organic Ginger Root, Organic Black Pepper.

About Yogi Tea View company

My last bag! I did enjoy this, even though I could have used just a wee bit less pepper in this tisane. I’m not going to replace this one – I’ve already bought some organic ginger root from Upton for the nights when I’m in the mood for ginger :)

Mercuryhime

Ah! I totally would have given you my ginger from Upton. Turns out I only like pure ginger tea if it’s fresh ginger. I don’t suppose you still want it… I should probably just put it up for grabs on the swap thread.

JacquelineM

Thanks for the offer, but I have quite a big bag! I bet someone would love it on the swap thread.

I really like this tea after a meal, and it tastes really good. I must have a more recent one, because the packaging is different.

Just now I was sitting hunched over my computer, trying not to think about the tax deadline, and suddenly I was very glad to remember that I had an unopened box of ginger tea on the shelf.

Oh my goodness, the scent was delightful when I tore open the packet. Ginger (which I love) and lemon, which I sometimes love. I let it steep a long time, leaving the bag in, and continuing to sniff as it steeped. The ginger aroma is very strong and pleasant.

First sip or two confirms the gingery/peppery flavor. This is a tea for those who enjoy the heat of ginger, not just its sweet spiciness. I am one of those people, frequently asking for chopped ginger at Asian restaurants to mix into unexpectedly bland dishes. I don’t care for jalapenos in general, but I do like ginger and I do like black pepper, and this tea, with a sharp little bite of lemon/lemongrass at the end, is very appealing. I do not taste the licorice or peppermint, but I can feel the coolness of the mint tempering the heat of the ginger when I hold a mouthful before swallowing.

Definitely a keeper. And I haven’t though about the tax deadline for several minutes now.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

This is a standard tea in my house, all of my family love it and we drink it pretty much every day. Every now & then when we are running low I go to Trader Joe’s (who sell it for a dollar less than I’ve seen anywhere else) and buy ten boxes at a time. This is a tea for people who really LOVE ginger and licorice, it is firey, peppery and bold with a strong licorice undernote. To let you know where I’m coming from when I need the curative powers of ginger I just eat ginger root raw and I grew up being given licorice root to chew on as a “candy” by my hippie mother. Ginger & licorice make me very, very happy. When I’m going out on an expidition I often throw a bag of this into a thermal flask, fill it up with boiling water and let it steep for hours, it just gets better the longer you steep it.

Barb

Haven’t tried this yet but found it at a local grocery yesterday evening. We are supposed to be getting a couple of Trader Joe’s later this year. How’s the tea selection overall?

SuperHrefna

Not that great I’m afraid! But everything they do have is very reasonably priced. The TJs I’ve been to usually have two flavors of Yogi tea, some boxed pre-made chai and a range of (bagged) green, black & herbal tea. Sometimes they have white tea and flavored teas as well. I’ve tried a variety of their teas but the only one I really like is Yogi ginger – but then I love that and am so grateful they have it cheap, so I can’t complain too much!

Barb

I think I’m going to have to start mail-ordering to support my growing tea/tisane adventure. It’s good to know that TJ has good prices, though!

A lot of people enjoy this tea for digestive purposes. I would like to add that not only is it great for soothing an upset tummy, but it is also wonderful on an upset throat! A nice hot cup of this can work wonders on a sore throat. It is quite strong, but great for sipping.

Cofftea

I wonder if this is similar to the loose “Throat Soother” I have… mine is sweet and looks like hay. Thank GOD it doesn’t taste like the licorice candy. Not real keen on the taste, but it works like a charm (my mother and I were both very sick w/ horrilbe colds over Christmas) and my aunt got me 1oz for Christmas.

harukaJU

Possibly. I confess to having the bag version. I prefer loose leaf, but will take any tea I can get my dirty little paws on. This one was a gift and I had a very sore throat at the time. I live in Japan, so western herb teas require some effort to get, and it was a big help. I would not call it tasty, and it ruined anything you tried to eat with it. It was very helpful to drink before bed though.

I love ginger, and this tisane delivers in a big way. A big ol’ “I feel my gums stinging” kind of way, which is great if you have eaten a big meal, have a stomach ache etc. But this isn’t a take it with you and a book to bed kind of cup.

Boiling 8 min or more

The kick of ginger is nice, but my favorite part of this tea is the lingering sweetness it leaves in the back of the mouth and throat.

Like others have said, the black pepper gets overpowering if you steep too long. If something says, “Steep for 5-10 minutes” I go for 10 usually but I’ll back this one off next time. Still nice after the big lunch I just had. It’s decent, I might keep it around the office for afternoons, but there are other grocery store teas that I prefer.

Boiling 8 min or more

This stuff is really good for blah blah blah. really this stuff is just REALLY GOOD!!! I heart ginger tea! and it’s cheap!

I love ginger, so I was expecting to like this one. Strong taste of ginger, with a hint of peppermint and the sweetness of licorice. Nice bite of ginger in the aftertaste. Warms me up and improves circulation during days when I feel stagnant.

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Peppermint