Throat Comfort

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ralph

• “So when the weather changes here, and it finally gets hot, the air conditioning units go on pumping cool air along with dust, pollen, dirt, etc etc into the air. Needless to say, I have had a...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “Mixed this 50-50 with Celestial Seasonings' Madarin Orange Spice tonight, and I like it _a lot_ better this way. The anise taste is still there, especially on the back end, but it's not the only...” Read full tasting note
    teabird 403 tasting notes
  • “I've been giving this little teabag package the evil eye for about an hour. I don't feel good and the thought of anything in my regular collection made my stomach turn a little. Well, the sore...” Read full tasting note
    kristinthomas 302 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample/gift from the wonderful *KeenTeaThyme*. I didn't think I'd be breaking it out so soon! But the quick change in weather has left me with a scratchy throat, stuffed nose and all the...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes

From Yogi Tea

The perfect way to soothe an irritated throat is with a cup of our Throat Comfort tea. In this gently effective herbal formula, we combine slippery elm bark and mullein for their usefulness in relieving minor irritation in the mucous membranes of the throat. We also include wild cherry bark for both its soothing effects and pleasant fruity flavor. Our unique formula helps create a protective slippery coating along the throat lining,* and its naturally sweet taste gives both children and adults something to sing about!

About Yogi Tea View company

So when the weather changes here, and it finally gets hot, the air conditioning units go on pumping cool air along with dust, pollen, dirt, etc etc into the air. Needless to say, I have had a cough/sore throat for over a week. They are not a cold – I have no other signs, they are from the AC and then outside into the hot NJ air.

Not complaining, just trying to remedy it with some of this tea. This tea, though licorice flavored, is good, especially for the throat, it definitely does help to coat and soothe. I think that the warm slightly sweet liquid also has some coating and soothing aspects, but I am glad I had this this morning. Now onto my caffeine…

Jennifer

Could not have said it better myself. And kudos on your rating system; may have to use (read: steal) that in my bio, with a few tweaks of course.

Mixed this 50-50 with Celestial Seasonings’ Madarin Orange Spice tonight, and I like it a lot better this way. The anise taste is still there, especially on the back end, but it’s not the only thing going on anymore. The orange comes through very well in the aroma and beginning of a sip. I’m not going to adjust the rating, but I’d give this particular blend at least a 50.

Boiling 8 min or more

I’ve been giving this little teabag package the evil eye for about an hour. I don’t feel good and the thought of anything in my regular collection made my stomach turn a little. Well, the sore throat finally won and I made this tea. It’s not bad at all. I was so worried because there are a couple of kinds of tea in that cold sampler box that are horrid (but work). This one is actually ok, so don’t be afraid. It’s licorice-y (which I don’t like so much but not overpowering) and gingery. And weirdly makes my throat feel better.

Update – dropping my rating as I don’t like it as much as it cools and there is a weird pile of cruft at the bottom of the mug. I don’t dig cruft,

gmathis

I wish there was a throat thing that didn’t have nasty licorice in it.

Kristin

maybe it’s the secret ingredient?

Angrboda

In herbal medicine licorice has a beneficial effect on the respiratory system, so I think most herbal teas that claim to be ‘throat tea’ will have licorice in it. It seems a logical choice for a throat soother.

gmathis

I always joke that my tongue feels like I’ve licked a glue stick after I have licorice—-which would explain its throat-coat properties.

This was a sample/gift from the wonderful KeenTeaThyme. I didn’t think I’d be breaking it out so soon! But the quick change in weather has left me with a scratchy throat, stuffed nose and all the joys that come with my body hating me for no good reason. Then again maybe there is a reason and I just don’t know what it is.

ANYWAY…this smells slightly medicinal to me and makes me not want to drink it. But I’m forcing myself to do just that. It actually isn’t half bad taste wise. Not great either, but I can deal with it. I just want to beat down whatever this is so it doesn’t turn into something really bad.

gmathis

I couldn’t take this one … way too much licorice. For sore throat, I’ll just stick with something hot and minty to clear out the goo.

I really dislike this tea, but it works- when my throat is as sore as it is right now, I need some help. The sore throat is part of my annual late-summer/early autumn turning of the seasons cold. It’s always sinus and throat that act up. I dislike the taste of slippery elm bark, but force myself to use it because it IS such a good herbal remedy- it’s just kind of sickeningly, cloyingly sweet. If this review doesn’t make any sense I should probably refrain from reviewing things while ill, but I didn’t. Blorg!

Boiling 8 min or more

So i woke up this morning feeling like my Throat had been slashed with a hot poker I was so tired when i noticed this that i started thinking my Nieces were writing there name on my throat So after a long day of meds and Sleep i am now drinking this tea the smell is very weird…. I feel like its got something you cook with in it… IM starting to think my stuffy nose is killing my smell lol BUT this tea is good and is doing its job!!! so its defiantly going to the Smile On the rating lol

You guessed it. Sore throat! Tag says “Every smile is a direct achievement.” Very true when feeling under the weather.

8 min or more
takgoti

Hope that in the six days that have passed [great Poseidon, I’ve only gotten through six days of logs?!] since you logged this you’ve gotten better!

mindala

Haha. Feeling much better thanks to some antibiotics, but tea certainly helped me through it all.

I woke up at 4am this morning feeling like I’d swallowed a bunch of broken glass. I tried a battery of remedies, including tea made from the Chinese herb pang da hai, Emergen-C, a popsicle made of pickle juice, a warm salt water gargle, and a shot of vodka with lime juice. Did I get a little tipsy at 5am? You betcha. I eventually fell back asleep and slept until it was time to get ready for work (1pm). I made it through a day of teaching classes thanks to some ibuprofin. I picked up some of this tea while grabbing some groceries for dinner on my way home.

I brewed a cup as soon as I got home, steeped for 10 solid minutes. Finally, a little relief for my poor throat. It tastes very much like licorice, fennel, and clove, which I think are all tasty. It was sweet and soothing. Then I made a second cup with a big squeeze of lemon (had a little extra from my sautéed lemon veggies) and a squirt of honey (which I never do since I think honey is way too much for my tea). I preferred it plain, but wow, now I get why people put honey and lemon together. The brightness of the lemon cuts through the ‘thickness’ of the honey.

Overall, this is definitely a medicinal tea. I won’t see myself drinking it when I’m feeling better, but great to get through the bugs that come my way after spending my days with tons of ‘moist’ kids. At the end of March we’re doing another round of elementary school visits, which means an additional 12 hours of teaching time per week for two weeks. You’ll probably see another entry for this one when March rolls around.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

This really helped my sore throat! Not a very tasty tea but that’s not really the point.

Took a walk down to the farmer’s market today, maybe getting loaded up on fruits and vegetables will be good for my immune system??

Anyway I decided I was going to pick this up on the way home and drink some today. Here’s the ingredients list:
Licorice Root
Ginger Root
Mullein Leaf
Clove Bud
Black Pepper

This is like a cornucopia of spices, but not exactly pleasant tasting. It seems like a spicy licorice soup if you ask me. Aside from the licorice there’s also black pepper and ginger that seem really strong. It’s a bit like a chai but not nearly as palatable. I would not recommend this solely on the basis of the flavor, but it is a medicinal tea after all. Hopefully it will do the trick and help dispel my germs. I used two teabags for a large mug of tea.

Boiling
TheTeaFairy

My goodness, if that list of ingredients doesn’t make you feel better, I don’t know what will!
Feel better :-)

gmathis

If it wasn’t for that nasty licorice :) Unfortunately, I think that’s the key throat-soothing ingredient.

TeaBrat

I don’t hate licorice as much as other people seem to. It does always overwhelm everything else in a tea though.

Amariel

I hate everything licorice-like, so that includes fennel and anise as well. Some types of cinnamon too.

Amariel

But yeah, it’s a key factor in the sore throat stuff.