Ginseng Guardian

Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

From Yumchaa

Taste Like: Creamy Lemon

Drink When: Every Morning

This tea has a growing fan club that swears by its vast array of healthy qualities and loves to rave about its flavour. The sharpness of the lemon are mellowed by the freeze dried creamy yoghurt vanilla granules and rounded off by the natural sweetness of the ginseng. The ginseng itself is an incredible root; it is something called an adaptogen which means it contains lots of different properties and your body takes from it what it needs at the time. It is best known as a natural energiser so it’s a great alternative to that morning coffee. Conversely, it is also very good at building up a resistance against the symptoms of stress so you’ll sleep better AND it strengthens the immune system.

Ingredients: Ginseng root, Lemongrass, Lemon Fruit Granulate, Sunflower Blossomsn Freeze Dried Yoghurt, Vanilla and Sencha Green Tea. 100g

About Yumchaa View company

I’m feeling a bit under the wheather today, so I was considering making me some comfort tea. My initial tea-want was the lovely toffee flavoured one from LPdT, but then I remembered Cteresa having sent me this one in her latest care package and written ‘the tea for hangovers or being ill!’ on the bag, so I thought that would be a pretty obvious choice.

It tastes primarily lemon-y and ginseng-y. Well, I’m not super-certain about the latter, but I think that must be it. It’s a bit like non-ginger-y ginger in flavour. Ginger that isn’t so sharp and warm and prickly. Ginger sweetened with licorice-y notes, sorta. I can’t really explain it, it’s just the association I get. (Note, the blend does not actually contain either ginger or licorice of any sort)

I don’t care for ginger, and I have to say I don’t really care much for ginseng either.

I do quite like the lemon-y aspect of the blend, and I think lemon is a much better, much fresher flavouring in green tea than in black. In green tea, I think it underlines the base quite nicely, and the lemon is probably what rescues this for me.

It’s not something I would drink on a regular basis; it’s not that rescued, but right now it is quite soothing and perking me up a bit, so I will rate it according to the circumstances as well as the flavour.

For being ill? Yes, I can see that. It’s not like teas for being poorly necessarily have to be horrid.

Azzrian

Get feeling better ! Take care of you! :)

cteresa

Hope you are feeling better!

I do not think i would like ginseng on its own, or even in most blends, but this tea is very conforting for me when I am feeling ill! without tasting horrible.

Missy

Hope you feel better soon!. Le sigh I keep losing comments I make. Any one else still having that trouble?

Missy

Woot the comment took. That’s the third time I’ve posted that one!

CHAroma

Feel better soon!

I unfortunately didn’t make it to a Yumchaa shop during my stay in London but I did find one of their stalls in a market. They didn’t have their entire selection available, but it was just enough to make it fun to choose. And I scooped up 300 grams of tea for £12, probably half of what I would pay for anything at home.

This one didn’t jump out at me. I find ginseng not unpleasant but very distinctive and straight-up herbally tasting. It’s kind of like chamomile for me. Anyway, the man at the stall said this was his favourite which prompted me to take a sniff and a closer look. I noticed the vanilla and yoghurt and was intrigued. I try (and usually forget) to take ginseng in capsules, so why not get it in some tea for that price?

This is nice. The ginseng is very much there but it’s smoothed out by the vanilla and creaminess. An interesting blend. I was getting a citrus note and confused by it until I re-read the ingredients and noticed the lemon and lemongrass. Nicely balanced and subtle. I’m quite pleased with the quality of sencha in this and the other green I bought, as well.

cteresa

Sounds interesting, I am tempted to order this one ( they do some email ordering). What other two did you get?

Jessie

It is interesting, and a nice change. I also got the Mango Sunrise which I’ve only had cold (but it was very nice) and Notting Hill, which I haven’t tried yet. I picked up some Lemon Sherbert for my mother who can’t have caffeine so I will hopefully get to try that, too.

Their prices are so reasonable I’m going to be tempted to order by email, too!

Jessie

And, of course, thank you for the suggestion of Yumchaa! I probably wouldn’t have found them there otherwise.

cteresa

You are welcome , I found them by accident myself. But I really like their teas, the quality is very nice and the balance of the tastes is just right for me, even when it sounds unlikely, it all tastes balanced and just right. And for some of their blends ended being total essentials for me – I think I am now on my 4th pack of Berry Berry Nice!
I will try this one soon as well, it sounds lovely.

I think I will probably not like ginseng on its own. And I am pretty sure this is very ginseng-y. My first try of this I was really uncertain. It´s its own thing. it´s ginsengy, very. But then it is blended so well with things I love that I do love it, and somehow they have that magic where this tea just leaves you with this wonderful well-feeling.

About the medicinal properties, I do not know for sure. But it feels possible, a real feel-good tea and this is going on my staples rebuy-before-it´s-out list.

PS – not canonical for green tea, but I am brewing it really hot, and drinking it as hot as I can manage and really loving it that way.

Nicely sweet and very herbal— not sure what exactly to rank it on because it’s my first ginseng. Ahh well, it was a good start?