Imperial Grade Laoshan Black Tea from Shandong * Spring 2016

banana, Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Sugar, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by AllanK

• Sample from Hoálatha Notes of dark chocolate which lingers on the tip of the tongue in the aftertaste. A softer mouthfeel that the Classic Laoshan. I loved that the dark chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    Rufus 196 tasting notes
  • “I’m so torn about this tea. It’s definitely cocoa-y and a bit malty. No bitterness though there’s an astringency that I feel rather than taste. I tried steeping shorter times...” Read full tasting note
    happykappa 78 tasting notes
  • “Dry cocoa with a hint of that dark chocolate bitter taste from the first bite. A different type of taste than the higher grade stuff from Verdant. When it comes down to pairing: this is a tea to...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 1001 tasting notes
  • “The brew to this smells more appealing after the Classic version—more like a chocolate biscuit. The wet leaves almost smell like a hot cereal with cocoa. There’s something almost liquor smelling...” Read full tasting note
    Hoalatha 212 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing US

Product description not available yet.

About Yunnan Sourcing US View company

Sample from Hoálatha

Notes of dark chocolate which lingers on the tip of the tongue in the aftertaste. A softer mouthfeel that the Classic Laoshan. I loved that the dark chocolate note had coated the mouth on the initial sip, and lingered behind in the aftertaste.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate

I’m so torn about this tea. It’s definitely cocoa-y and a bit malty. No bitterness though there’s an astringency that I feel rather than taste. I tried steeping shorter times but found it thin and weak. Three minutes seemed to be the sweet spot for me. I got a pleasant four minute additional steep out of it as well.

As to why I’m torn, I like it though I feel like I prefer the VT Laoshan black, but would really really rather prefer this one because there’s just so much more on offering through YS that I’m enjoying. And the better price point sure doesn’t hurt. I really should have gotten a sample of the Classic Laoshan Black as well. Derp. Oh well.

3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Dry cocoa with a hint of that dark chocolate bitter taste from the first bite.

A different type of taste than the higher grade stuff from Verdant. When it comes down to pairing: this is a tea to enjoy with something, while the Verdant tea is something to drink on its own.

The brew to this smells more appealing after the Classic version—more like a chocolate biscuit. The wet leaves almost smell like a hot cereal with cocoa. There’s something almost liquor smelling about the brewing leaves that leaves me a little dizzy with anticipation. I’ve never had the Godiva chocolate liquor, but it’s how I would imagine it to smell.

The cocoa flavor is much more pronounced than in the YS Classic.; it comes out of my nose as I breathe out. The dark chocolate flavor becomes sugary as it cools, and the flavor turns a little bready. I’m getting chocolate croissant feelings from this tea. There’s a bit of astringency that brews out in subsequent steeps, and any bitterness is like that of a dark chocolate rather than a bitter black tea; it’s very faint.

I did a comparison on the YS Laoshans against Verdant. Full post and photos here: http://www.catlaittea.com/2016/09/05/laoshan-showdown-yunnan-sourcing-vs-verdant/

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Sugar

For those that have been around a while… today we finally got around to submitting my job role for evaluation with HR. As in, after the like year? 2? of going back and forth on what my role should really entail while i do a little of everything…we’re finally getting close to the finish line. What does it really mean? Nothing yet…but the possibility of getting to hire underlings for me and a bump in grade…paving the way for more corporate ladder climbing if i’m so inclined…or yeah..and theoretically a raise. lol

so i had this tea…to celebrate. yay

Evol Ving Ness

YAY! This is likely the road to more thorough appreciation (of you). Hope the result is something you are happy with.

Here’s hoping…been a VERY long road. I’m still overworked and underpaid but i do love what i’m doing so there’s that haha

Evol Ving Ness

And that is a big big thing to love what you do.

OMGsrsly

Fingers crossed re: raise! And also underlings. :D

Ubacat

Congrats and hope all the rest works out!

thanks all!

Nicole/Tea-Historic

Minions are usually always a benefit. :) good luck!

Evol Ving Ness

Unless you need to train them and mentor them and record their progress and rate them.

yeah…haha i will…but i just need help. and contractors = not as time consuming as real employees haha

tigress_al

Congrats!!

I purchased this in hopes of finding a substitute for Verdant’s, since I won’t purchase from them anymore due to their deceptive marketing. This was quite similar to theirs – tiny curled leaves, and a rich malty chocolate type brew. I found this to be a bit lighter and fruitier than what I recall from Verdant. It is quite good.

i think i like the classic grade a tiny bit more from Yunnan…and it’s winning so far against the verdant teas i have in stock atm.

Bought 50g of this a while back and am just now getting around to trying it. It is relatively good. There is a slight malt note. There are some chocolate notes. Also, I’d swear I’m getting a roast note. I don’t think this tea was roasted so maybe I’m misinterpreting something else. Overall I like the tea. As to is it as good as Verdant’s? I don’t think I’ve ever tried Verdant’s so I don’t know.

Steeped this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 3 min.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt