2006 Haiwan * Lao Tong Zhi Raw Pu-erh Tea Brick * 250 grams

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Bert Ankrom

• “Crikey, I got this tea over a year ago and have only sampled it a couple of times. Well, it is young, irresponsible and needs a firm hand. I like it. As I wrote before, it is smoky and slightly...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 235 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Haiwan has been producing this brick since 2002 using the highest grade first flush spring material for its composition. Menghai area tea has been sun-dried, blended and compressed into these lovely bricks! A potent tea with aging potential.

Ex-Manager of the Menghai Tea Factory Mr. Zhou Bing Liang started the Haiwan Tea Factory a few years back. Bringing with him his excellence in selecting, blending and fermenting compressed Pu-erhs. I visited their tea factory in Anning (Mr. Zhou retired here due to abundant hot springs!) and found it to be the cleanest factory I have been to sofar. Due to Mr. Zhou’s deep relationship with producers in the Six Famous Tea Mountain area of Xishuangbanna he has been able to procure (highly sought after) leaves from that region to compose his Pu-erh tea cakes.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Crikey, I got this tea over a year ago and have only sampled it a couple of times. Well, it is young, irresponsible and needs a firm hand. I like it. As I wrote before, it is smoky and slightly sweet, with a bit of astringency that gives it an enjoyable kick. The leaves are chopped and it is probably not the highest quality leaf you ever saw, but it does the job and is making my day go a lot better. For the price ($15/brick) I think it is a perfectly good tea and I am happy with my purchase still. I’ll give it another year and see how it is doing in 2014, although I suspect that teas age slowly in my house (unlike me!).