Imperial Pure Bud Yunnan Black Tea of Simao

Cocoa, Honey, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “Another morning of drinking a quality black tea gongfu session! 5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15/35/45/sec 1/2/3/4/5 min This is a lovely malty & sweet cup! The earliest steepings featured a creamy vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2497 tasting notes
  • “(Note: I purchased the Spring 2012 varietal of this tea. The description was exactly the same, so I figured I’d post under this entry instead of making a new one.) Whoa. This is FRESH. And these...” Read full tasting note
    smartkitty 32 tasting notes
  • “I bought the 2012 varietal as well. I like this tea but it took some adjusting from my part, it is pleasantly sweet and just a hint of malty. You can taste hints of peppercorn but there's something...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 135 tasting notes
  • “I am reviewing the Spring 2012 harvest. This is one of the few Yunnan blacks that I will gladly steep Western when in a hurry, and is a favorite when working at my desk in the afternoon. I use 4...” Read full tasting note
    TeaExplorer 19 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

An incredible premium pure bud black tea. Made from the highest quality high altitude material from Ning’Er county of Simao. Only young bud sprouts are picked and then expertly processed into this delicate and textured Imperial grade black tea!

The tea’s aroma smells of fruit and sugarcane. Sweet in the mouth, with plenty of texture that fills the mouth with a comfortable feeling.

An exquisite artisan tea!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Another morning of drinking a quality black tea gongfu session!

5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15/35/45/sec 1/2/3/4/5 min

This is a lovely malty & sweet cup! The earliest steepings featured a creamy vanilla sensation, which quickly transformed into a rich toasty flavor & a thick mouth. This one shares some qualities with the Jinggu Golden strand that I drank yesterday, as if they were brothers, but of course, it has a personality of it’s own. My favorite steeps were by far the during the first 2 minutes, as the unfolding of a tea & it’s flavors & sensations excites me, but even the last cup had value, with a creamy kind of flavor.

Whoa. This is FRESH. And these leaves just don’t stop delivering. I’m not sure I can offer anything constructive, except to say that as of steep 12, these leaves show no sign of slowing down.

Malty and sweet, absolutely beautiful. My only quibble is that they don’t seem to show much in terms of evolution, aside from the maltiness fading a bit as the steeps progress.

5g in a 5oz gaiwan, 5 sec steeps at max. I mishandled it quite a bit near the beginning, oversteeping for my taste. I’m not that good at gaiwaning, see, and the only reason I can manage it with greens and whites is the lower temperature. I burned my tiny little hands quite a bit while trying to get into the rhythm of the correct technique while making this. The result was that my first five or so steeps were overwhelmingly malty. I wonder if any of my yixings in my collection are good for black teas… Hmm.

Anyway. INTENSE tea. I drank until I was tea drunk and then I had some more. I am still vibrating with caffeine a few hours later. Not sure I should have had black tea so late in the evening. Glad I did nonetheless, this tea is gorgeous.

SimpliciTEA

Wow, 12 steeping and going strong. Amazing!

smartkitty

I was surprised, too! I did have to increase steep times exponentially near the end, but I was very impressed by the staying power.

I bought the 2012 varietal as well. I like this tea but it took some adjusting from my part, it is pleasantly sweet and just a hint of malty. You can taste hints of peppercorn but there’s something else to it that I cant point out, it doesn’t bother me flavor wise, its just one of those times when you taste something you can’t name or describe… yet. I will come back to this one for sure.

I am reviewing the Spring 2012 harvest.

I use 4 grams to 236 ml of 190 F water at 1/2/3/4 minutes, with the last steep reduced to 177 ml. The leaf responds quite well to this treatment. I get aromas of cocoa, honey, malt and occasional hints of vanilla. Although the cocoa does not translate into the cup the sweetness does, especially in the later steeps, accompanied by pleasant citrus notes and a hint of ginger over a medium black tea base. I find myself going “Mmmm” out loud without thinking about it.

Today instead of a hint of citrus I got significant Meyer lemon notes, which was extremely tasty. I’m not sure if it’s because this tea is changing as it ages or if I did something different and did not notice. I’ll pay attention to the next few sessions to see if that is a trend. If so, no complaints!

I’ve already got the spring 2014 harvest on my wish list for my next YS order, and am looking forward to comparing harvests two years apart.

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Oh my! Yum to mayer lemons. YS is next on my “who to order from” list…but I must resist for now, just too many teas in the cupboard!!!!

TeaExplorer

YS is an especially dangerous site to browse. I usually put about $400 worth of stuff in my cart, laugh at my sheer folly, then spend the next three days painstakingly revisiting each page and deleting things until it gets below my threshold of pain.

My cupboard doors are bowing outward, but the spring 2014 harvests are coming in and it’s almost too hard to resist at least a few =:-}

TheTeaFairy

Haha! How do you downsize a $400 order? Painstakingly seems like the proper word :-)
I know what you mean, the other day I started browsing through their pu’erh selection and nearly went crazy with envy! I just exited and have been desperately trying to avoid them ever since. You.are.not.helping. Just saying :-O

TeaExplorer

Several months ago I was joking with some fellow Steepster-ites about starting a ‘12-steep program’. The manifesto would probably go something like “I admit that I’m powerless over tea, and in fact just bought some more. Wanna’ see?”

TheTeaFairy

Ahhh! That’s so hilarious…(and psst… yes…I do want to see…)

Terri HarpLady

TeaFairy, I’d be glad to send you samples of everything I have from YS, if you like.

TeaExplorer, LOL, you & I use the same shopping methods! I spent the weekend building & then destroying shopping carts from a couple of sites, YS was one. It will happen, as I have money in my playpal account from CD sales & such, just begging to be spent.

regarding 12 Steep groups: we did have a group going in the discussions boards for awhile, but everybody kept relapsing & bragging about what they purchased, hahaha

TheTeaFairy

Aww, terri how generous you are…I need to stop ordering tea and swap more I think :-)
I will keep that in mind and PM you when the time is right, thank you so much! Things are out of control, I’m aiming at getting under 300, almost there, but more tea is already on its way!!!
In the mean time, my cupboard is open if you see stuff that is of interest to you :-)

Same goes for you TeaExplorer, I have plenty to share!!