2008 Feng Qing "Feng Shan Yi Hao"

Pu-erh Tea
Floral, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Roughage

• “Very smooth, mild astringency, lightly floral, but no sharp edges. The leaves are very roughly, mechanically, cut in small pieces, it makes them look younger, I think. All in all, good pu erh, but,...” Read full tasting note
    peter-t 21 tasting notes
  • “I bought a couple of bings of this three or four years ago and have been carefully curating them so that they could age properly (or I just forgot they were at the back of the box of tea and drank...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 263 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Feng Shan Mountain in the county of Feng Qing is a series of mountain peaks with altitudes of about 1900 meters. The classic Feng Qing black tea and Pu-erhs were made from this area. This is a premium early spring 2008 production made from Yunnan large leaf varietal tea leaves picked while still small. The tea is characterized by a vigorous cha qi with some wood-like tones and thick somewhat flowery after-taste. This tea would benefit greatly from just a few months (to a few years of storage). Feng Qing tea factory teas have a long history and have proven to be an excellent investment for tea drinkers worldwide!

Product Name: Feng Qing “Feng Shan Yi Hao”
Net Weight: 357 grams
Ingredients: Sun-dried and blended Feng Qing area Pu-erh tea
Produced by Feng Qing Tea Factory

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Very smooth, mild astringency, lightly floral, but no sharp edges. The leaves are very roughly, mechanically, cut in small pieces, it makes them look younger, I think. All in all, good pu erh, but, for me, it lacks a bit of character.

Roughage

That pretty much describes my view of this tea. I wonder if it will age well. Your comment has also made me realise that I have not yet written anything about it. I must remedy that in the near future.

I bought a couple of bings of this three or four years ago and have been carefully curating them so that they could age properly (or I just forgot they were at the back of the box of tea and drank other stuff). I’ve drunk it occasionally since then but singularly failed to write any tasting notes on it. So, in the spirit of procrastinating over writing up the conference I went to, here, finally is my tasting note on the 2008 Feng Shan Yi Hao. Ta da!!

The dry leaf has that gorgeous aroma of warm horse that I like so much. It is a mix of silver and brown small leaves. There is some chopping but there are also whole leaves in the mix. The liquor is dark orange with a lightly floral aroma. It tastes smooth with a silky mouth feel. There is some astringency and a vegetal note. Sweetness develops in the aftertaste which is of an acceptable duration, but there is also a slightly bitter edge to it. This is not a bad tea at all. In fact, it is quite pleasant, especially when the price is considered, but it will not replace the 2005 Tibetan Flame as my everyday puerh, unless it grows significantly in the next few years.

Flavors: Floral, Vegetal