2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Jing Gu Mini Cake" Raw Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Floral, Smoke, Sweet, Tobacco, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

2 Images

• “This will be a long and chatty note. Our internet went out in the middle of the night Sunday night. We had a freak ice/snow storm and turns out the neighbor's pain in the neck willow tree screwed...” Read full tasting note
    Marzipan 305 tasting notes
  • “This sample came from *boychik* It's sad when a tea comes so highly recommended and just isn't doing it for me. I found this one bitter. In a not good way. I did really short infusions with it,...” Read full tasting note
    cheri0627 459 tasting notes
  • “I'm combining two different tastings for this tea. The first was steeped at 175 degrees. I loved the smoky aroma, but the taste was just too harsh to enjoy. The taste was dominated by the...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 143 tasting notes
  • “Nice little tea, thanks to all for the recommendation. I find it quite smoky, though not overpoweringly so. Smoke, tobacco, strong. I didn't get much fruit. And a very nice looking cake. ” Read full tasting note
    RichD 113 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

2011 Yunnan Sourcing “Jing Gu Mini Cake” Raw 100g
Entirely autumn 2011 material from Jing Gu mountain (Yang Ta village) was used to compose this tasty little mini cake. The taste is fruity and sweet but not without a calming cha qi and good mouth-feeling. A perfect little tea cake for drinking or gifting.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This will be a long and chatty note. Our internet went out in the middle of the night Sunday night. We had a freak ice/snow storm and turns out the neighbor’s pain in the neck willow tree screwed up the line. We have been able to tether through our phones to get on for work but it eats up our data so we have been trying to keep it to a minimum. I haven’t been on here much, haven’t been in chat, and I have really missed you guys.

Today was stressful at work. It is the 18th and all of our clients want their projects done early due to the holiday. Normal project cycle is to get it all in before the end of the month, and them nagging and pushing doesn’t make us get anything done any more quickly. It just stresses us out. And, it’s a holiday for us too so of course we would love to be done!

Due to work stress I decided to try this sheng, because I have read about how calming it can be. This sample came from a Steepster friend yesterday. I used 5 g in my fishy gaiwan and did “flash” steeps, as was recommended. I did two rinses. After that, the first couple of steeps were smoky and leathery, but not really in a bad way. After that the tea was much lighter tasting and I started to really enjoy it.

I didn’t get tea drunk like I have with oolong in the past. And to be honest I didn’t think there was much of an effect at all. But about 20 minutes later I was having kitty time and I realized that I was in the most content, blissful and un-stressed state possible. That was the aha moment.

I remember asking the resident Pu heads once if they drink it for the taste or for how it makes them feel. I can really see myself seeking it out for the stress relief. At this point the flavor is still a bit foreign to me, but I am encouraged that I don’t dislike it. I am looking forward to the continued journey.

The taste grows on you for sure. Missed you in chat this week <3

boychik

Yay! You didn’t dislike it. It’s a good start ;)

mrmopar

Small steps will be great strides one day!

Cheri

I missed you in chat, too. And just go slow. If you don’t like an infusion, you can always dump it and see if the next one is better. I know I did that my first few times with pu.

This sample came from boychik

It’s sad when a tea comes so highly recommended and just isn’t doing it for me.

I found this one bitter. In a not good way. I did really short infusions with it, and it was still just tasting bitter to me. The leaf in the bag looked pretty broken, so maybe that was it? I dunno.

It is a good smoky, but the bitter just didn’t go right and did awful things for me.

I’m sad to say that I didn’t like this one.

boychik

I will send you another sample. You are right probably because its broken leaves. At that time I didn’t have a cake. So it was leftover. Now I do have one ;). Will send you soon

Cheri

You don’t have to! I’ve still got so much tea to get through.

boychik

I need to redeem this tea. I thought its quite good and not expensive;)

Sure. No rush.

I’m combining two different tastings for this tea.

The first was steeped at 175 degrees. I loved the smoky aroma, but the taste was just too harsh to enjoy. The taste was dominated by the smoke, with some grass hiding beneath the smoke. By the 6th pot it was starting to smooth out, but still harsh. The nose was always lovely: the best part.

I was disappointed, since I’d just bought 100 grams, but decided to try again at 200 degrees. This time 1st there was the same smoky nose and taste but not the harshness. Lots of cha qi. Powerful, closed-in, just a hint of bitterness. I had about 4 steeps and each one was fairly smooth and full. Good flavors.

I’m perplexed. A month ago I had a sheng that was terrible at 200 degrees, but great at 175. Now I have the opposite. A tip of the hat to boychik, who persuaded me to publish more tasting notes.

Nice little tea, thanks to all for the recommendation. I find it quite smoky, though not overpoweringly so. Smoke, tobacco, strong. I didn’t get much fruit. And a very nice looking cake.

Is this tea really only $5 for a 100g cake??? It is so good, especially for that price! I’m very glad I got a sample of this one from a friend :)

I am getting hints of smoke, and hints of fruit and flowers. Nice mouthfeel, too. Wow, I am going to have to place a YS order sometime soon. YUM!

Cheri

sounds nice, and what a great price!

Terri HarpLady

I love YS :)

i love this tea. its so good.
Its fruity and sweet with some savory smoky meat notes. Smoke is not overpowering, i quite like it.
Gongfu method
5g 100ml gaiwan 200F
rinse/pause/5/3/5/5/10/15/15 sec etc
some bitterness shows up at 3rd steep but nothing major. in fact i like it, makes it more interesting.
This tea was a sample from very generous Steepster fellow. Im so glad to be able to try. Thank you so much.
I’d like to pick up couple cakes, the price is $5.50 on US site

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Cameron B.

Yum yum smoked meat tea! :D

DigniTea

I could not agree more. As you know, I am a big fan of this one and with Scott’s current sale you actually pay less than $5 for this little 100g gem – that’s unheard of!

Oh yum, sounds good!

boychik

Thinking of it makes me hungry;)

Kirkoneill1988

I shall try this tea someday

I got this from a friend to try. I have found it hard to post anything much with all the site issues but this I will.
I used 10 grams in the Gaiwan for this one with a 5 second rinse and about 10 second steeps. This isn’t as dark golden as some other shengs but that wasn’t a problem. This one brews very nice. Smoke is present in the wet leaf and the brew but not to an overly strong note in my opinion. It has a bit of astringency to it but in a nice way. It give a floral and semi-sweet note in the cup. It is a rather “meaty” tea that gives a bit of tingle and a nice mouth filling taste. not thin and weak but with some punch in there.
I looked on the site and price for experience this would be a good tea for the money in my taste profile. Thanks to the generous one that sent it and I think it will be on a future order.

Flavors: Floral, Smoke

10 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
boychik

I’m trying it right now. It is "meaty " and I love it!

A whimsical add-on item that has really paid off. This little 100g cake was quite a surprise – nice flavor, promising chaqi, and good potential for resteeps. The cake is fairly easy to pick apart; the leaf looks beautiful and whole; the tea soup seems clear although not the brightest gold I’ve seen. There is definitely smoke in both the scent of the wet leaves and the flavor of the sips but it is not too heavy and feels more like an underlying rather than dominant theme. The liquor tastes quite fresh and sweet with a bit of astringency but this is quite pleasant and a nice complement to the subtle fruity sweetness. I’ve been through five infusions today and will likely try more tomorrow. The tea is a bit reminiscent of the White Whale and a bargain at $5. I went back to pick up two more to hold onto for two years before I pick off leaves again.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 90 ML
Stephanie

Sounds good! I get to taste the fabled white whale soon, YAY!