"Drunk on Red" Sun-Dried Jing Gu Black Tea mini cake * Autumn 2011

Edit tea info Last updated by Dorothy

• “Hmm, this is ok I guess. It was cheap, but the other black teas I've had from Yunnan Sourcing were WAY better. It has a nice black peppercorn quality, and a sweetness a bit like maple syrup,...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes
  • “Recently I purchased six black teas from Yunnan Sourcing. The shipping rate is reasonable but not cheap, so for me it's worth it to buy a lot of teas (550g total is a lot to me) in one order. On...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 302 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Autumn flush of Jing Gu Yang Ta tea was withered processed into black tea through frying, bruising and withering but then finally sun-dried. The resulting taste is smooth and sweet with expansive cha qi. Yunnan large leaf varietal sund-dried black tea can be aged for several years with subtle changes occuring every 3 to 6 months.

“Zui Hong” aka “Drunk on Red” is a fat little mini cake made by hydraulic press and wrapped 7 cakes per bamboo tong.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Hmm, this is ok I guess. It was cheap, but the other black teas I’ve had from Yunnan Sourcing were WAY better.

It has a nice black peppercorn quality, and a sweetness a bit like maple syrup, but it also tastes a bit like wet dog… Its a smooth tea, but it’s fairly one dimensional and overall not much improvement over decent quality teabag blacks.

I wonder if this wasn’t stored very well? It may have gotten slightly damp at some point or had too much humidity.

Pyra Gorgon

LOL @ wet dog.

That is a really good analogy. Recently, I received a Yunnan 2004 ripe and aged puerh that smelled and tasted like rotten roots. The taste was brutal.

Come to think of it…it did smell a bit like wet dog too!

Recently I purchased six black teas from Yunnan Sourcing. The shipping rate is reasonable but not cheap, so for me it’s worth it to buy a lot of teas (550g total is a lot to me) in one order. On the plus side, my husband mostly drinks black tea at work and this will keep us both well supplied for a while.

Overall I had a nice and mellow six steeps. Nothing really unique caught my attention, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s a pleasant cup of Yunnan black tea to drink, and also fun to pry apart. Not disappointed.

100ml gaiwan, 2 tsp(?), 6 short steeps