2002 Hai Lang Hao "Ai Lao Shan mini cake"

Pu-erh Tea
Camphor, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Dustin La Mont

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Breaking this one out from a a swap with a tea-friend. I got 10 grams of this in the Gaiwan and went to town with it. The wet leaf gave an almost cinnamon aroma to it. Quite an alluring aroma for...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 239 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A simple mini cake produced with the “Ming Xiang Ya Yuan” nei fei, which is the name of Hai Lang’s tea shop. Pure Ai Lao mountain of Simao Spring 2002 material, this little mini cake has been dry aged in Kunming since it’s creation. A nice mellow cake with an orange tea liquor and nice mouth-feeling. A semi-aged taste still with some bitterness and astringency.

100 grams per cake (+/- 5 grams)

White paper wrapper.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

Breaking this one out from a a swap with a tea-friend.
I got 10 grams of this in the Gaiwan and went to town with it.
The wet leaf gave an almost cinnamon aroma to it. Quite an alluring aroma for a puerh.
I started the steeps at about 3 seconds ,3 times for my big “western” cup.
This tea has a light orange color to it. Since it was stored in Kunming it hasn’t aged as much as a wetter stored one. This is very interesting, smoke is definitely present in this brew. It is a bit strong in the early steeps. I read some reviews on Yunnan Sourcings site and only 1 other person noted this. This tea has nice notes of cinnamon , nutmeg and camphor in its notes. It is a very engaging and active tea in the mouth. It lingers on a while after you finish the cup. The resteeps seem to be going well and the flavor profile has not diminished much at all. I will continue on with this tonight. This is campfire, nutmeg ,cinnamon and camphor fighting for their taste note.
Note to smoky notes, if you don’t like them I would not tell you to try this. If you don’t mind this may be an older sheng to relish as it progresses.

Flavors: Camphor, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
TeaBrat

I cannot drink sheng late in the day. it gets me so wired!

PuerhCollector

Hello Mr Mopar,

Very nicely described. I felt like I just drank the tea myself from reading your notes.

Teas that have been processed using dried wood as fuel will retain that smoky fragrance for a long, long time (decades long). Luckily I don’t mind the smoke and it helps me reflect on how things were done in the past.

Best, VP

cookies

Yum, that sounds so good. I’ll definitely be putting a cake in my next YS order.

tea123

Any bitterness or sweetness mrmopar?

mrmopar

tea123 more bitterness is what I noticed. It is a bit punchy at the early stages of brewing.

mrmopar

tea123 I pushed this a bit more and the camphor notes amp up and it does have some sweetness in there. Camphor is way more pronounced.

sansnipple

the one on the us site is a smaller cake than the one on the .com site, 100g vs 200g. I nearly bought one of these last year, really wish i had now, before the price went up, when i first saw them they were like half the current price.

mrmopar

Sansnipple you are correcy!! I didn’t pay attention to that .Thanks for seeing my error. I did go get one from the US site and now I am off tot the other site.