"Drunk on Red" Sun-Dried Feng Qing Black Tea Mini Cake * Autumn 2012

Cream, Malt, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Scharp
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 oz / 134 ml

From Yunnan Sourcing

Second in our “Drunk on Red” series, this year’s production is composed of Autumn flush Feng Qing material. The tea is picked, wilted, fried, bruised by rolling, wet withered under the soon and then finally sun-dried completely. The resulting taste is smooth and sweet with expansive cha qi. Yunnan large leaf varietal sun-dried black tea can be aged for several years with subtle changes occuring every 3 to 6 months.

“Zui Hong” aka “Drunk on Red” is a fat little mini cake made by hydraulic press and wrapped 10 cakes per bamboo tong.

100 grams per cake (10 cakes per bamboo tong)

Autumn 2012 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Found this to be quite enjoyable, however not as rich as I expected it to be especially given the deep red liquor. 7g chunk in a 150ml pot steeped with boiling water. Several infusions before both the color and flavor started to wane. I would definitely up the leaf to 9-10g next time. Nice cha qi. For the price, I would consider buying a tong of this for a nice evening or weekend tea.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Here’s another black tea I am unable to swallow once it hits my tongue.

Tried brewing it six different ways.

Anyone want a solid 50g+ of this?

curlygc

I’ll let you know when I get the sample you sent me!

mrmopar

Oh gosh, I liked the one I have. Maybe green is better for you?.

Liquid Proust

I think the green scale is more my thing… but a really good shou or dianhong is sometimes the best of tea. Overall, oolongs are my favorite; however, I do not enjoy oriental beauty. My favorite teas suggest that black are not something I avoid actually. Maybe I just have really picky taste when it comes to black tea. I literally cannot stand astringency which makes my Darjeeling purchases really expensive because they tend to be first flush :/

tea-junkie

I am definitely interested in this if it’s still available. I’ve actually had my eye on this for a while.

5/14/14
I had fun and tried a little bit of this today. The leaves are very tightly compressed into the cake so I was very gentle in chiseling some off with my pick.
Used about a teaspoon and a half in my little 4 ounce gong fu pot. Using 205F water.
1. 15" rinse
2. 15" smells very good, a light malt, bit of orange cream,,,liquor is a golden sun-orange color.
3. 30" tastes like nice black tea. no bitterness or astringency,,,very tasty.
4. 30" light orange cream flavor, bit of malt,,not so much layered flavor yet but very mild and delish. Leaves have completely opened up now and are a muddy brown color.
Very good and I like mini cakes,,,they are cute ;) lol
__________________________________________________________________________
7/11/14
Chiseled off some tea from this cake this morning. I rinsed the chunks and leaves that I was going to brew with room temp purified water. Then brewed Western style with about 2 heaping tsp tea in a 2 cup pot. 195F water for 3 minutes.
Liquor is a nice deep auburn red color and smells malty. I like this tea, has no bitter or astringency and just good old cream, malt, and a touch of orange flavor. Well-balanced easy drinking tea in a fun little cake.
____________________________________________________________________________
8/2/14
Chiseled off a bit of this today for a couple of cups. Brewed Western style in 8oz cup size pots. Did an immediate rinse with room temp water then brewed in 190F water for 3 minutes. The tea is so tightly compressed that the leaves come off in some chunks and some dust so the tea changes flavors because of this. I brewed one cup with more chunk pieces and one cup with smaller pieces and flakes. Right now I am drinking the cup that was more chunky and it is good with flavors of orange zest and subtle malt and cream. The cup with smaller pieces actually has more depth and gives off more cream notes on the nose. Both examples are good black tea with no astringency or bitterness, only a note of orange zest with a nice balance.

Flavors: Cream, Malt, Orange Zest