Jin Guan Yin Anxi Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

1 Tasting Note View all

From Yunnan Sourcing

Jin Guan Yin (金观音) is a cross between Tie Guan Yin and Huang Jing Gui! Young Huang Jin Gui tea bushes are cut and then Tie Guan Yin varietal is grafted with it. After 2 years the plant is producing this “Gold Guan Yin”!

The taste and aroma is very unique carrying with it the thick sweet after-taste of Huang Jin Gui (as well as increased infusability) but has the penetrating aroma and unique Guan Yin taste! There is a slight creamy almost milk aroma to it in early infusions!

Autumn 2012 Harvest from Gande Village of Anxi

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

From the EU TTB

I think I’ve got this in the right place – what I’m drinking is described as “Autumn 2014 Premium Jin Guan Yin AA Grade Anxi Oolong”. I think I’ve probably known it for a while, but this is the tea that finally made me realise that I prefer green oolong to roasted. That struck me as odd at first, considering that black tea is such a favourite of mine, but it appears to be the case. I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 2.5 minutes in water cooled to around 185 degrees. The leaves are rolled, but they unfurl easily and it’s kind of calming to stand and watch. Just what I need, this week. The resulting liquor is a pale, clear green.

This one is quite thickly floral, and tastes primarily of orchids to me. Underlying that it a mild, buttery vegetal flavour, a little like spinach, and underlying that is a touch of something mineral, like wet rock. It’s so smooth, and so full flavoured – even though typically I shy away from floral-tasting teas, I actually kind of like it here. Oolong will never be my absolute favourite, but I definitely have less against it than I used to. It’s teas like this one that have really shown me that there are things to like about it, and I’d happily drink this one again.

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp