Jin Guan Yin Anxi Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Grass, Orchid, Perfume, Cream, Fruity, Jasmine, Kale, Osmanthus, Spinach, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

From Yunnan Sourcing

Jin Guan Yin (金观音) is a cross between Tie Guan Yin and Huang Jing Gui! Young Huang Jin Gui tea bushes are cut and then Tie Guan Yin varietal is grafted with it. After 2 years the plant is producing this “Gold Guan Yin”!

The taste and aroma is very unique carrying with it the thick sweet after-taste of Huang Jin Gui (as well as increased infusability) but has the penetrating aroma and unique Guan Yin taste! There is a slight creamy almost milk aroma to it in early infusions!

Autumn 2012 Harvest from Gande Village of Anxi

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This is a cross between Tie Guan Yin and Huang Jing gui, the latter of which I dont have any experience with. Apparently yellow and reminiscent of osmanthus , this TGY is grafted onto these trees and Jin Guan Yin is born!

Its delightful, has a more dark green leaf flavour than other TGY, perhaps, but very slight. Its not bitterness, but reminds me of holly for some reason. Not that ive ever eaten holly.

Spinach, kale, and something else (osmanthus?) i dont recognise is in there. Tastes a bit ‘short’, and tiny amount less creamy or thick as others, but this is a very slight amount – Im having the premium TGY now as a comparison and I cant really tell much of a difference, maybe the TGY is a bit more like wet greens, perhaps some fruit in there, but it isnt much of a difference.

As to which i prefer, not sure really, im going to have to be really discerning to choose – these are both good TGY-type and its such a wondrous flavour i wouldnt throw either out of bed. Apparently the JGY can be steeped for longer so I will try that next, I drank these back-to-back to see if there was a big flavour difference, this is the second time ive done that and there really isnt much in it. – both delicious, this might just nip the TGY by one point!

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Fruity, Jasmine, Kale, Osmanthus, Spinach, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more 2 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

From the EU TTB

I think I’ve got this in the right place – what I’m drinking is described as “Autumn 2014 Premium Jin Guan Yin AA Grade Anxi Oolong”. I think I’ve probably known it for a while, but this is the tea that finally made me realise that I prefer green oolong to roasted. That struck me as odd at first, considering that black tea is such a favourite of mine, but it appears to be the case. I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 2.5 minutes in water cooled to around 185 degrees. The leaves are rolled, but they unfurl easily and it’s kind of calming to stand and watch. Just what I need, this week. The resulting liquor is a pale, clear green.

This one is quite thickly floral, and tastes primarily of orchids to me. Underlying that it a mild, buttery vegetal flavour, a little like spinach, and underlying that is a touch of something mineral, like wet rock. It’s so smooth, and so full flavoured – even though typically I shy away from floral-tasting teas, I actually kind of like it here. Oolong will never be my absolute favourite, but I definitely have less against it than I used to. It’s teas like this one that have really shown me that there are things to like about it, and I’d happily drink this one again.

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp