2010 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Bang" Ancient Arbor Pu-erh tea cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by shakirah1984

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is very floral in aroma and wet leaves. It is soft and fruity and very easy to drink with a nice sweetness to it. This is not one of those young shengs that says Bam I am here but a whisper...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 188 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Late Fall 2010 ancient arbor material from Yi Bang.

This Yi Bang tea is special in that it is not large leaf varietal but rather a primitive small leaf varietal that has grown in this area for hundreds if not thousands of years. Like other small leaf varietal wild arbor tea trees in Yunnan (Jing Mai), the flavor is lighter and more smooth, but the aroma is pungent and fruity.

Map of the location of Yi Bang Village is located just below
View Larger Map

This year’s autumn production comes from hundreds of year old tea trees!

This tea was compressed in a small tea factory in Yi Wu town where unusually large 40 kilogam stone presses were used. Low temperature (35C) “baking” was used to dry these cakes after the compression process thus preserving their integrity! In total just 30 kilograms of this tea has been produced. We have delayed sales of this cake for more than 4 weeks to allow the water vapor from pressing to dissipate. Further aging will only improve this wonderful tea!

View my tasting notes here (Yunnan Sourcing Blog)

Net Weight: 250 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong)

Compression date: October 15th, 2010

Harvest time: October 2010

Harvest Area: Yi Bang, Meng La county of Xi Shuang Banna

Total Production amount: 120 cakes (30 kilograms)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

This is very floral in aroma and wet leaves. It is soft and fruity and very easy to drink with a nice sweetness to it. This is not one of those young shengs that says Bam I am here but a whisper that says I am here to tickle those taste buds. A very nice young sheng. I think a Yunnan Sourcing order is in the near future.

TheTeaFairy

Whoa, this description is appealing… I really want to get more educated on pu’erh…I’ve had a couple of shengs so far that I really enjoyed, but shou is what I end up having most of the time in the form of mini tuocha.

The Shengs I’ve tried seemed a lot more refined and less robust than shou. Let’s just say I am really far from buying my first cake of anything, lol!

As I read your reviews, you seem to be the Pu’erh Bible around here!!!

I will continue reading them and get more knowledge along the way, thanks :-)

looseTman

“As I read your reviews, you seem to be the Pu’erh Bible around here!!!”
I couldn’t agree more! However, mrmopar modestly insists that he’s a “newbie”.

Dexter

(Is there room in TeaFairy’s box for me to put in a piece or two off a sheng cake……hmmmm…..maybe……)

Sammerz314

Very nice review!

TheTeaFairy

(Cute Dex, very cute, yes pleeeeeze!!!)

Terri HarpLady

I’ve been fighting the urge to visit Yunnan Sourcing’s page lately. Little Terri insists that since our birthday is next week, we deserve it. Ms Theresa has issued an office reminder that we have a YS order somewhere in the mail already, AND that somebody (I’m not saying who) placed an unapproved Verdant order last friday night.

__Morgana__

Sounds lovely.

mrmopar

I am still a “newbie”. TeaFairy do you like a strong, middle strength or soft tea. Puer sheng and shou are somewhat easy to categorize in this manner. Some are a whisper and some are a smack in the mouth. Lots of choices out there. If you find a level that you are comfortable in strength I think I could give a pointer or two.

Thanks mrmopar,
Hard to say really, cause I haven’t had enough exposure to it yet to really make up my mind about that, I’m pretty much a “like to try everything” type of gal, but let’s say I gravitate a little more torwards “medium”…Bout really, I like all three categories, depending of the mood I’m in or just out of pure curiosity :-)
P.S. Just curious: if you’re a “newbie”, what am I ??? Lol!

mrmopar

You are right there with me!